PDA

View Full Version : Manu: "If the team wins by 25 and I don't score, I'll sign off on that"

ElNono
05-01-2017, 04:27 PM
If the team wins by 25 and I don't score, I'll sign off on that
by Manu Ginobili

It was a physical and tough series that we overcame against the Grizzlies, we knew it was going to be like that. But after the first two games we played, we thought we could do better in the following two in Memphis. On the third game we didn't play well, although we could've won the 4th game. They had a great series after game 3 and we couldn't play comfortably at any point after that. They physical defense made it tough on us. The paint was always full of people. Kawhi [Leonard] had to fight a lot, the bigs fought with Zach [Randolph] and Marc [Gasol], which was very physical. With all these difficulties we were able to turn the series around and close it out in game 6, to have a few days of rest before the Houston series. These are important days to recover from the bruises and plan ahead.

Everything is going to be different now. Memphis is a physical team that attacks the paint a lot while Houston is a team of speed, fast pace and 3 pointers. They're difficult to guard, because of their dynamism, the shooters, Harden [James], because of how they stretch the court. Basically because of their style of play. It will be a less physical series, but with a lot of wear and tear playing transition defense. The smaller players will have to guard bigger ones, and the taller ones small guys. We should be very alert on the pick and roll, cover the 3 ball, etc. It means a lot of wear but a different kind of wear. They're a dangerous team, they finished 3rd in the regular season, and even though we beat them 3 times then, all the games were complicated and very difficult to win.

We know we're in the semis of the Western Conference now, but we prepare for the specific opponent, not the stage of the competition. We know we have to focus on the fact that we're playing a completely different team that we played on the first round. We're facing a more talented team, with more offensive resources. We have to execute our gameplan. Personally, I'm also not preparing in any special way. I'll try to do what's needed at any given time. We have to see how they're going to defend Kawhi's pick and roll, if they're going to send help and leave shooters open, or just allow a two on two. From there one knows how to help out. Besides that, I'll do what I always try to do, give the team some energy, and that the ball moves from one side to the other. Make sure the second unit has the necessary pace. It's not going to change my game, the question is how does the team responds to the challenge.

In this series we're all going to have to chip in in order to move on. Like it happened in games five and six against Memphis, where Tony [Parker], due to his play, tilted the series in our favor. Kawhi is always determinant, but in the playoffs every possession counts. That's why when a player like Tony shows up, it's important. That's what having a deep team affords you. In the two crucial games, Patty [Mills] was critical in one, and Tony [Parker] in the other one. Having that kind of resources is what gives you better odds of winning in the playoffs.

I know it was a weird series for me. In the first game, between the hit I received and the big scoring difference we managed early, I didn't really focus on scoring. Although, at this stage of my career, if the team wins by 25 and I don't score, I'll sign off on that. So it's not a big deal. Game two was similar. And I really didn't have many options, and the few I had I missed. But I didn't feel like I slacked. Ball just didn't go in, and the team was playing great. What did bother me was what happened in Memphis, because the team at that point did need more from everyone. Those two games affected me a bit more. In the fifth game I sorta went back to the roots, let the game come to me, be more aggressive, try to make some stuff happen. And I scored early, which changed things for me. I scored the first shot and everything opened up. And on the sixth game, I had few chances, because some defenses give you less opportunities than others. And the reality is that I'm no longer a focus on offense. I have to take shots and make decisions if the game plays out that way, if it doesn't happen, I have to find the open teammate. That's my role on the team.

I found out what coach Fitzdale said, but it wasn't clear t me why. I thought he was complaining about me for something, and I actually said I was helping him due to my level of play. Then I heard he was tired of me, but in jest. The reality is that we're all tired of each other, we've seen eachother's faces many times. They were like 6 games between March and April. And I think coach was saturated, like we we're tired of them.

There was also a picture that showed up of Pop laughing after I scraped by face on the floor when fighting for possession with Carter [Vince]. My wife showed me the picture, and I honestly didn't remember that moment. So, I showed Pop the photo and asked him what he was laughing about. He said that in reality he wasn't laughing at me, that was his expression of pain due to the situation. That's what he said anyways... I should check SportsVu and re-watch the video to corroborate if he was laughing or not.

----

Original in spanish here: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/2019364-a-esta-altura-de-mi-carrera-si-el-equipo-gana-por-25-puntos-y-yo-anoto-0-firmo

Phenomanul
05-01-2017, 04:35 PM
The last paragraph is funny... typical Manu. They're family - enjoying the ride.

hater
05-01-2017, 04:41 PM
Sit him the entire game and you increase the chances of both happening tenfold

SAGirl
05-01-2017, 04:51 PM
Hmmm Manu revealed switching is going to be a strategy.
..... not that it's that big of a reveal they have played like that the entire season (and been exposed for it at times)... good luck Manu. :toast HOpefully you don't come out not scoring tbh :lol

8FOR!3
05-01-2017, 05:21 PM
I still think he's misinterpreting Fizdale's comments I think Fizdale meant what he said as a complement, as in "we don't want to have to play against that guy anymore"

MultiTroll
05-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Retro side point, I thought Carter landing on Manus head was completely on purpose.
Now I'm not saying Vinces intent was to injury but imo totally a frustration foul after Manu picked him.
Watch how he grabs Manys shoulder to stop Manus momentum then plants right on his head. Almost like aims.

Chinook
05-01-2017, 05:35 PM
I'd sign off on that shit too for $14 Million.

BatManu20
05-01-2017, 05:39 PM
What a legend. Last paragraph was funny. Thanks for the translation ElNono