PDA

View Full Version : Pop adjustments for Game 2...

ElNono
05-01-2017, 10:53 PM
- Play better...

:lmao:lmao:lmao

100%duncan
05-01-2017, 10:54 PM
-Make some shots

Robz4000
05-01-2017, 10:54 PM
Hit more shots.

jag
05-01-2017, 10:55 PM
"Make shots"

timtonymanu
- More Lee, less Dedmon
- don't get mad at Aldridge or he will cry
- leave their shooters open
- ride or die with Tony and Manu

Aggie Hoopsfan
So true. Time to play the 'soft' card while simultaneously trashing Dedmon for losing his composure.

The best adjustment for Wednesday would be for Pop to go on a wine bender Wednesday and miss the game completely.

mexicanjunior
- More Lee, less Dedmon

:lol

Amuseddaysleeper
05-01-2017, 10:56 PM
This series is over

testies
05-01-2017, 10:56 PM
Don't start fights with them, lets lose with class.

spurraider21
05-01-2017, 10:57 PM
- dont be soft

apalisoc_9
Don't start fights with them, lets lose with class.

:lmao

midnightpulp
There's honestly nothing he can do from an Xs and Os standpoint.

This is the reality: If you don't have a roster that make 3s at around 35-40% at volume, you can't win. Simple as that.

Spurs just need to hope the Rockets go cold, which is always a possibility, since assholes get tight in the post-season, but other than that, there's really nothing the Spurs can do to counter save for a roster overhaul.

NASpurs
05-01-2017, 10:59 PM
-register an account on here and bump the "Offseason" thread

jag
05-01-2017, 11:00 PM
This series is over

Pull yourself together

Darius Bieber
05-01-2017, 11:00 PM
It's over, Rockets will sweep.

urunobili
05-01-2017, 11:01 PM
We are not as bad as we looked today and they are not as good as they looked today

bic50
05-01-2017, 11:02 PM
This series is over
Not quite. Game 2 could turn out completely different. But if they go down 0-2 then I agree it's over.

kaji157
05-01-2017, 11:03 PM
Pop will gameplan for Houston instead of going again with his gameplan for Memphis.

james evans
05-01-2017, 11:04 PM
Guys we must realize that Danny green snit gonna hit any shots for the rest of the playoffs. Bring him off the bench. He's the only guys no one is worried about hitting shit. He can't even hit free throws. Aldridge is terrified to shoot and he's just turning the ball over. Paker is playing against guys that are gonna get physical with him and we see how that ends. We;e fucked if some changes aren't being made. If you want to start Lee, start him in Aldredge's spot. start Dedmond.

spurtech09
05-01-2017, 11:07 PM
I just hope this loss wakes up the Spurs.......

Nathan89
05-01-2017, 11:07 PM
This series is over

cosigned

UZER
05-01-2017, 11:08 PM
Create a diversion by talking about Trump when someone calls him out.

YGWHI

This is the reality: If you don't have a roster that make 3s at around 35-40% at volume, you can't win. Simple as that.

Spurs just need to hope the Rockets go cold, which is always a possibility, since assholes get tight in the post-season, but other than that, there's really nothing the Spurs can do to counter save for a roster overhaul.

Or they can defend the 3-point shots, forcing them to miss...

Cant remember how many uncontested 3's Rockets hit this game...Many open shooters in the perimeter.

spurtech09
We are not as bad as we looked today and they are not as good as they looked todayTrue....Rockets will not shoot like that again...

So true. Time to play the 'soft' card while simultaneously trashing Dedmon for losing his composure.

The best adjustment for Wednesday would be for Pop to go on a wine bender Wednesday and miss the game completely.
I'm all for Becky taking over.

james evans
05-01-2017, 11:09 PM
Or they can defend the 3-point shots, forcing them to miss...

Cant remember how many uncontested 3's Rockets hit this game...Many open shooters in the perimeter.
The same amount that we had, but we just can't shoot worth shit

Arcadian
05-01-2017, 11:09 PM
Don't be faggots

mexicanjunior
05-01-2017, 11:10 PM
True....Rockets will not shoot like that again...

They don't have to...they could cut the Rockets 3's in half and still get blown out...

FkLA

Mouth is Bleeding
we can never in a million years defend the Houston 3s with two bigs and probably not with any of Lee or Gasol on the floor either.

DAF86

There's a lot he can do.

Mills, Green, Kawhi, Bertans, Aldridge. There you have a lineup that can make 3's at a 35/40% rate with volume.

Bertans, Anderson and Kawhi. There you have 3 guys that can play the 4 while keeping up with the Rockets style.

YGWHI
05-01-2017, 11:12 PM
Pop will gameplan for Houston instead of going again with his gameplan for Memphis.

A few days ago, I asked you if Spurs defense isnt that good...A lot of Memphis non-shooters looked like Curry and Klay. Now, Spurs are playing against a team with true shooters...And the Spurs defense doesnt improve.

YGWHI
05-01-2017, 11:19 PM
The same amount that we had, but we just can't shoot worth shit

Agree. We dont have elite shooters, just shitty guards.

But the Spurs defense is supposedly better than Rockets. I expected they give us many opportunities but didnt think the Spurs would let them wide open that much.

DMC
05-01-2017, 11:20 PM
:pop: We weren't physical, weren't mentally tough. Sure we missed shots but I thought they got up into us and we didn't respond. I'm disappointed.

:pop: Good thing I hired David Lee, Pau Gasol and Aldridge along with Kyle Anderson for their proven toughness in the playoffs.....

Somewhere along the way Pop et al began to accept that, if they can find diamonds in the rough so often, they could also take a turd and make a diamond from it if they wanted. After all, it's the system not the players. You can plug anyone into the system as long as they don't have any self respect (or ego) and it will work.

SAGirl
05-01-2017, 11:20 PM
There's nothing you can do if Lamarcus is playing that badly. I thought it wasn't a good idea to start Lee...
At one point the pace was so hectic... Pau wasn't even getting back on offense... offense..

midnightpulp
05-01-2017, 11:21 PM
There's a lot he can do.

Mills, Green, Kawhi, Bertans, Aldridge. There you have a lineup that can make 3's at a 35/40% rate with volume.

Bertans, Anderson and Kawhi. There you have 3 guys that can play the 4 while keeping up with the Rockets style.

Those players shoot about 27 threes per 36 minutes. The Rockets core 5 shoot about 40 per 36.

In addition to that, the Rockets have a bench filled with chuckers. They can go 10 deep with the volume chucking while the Spurs only have like 3 or 4 players.

I do like Bertans in this series, but there's nothing the Spurs can do to "out offense" the Rockets. It'll have to be a combination of the Rockets choking and the Spurs playing inspired defense to offset that 3 point disadvantage.

FkLA
05-01-2017, 11:21 PM
A few days ago, I asked you if Spurs defense isnt that good...A lot of Memphis non-shooters looked like Curry and Klay. Now, Spurs are playing against a team with true shooters...And the Spurs defense doesnt improve.

I seriously have no idea how they led the league at defending the 3PT shot in the regular season. It's been nothing but wide open threes for the opponent all playoffs long smh.

peacemaker885
05-01-2017, 11:23 PM
Spurs need a leader.

Aggie Hoopsfan
I seriously have no idea how they led the league at defending the 3PT shot in the regular season. It's been nothing but wide open threes for the opponent all playoffs long smh.

Because the bulk of the year when we were earning that percentage, we weren't starting Lee and Aldridge.

DAF86
Those players shoot about 27 threes per 36 minutes. The Rockets core 5 shoot about 40 per 36.

In addition to that, the Rockets have a bench filled with chuckers. They can go 10 deep with the volume chucking while the Spurs only have like 3 or 4 players.

I do like Bertans in this series, but there's nothing the Spurs can do to "out offense" the Rockets. It'll have to be a combination of the Rockets choking and the Spurs playing inspired defense to offset that 3 point disadvantage.

We don't need to "out-offense" them. Playing small helps us defend them better.

noles1983
05-01-2017, 11:24 PM
Pop adjustments: Let Becky coach because crater face is not in the game anymore.

YGWHI
05-01-2017, 11:24 PM
Pop---"Adjustments for next game? Nah...It's JUST game 2. I'll wait until the elimination game to do some desperate move..I guess...Start Boban...Oh wait..."

UNT Eagles 2016
05-01-2017, 11:25 PM
Start anderson, simmons, murray, mills, and Bertans. Punt away the series and move to Seattle.

bic50
05-01-2017, 11:26 PM
Spurs need a leader.
A leader that's over themselves?

FkLA
05-01-2017, 11:27 PM
Because the bulk of the year when we were earning that percentage, we weren't starting Lee and Aldridge.

Is it as simple as inserting Dedmon for Lee though? I doubt it. Our perimeter guys are doing such a piss poor job of contesting. So discouraging.

apalisoc_9
05-01-2017, 11:28 PM

DMC
05-01-2017, 11:29 PM
Is it as simple as inserting Dedmon for Lee though? I doubt it. Our perimeter guys are doing such a piss poor job of contesting. So discouraging.

No, Dedmon is useless. Spurs have played a soft, finesse style of game all season and that doesn't work well in the playoffs. They'll either recover big time or they'll get blown out again. They don't have the horses to compete with the style of play they showed tonight.

apalisoc_9
05-01-2017, 11:30 PM
Adjustment number 1 Dont trashtalk

midnightpulp
05-01-2017, 11:33 PM
We don't need to "out-offense" them. Playing small helps us defend them better.

Of course, but that small ball lineup will need rest. Then what?

Like I said, the Spurs roster as a whole is at a disadvantage here.

Shooters can go cold, though, so there's hope, and if that happens, the Spurs style is more dependable, but if the Rockets stay with 35-40 percent from 3, this series is over.

UZER
05-01-2017, 11:37 PM

Hey, I wasn't too far off. He made a "fake news" joke. :lol

DarrinS
05-01-2017, 11:38 PM
Sweep the leg?

spurtech09
05-01-2017, 11:41 PM

Shooters can go cold, though, so there's hope, and if that happens, the Spurs style is more dependable, but if the Rockets stay with 35-40 percent from 3, this series is over.one game and the series is over lol

DAF86
05-01-2017, 11:41 PM

Shooters can go cold, though, so there's hope, and if that happens, the Spurs style is more dependable, but if the Rockets stay with 35-40 percent from 3, this series is over.

Tony, Green, Kawhi, Bertans, Aldridge.
Mills, Manu, Simmons, Anderson, Pau/Dedmon.

There you have a rotation that can keep its own on this matchup. Depending how each guy is playing on any given night you can shuffle around the minutes and shorten the rotation, or even give Murray and Forbes some spot up minutes here and there to see what they can do.

gambit1990
05-01-2017, 11:42 PM
rockets are quicker than the grizzlies, spurs will have to defend even better. memphis got 3s off, houston shoots them more.
you can't teach quickness.

spurs offense will be better but it has to be better than the rockets' and they shot 50 3s.

rockets will shoot worse at some point but they can move the ball, have harden as a shot creator.

harden has to believe in his passing. he had 14 assists and only 13 FGA :tu that is team basketball.

marinoman
05-01-2017, 11:44 PM
Start Parker and mills, green is useless
start bertans/dedmon not lee
lma has to be aggressive, tell him to look to score or tony will fuck his girl, actually tony may fuck his girl regardless

NASpurs
05-01-2017, 11:45 PM
Start Parker and mills, green is useless
start bertans/dedmon not lee
lma has to be aggressive, tell him to look to score or tony will fuck his girl, actually tony may fuck his girl regardless

HarlemHeat37
05-01-2017, 11:48 PM
OKC kept it close in 4 out of their 5 games vs. Houston because the Rockets made 11 3s or less, tbh, mostly missing wide open shots..they only shot lights out in 1 of the games IIRC..contested or not, going cold is a reality when you're extremely reliant on 3-point shooting without the defense or interior scoring to back it up(assuming Spurs keep them off the FT line)..

Even after making obvious adjustments(like benching avid Lee), their only chance in the series will still be Houston going cold..pounding them inside isn't going to work with unreliable bigs like Aldridge and Gasol, and obviously Houston has a major advantage in the backcourt..

It would also help if Pop didn't call a timeout and overreact every 30 seconds..

rasuo214
05-01-2017, 11:48 PM
What's the point of the regular season if Pop doesn't learn from it? The Spurs need to go small/more mobile (either Anderson or Bertans at the 4). The Spurs bigs are not going to "impose their will" so it becomes a disadvantage to play with 2 bigs on both offense and defense.

MaNu4Tres
05-01-2017, 11:50 PM
Sit Lee and Pau the rest of the series.

Start LA, Kawhi, Green, Simmons, Parker.

Subs: Dedmon, Anderson, Bertans, Manu, Mills.

That's the only chance the Spurs have.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-01-2017, 11:51 PM
OKC kept it close in 4 out of their 5 games vs. Houston because the Rockets made 11 3s or less, tbh, mostly missing wide open shots..they only shot lights out in 1 of the games IIRC..contested or not, going cold is a reality when you're extremely reliant on 3-point shooting without the defense or interior scoring to back it up(assuming Spurs keep them off the FT line)..

Even after making obvious adjustments(like benching avid Lee), their only chance in the series will still be Houston going cold..pounding them inside isn't going to work with unreliable bigs like Aldridge and Gasol, and obviously Houston has a major advantage in the backcourt..

It would also help if Pop didn't call a timeout and overreact every 30 seconds..

So the Spurs are finished, basically.

sananspursfan21
05-01-2017, 11:51 PM
We are not as bad as we looked today and they are not as good as they looked today

Dis

ElNono
05-01-2017, 11:52 PM
we still have no answer for Harden

rasuo214
05-01-2017, 11:55 PM

There you have a rotation that can keep its own on this matchup. Depending how each guy is playing on any given night you can shuffle around the minutes and shorten the rotation, or even give Murray and Forbes some spot up minutes here and there to see what they can do.

I agree but I'd probably swap Bertans with Anderson in the SL.

DesignatedT
05-01-2017, 11:55 PM
I agree more small ball with simmons getting minutes is a key. If Pop is going to play two bigs one of them has to be Dedmon on the floor. The only one who can hold his own defensively out on the perimeter. I don't mind Pau getting spot minutes at the five with Capela opposite of him and Leonard at 4.

Gotta switch up P&R defense. Might want to look at going under on screeens and letting Harden jack them up. Avoids the cheap fouls he creates as well as the wide open threes elsewhere. Even if he goes like 5/12 or something it might be worth it.

05-01-2017, 11:56 PM
Rockets sign Nene, we sign washed up Pau Gasol :lmao

Rockets pick up Lou Williams for peanuts, Spurs stand pat :lmao

This season was lost in the offseason

gambit1990
05-01-2017, 11:57 PM
i agree with the first part more than the second.

the rockets will get easy looks all series. spurs didn't even have to think about dealing with a lob when they played against memphis.

objective
05-01-2017, 11:57 PM
Mills can't guard anyone on the Rockets, that's a problem

SAGirl
05-01-2017, 11:58 PM

I do agree with you in one thing... Lamarcus is likely a center against teams like this and he maybe doesn't want to accept it.. or Pop simply refuses ... but he can't punish small ball. It sounds ridiculous to say it, but it's not. I can't believe how low Lamarcus has fallen. I would say well maybe he had a bad game but we have seen this b4.

Lamarcus will need to be better and they may need to get away from posting him up. I don't know what to tell you. They won't win with this version of Lamarcus but maybe Pop finds a group that gives more space for Kiwi and Tony and that gives better effort. Maybe the younger guys grow up with this experience and you get film for next season's team and it helps Pop decide who to keep.

I am not sure if I am delusional thinking Pop would consider things like that.^

DAF86
05-01-2017, 11:58 PM
SMALLBALL

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267965&p=8988936#post8988936

tmtcsc
05-01-2017, 11:59 PM
I wonder what cartoon Manu will tweet about tonight. SMH.

Ugh, I can never fault that man. He was finished a couple of years ago but he still competes as hard as he can. The body just won't do what the mind asks of it at a certain point.

This shit is on Aldridge and Green.

05-02-2017, 12:03 AM
I wonder what cartoon Manu will tweet about tonight. SMH.

Ugh, I can never fault that man. He was finished a couple of years ago but he still competes as hard as he can. The body just won't do what the mind asks of it at a certain point.

This shit is on Aldridge and Green.He should've retired, would've forced PATFO to actually do something for once

midnightpulp
05-02-2017, 12:10 AM
one game and the series is over lol

No. I think the Rockets choking is a probable reality.

J_Paco
05-02-2017, 12:18 AM
No, Dedmon is useless. Spurs have played a soft, finesse style of game all season and that doesn't work well in the playoffs. They'll either recover big time or they'll get blown out again. They don't have the horses to compete with the style of play they showed tonight.

That would make a lot sense if Houston and Golden State didn't also play a "soft, finesse" style as well, but the actual difference is those teams shot three-point shots at a much higher volume than SA.

Knowing him, Pop won't make the necessary changes (go small, re-insert Dedmon to the starting rotation, bench either Lee or Gasol, etc.) until the team is on the brink of elimination.

The lack of a quality 3rd or 4th guard/wing is going to become more and more apparent the longer this series goes, sadly.

YGWHI
05-02-2017, 12:25 AM

The Spurs can survive 30 pts-13 asts-game from Harden but they can't win if their role players shoot over .50 FG% and .50 3P% like tonight.

We already saw that. Harden wasnt that good in some games vs OKC but Rockets had Nene scoring 28 pts in an elimination game.

If their role players will outscore our role guys that badly...Spurs dont have a chance in the series.

J_Paco
05-02-2017, 12:25 AM

When people are literally afraid to defend behind the three-point line with his constant baiting of the refs - who consistently give him that bogus "rip through" or offensive player initiated "body contact" - it puts the defense at an even bigger disadvantage.

I wish the NBA would clean a lot the flopping offensive players do (Kawhi included at times), but this apart of the "entertainment" package.

HarlemHeat37
05-02-2017, 12:29 AM
Harden is going to put up numbers, regardless, he's one of the best offensive players of all-time..like YG said, Spurs need to limit the role players..

I'd also consider giving up more Harden 3s as opposed to playing the drive, honestly..he went through long-ass shooting droughts during the RS, he isn't consistent in that facet of his game..

BackHome
05-02-2017, 12:34 AM
COACH BETTER

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-02-2017, 01:06 AM
There are a lot of things that can be fixed from this horror show. It's only one game, they've shown they can win in Houston.

- start Dedmon and let him chase Ryan Anderson on the PnR instead of LaMarcus,
- keep LMA on Capela,
- if this doesn't work play small with Anderson at the 4, he'd match up well defensively, but they'll be leaving him wide open on offense, like Simmons, and double Kawhi, he'd have to hit shots too,
- see if Bertans can keep up with Ryan Anderson,
- if not put Kawhi on Ryan Anderson, prevent PnR with him, switching would be easy,
- limit Lee and Gasol minutes, when they're in they should not be paired with another big and should be on Capela or Nene,
- don't switch on the PnR, stick to the shooters and let Harden score - he usually starts with the mindset to distribute and not to shoot, also their shooters will not gain confidence,
- self explanatory, but limit turnovers and don't let them run as much,
- slow the game down by running plays on the low block, even if it's not working perfectly, Houston's offense is much worse in the half court and they can just as like go 5-for-35 on 3s for a game,
- more Kawhi on the PnR with whoever their big is guarding, crash the offensive glass,
- no line-ups with 2 non-shooters ( and I'm generously counting Parker as a shooter here )

HI-FI
05-02-2017, 01:09 AM

MaNu4Tres
05-02-2017, 01:18 AM
Harden is going to put up numbers, regardless, he's one of the best offensive players of all-time..like YG said, Spurs need to limit the role players..

I'd also consider giving up more Harden 3s as opposed to playing the drive, honestly..he went through long-ass shooting droughts during the RS, he isn't consistent in that facet of his game..

I'd go under on his PnRs. Kawhi and Green were going over constantly and Harden had them locked on his back hip inducing help which opened up the weakside.

It's not just Harden though, all of HOU wings can create off hard close outs or are more competent in PnRs than the Spurs wings/guards ( outside of Kawhi). It hurts the 2nd best initiator or creator on the Spurs is being defended by the best defensive PG in the league. He held TP in check.. TP is a net negative this series.

apalisoc_9
05-02-2017, 01:23 AM
There are a lot of things that can be fixed from this horror show. It's only one game, they've shown they can win in Houston.

- keep LMA on Ariza,
- if this doesn't work play small with Anderson at the 4, he'd match up well defensively, but they'll be leaving him wide open on offense, like Simmons, and double Kawhi, he'd have to hit shots too,
- if not put Kawhi on Ryan Anderson, prevent PnR with him, switching would be easy,
- limit Lee and Gasol minutes, when they're in they should not be paired with another big and should be on Capela or Nene,
- don't switch on the PnR, stick to the shooters and let Harden score - he usually starts with the mindset to distribute and not to shoot, also their shooters will not gain confidence,
- slow the game down by running plays on the low block, even if it's not working perfectly, Houston's offense is much worse in the half court and they can just as like go 5-for-35 on 3s for a game,
- more Kawhi on the PnR with whoever their big is guarding, crash the offensive glass,
- no line-ups with 2 non-shooters ( and I'm generously counting Parker as a shooter here )

Not fair to david lee..

cd021
05-02-2017, 01:46 AM

:lmao :lmao

cd021
05-02-2017, 01:58 AM

- keep LMA on Ariza,

Didn't watch the game yet (probably won't now). Wouldn't it make more sense to just start Anderson or Bertans at the 4 and have LMA play the majority of his minutes at the 5 with Dedmon as his backup?

HarlemHeat37
05-02-2017, 02:00 AM
Pop needs to think long-term, too..don't give Pau a single minute, make sure he's disgruntled and will opt out during the off-season, tbh..

BillMc
05-02-2017, 02:04 AM

objective
05-02-2017, 02:08 AM
Pop needs to think long-term, too..don't give Pau a single minute, make sure he's disgruntled and will opt out during the off-season, tbh..

Best case scenario​, imho

Pau is a lazy mess. No hustle.

He's basically what 2016 playoffs broken down Duncan was if Duncan was a lazy, no spirit waste.

DAF86
05-02-2017, 02:08 AM

Good idea, tbh.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-02-2017, 02:13 AM
Didn't watch the game yet (probably won't now). Wouldn't it make more sense to just start Anderson or Bertans at the 4 and have LMA play the majority of his minutes at the 5 with Dedmon as his backup?

It does make sense to me, but I find it unlikely that he'd go with such a radical change - from Lee and Gasol being his 2nd and 3rd bigs to no minutes at all. They were struggling with rebounding anyway and offensive rebounding should become a priority and a weapon for the Spurs in this series, in which neither Anderson, nor Bertans help. This is more of a desperation elimination game strategy, I think, although Bertans and Anderson don't need to start to make a difference and if only one of them shows he can give them 20 good minutes, this would be very important.

Dingle Barry
05-02-2017, 02:18 AM
- More Lee, less Dedmon
Funny and sad because it's true as fuck.

Darius Bieber
05-02-2017, 02:31 AM
Only real adjustment for Game 2 is to bring lube this time.

Budkin
05-02-2017, 02:33 AM
We played them just fine in the regular season, this game was an absolute fluke. We may still lose the series, but the games will be close.

99 Problems
05-02-2017, 02:43 AM
The Grizz knocked down shot all series long and I thought they must have had Beal & Booker shooting. Now Rockets going off on perimeter. Fundamentals need adjusting and we have now 6 games to adjust tbh.

HarlemHeat37
05-02-2017, 02:46 AM
Since the 3-point era began, home teams that lost a playoff game by 25+ ultimately lost 26 out of the 32 series' where this occurred:lol

OTOH, though, if you narrow it down to the semis, it's only 5 out of 8 series:toast

siraulo23
05-02-2017, 02:54 AM
Sit Lee and Pau the rest of the series.

Start LA, Kawhi, Green, Simmons, Parker.

Subs: Dedmon, Anderson, Bertans, Manu, Mills.

That's the only chance the Spurs have.

Yep gotta go small, play Bertans heavy minutes, play Kawhi at the 4. Hope Simmons, Bertans to play well and Aldridge to play with toughness

siraulo23
05-02-2017, 02:57 AM

YGWHI
05-02-2017, 02:59 AM
Since the 3-point era began, home teams that lost a playoff game by 25+ ultimately lost 26 out of the 32 series' where this occurred:lol

OTOH, though, if you narrow it down to the semis, it's only 5 out of 8 series:toast

I wonder what's Pop's record in playoffs series after losing the 1st home game...

They won the series vs CP3-Hornets after losing game 1 and 2 but those games were on the road

siraulo23
05-02-2017, 03:23 AM
This game actually reminds me of games 1 and 2 vs GSW years ago. Except the Spurs dont exactly have Duncan, Splitter. They stuck with Aldridge, Gasol Lee and Dedmon. The spurs have 2 problems, personnel and gameplan. One of them is unfixable, its over

SAGirl
05-02-2017, 03:35 AM
Been thinking about this. The Spurs entered the second half down 30. They weren't going to win this. Pop wasn't going to show any adjustments in a losing effort so one can hope

horsielove
05-02-2017, 03:54 AM

:lol :lol

YGWHI
05-02-2017, 04:26 AM
Been thinking about this. The Spurs entered the second half down 30. They weren't going to win this. Pop wasn't going to show any adjustments in a losing effort so one can hope

Watching Pop, LMA and Kawhi postgame interviews...It seems like Pop's plan gonna be the same...Slow the pace, stay big, play Lee/Gasol over Dedmon, and feed LMA for missed shots.

Kawhi literally said they need to give LMA more shots... :shootme

Ginobili2Duncan
05-02-2017, 04:37 AM
The good news
- The Spurs were embarrassed and are completely aware they played out of character. Maybe pride sets in for a much better showing for Game 2.
-Dedmon and Simmons still competed despite the score. Obviously that won't win them the series. But when you're at a talent disadvantage you at least need some tough guys to come in and ruffle the feathers. It might energize the more passive players on the team.
- Houston won't make 22 3's for the rest of the series

The bad news
-This series might end being about x's o's adjustments, it could be personnel then Spurs are at the mercy of the Rockets.
-Houston could've made half those 3's and still won the game
-LaMarcus has lost all confindence
-No idea what Parker will contribute in this series with Beverly watching him.

Probably a lot more that I'm missing tbh :lol

duncan2k5
05-02-2017, 05:12 AM

Bertans is a decent defender...but I'm not sure he can guard harden when they switch the pick and roll...I dont even know why we switch...go under...allow harden to shoot over his big man...he isn't Stephen curry

DMC
05-02-2017, 06:55 AM

Spurs only lost by 1. The rest of the points were useless.

cd98
05-02-2017, 07:16 AM
Easy. Make shots including layups so Rockets don't get to play uptempo and get fast break 3s.

RD2191
05-02-2017, 07:21 AM

Strategic
05-02-2017, 08:25 AM
Forget everything that it took to beat the Griz.

urunobili
05-02-2017, 08:46 AM
The problem is that if Pop plays the "fluke" game card and doesn't make any adjustments, we're looking at a 0-2 hole...

hater
05-02-2017, 08:52 AM
Break Hardons knee

Thats the only chance we got

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-02-2017, 08:53 AM
The problem is that if Pop plays the "fluke" game card and doesn't make any adjustments, we're looking at a 0-2 hole...

It was not a fluke game, although they may not shoot that well again in the series. That's exactly the way they play and the way they've played the whole season, they have no plan B, but Pop pushed all the wrong buttons in game one. They got all the shots and all the mismatches they wanted. He'll adjust but if Spurs shoot 30% on wide open 3s, while they shoot 50% then no adjustments would matter anyway.

lebomb
05-02-2017, 10:20 AM
Trade for Westbrook tonight in a covert operation on the westside behind HEB.

SAGirl
05-02-2017, 10:32 AM
Watching Pop, LMA and Kawhi postgame interviews...It seems like Pop's plan gonna be the same...Slow the pace, stay big, play Lee/Gasol over Dedmon, and feed LMA for missed shots.

Kawhi literally said they need to give LMA more shots... :shootme
He's such a great teammate. <3
Hopefully his teammates don't let him down!

bklynspursfan
05-02-2017, 10:42 AM

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-02-2017, 10:50 AM

When in a playoff series have you ever seen Pop adjust, outside of changing the starting line up one game too late?

emanueldavidginobili
05-02-2017, 11:09 AM
I mean the team shot 36% for the game. You can't expect to win if the team can't hit a damn shot.

Russ
05-02-2017, 11:13 AM
Houston's D was swarming the Spurs on the perimeter, taking away the passing lanes.

The Spurs weren't just afraid to shoot, they were afraid to even pass -- a frightening development.

The Spurs were simply were being destroyed confidence-wise by the Rockets' quickness on both ends of the floor.

That quickness, however, was somewhat illusory -- they still have Ariza, Anderson, Capella, etc. and those guys haven't suddenly become sprinters.

The problem was scheming -- Houston overplayed the Spurs on the perimeter and the Spurs couldn't make them pay down low with their bigs.

I think Pop should start Gasol or sub him in quick if Aldridge doesn't amp things up. If the Spurs can't go inside out on the Rockets, a cascade of bad things happen, including jumped passes and fast breaks the other way.

The last time I saw the Spurs getting jumped this bad on their perimeter passing was last year's OKC series -- not a pleasant memory.

SAGirl
05-02-2017, 11:15 AM
When in a playoff series have you ever seen Pop adjust, outside of changing the starting line up one game too late?
I have only seen what you said. In that case he might be too inflexible for post TD-era coaching..

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-02-2017, 11:19 AM
I have only seen what you said. In that case he might be too inflexible for post TD-era coaching..

You have not seen Pop make adjustments and coach his ass off in the 2014 title run?

SAGirl
05-02-2017, 11:21 AM
You have not seen Pop make adjustments and coach his ass off in the 2014 title run?
I did but in reality his adjustments were Diaw... then Kawhi was balling.... it was a simple change in the starting lineup... though he did it timely. I give credit to the players for that series. These guys are not those guys... that's why I said he might be too inflexible. I hope to be wrong of course.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-02-2017, 11:25 AM
I did but in reality his adjustments were Diaw... then Kawhi was balling.... it was a simple change in the starting lineup... though he did it timely. I give credit to the players for that series. These guys are not those guys... that's why I said he might be too inflexible. I hope to be wrong of course.

Totally disagree, he made a lot of adjustments in all series, except for Portland, which was easy and fairly straight-forward. Other than that he coached amazingly and beat two teams that were better than the Spurs on the way to a championship. The past two seasons, I agree he's been bad in the playoffs, not counting this season yet though, I think he did very well against Memphis.

TDomination
05-02-2017, 11:46 AM

Spurs had plenty of open looks, just gotta hit those shots. It will do wonders for their confidence on defense and for all the other parts of the game.

The first 3 minutes of game 2 are going to be critical in my opinion. This Spurs team looked rattled and they need some kind of confidence back. If they go down early once again then its probably game over. But if we're able to maintain a lead in the first, then our guys should be able to play Spurs ball and hopefully find a way to win.

TDomination
05-02-2017, 11:47 AM
And I think of last year, we beat up on OKC in game one but somehow the Thunder found a way to win game 2.

I'm hoping the spurs can do the same.

TheGreatYacht
05-02-2017, 12:40 PM
Third year in a row the Spurs look old as shit. It's obvious this team needs athleticism and it's there on the roster, unfortunately the worst adjuster of all time is running this team. He will die with his tired old shit bags.

Dedmon/Aldridge
Bertans/Anderson
Leonard/Simmons
Green/Mills
Murray/Parker

This would be my lineup. It's nearly identical to Houston's tbh. Dedmon matches up with Capela, Bertans with Anderson, Green with Ariza, Murray with Beverley, and Kawhi with Harden. Tony and Patty have shown to be a great offensive burst and having them coming off the bench can match what Houston gets from Lou and Gordon. Aldridge can go to the bench and get his touches there without taking any from Kawhi. Finally, I inserted Kyle and Simmons in there because I like what they brought yesterday (turned a 40pt blowout into only a 27pt blowout)

r0drig0lac
05-02-2017, 01:17 PM

damn

HarlemHeat37
05-02-2017, 01:19 PM
Of course the Spurs can generate open shots all game, Houston's defense is very mediocre..obviously getting in a shootout with them is a stupid game, though, the Spurs only have 2 or 3 shooters that could potentially get hot, while Houston has at least 6..I don't care how many open shots the Spurs generate, they aren't beating Houston if they make more than 12-13ish 3s per game..

MaNu4Tres
05-02-2017, 01:26 PM
Of course the Spurs can generate open shots all game, Houston's defense is very mediocre..obviously getting in a shootout with them is a stupid game, though, the Spurs only have 2 or 3 shooters that could potentially get hot, while Houston has at least 6..I don't care how many open shots the Spurs generate, they aren't beating Houston if they make more than 12-13ish 3s per game..

Yeah I'm curious to know how many of those uncontested looks were long 2 jumpers tbh. Even if they go in at a 60% clip one game that's not going to win games considering HOU never shoots them and optimizes the 3 ball.

HarlemHeat37
05-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Houston shot 31% on open/wide open 3s vs. OKC..during the RS, they shot 31% or worse 18 times..in 12 of those games, they lost by double-digits..

They're a beatable team, but the Spurs have no chance if they're playing lineups with 2 bigs, especially Gasol and Lee(Pau could be fine when Harden is on the bench and Nene is on the court, but limited stints)..it's bad enough when Houston is hot from 3, but you don't have a chance at winning the series if you're allowing them to penetrate at will vs. the slow-ass Spurs bigs..

Keepin' it real
05-02-2017, 01:45 PM
Mills can't guard anyone on the Rockets, that's a problem

It would be less of a problem if he took and made more 3s.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-02-2017, 01:52 PM

Truth.

bklynspursfan
05-02-2017, 02:03 PM
Totally disagree, he made a lot of adjustments in all series, except for Portland, which was easy and fairly straight-forward. Other than that he coached amazingly and beat two teams that were better than the Spurs on the way to a championship. The past two seasons, I agree he's been bad in the playoffs, not counting this season yet though, I think he did very well against Memphis.

+1

How quickly people forget.

bklynspursfan
05-02-2017, 02:05 PM
Spurs had plenty of open looks, just gotta hit those shots. It will do wonders for their confidence on defense and for all the other parts of the game.

The first 3 minutes of game 2 are going to be critical in my opinion. This Spurs team looked rattled and they need some kind of confidence back. If they go down early once again then its probably game over. But if we're able to maintain a lead in the first, then our guys should be able to play Spurs ball and hopefully find a way to win.

Agreed. Can't have another slow start. Even if its back and forth (obviously would prefer it not be) just to have shots falling will be a +.

NameLess Scrub
05-02-2017, 04:18 PM
This team and series is so messed up, they should just go small and play exactly like the Rockets, as a joke.
Just run around chucking 3s. I don't care if Parker is not good from there.

Harden -> Parker
Beverly -> Green
Ariza -> Kawhi

etc

therealtruth
05-02-2017, 09:10 PM
+1

How quickly people forget.

He was motivated from the pain of 2013.

cjw
05-02-2017, 09:30 PM
They don't have to...they could cut the Rockets 3's in half and still get blown out...

Actually, you cut their threes in half and the Spurs win the last game by 6 (like how Houston shot against OKC, though that was irregular as well). If the teams shoot to their season averages (39.1% for Spurs and 35.7% for Houston), Houston is down 12.5 points and Spurs are up 7 points, accounting for most of the difference. The volume at which Houston shoots them though gives them a huge advantage if they hit above average.

Disconcerting stats are getting outscored in the paint by a lot even when losing the three point battle by 39. And assist total was weak till later in the game as was the fast break point discrepancy.

tbdog
05-02-2017, 09:35 PM

Also Rockets did not make one, not one midrange shot. All were 3, FT, Paint.

GSH
05-02-2017, 10:00 PM
- Play better.

Translation: Don't suck.

Pop's pissed at everybody... except himself. :lol

ace3g
05-02-2017, 10:12 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-1xssmXcAAvYAu.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-1xtstXYAAxSgG.jpg:large

spurs10
05-02-2017, 10:49 PM
Well my adjustments for tomorrow night's game was to pull my tickets from the "re-sale" page, change my schedule, and go to the game. I know, win or lose, we will play hard. As many have said, we blew out OKC and lost game 2. It can happen. Also if we lose it might be Manu's last game. I don't think so, but you never know. Know he'll go down swinging! :ihit
:flag:

GSH
05-02-2017, 10:57 PM
Well my adjustments for tomorrow night's game was to pull my tickets from the "re-sale" page, change my schedule, and go to the game. I know, win or lose, we will play hard. As many have said, we blew out OKC and lost game 2. It can happen. Also if we lose it might be Manu's last game. I don't think so, but you never know. Know he'll go down swinging! :ihit
:flag:

I love Manu. It's been a privilege to watch him play. But it really should be his last year. Unless he's playing with some injury we don't know about, he needs to get a suit and a clipboard. I kept thinking most of this season that he was going to get it together and be the old Manu. He had some flashes, and even a few pretty good games. But he's not going to be the old Manu again. And this Manu we wouldn't have loved to watch all these years.

Ditty
05-02-2017, 11:47 PM
Want to see these matchups, and live with it:

Aldridge or Gasol- Capella
Kawhi - Anderson
Bertans or Anderson :rolleyes - Ariza
Green - Harden
Parker - Beverly
Dedmon or Gasol - Nene
Mills - Williams
Manu - Gordon

No Gasol on the floor when Harden is out there. No more David Lee at least in this series. If we are going to stay big at least have Dedmon out there for his energy/hustle at least.

BillMc
05-02-2017, 11:53 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-1xssmXcAAvYAu.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-1xtstXYAAxSgG.jpg:large

I wonder if Pop asked Timmy to be there today. Sometimes you gotta beat a guy down, other times you have to help a guy up and get his confidence and head right. I'm betting Pop and Timmy did more of the later today with LMA.

Spurs still very much alive.

Ditty
05-03-2017, 12:03 AM
I remember when Dick had a four point game in a game one loss against Dallas in 2010, and came back the next game and put up 19 points to steal home court and eventually win the series. Hope LA has the same type of response/motivation Dick had game two. Don't get to a level worse than Dick, LA...

objective
05-03-2017, 12:09 AM

Wonder what the breakdown is of the competitive portion of the game, at least before the lead hit 20.

spurs10
05-03-2017, 12:10 AM
I love Manu. It's been a privilege to watch him play. But it really should be his last year. Unless he's playing with some injury we don't know about, he needs to get a suit and a clipboard. I kept thinking most of this season that he was going to get it together and be the old Manu. He had some flashes, and even a few pretty good games. But he's not going to be the old Manu again. And this Manu we wouldn't have loved to watch all these years. Yeah you can only play so long. I was in doubt about his return, but these playoffs have not been a great indicator he's got another year in him. Part of the reason I went to a lot of games. Tim took us by surprise.

TampaDude
05-03-2017, 07:26 AM
Retire.

MaNu4Tres
05-03-2017, 08:08 AM
Wonder what the breakdown is of the competitive portion of the game, at least before the lead hit 20.

I'm more curious to know the mid-range/long 2 uncontested look to uncontested 3's ratio for SA ( We know Houstons). His tweet doesn't clarify that and that's very important to know.

cd98
05-03-2017, 10:56 PM
Pop with the middle finger to Spurstalk. Did nothing that posters suggested and won by 20.

HarlemHeat37
05-03-2017, 10:58 PM
Pop with the middle finger to Spurstalk. Did nothing that posters suggested and won by 20.

That's just a product of Houston, tbh, as some of us said before the series..they could easily win next game by 30 again, extreme, super high variance offense that we've never seen before..

HarlemHeat37
05-03-2017, 11:30 PM
I'd go under on his PnRs. Kawhi and Green were going over constantly and Harden had them locked on his back hip inducing help which opened up the weakside.

Harden 2-9 from 3, continuing his horrid shooting slump..seems like a no-brainer, at this point..

MaNu4Tres
05-04-2017, 12:06 AM
Harden 2-9 from 3, continuing his horrid shooting slump..seems like a no-brainer, at this point..

Kawhi actually went under a lot tonight. So did Danny.

Small ball helped a lot defensively.

sasaint
05-04-2017, 12:12 AM
Third year in a row the Spurs look old as shit. It's obvious this team needs athleticism and it's there on the roster, unfortunately the worst adjuster of all time is running this team. He will die with his tired old shit bags.

Dedmon/Aldridge
Bertans/Anderson
Leonard/Simmons
Green/Mills
Murray/Parker

This would be my lineup. It's nearly identical to Houston's tbh. Dedmon matches up with Capela, Bertans with Anderson, Green with Ariza, Murray with Beverley, and Kawhi with Harden. Tony and Patty have shown to be a great offensive burst and having them coming off the bench can match what Houston gets from Lou and Gordon. Aldridge can go to the bench and get his touches there without taking any from Kawhi. Finally, I inserted Kyle and Simmons in there because I like what they brought yesterday (turned a 40pt blowout into only a 27pt blowout)

Pop raising Deadman from the grave to the starting lineup? Not Pop. Tbh, I like the idea, although I don't think your proposed starters have spent much time at all playing together. That would likely hurt their chemistry a lot.

SnakeBoy
05-04-2017, 12:16 AM

That's why he gets paid and the posters don't.

playbonner15
05-04-2017, 12:27 AM
I think there was a run where Pop went older with Parker, Manu, Gasol :lol

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-04-2017, 12:57 AM
Pop made quite a few tweaks actually, without anything too major and it worked but it's interesting how much of this is sustainable, how much of it is a product of Houston's not great shooting and whether he should stick with this for game 3. He'll need to change things because of Tony, of course, and it seems Simmons has earned some minutes.

Also interesting is whether Houston have adjustments of their own, or do they have only one way of playing and will stick to it. Very high variance, as Harlem mentioned.

MaNu4Tres
05-04-2017, 01:00 AM
That's why he gets paid and the posters don't.

That's why Pop went small for half of the game?

And started going under PnRs?

Spurs 10 point lead at halftime got cut into 5 going into the 4th after playing traditionally w/ two bigs all of the third.

In the 4th, Pop went small and never looked back. Small ball the whole 4th quarter and Spurs won the frame by 19.

A lot of us were calling for those things.

YGWHI
05-04-2017, 01:14 AM
I think there was a run where Pop went older with Parker, Manu, Gasol :lol

He shouldnt.
No more two days of rest between games where travel is necessary...Next game is Friday. Olds guys will suffer this second round schedule

SAGirl
05-04-2017, 01:22 AM
That's why Pop went small for half of the game?

And started going under PnRs?

Spurs 10 point lead at halftime got cut into 5 going into the 4th after playing traditionally w/ two bigs all of the third.

In the 4th, Pop went small and never looked back. Small ball the whole 4th quarter and Spurs won the frame by 19.

A lot of us were calling for those things.
He went small bc Aldridge picked up a 4th foul with minutes left still in the 3rd. His hand was forced. Simmons woke up from a slumber though and the small ball ran away with the game ... then Tp got hurt and Ithink he played the hot hands that got him the big lead. That was smart on his part, specially considering TP going down . Not to mess up a good thing, but I didn't get the impression he planned it.

spurtech09
05-04-2017, 01:29 AM
Strange I was looking at the replay and I thought Parker injured his right knee the way landed on the right leg.....Weird no doubt......but he injures his left knee which idk how it happened....guess it just happened in mid air......

Robz4000
05-04-2017, 01:44 AM
Starting Gasol didn't help much other than his activity on the boards helped extend possessions a bit. In the second half, however, him being the smallball big really made a difference when Nene was paired against him. He still can't post up to save his life and he had a couple dumb turnovers trying to do so, but him being by far the tallest player on the floor made a difference.

Not sure what the Spurs can do about LMA; Parker going down is gonna keep him from getting the ball in his spots more often. Prolly just gonna have to hope he gets his fadeaway/turnaround jumper going or he just won't be playable.

Lee should prolly not see anymore minutes in this series except garbage time or in very limited stints. He just can't do anything positive defensively and his offense does nothing to come close to offsetting it.

Loved Simmons' energy/intensity; he seems to be taking this matchup personally and his shot is returning again. Would definitely consider starting Simmons if Pop doesn't feel comfortable with Murray. Kawhi has gotten used to playing with the ball in his hands more and with Gasol starting Simmons can be more dangerous as a slasher/finisher thanks to his playmaking from the high post.

Green has actually low-key been pretty effective dribbling the ball into the paint those postseason. It's only been 6 or 7 possessions but he's found ways to score when he's been decisive. When he couldn't decide what he wanted to do he's turned it over, so hopefully he makes quicker decisions instead of overthinking things.

FkLA
05-04-2017, 01:48 AM
Strange I was looking at the replay and I thought Parker injured his right knee the way landed on the right leg.....Weird no doubt......but he injures his left knee which idk how it happened....guess it just happened in mid air......

It was when he planted to go up for the tear drop. You can tell he felt it once in the air because he purposely landed on his right leg and went out of his way to not put pressure on the left leg.

SAGirl
05-04-2017, 01:54 AM
It was when he planted to go up for the tear drop. You can tell he felt it once in the air because he purposely landed on his right leg and went out of his way to not put pressure on the left leg.
awww ouch. It sounds bad. I have not seen replays so appreciate this... ouch.

MaNu4Tres
05-04-2017, 02:04 AM
He went small bc Aldridge picked up a 4th foul with minutes left still in the 3rd. His hand was forced. Simmons woke up from a slumber though and the small ball ran away with the game ... then Tp got hurt and Ithink he played the hot hands that got him the big lead. That was smart on his part, specially considering TP going down . Not to mess up a good thing, but I didn't get the impression he planned it.

Small ball was implemented at the start of the 2nd/4th quarters. He stuck w/ it in 4th after it went well initially.

Spurs/Pop actually went to it for about half of the game.

And if it wasn't in the plans like you're implying, Pop could have easily replaced LA w/ Dedmon or Lee to pair up w/ Gasol (like he did game 1), but he didn't.

Raven
05-04-2017, 02:09 AM
well look at that.. some actual adjustments...

polandprzem
05-04-2017, 03:37 AM
well look at that.. some actual adjustments...

Keeps ppl wonder why he is making milions coaching one of the best teams in sports history while you having just an access to the Internets