PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts

TD 21
05-02-2017, 04:33 PM
Since I'm far too important to have my thoughts scattered about and buried under the shit storm that has ensued here in the past 20 or so hours . . .

- I said 6, but I already think a '10 Suns style embarrassment is upcoming and whether they eke out a game or not, either way this is going to be short and one sided

- I'm surprised by the lack of cliché, vanilla, blind faith "it's only 1 game" takes as a scroll through some of this, but it isn't: I can't remember a series where the team with home court got shredded and looked so defeatist in game 1 and recovered to win the series

- You could see it on both teams faces from the jump, like they both knew the Spurs had no foundational or strategic answer for defending them, no lineup suited to do so either, nor the firepower to keep up

- Pop compounded matters by panicking and frantically searching for a lineup that would work, including lineups that almost never play together . . . nothing sends a message to both teams that your team is in trouble like conceding immediately and conforming to the opposition

- Unfortunately, as usual he'll come out of this largely unscathed in the aftermath, while the media mostly focuses on Aldridge, Parker and Ginobili

- Aldridge has definitely regressed some, but more importantly, he's clearly lost all confidence and can't take the pressure of playing for a franchise of this stature and with this expectation and being expected to partially carry the load

- The first two of those three things go for Green as well and that combined with his clear distaste for the way they've changed post '14, has probably led to him not looking the same

- I called all of this in the off season, early in the season and periodically throughout, so I'm not surprised, but this team is definitely done in a general sense and like anyone else seriously interested in attempting to contend for a championship, will need to conform to Warriors/Cavaliers/Rockets ball in order to stand a chance going forward

- I don't even think they can pull another fools gold regular season out of their ass if they bring the majority of this back: I'd expect this group to regress closer to 50 wins and a mid seed

- Leonard is obviously untouchable; otherwise, Murray and Bertans should be kept (unless, of course, like 99% of athletes, they're blown away) and they should look to re-sign Dedmon or failing that Reed for the MLE, but everyone else should be shopped hard - in play

Amuseddaysleeper
05-02-2017, 04:36 PM
The best thing about this team getting exposed early in the playoffs (I saw this back in November, Spurs are not a top 3 team in the league and the worst Spurs team of the decade, not even close anymore) is that it'll force the FO to clean house as this team desperately needs it. Very poorly constructed roster, and trying to win from the midrange game is an incredibly dumb way to "outsmart" the league. It's a shooters league and the Spurs hardly have any consistent ones.

gospursgojas
05-02-2017, 04:42 PM
So OP is saying Houston will always make 22 three pointers? Pop hasn't even tried small ball yet. Calm down.

MaNu4Tres
05-02-2017, 04:45 PM
TD 21 can I co sign?

Oh wait I practically already did last summer.

Keepin' it real
05-02-2017, 04:46 PM
The best thing about this team getting exposed early in the playoffs (I saw this back in November, Spurs are not a top 3 team in the league and the worst Spurs team of the decade, not even close anymore) is that it'll force the FO to clean house as this team desperately needs it. Very poorly constructed roster, and trying to win from the midrange game is an incredibly dumb way to "outsmart" the league. It's a shooters league and the Spurs hardly have any consistent ones.

Early? It's the 2nd round just like last year. They won 60+ games just like last year. Nothing will change.

SpursFan86
05-02-2017, 04:51 PM
Agree with pretty much all of this, except for I still think we have a decent shot at beating Houston. No way in hell are we beating GS, though, and this team needs major changes if we want to be legitimate* contenders in this league.

*to be fair to PATFO, it's extremely fucking difficult to be a legitimate contender when Curry/Klay/KD/Draymond are all on one team

TD 21
05-02-2017, 04:57 PM

:tu

Great point, forgot to mention that it's actually for the best.

If this somehow ends up even somewhat close, they can try to spin it, but a '10 Suns style thrashing is undeniable.

So OP is saying Houston will always make 22 three pointers? Pop hasn't even tried small ball yet. Calm down.

This is the shit I was referencing . . . I thought it would be Dex to the rescue, but knew it would be an old timer all the same.

22 is a bit extreme, but the reality is the Spurs aren't built to play small, the big don't have the mobility to prevent them from generating great looks consistently and the Rockets are due to progress to the mean from 3.

Hoops Czar
05-02-2017, 05:16 PM
While a lot of that is true, it was just one game and in most cases, one game's result rarely transfers over to the next game when two teams are pretty evenly matched.

Spurs beat the Clippers 100-73 in game three, 2015 and lost the series in seven.

Spurs beat the Thunder 124-92 in game one, 2016 and lost the series in six.

The Rockets shot from three point range vs a pretty mediocre Thunder defense...

Game 1 - 10-33
GAME 2 - 11-29
Game 3 - 10-35
Game 4 - 11-35
Game 5 - 6-37

Game 1 vs Spurs 22-50 (44%)

The series is far from over and I don't expect the Rockets to shoot nearly 45% from three on 50 attempts per game. The Rockets played a near flawless game while the Spurs played one of their worst postseason games ever.

SAGirl
05-02-2017, 05:17 PM
"Since I am far too important..." everyone has the same feeling about themselves here... :lol

coachmac87
05-02-2017, 05:25 PM
Spurs gonna blow it up alright...they're going for CP3.

TDomination
05-02-2017, 05:30 PM
While a lot of that is true, it was just one game and in most cases, one game's result rarely transfers over to the next game when two teams are pretty evenly matched.

Spurs beat the Clippers 100-73 in game three, 2015 and lost the series in seven.

Game 1 - 10-33
GAME 2 - 11-29
Game 3 - 10-35
Game 4 - 11-35
Game 5 - 6-37

The series is far from over and I don't expect the Rockets to shoot nearly 45% from three on 50 attempts per game. The Rockets played a near flawless game while the Spurs played one of their worst postseason games ever.

Wow thats pretty incredible. They doubled up their best performance from the first round in the first game of the series. And i think it was shown last night that it was the 2nd most 3's in playoff history.

What is it with teams and shooting so well against the Spurs. Freakin Grizzlies looked like the Warriors for a little bit there. Everyone is amped to beat the spurs it seems like. Saving their best games for them.

If Rockets win this series, i can see them never coming close to 20 threes against the warriors and just bricking every wide open attempt. Seems to always happen

spursistan
05-02-2017, 05:50 PM
Agree with most points outside the blame game part. I think the dam has broken with regard to Pop criticism-- at least on national level-- and it's been long overdue.

They are probably going to lose a 3rd consecutive series they were favored in (2 with HCA) in no small measure due to him pushing the wrong buttons-- though they seem to be more outmatched in reality in this one..

gospursgojas
05-02-2017, 06:02 PM
This is the shit I was referencing . . . I thought it would be Dex to the rescue, but knew it would be an old timer all the same.

22 is a bit extreme, but the reality is the Spurs aren't built to play small, the big don't have the mobility to prevent them from generating great looks consistently and the Rockets are due to progress to the mean from 3.

I can agree with you on that the Spurs aren't built for small ball....perhaps that's why Pop says he wont use it. That high P&R with Harden and Ryan Anderson was killer, but I got to hope that Kyle/Simms/Bertans can hedge and get out to shooter quicker than LMA was able to.

Unfortunately, Pop will prob just adjust to switching and leave LMA on Harden to get killed-ala Conley- Gasol/Zbo

DarrinS
05-02-2017, 06:11 PM
Will everyone's opinion change if the Spurs win big tomorrow night?

apalisoc_9
05-02-2017, 06:17 PM

Unlikely. If they win the next two and poop shows desire to make adjustment..possibly.

coachmac87
05-02-2017, 06:38 PM

Last night for me gave me the big picture..this team isn't championship caliber. If we're struggling this bad with Houston...GSW is gonna be a blood bath

DMC
05-02-2017, 06:40 PM
No way the Spurs clean house. They are in the 2nd round of the playoffs. They are 7 extra game box offices richer than they would have been if they missed. Blowing it up costs more than keeping it together. Lebron and CP3 aren't coming.

DMC
05-02-2017, 06:46 PM
Last night for me gave me the big picture..this team isn't championship caliber. If we're struggling this bad with Houston...GSW is gonna be a blood bath

GSW is going to be a blood bath for anyone facing them. Only Houston stands a chance and even then only if they can stay hot from outside and bully the fuck out of Curry and KD. Even then you'll get beaten by Dray and Klay, so Spurs just lack the weapons for long range warfare. They are urban assaulters, not snipers.

benefactor
05-02-2017, 06:48 PM
"Since I am far too important..." everyone has the same feeling about themselves here... :lol
He's the biggest fag on this forum. His self importance has been a thing since he arrived here. He used to cry because when his post count was still low he felt disrespected:lol. He'd go out of his way to challenge LJ's takes to get noticed.

baseline bum
05-02-2017, 06:59 PM
- I'm surprised by the lack of cliché, vanilla, blind faith "it's only 1 game" takes as a scroll through some of this, but it isn't: I can't remember a series where the team with home court got shredded and looked so defeatist in game 1 and recovered to win the series

Boston vs Chicago last round

TD 21
05-02-2017, 07:08 PM

It's called a joke.:wakeup

News of Thomas's sisters death was fresh, Bulls won by 4, then lost Rondo after game 2.

8FOR!3
05-02-2017, 07:09 PM
Aldridge could be playing injured, or he could be effected by heart medications or something he's taking, but let's just assume he can't handle the pressure all of a sudden.

DMC
05-02-2017, 07:18 PM
Aldridge could be playing injured, or he could be effected by heart medications or something he's taking, but let's just assume he can't handle the pressure all of a sudden.

Let's assume he's a high paid athlete in the 2nd round of the playoffs playing like soft faggot. That works better.

DarrinS
05-02-2017, 07:19 PM

That's what I was thinking.

We just witnessed a game where one team launched 50 3s and made 22. And the other team couldn't hit bunnies.

Hopefully, the Rockets get cocky.

SpursforSix
05-02-2017, 07:38 PM
I just scanned through the OP. Nothing groundbreaking. You can sum it up with:Parker and Manu are too old.LMA is soft as fuck.Green underperforms.Pop has lost any edge he had.

100%duncan
05-02-2017, 08:14 PM
"This is not a contender."

-Basically everyone in november

Nathan89
05-02-2017, 08:20 PM
In before Spurs pay a 6ft shooter 12mil this off-season.

MaNu4Tres
05-02-2017, 10:20 PM

It took you this long to see the big picture?

The writing was on the wall when they signed Gasol to a 2 yr deal. Some of us said numerous times, Gasol was unplayable vs HOU/ GS style of basketball and that the move was pointless or empty calories.

I remember people like yourself cryimg about Gasol needing more touches down low. Totally oblivious to how bad he actually was in the post the past 3-4 yrs and oblivious to how bad of an option post play is if the other team gets open threes with absurd volume.

What is the point of utilizing all your cap space for a player that cant be a factor when it matters most? This was the very question some of us had 10 months ago.

DMC
05-02-2017, 10:35 PM
I just scanned through the OP. Nothing groundbreaking. You can sum it up with:Parker and Manu are too old.LMA is soft as fuck.Green underperforms.Pop has lost any edge he had.

Random Thoughts:

1. I need to cut my toenails

2. Is it too late for a Jack and Coke?

3. Is it ever too late for a Jack and Coke?

4. I didn't know Listerine Freshburst pocket packs would melt in the sun

5. I have about 1K worth of Lowe's gift cards on my desk. I forgot why.

6. This box of crankbaits has been here a week. I was supposed to swap out the treble hooks. I haven't.

7. I need to charge my headphones

8. Does anyone ever really use highlighters any more?

9. No matter how many ball caps I buy, I always wear the same old one.

10. I cannot bring myself to watch the Jazz play basketball

11. Every post season someone's relative dies. Seems like a plot now.

12. Will NBA 2K ever get away from the "dead parent" theme with the MyCareer storyline? Not all basketball players have dead parents.

13. Do I even need to post this take?

14. Yeah

therealtruth
05-02-2017, 10:52 PM
Since I'm far too important to have my thoughts scattered about and buried under the shit storm that has ensued here in the past 20 or so hours . . .

- I said 6, but I already think a '10 Suns style embarrassment is upcoming and whether they eke out a game or not, either way this is going to be short and one sided

Like '10 it's pretty much an example of losing a series in the first few minutes of the game. I expect the Rockets to have ridiculous confidence now when they're shooting their 3's. Of course somehow those 3's won't go down in the next round against the Warriors. The Spurs will struggle to keep up while trading 2's for 3's. The Rockets offensive confidence will boost their defense and the Spurs will struggle to crack 100.

The Spurs need to come up with a game plan fast. Play their best pick and roll and perimeter defenders and control the pace. Also pickup the scoring. This is not the Grizzlies defense.

FkLA
05-02-2017, 10:53 PM

Game 1 - 10-33
GAME 2 - 11-29
Game 3 - 10-35
Game 4 - 11-35
Game 5 - 6-37

That's the copout thing to say though. People kept saying the same thing about Memphis in the first round, how they just had to regress and wouldn't keep up their 3PT shooting. But they made more threes and shot a better percentage than they did during the season every single game. They were generating mostly wide open attempts too.

I don't care enough to go back and check how the Spurs are defending the 3, but I'm guessing there is something philosophically wrong with their approach. It's been 7 playoff games and in every single one the opponent is getting wide ass open threes. It's not like the Grizzlies/Rockets are hitting tough, contested bullshit 3s. They're wide open. It's kind of dumb to simply expect opponents to "regress to the mean" or "come down to earth" when they're practically getting practice shots.

hater
05-02-2017, 11:03 PM
- if Deadman wants to play so bad and he is no worse than the other bugs scrubs out there why not play him? At least he wont get punked out there

- did Isiah Thomas sisters ghost injure Rondo?

- I rather re read the Foundation book 2 than watch Worriers Utah

- instill dont see rockets beating us in less than 6 games. Our team is do at least 1 good game and they cant keep shooting 50% from 3 can they?

- nevermind its happened before when we faced Suns in 2010. We never played decent and they never missed

- we could really use Marco Bellinelli vs Rockets

- Scary that Barnes and West are playing so well for them worriers they are basically the 8th and 9th man

- do we really wanna win this series? We are not beating worriers more than once anyways. We could save wbout 12 hours of our lives if we just lost

FkLA
05-02-2017, 11:14 PM
- we could really use Marco Bellinelli vs Rockets

https://media.giphy.com/media/glmRyiSI3v5E4/giphy.gif

MaNu4Tres
05-02-2017, 11:32 PM
Rockets don't have to keep shooting 40%-44% to win the series from three.

Hell they can shoot 33% from 3 and still have an efficiency edge offensively if the Spurs are going to keep taking long 2's or post up LA/Gasol.

SpursforSix
05-03-2017, 12:49 AM
Random Thoughts:

1. I need to cut my toenails

2. Is it too late for a Jack and Coke?

3. Is it ever too late for a Jack and Coke?

4. I didn't know Listerine Freshburst pocket packs would melt in the sun

5. I have about 1K worth of Lowe's gift cards on my desk. I forgot why.

6. This box of crankbaits has been here a week. I was supposed to swap out the treble hooks. I haven't.

7. I need to charge my headphones

8. Does anyone ever really use highlighters any more?

9. No matter how many ball caps I buy, I always wear the same old one.

10. I cannot bring myself to watch the Jazz play basketball

11. Every post season someone's relative dies. Seems like a plot now.

12. Will NBA 2K ever get away from the "dead parent" theme with the MyCareer storyline? Not all basketball players have dead parents.

13. Do I even need to post this take?

14. Yeah

I used to watch every NBA game that came in. Before the league pass shit. Then I quit because I could see every Spurs game. The Celtics/Bullets was the first full game I watched in a long time.

Hoops Czar
05-03-2017, 01:51 AM
That's the copout thing to say though. People kept saying the same thing about Memphis in the first round, how they just had to regress and wouldn't keep up their 3PT shooting. But they made more threes and shot a better percentage than they did during the season every single game. They were generating mostly wide open attempts too.

I don't care enough to go back and check how the Spurs are defending the 3, but I'm guessing there is something philosophically wrong with their approach. It's been 7 playoff games and in every single one the opponent is getting wide ass open threes. It's not like the Grizzlies/Rockets are hitting tough, contested bullshit 3s. They're wide open. It's kind of dumb to simply expect opponents to "regress to the mean" or "come down to earth" when they're practically getting practice shots.

They're currently 14th out of 16 playoff teams in guarding against the three. Problem is Houston's guards keep getting into the painted area causing the Spurs perimeter defenders to collapse on them, giving the Rockets wide open perimeter shots. Personally, I would rather give up the 2 pointer than uncontested three's any day of the week. I mean, let David Lee get savagely beaten in the paint so Pop can see what a worthless scrub he is. Let LMA and his so-called improved defense stand in there and take his punishment like a man. However, don't leave their shooters wide open behind the arc under any circumstances. The other problem is Houston pushing the pace and the slow ass Spurs aren't getting back and instead of the Rockets taking it to the basket, they camp out behind the 3-point line and shoot uncontested 3's. It's really quite sad to watch.

I just don't think their pace/accuracy of knocking down outside shots is sustainable. They nearly lost three games to OKC and that one trick pony offense and if it wasn't for all those 4th quarter meltdowns, they might have lost the series. The Spurs offense looked bad at times against Memphis and other times it looked really good. It's a deeply flawed roster but Houston isn't some runaway juggernaut like the Golden State Warriors that can exploit all the Spurs weaknesses. They're very beatable as long as the Spurs can knockdown their open jumpers.

NameLess Scrub
05-03-2017, 07:12 AM

They won't win. And if they win it will be due to Rockets missing those open, practice shots all night, probably due to partying too hard the night before knowing the series is a wrap already. Big win or not there would be no reason to change the opinion based on that.

Yuixafun
05-03-2017, 08:23 AM
Sours need to slow it down.

They fucked up running poor offense, which led to easy transition and scrambling defense.

We need to play to our strengths, control the time of possession, and bang on these flighty mother fuckers.

Think of it as a combination of a power run game in football, and an ugly Bernard Hopkins heavyweight fight.

By utilizing each possession to get a good shot, like when we used to play the beautiful game, it will drain their energy, and also help our defense.

And if we keel pounding them ecentually it willl take their legs.

No legs, no lift on all those 3 balls.

Spurs still can win, but they have to be disciplined and methodical. And nasty. Make Harden drive and mug him lol.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-03-2017, 09:58 AM
Wasted season. Should have played Murray those Mills minutes, Bertrans the Lee minutes, and signed another perimeter shooter instead of Gasol.

We're finished.

Horse
05-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Why would Houston come in so confident after losing three or four in the regular season? That doesn't make sense just like game one didn't make sense we'll get these fucks!

Yuixafun
05-03-2017, 12:57 PM
Well some older gentleman told me... Vegas has to make it's money, with a knowing smile.

SpursforSix
05-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Sours need to slow it down.

They fucked up running poor offense, which led to easy transition and scrambling defense.

We need to play to our strengths, control the time of possession, and bang on these flighty mother fuckers.

Think of it as a combination of a power run game in football, and an ugly Bernard Hopkins heavyweight fight.

By utilizing each possession to get a good shot, like when we used to play the beautiful game, it will drain their energy, and also help our defense.

And if we keel pounding them ecentually it willl take their legs.

Spurs still can win, but they have to be disciplined and methodical. And nasty. Make Harden drive and mug him lol.

:pop: I don't even know what our strengths are. LMA's offense has been terrible. Green can't knock down a meaningful shot. Parker and Manu are just too old.
The reality is that Leonard is the only consistent threat on the court. And because of that, our ball movement (or lack of) doesn't mean shit. Control Leonard and you'll beat the Spurs.
LMA needs to step it up. But even if he does, we're talking about a big man shooting 15 foot jumpers. He's terrible at finishing around the rim. Honestly, I'm not sure we even match up well with
several of the teams in the East.

ElNono
05-05-2017, 11:59 PM
any updated random thoughts, tbh?? not kidding...

Chinook
05-06-2017, 12:05 AM
TD21 is one of the best posters I almost always disagree with. Most Spurs fans on here fail to look at the long game. It's hard to fault him for doing the same.

ElNono
05-06-2017, 12:06 AM
Not even criticizing his take, tbh... just wondering what's the updated take in light of the recent two games...

apalisoc_9
05-06-2017, 12:10 AM
Series is not over yet. That's the problem. Really worrisome.

SAGirl
05-06-2017, 12:12 AM
Not even criticizing his take, tbh... just wondering what's the updated take in light of the recent two games...
Manu needs to retire :tu there is an update.
:downspin:

I am not liking Lee at all. I have to control my anger. :)

I wasn't caring much for Lamarcus and Pau but I like their 2 man game. If Rockets can't exploit them and they can play together I like them.

Update: I actually loved Pau's game tonight. Those passes in the paint were a B-E-A-U-T-Y

ElNono
05-06-2017, 12:13 AM
Manu needs to retire :tu
:downspin:

we all know that, tbh

SAGirl
05-06-2017, 12:18 AM
Series is not over yet. That's the problem. Really worrisome.
What exactly is the problem? enlighten me...

SAGirl
05-06-2017, 12:20 AM
Rockets don't have to keep shooting 40%-44% to win the series from three.

Hell they can shoot 33% from 3 and still have an efficiency edge offensively if the Spurs are going to keep taking long 2's or post up LA/Gasol.
They aren't doing too good actually.. but I don't want to even mention it... bc I don't want to jinx this.

MaNu4Tres
05-06-2017, 12:57 AM
They aren't doing too good actually.. but I don't want to even mention it... bc I don't want to jinx this.

Rockets volume from 3 has decreased 20-30% since game 1.

Game 2, Pop went small more and it helped our perimeter D to close out to shooters better and contain the closeout penetration optimally.

Game 3, Pop utizilzed small ball and big the Simmons - Green - Kawhi back court which locked down the perimeter.

Another adjustment that has helped is going under & through the screen in PnR has allowed the weakside to stay closer to their man, instead of having to rotate to impede Hardens penetration.

LA and Pau arent getting singled out on an island on perimeter as much bc they arent switching like they did game 1, Kawhi, Green, Simmons are going undetr and through the PnR.

LA and Pau have still been very poor in post up 4 down opportunities. And they should only use it when its last desperate option late on clock. Pop made a great wrinkle tonight getting Pau flashing to elbow when they trap Kawhi in PnR and finding LA once he establishes position . LA got most of his buckets tonight by putting in work to estsblish great position on weak side block btw his man and the hoop or right under the basket.

Best coached playoff games by Pop since Miami 14'...tbh

SAGirl
05-06-2017, 01:00 AM

Game 2, Pop went small more and it helped our perimeter D to close out to shooters better and contain the closeout penetration optimally.

Game 3, Pop utizilzed small ball and big the Simmons - Green - Kawhi back court which locked down the perimeter.

Going under & through the screen in PnR has allowed the weakside to stay closer to their man, instead of having to rotate to impede Hsrdens penetration.

LA and Pau arent getting singled out on an island on perimeter as much bc they arent switching like they did game 1, Kawhi, Green, Simmons are going undet and through the PnR.

LA and Pau have still bern very poor in post up 4 down opportunities. And they should only use it when its last desperate option late on clock. Pop made a grest wrinkle tonight getting Pau flashing to elbow when they trap Kawhi in PnR and finding LA once he established position . LA got most of his buckets tonight by estsblishing position on weak side block btw his man and the hoop or right under the basket.

Thanks for the updated takes.. :toast
Appreciated.

MaNu4Tres
05-06-2017, 01:22 AM
Also, one big positive Spurs have with Parker being out is they have one less liability on D. Spurs are a better defensive team without him. Parker had to be the playoff parker on O for him to be a slight net positive.

SAGirl
05-06-2017, 01:34 AM
Also, one big positive Spurs have with Parker being out is they have one less liability on D. Spurs are a better defensive team without him. Parker had to be the playoff parker on O for him to be a slight net positive.
That he was, but he had been an engine offensively. Now, they are saddled with Mills and I do know your opinion about him from you takes in the offseason thread. I saw the same things you do. It's refreshing bc I don't remember Pop throwing adjustments last postseason or the one b4

Robz4000
05-06-2017, 01:38 AM

Another adjustment that has helped is going under & through the screen in PnR has allowed the weakside to stay closer to their man, instead of having to rotate to impede Hardens penetration.

LA and Pau arent getting singled out on an island on perimeter as much bc they arent switching like they did game 1, Kawhi, Green, Simmons are going undetr and through the PnR.

LA and Pau have still been very poor in post up 4 down opportunities. And they should only use it when its last desperate option late on clock. Pop made a great wrinkle tonight getting Pau flashing to elbow when they trap Kawhi in PnR and finding LA once he establishes position . LA got most of his buckets tonight by putting in work to estsblish great position on weak side block btw his man and the hoop or right under the basket.

Agreed, Pop coached his ass off tonight. Was a treat to see.

MaNu4Tres
05-06-2017, 01:43 AM
That he was, but he had been an engine offensively. Now, they are saddled with Mills and I do know your opinion about him from you takes in the offseason thread. I saw the same things you do. It's refreshing bc I don't remember Pop throwing adjustments last postseason or the one b4

I think the " engine" is overstated. This team has been Kawhis on O. Kawhi has been the engine. Parker had a great post-season but theres a reason Kawhi had more assists this playoffs even with TP doing well. I thought Tony did a great job getting 6-8 in semi transition points a game taking advantage of a bent defense w/ out the D being back and also hitting open shots off a Kawhi assist or a Kawhi hockey assist. TP was so damn efficient w/ his spot up shooting. For as efficient as he was hitting shots during and at the end of games, he wasnt the play making engine.

szkorhetz
05-06-2017, 01:44 AM
Agreed, Pop coached his ass off tonight. Was a treat to see.
+1. Pop responded. Hopefully the Parker injury made him kick it into an even higher gear.

Arcadian
05-06-2017, 01:44 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Rockets are still faggots :lol

SAGirl
05-06-2017, 02:08 AM
I think the " engine" is overstated. This team has been Kawhis on O. Kawhi has been the engine. Parker had a great post-season but theres a reason Kawhi had more assists this playoffs even with TP doing well. I thought Tony did a great job getting 6-8 in semi transition points a game taking advantage of a bent defense w/ out the D being back and also hitting open shots off a Kawhi assist or a Kawhi hockey assist. TP was so damn efficient w/ his spot up shooting. For as efficient as he was hitting shots during and at the end of games, he wasnt the play making engine.
He was very efficient on the 3 and a great release valve for Kawhi. I meant an engine bc he was on... and on attack mode on any kick outs.

Yuixafun
05-06-2017, 09:56 AM
Spurs need to slow it down.

And if we keep pounding them eventually it willl take their legs.

It was obvious during the game 1 blowout, the main reason we lost was because the Spurs simply weren't ready for the Houston attack and got sucked into a shootout.

These past 2 games are more indicative of the 2 teams identities.

Just because of play style, logically in my head I wasn't worried.

The feeling I left with during game one, wasn't of doom and gloom, but acceptance of why it went the way it did.

TD 21
05-07-2017, 06:06 PM
any updated random thoughts, tbh?? not kidding...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268154&p=8997556#post8997556 :wakeup

TD21 is one of the best posters I almost always disagree with. Most Spurs fans on here fail to look at the long game. It's hard to fault him for doing the same.

:wow If nothing else, I'm a big picture guy.

ElNono
05-07-2017, 06:07 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268154&p=8997556#post8997556 :wakeup

:lol :tu

Splits
05-07-2017, 06:12 PM

- You could see it on both teams faces from the jump, like they both knew the Spurs had no foundational or strategic answer for defending them, no lineup suited to do so either, nor the firepower to keep up

- Pop compounded matters by panicking and frantically searching for a lineup that would work, including lineups that almost never play together . . . nothing sends a message to both teams that your team is in trouble like conceding immediately and conforming to the opposition

- Unfortunately, as usual he'll come out of this largely unscathed in the aftermath, while the media mostly focuses on Aldridge, Parker and Ginobili

- Aldridge has definitely regressed some, but more importantly, he's clearly lost all confidence and can't take the pressure of playing for a franchise of this stature and with this expectation and being expected to partially carry the load

- The first two of those three things go for Green as well and that combined with his clear distaste for the way they've changed post '14, has probably led to him not looking the same

- I called all of this in the off season, early in the season and periodically throughout, so I'm not surprised, but this team is definitely done in a general sense and like anyone else seriously interested in attempting to contend for a championship, will need to conform to Warriors/Cavaliers/Rockets ball in order to stand a chance going forward

- I don't even think they can pull another fools gold regular season out of their ass if they bring the majority of this back: I'd expect this group to regress closer to 50 wins and a mid seed

- Leonard is obviously untouchable; otherwise, Murray and Bertans should be kept (unless, of course, like 99% of athletes, they're blown away) and they should look to re-sign Dedmon or failing that Reed for the MLE, but everyone else should be shopped hard - in play

Jesus fuck.

Have you washed your pussy today?

:cry my random cries :cry

Go see a shrink, you're emotionally disabled.

lol faggot

Hoops Czar
05-07-2017, 07:04 PM

Mills is a liability defensively every time he takes the floor and Murray is hardly an upgrade over Parker either. Most of that is happenstance and Houston regressing to the mean rather than suggesting the team is better defensively without Parker and then realizing who's replacements him. In before someone tells me that Pau is An elite defender after game three. :lol

MaNu4Tres
05-07-2017, 07:23 PM
Mills is a liability defensively every time he takes the floor and Murray is hardly an upgrade over Parker either. Most of that is happenstance and Houston regressing to the mean rather than suggesting the team is better defensively without Parker and then realizing who's replacements him. In before someone tells me that Pau is An elite defender after game three. :lol

Even if its not for a long stint, Spurs get to utilize big guard lineups like they did in the 4th with Kawhi - Simmons - Green in the back court -- which is an upgrade from Parker/Mills getting all 48 plus some minutes playing together which Pop had started doing. That aspect in itself improves the defense instantly.

As for Patty, he's just as bad. I agree there.. the sample size, eye test and defensive metrics back that up

As for Murray, is he better defensively than Parker? That's subjective and the jury is still out because of lack of sample size and lack of enough playing time to get a good assessment or eye test. The general assumption is he's a rookie, so he's dumb and gets lost all the time. But I didn't find that to be the case much in his first year whenever he got a lot of time. Did he make some mistakes his first year? Sure he did, just like any other makes mistakes, but I thought he used his size and length to his advantage and I didn't ever see him get exploited -- even by Kyrie. I actually thought he was solid defensively game 3. But that's my opinion.

jermaine
05-07-2017, 10:05 PM
Why isn't Dedmon not playing?

SAGirl
05-08-2017, 11:05 AM
It's coming down to the variance in 3 pt shooting from the Rockets. They get a ton of looks every game. Some nights the shot is falling and they run away with the game. When they don't Spurs win. They also apparently can't make comebacks bc they can't get stops. It's very possible that's a result of today's NBA, not the Spurs specifically.

polandprzem
05-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Why isn't Dedmon not playing?

Because he isn't not

Amuseddaysleeper
05-08-2017, 12:15 PM
It's coming down to the variance in 3 pt shooting from the Rockets. They get a ton of looks every game. Some nights the shot is falling and they run away with the game. When they don't Spurs win. They also apparently can't make comebacks bc they can't get stops. It's very possible that's a result of today's NBA, not the Spurs specifically.

The biggest difference wasn't just Houston hitting from outside but how many shots they were allowed to attempt from outside. In game 3 they only had 22 attempts, in Game 4 they had 40+. It's disgusting how the Spurs did such a great job with their gameplan in Game 3 went completely out the window in Game 4.

Spurs still struggle for consistent offense outside of Kawhi, and our bigs are too soft to do enough damage inside for most of the game. The entire series hnges on Game 5, imo.

MaNu4Tres
05-08-2017, 04:07 PM

Not really.

Its coming down to Spurs transition D and having the right personnel in the game to close out on shooters effectively. Game 2 Spurs played small for 24 minutes. Game 3, Spurs played amazing transition/and half court defense. Games 1 and 4, Spurs offense looked out of wack and terrible which fed HOU transition opportunities, plus Spurs didn't play too much small ball ( we saw too much Lee/Gasol, Lee/LA) -- so they couldn't close out well or contain penetration off close outs.

Game 1: 50 3PA
Game 2: 34 3PA
Game 3: 39 3PA
Game 4: 44 3PA.

Limit HOU 3 point attempts by getting back in transition, closing out effectively on shooters will minimize their opportunities.

They've got great looks in games 1 and 4... not so much games 2 and 3.

SAGirl
05-08-2017, 04:10 PM
Not really.

Its coming down to Spurs transition D and having the right personnel in the game to close out on shooters effectively. Game 2 Spurs played small for 24 minutes. Game 3, Spurs played amazing transition/and half court offense. Games 1 and 4, Spurs offense looked out of wack and terrible which fed HOU transition opportunities, plus Spurs didn't play too much small ball ( we saw too much Lee/Gasol, Lee/LA).

Game 1: 50 3PA
Game 2: 34 3PA
Game 3: 39 3PA
Game 4: 44 3PA.

Limit HOU 3 point attempts by getting back in transition, closing out effectively on shooters will minimize their opportunities.

They've got great looks in games 1 and 4... not so much games 2 and 3.
You are right about the transition baskets. I forgot about that. There were a lot of mistakes in this game by several guys, you can't single one or two bc on different occasions it was someone different. Evidently bad transition defense augments possessions, thus more shots, sometimes it's a kick out 3 etc. But Rockets also made some well contested 3s and that is what I was referring to. In addition, they get clean looks every game, some nights they just don't fall. When they don't they are in trouble. '

Like you Pop mentioned transition D.

apalisoc_9
05-08-2017, 04:19 PM
They should give the ball to Leonard in the Post and have Aldridge popping with the rest of the 3 perimeter players Green, Mills, Simmons, Manu getting ready to run in Transition defense.

Aldridge is so shitty in the Post...You want to slow the game down, you can't because he's inefficient and will opt for a fadeaway jumper...

Kawhi will probably be a bigger man and will most likely take it to the houston defense if Anderson is playing at the 5.

Also, please..No more Long Stretches of ALdridge ball....Some of the worst shots I can possibly think off. Why o Why do we have to baby this lazy fatass.

SAGirl
05-08-2017, 04:46 PM
also It was a 14 pt game at exactly 8:29 in the 4th Q:
103 to 89. It may have been an unlikely come back considering at that point several guys had made some contested 3s, and the Spurs also had no issue scoring (this lead wasn't surrendered by the bench, but created with the starters in the 3rd Q). Several Rockets got hot.
It was a judgment call by Pop to surrender the game at that point, but it wasn't a terrible blowout, nor impossible to win.

sasaint
05-08-2017, 04:57 PM
also It was a 14 pt game at exactly 8:29 in the 4th Q:
103 to 89. It may have been an unlikely come back considering at that point several guys had made some contested 3s, and the Spurs also had no issue scoring (this lead wasn't surrendered by the bench, but created with the starters in the 4th Q). Several Rockets got hot.
It was a judgment call by Pop to surrender the game at that point, but it wasn't a terrible blowout, nor impossible to win.

Friend, you were watching the game through rose-colored glasses. We had climbed the mountain on several occasions to slide back down when the Rockettes stomped on our hand-holds. Not one, but several of their players were en fuego! we were toast last night.

DMC
05-08-2017, 04:58 PM

I've got a long game you can look at.

DMC
05-08-2017, 05:08 PM

My updated thoughts:

1. Have you ever taken a pic of your own back and looked at it?
2. I've got one of those coasters that light up when you place a glass on it (comes in the Crown Royal set). It's pretty cool, but not so much if you're watching a movie.
3. Why does it always rain all week on my fishing trips, regardless the time of year? (it's sunny before and after it seems)
4. If the Spurs beat Houston, will anyone think it was a feat this time next season?
5. Aren't "we" where we thought we should end up based on the collective talent/effort we've seen this year?
6. Do any of us secretly (or openly) hope Kawhi looks for greener pastures with a team that has a legit championship roster?
7. Is Tony's injury a blessing in disguise (forcing Pop to play Murray or find legit PG talent)?
8. Anyone here secretly happy that Tony might have to retire, knowing Pop et al would resign him until he's 40 otherwise?
9. Is anyone here really surprised that Pau, David Lee and Aldridge are soft in the playoffs?
10. If you aren't, isn't it odd that Pop would be surprised that they are?
11. Considering 10, wasn't this entire season just a fugazi, foisted upon the season ticket holders like they had an outside chance or...
12. Does having a RS contender equal money's worth for season ticket holders?
13. Why does Pop call timeouts when his team has started a run, simply because the other team scored once?
14. Why is Pop so much more jovial after a loss than a win? Humbled? Relieved? Embarrassed?
15. I feel the real answer to 14 is that Pop goes out of his way to avoid looking upset at a loss. It's over the top and obvious.
16. Why does a coach/president of basketball operations for an entertainment franchise feel he's above questioning?
17. Would anyone here like to see the media simply ignore Pop altogether and never ask him anything just to illustrate how, without them, he's useless as well?

dabom
05-08-2017, 05:12 PM
They should give the ball to Leonard in the Post and have Aldridge popping with the rest of the 3 perimeter players Green, Mills, Simmons, Manu getting ready to run in Transition defense.

Aldridge is so shitty in the Post...You want to slow the game down, you can't because he's inefficient and will opt for a fadeaway jumper...

Kawhi will probably be a bigger man and will most likely take it to the houston defense if Anderson is playing at the 5.

Also, please..No more Long Stretches of ALdridge ball....Some of the worst shots I can possibly think off. Why o Why do we have to baby this lazy fatass.

DMC
05-08-2017, 05:15 PM
Hasn't it been long enough since the Spurs have discovered hidden talent? There's Kawhi and then nobody. Sure they get utility from the scrubs but let's be honest, none of these guys will ever amount to shit outside of the Spurs system. Kawhi is the lone diamond, everyone else is a turd wrapped in aluminum foil.

ElNono
05-08-2017, 05:40 PM
My updated thoughts:

1. Have you ever taken a pic of your own back and looked at it?
2. I've got one of those coasters that light up when you place a glass on it (comes in the Crown Royal set). It's pretty cool, but not so much if you're watching a movie.
3. Why does it always rain all week on my fishing trips, regardless the time of year? (it's sunny before and after it seems)
4. If the Spurs beat Houston, will anyone think it was a feat this time next season?
5. Aren't "we" where we thought we should end up based on the collective talent/effort we've seen this year?
6. Do any of us secretly (or openly) hope Kawhi looks for greener pastures with a team that has a legit championship roster?
7. Is Tony's injury a blessing in disguise (forcing Pop to play Murray or find legit PG talent)?
8. Anyone here secretly happy that Tony might have to retire, knowing Pop et al would resign him until he's 40 otherwise?
9. Is anyone here really surprised that Pau, David Lee and Aldridge are soft in the playoffs?
10. If you aren't, isn't it odd that Pop would be surprised that they are?
11. Considering 10, wasn't this entire season just a fugazi, foisted upon the season ticket holders like they had an outside chance or...
12. Does having a RS contender equal money's worth for season ticket holders?
13. Why does Pop call timeouts when his team has started a run, simply because the other team scored once?
14. Why is Pop so much more jovial after a loss than a win? Humbled? Relieved? Embarrassed?
15. I feel the real answer to 14 is that Pop goes out of his way to avoid looking upset at a loss. It's over the top and obvious.
16. Why does a coach/president of basketball operations for an entertainment franchise feel he's above questioning?
17. Would anyone here like to see the media simply ignore Pop altogether and never ask him anything just to illustrate how, without them, he's useless as well?

Interesting takes, tbh...

1. No
2. Cool. Never seen one of those. Do they actually soak in moisture or just a gimmick, tbh?
3. Global raining, IMO
4. Unlikely, but we'll still make fun of Pop owning 'Antoni and Frauden is a joke
5. I thought we could go one more step
6. Not me. But I can't blame him if he does, after Lebron's superfriends and KD bolting to the Dubs
7. Maybe. If the rationale is that the Spurs have no shot at GSW anyways, then it probably is. A Manu injury wouldn't hurt either in that vein.
8. Some people have indicated as much.
9. Not me
10. For good or bad, I don't think Pop values 'grit' over 'smarts', and it really is a balancing act.
11. It never is, IMO. Injuries, or even streaks can make things competitive at any time, and nobody really controls those.
12. Works for most other teams. I'm not sure how much Spursfan is paying in tickets though, vis a vis the product they received (or expected to receive)
13. One more Pop mystery, tbh
14. He pretends he has work to do
15. Preaching being a cultural guy gives him an immediate cop out regardless.
16. Because he didn't hire himself. He can do it because he can get away with it. He's also at a point where he could just walk away if he doesn't get his way.
17. Media lives off stories and drama, tbh... there's the person and the myth, and the myth always sells better. It would be against their own interests, IMO

sasaint
05-08-2017, 05:58 PM
Hasn't it been long enough since the Spurs have discovered hidden talent? There's Kawhi and then nobody. Sure they get utility from the scrubs but let's be honest, none of these guys will ever amount to shit outside of the Spurs system. Kawhi is the lone diamond, everyone else is a turd wrapped in aluminum foil.

Yes. You couldn't power up a Tesla on what the Spurs' "pipeline" delivers.

DMC
05-08-2017, 06:59 PM
Interesting takes, tbh...

1. No
2. Cool. Never seen one of those. Do they actually soak in moisture or just a gimmick, tbh?
3. Global raining, IMO
4. Unlikely, but we'll still make fun of Pop owning 'Antoni and Frauden is a joke
5. I thought we could go one more step
6. Not me. But I can't blame him if he does, after Lebron's superfriends and KD bolting to the Dubs
7. Maybe. If the rationale is that the Spurs have no shot at GSW anyways, then it probably is. A Manu injury wouldn't hurt either in that vein.
8. Some people have indicated as much.
9. Not me
10. For good or bad, I don't think Pop values 'grit' over 'smarts', and it really is a balancing act.
11. It never is, IMO. Injuries, or even streaks can make things competitive at any time, and nobody really controls those.
12. Works for most other teams. I'm not sure how much Spursfan is paying in tickets though, vis a vis the product they received (or expected to receive)
13. One more Pop mystery, tbh
14. He pretends he has work to do
15. Preaching being a cultural guy gives him an immediate cop out regardless.
16. Because he didn't hire himself. He can do it because he can get away with it. He's also at a point where he could just walk away if he doesn't get his way.
17. Media lives off stories and drama, tbh... there's the person and the myth, and the myth always sells better. It would be against their own interests, IMO

1. Try it sometimes.
2. Doesn't soak up anything, but it's as good as using a CD. Mostly a gimmick. Only turns on when the glass has liquid/ice in it (weight). Ergo empty glass means darkness.
3. Must be caused by the cover coming off my boat, updraft of warm air...
4. I hate Mike D. I'd like to see him tear a facial muscle.
5. I never thought we'd get past the 2nd round. I would have been a bit surprised if we lost to the Grizz however. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.
6. KL has a ring and FMVP, 2x DPOY. The only reason I could see him leaving is if he's in the lottery years for more than 1 or 2 years. I don't see that though, he could prevent that damn near solo.
7. Manu has been injured enough. I wish only happy things for him.
8. I mean real people.
9. Me either.
10. Grit is smart though, and softness is stupid against gritty teams. Passing out of single coverage when that coverage is Harden, that's not lack of grit, that's just lack of smarts (situational awareness) just like LMA giving Harden the 3 to avoid him driving when Pau was there behind him for that reason.
11. No one in their right might would consider Pau or Aldridge the keys to success. So I think the team fields what they can get and it is what it is. I just wonder if some folks think the Spurs are supposed to field a legit contender every year.
12. Yeah, that's a throw away question
13. Micromanaging. It's been his weakness for quite some time. I know he understands the game, but I am not sure he sees it like we do (hopefully not).
14. Like coaching?
15. Trump's fault. Blacks are misrepresented.
16. Sure, but it's not far from being Westbrook refusing to allow a teammate to answer a legit question.
17. Of course, but still. Imagine there are no questions after the game. None, only to the players instead of Pop. He'd probably orgasm.

ElNono
05-11-2017, 11:43 PM
- Harden is choker
- Hamburger >>> Hotdogs
- I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option
- I don’t understand the purpose of the line, "I don’t need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they’ve invented the lighter?
- There is a great need for sarcasm font.
- I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars teams up to prevent a d!ck from cutting in at the front. Stay strong, brothers!
- Bad decisions make good stories

SAGirl
05-12-2017, 01:26 AM
:toast:downspin:
well considering the pessimistic nature of this original thread...
Spurs have overachieved by some "spursfans" opinion...