PDA

View Full Version : Don't blame Pop for overachieving

hitmantb
05-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Alridge was the only top 15-20 player who was willing to come to SA. It is clear he hasn't been the same since the heart condition scare. But he was the only realistic chance Spurs could be competitive post-Duncan era and he did help us get the greatest regular season record ever, it is too bad Duncan's other wheel finally fell off and the team was just not the same without a healthy Duncan. A lot of you thought we choked against Thunder without considering the second half of the season, Duncan fell off the cliff at last.

Green since rightfully rewarded with the contract isn't quite the same. Mills also took a step back. But a lot of this has to do with Parker/Manu's regression, catch-and-shoot players depend on the quality of the catch, the beautiful game required Parker and Manu's penetration, and we don't have LeBron/Harden/Westbrook on this team. Parker & Manu are obviously old. Low picks rarely turn into starters, much less stars, not easy to fix that problem.

Put it this way, does Spurs really have more raw talent than say OKC? If this team won 50 games, no one would be surprised. Pop's system really helped Spurs feast on easier teams in regular season and played around the schedules perfectly. But in post season, raw talent matters (with the exception of the magical 2014 season, but again, an exception not the rule). Spurs can not possibly sign anyone who could make them competitive against Warriors/Cavs with run and gun style, the pound-it-inside style of play is our best chance with our roster.

Look at post-Jordan Bulls, when you lose your franchise player, you are out of championship contention for a very long time. We are lucky we have Kwahi and a Paul Gasol gift away from contention, it may never come, but we are not that far away.

Don't blame Pop for overachieving with this roster in the regular season, you guys are just way too spoiled by the success this team had in the last 20 years.

Nathan89
05-02-2017, 08:15 PM
He sucked before the heart scare:lol

Dex
05-02-2017, 08:19 PM
Anybody who is sick of Pop...name one coach who is better suited to take his place?

And no, Carlisle is not available.

apalisoc_9
05-02-2017, 08:24 PM
Yawn

100%duncan
05-02-2017, 08:54 PM
:lol The 62 wins was all kawhi.

spursistan
05-02-2017, 08:55 PM
Who fuckin signed Gasol in the summer? my mother?

apalisoc_9
05-02-2017, 09:02 PM
Who fuckin signed Gasol in the summer? my mother?

Messina..

Leetonidas
05-02-2017, 09:06 PM
Cool story OP

ElNono
05-02-2017, 09:26 PM
Anybody who is sick of Pop...name one coach who is better suited to take his place?

Cock Rivers

SAGirl
05-02-2017, 09:36 PM
Alridge was the only top 15-20 player who was willing to come to SA. It is clear he hasn't been the same since the heart condition scare. But he was the only realistic chance Spurs could be competitive post-Duncan era and he did help us get the greatest regular season record ever, it is too bad Duncan's other wheel finally fell off and the team was just not the same without a healthy Duncan. A lot of you thought we choked against Thunder without considering the second half of the season, Duncan fell off the cliff at last.

Green since rightfully rewarded with the contract isn't quite the same. Mills also took a step back. But a lot of this has to do with Parker/Manu's regression, catch-and-shoot players depend on the quality of the catch, the beautiful game required Parker and Manu's penetration, and we don't have LeBron/Harden/Westbrook on this team. Parker & Manu are obviously old. Low picks rarely turn into starters, much less stars, not easy to fix that problem.

Put it this way, does Spurs really have more raw talent than say OKC? If this team won 50 games, no one would be surprised. Pop's system really helped Spurs feast on easier teams in regular season and played around the schedules perfectly. But in post season, raw talent matters (with the exception of the magical 2014 season, but again, an exception not the rule). Spurs can not possibly sign anyone who could make them competitive against Warriors/Cavs with run and gun style, the pound-it-inside style of play is our best chance with our roster.

Look at post-Jordan Bulls, when you lose your franchise player, you are out of championship contention for a very long time. We are lucky we have Kwahi and a Paul Gasol gift away from contention, it may never come, but we are not that far away.

Don't blame Pop for overachieving with this roster in the regular season, you guys are just way too spoiled by the success this team had in the last 20 years.
good post. It's a shame they haven't been able to add more real talent through FA. I think I can live with one of Gasol and Lamarcus, but not the two.

hater
05-02-2017, 09:46 PM
He sucked before the heart scare:lol

Yup what the fuck OP talking about

Lamar has been mediocre at best since he arrived

RD2191
05-02-2017, 09:50 PM
"Pop" :lol you mean :claw?

TheGreatYacht
05-02-2017, 11:57 PM
Yeah, that Poop. Couldn't have won 60+ without him calling a bunch of ISOs for Kawhi and postups for LMA. Brilliant system. Irreplaceable. He really trusts the youth too. This mediocre roster has NOTHING to do with him, the president of basketball operations. Pop isn't starting Lee, Lee is starting himself. Not Pop's fault at all. GOAT

BillMc
05-02-2017, 11:59 PM

These

GSH
05-03-2017, 12:18 AM

If the goal is an entertaining regular season, then you're right. I guess I just judge success by winning it all, or being a serious contender to win it all. I don't think that's being spoiled - I think it's supposed to be the point of all this. If you really think the team over-achieved, then it's an admission that they weren't really contenders to go all the way. You can't have it both ways.

I've never wavered a bit, this whole season. I said this roster was strong enough to make a good showing in a second round exit. I said the Spurs could/should have taken one season to re-build. Murray would have a LOT more development time under his belt. We would probably still have Laprovittola, and we'd have had a chance to see if he could be a legit backup PG. Bertans would have gotten a lot more exposure. The team would have a good draft pick (or more, if they made a trade), and wouldn't be in cap hell.

I'm not bitching because the team "over-achieved" in the regular season. I'm bitching because they did EXACTLY what I expected, which is the second best record in the west - even if they did win a few more games than I expected. Mostly I'm bitching because they appear to be exactly where I thought they would be in the playoffs. If you can't win it all, start taking steps to get there as soon as possible. With the cap situation, and Parker/Pau being another year older, they are almost certainly going to be worse off next year.

Crazymaddopeyo
05-03-2017, 12:25 AM
:lol The 62 wins was all kawhi.

Bullshit, Kawhi missed some games and I think we won all of those.

dabom
05-03-2017, 12:45 AM
Bullshit, Kawhi missed some games and I think we won all of those.

vs garbage competition you stupid fuck. We would have won those with Kawhi but easier. :lol

Crazymaddopeyo
05-03-2017, 01:23 AM
vs garbage competition you stupid fuck. We would have won those with Kawhi but easier. :lol

Hahaha what a piece of shit you are. I know you hate to be proven wrong. I forgive you. Now please tell me a suitable replacement for Pop? Come on, do it and we'll see who the stupid fuck is.

dabom
05-03-2017, 01:25 AM
Maybe RC can fire Pop if we lose and take over.

Crazymaddopeyo
05-03-2017, 01:27 AM
Maybe these armchair coaches could apply for the job.

dabom
05-03-2017, 01:27 AM
Maybe these armchair coaches could apply for the job.

What about RC?

Dingle Barry
05-03-2017, 01:28 AM
Yeah, that Poop. Couldn't have won 60+ without him calling a bunch of ISOs for Kawhi and postups for LMA. Brilliant system. Irreplaceable. He really trusts the youth too. This mediocre roster has NOTHING to do with him, the president of basketball operations. Pop isn't starting Lee, Lee is starting himself. Not Pop's fault at all. GOAT
:clap

Dingle Barry
05-03-2017, 01:33 AM

Gregg Marshall

TheGreatYacht
05-03-2017, 01:33 AM
Now please tell me a suitable replacement for Pop?
http://thecommittedgeneration.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/doc-rivers.jpg
http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/sporting_news/55/14/billy-donovan-florida-ftr-getty-042915_12a2dmqezlwf2zz2jgm0t8kaw.jpg?t=135446253
http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/omnisport/22/b9/dantonimike63getty_1uf0y6w59of431ocq6ms9ue92m.jpg? t=-1145270059

dabom
05-03-2017, 01:38 AM
I'm going to sleep. 10 mins later and you got nothing huh? :lol

TheGreatYacht
05-03-2017, 01:44 AM
That Popovich, always overachieving. It's incredible how he has 5 rings coaching a bunch of nobodies. Oh wait.

http://www.slamdunk.ru/images/i/image_____________________________________________ _______________.jpg
http://33.media.tumblr.com/4e71037e4f19d4cc0432895f1e4acdfb/tumblr_ne6l2xvOHJ1ruj0bpo1_1280.jpg
http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F1128%2Fr31181_1296x729_16% 2D9.jpg

Crazymaddopeyo
05-03-2017, 02:10 AM
http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/sporting_news/55/14/billy-donovan-florida-ftr-getty-042915_12a2dmqezlwf2zz2jgm0t8kaw.jpg?t=135446253
http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/omnisport/22/b9/dantonimike63getty_1uf0y6w59of431ocq6ms9ue92m.jpg? t=-1145270059
All those available coaches huh? And seriously? Doc who can't get his superstar team to a championship and D'antoni? Who Pop has owned in The playoffs. You guys would curse these coaches even more. There would be literal bridge jumpers.

Dex
05-03-2017, 08:27 AM

:lmao Thank you for confirming that you are just trolling.

DaDakota
05-03-2017, 07:09 PM
Your coach is better, our roster is better.

Should be fun the rest of the way.

DD

Mikeanaro
05-03-2017, 07:36 PM

You have a problem, you think the day old fart kicks the bucket basketball will die?

dabom
05-03-2017, 07:36 PM
Your coach is better, our roster is better.

Should be fun the rest of the way.

DD

Go back to the GERM son. :tu