PDA

View Full Version : Movie Review! some movies I saw recently

SpursforSix
05-03-2017, 12:40 PM
Layer Cake - pretty old movie (2004 I think). Has the guy that plays James Bond. He's a drug dealer in England and has to do some shit for his bosses. Not even sure why I watched it but I was bored. Turned out to be a very good movie.
8/10

Deadpool - I never thought much about this when it came out. Not a huge superhero movie fan. That being said, I usually enjoy watching them. This was probably my favorite of all of them. Blended in some funny stuff with the storyline.
9/10

Avante
05-03-2017, 11:20 PM
Since nobody cares about this thread, I will talk movies.

Deadpool totally sucked, tried soooooooooooooooooo damn hard to be "cute".

Todays movies pale in comparision to the great flicks from the past. Way too much....POW~~ ZAP@@@ or weak plots and poor character development. Where is Stanley Kowalski, where is Scarlet O' Hara?

Having seen all the classics it is hard to get into some of the garbage we are stuck with today. Deadpool. Suicide Squad great examples.

They STILL haven't done Conan or Tarzan right.

Ten movies I could watch every year for the rest of my life, just once a year.

Cool Hand Luke....what we've got here is...............failure to....communicate.
On the Waterfront....I could have been a contender
King Kong 1933....it was beauty that killed the beast
Roadhouse....thought you'd be bigger
Streetcar Named Desire....STELLA, STELLA
Casablanca....of all the gin joints in all the world, she has to walk into mine.
Frankenstein....IT'S ALIVE~~~ IT'S ALIVE~~~
Citizan Kane....Rosebud.
The Godfather...I'll make him an over he can't refuse.
Gone With The Wind...Frankly Scarlet, I don't give a damn.
Wizard of Oz...there is no place like home.
The Sword and the Dragon

Yep, I cheated.

Movies I wil never watch again.

The Exorcist....saw it once and wish I hadn't.
Konga....are you kidding me?
Avatar....loved the flick on the big screen, and it has to be seen at the theater.
Godzilla....yep, the original.
All the Rockies after Rocky III
A Clockwork Orange.....:rolleyes
Italian musclemen flicks
Chinese/Japanese kung fu/karate etc etc flicks

The Sword and the Dragon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOrBlrecnA0

First saw this in 1960, it made an impression. But, never saw it again until just a few years ago on youtube.

SpursforSix
05-04-2017, 10:12 AM
Since nobody cares about this thread, I will talk movies.

Deadpool totally sucked, tried soooooooooooooooooo damn hard to be "cute".

Todays movies pale in comparision to the great flicks from the past. Way too much....POW~~ ZAP@@@ or weak plots and poor character development. Where is Stanley Kowalski, where is Scarlet O' Hara?

Having seen all the classics it is hard to get into some of the garbage we are stuck with today. Deadpool. Suicide Squad great examples.

They STILL haven't done Conan or Tarzan right.

Ten movies I could watch every year for the rest of my life, just once a year.

Cool Hand Luke....what we've got here is...............failure to....communicate.
On the Waterfront....I could have been a contender
King Kong 1933....it was beauty that killed the beast
Roadhouse....thought you'd be bigger
Streetcar Named Desire....STELLA, STELLA
Casablanca....of all the gin joints in all the world, she has to walk into mine.
Frankenstein....IT'S ALIVE~~~ IT'S ALIVE~~~
Citizan Kane....Rosebud.
The Godfather...I'll make him an over he can't refuse.
Gone With The Wind...Frankly Scarlet, I don't give a damn.
Wizard of Oz...there is no place like home.
The Sword and the Dragon

Yep, I cheated.

Movies I wil never watch again.

The Exorcist....saw it once and wish I hadn't.
Konga....are you kidding me?
Avatar....loved the flick on the big screen, and it has to be seen at the theater.
Godzilla....yep, the original.
All the Rockies after Rocky III
A Clockwork Orange.....:rolleyes
Italian musclemen flicks
Chinese/Japanese kung fu/karate etc etc flicks

The Sword and the Dragon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOrBlrecnA0

First saw this in 1960, it made an impression. But, never saw it again until just a few years ago on youtube.

Fair enough. Gone With the Wind...still a classic. Epic. I haven't watched it in years but it's one of those flicks that I used to watch with my parents and even as a kid, I appreciated the scope of the film.
Cool Hand Luke...that's another keeper. Still holds up today. I don't think Newman is a particularly great actor but he's perfect for that role. Roadhouse is probably pretty dated now but it was a guilty pleasure in the 80's. Yep. Still haven't seen Casa Blanca or Citizen Kane. I keep meaning to but it's hard for me to cue up a B&W movie. Of course The Godfather. Frankly, I'm surprised you didn't include a Spaghetti western. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly would be an obvious choice but I think my favorite might be For a Few Dollars More.

No homo but I used to enjoy the Sound of Music with my parents.

05-04-2017, 03:00 PM
Watched Layer Cake a few years ago, good stuff tbh. Bit similar to the Guy Ritchie movies (Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, etc.)

Avante
05-04-2017, 09:16 PM
Fair enough. Gone With the Wind...still a classic. Epic. I haven't watched it in years but it's one of those flicks that I used to watch with my parents and even as a kid, I appreciated the scope of the film.
Cool Hand Luke...that's another keeper. Still holds up today. I don't think Newman is a particularly great actor but he's perfect for that role. Roadhouse is probably pretty dated now but it was a guilty pleasure in the 80's. Yep. Still haven't seen Casa Blanca or Citizen Kane. I keep meaning to but it's hard for me to cue up a B&W movie. Of course The Godfather. Frankly, I'm surprised you didn't include a Spaghetti western. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly would be an obvious choice but I think my favorite might be For a Few Dollars More.

No homo but I used to enjoy the Sound of Music with my parents.

Some have called Casablanca the greatest movie ever. It really is a must see. Citizan Kane has also been called the greatest movie ever, while good...nay.

If I could have 20 movies, the man with no name trilogy would be there.

I love musicals, how great is Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire anf Ginger Rogers?

Roadhouse had it all.

SpursforSix
05-05-2017, 06:45 AM
Some have called Casablanca the greatest movie ever. It really is a must see. Citizan Kane has also been called the greatest movie ever, while good...nay.

If I could have 20 movies, the man with no name trilogy would be there.

I love musicals, how great is Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire anf Ginger Rogers?

Roadhouse had it all.

Am I crazy or do I remember Swayze pulling a dude's heart out and showing it to him??? I think that was from Roadhouse. Right before he helped that girl on the clay wheel.

leemajors
05-05-2017, 01:31 PM
Layer Cake - pretty old movie (2004 I think). Has the guy that plays James Bond. He's a drug dealer in England and has to do some shit for his bosses. Not even sure why I watched it but I was bored. Turned out to be a very good movie.
8/10

Deadpool - I never thought much about this when it came out. Not a huge superhero movie fan. That being said, I usually enjoy watching them. This was probably my favorite of all of them. Blended in some funny stuff with the storyline.
9/10

You seen Croupier?

SpursforSix
05-05-2017, 01:33 PM
You seen Croupier?

No...haven't heard of it until now. Just checked out the summary. Pretty good?

SpursforSix
05-05-2017, 01:34 PM
You seen Croupier?

Hey...while you're here...is the Red Rising series worth reading?

leemajors
05-05-2017, 01:34 PM
No...haven't heard of it until now. Just checked out the summary. Pretty good?

yup, pretty good.