PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi + DG + Simmons

playbonner15
05-04-2017, 09:06 AM
I?think that was a good defensive combination by Pop to remedy the mismatch caused by switching and made things easier by Simmons attacking the rim and making shots. Hopefully he can add Murray in there for more defense/slashing. Dedmon at the 5 theoretically will put this unit's defense over the top but unfortunately I think Pop doesnt trust him yet.

Chinook
05-04-2017, 09:10 AM
Switching would be easier among those guys. But you get two issues. First is that you're still playing two big against Anderson. Second, you leave Patty, Manu and Kyle to cover Gordon and Williams. Tough sell.

100%duncan
05-04-2017, 09:14 AM
Switching would be easier among those guys. But you get two issues. First is that you're still playing two big against Anderson. Second, you leave Patty, Manu and Kyle to cover Gordon and Williams. Tough sell.

This lineup actually gives the spurs a chance to go small, with kawhi at the 4

apalisoc_9
05-04-2017, 09:21 AM
Assuming one of manu or murray plays with that lineup...

It's also,6₩

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-04-2017, 09:24 AM
This would force Kawhi to bring the ball up the court every time. He's got too much on his hands already and I have Beno flashbacks every time Danny or Simmons dribble past half court.

Chinook
05-04-2017, 09:28 AM
This lineup actually gives the spurs a chance to go small, with kawhi at the 4

For stretches, that will likely be the case. Talking about the starting lineup, though. Those three plus Pau and LMA seems shaky.

100%duncan
05-04-2017, 09:32 AM
For stretches, that will likely be the case. Talking about the starting lineup, though. Those three plus Pau and LMA seems shaky.

Ah yes, doubt simmons starts tho

apalisoc_9
05-04-2017, 09:41 AM
I think murray starts but with a quick hook.

Maybe sits down in the 8 minute mark

playbonner15
05-04-2017, 09:57 AM
This would force Kawhi to bring the ball up the court every time. He's got too much on his hands already and I have Beno flashbacks every time Danny or Simmons dribble past half court.
Yup I think they had Mills run the point along with those 3

SAGirl
05-04-2017, 12:53 PM
This is a good point and I hadn't thought about match ups.
In that case, Pop could really just start Murray with a short leash... but my initial gut reaction was starting Patty just bc of Pop's preference for experience and starting on the road, you would want the best possible chance. Ball should be in Kawhi's hands anyways and Mills is the better shooter, and off the ball player, also has the most chemistry etc. Murray, Manu, Simmons should be fine with Simmons picking up more minutes than Murray who could maybe give 10 minutes. I think you ride the hot hand among that crew. Ky is in the doghouse at this point, I don't think Pop wants to play him, so I am not counting him in unless the others are shitting the bed.

gambit1990
05-04-2017, 01:09 PM
i sign off on simmons starting.

SpursforSix
05-04-2017, 01:11 PM

IDK about that. I mean...it's not like bringing the ball up is physically demanding. Plus it skips the Spurs making a few passes to get him the ball. But they'll need someone to step up and knock down shots to keep the other team from doubling or tripling on him.

MaNu4Tres
05-04-2017, 02:06 PM
Starters: Mills - DG - Kawhi - LA - Pau

1st quarter

At 6 minute mark: Pau & Mills sub out for Simmons and Manu. Manu - Simmons - DG - Kawhi - LA line up from 6 minutes to 2 minutes.

At 2 minute mark sub in: Murray for Green. Gasol/Lee or Dedmon for LA. Bertans for Kawhi. Murray - Manu - Simmons - Bertans - Gasol/Dedmon/Lee

2nd quarter

Start the 2nd the same unit:

At 10 minute mark: Sub back Kawhi for Simmons. (Murray - Manu - Kawhi - Bertans - Gasol/Dedmon/Lee)

At 8 minute mark: Sub in Green for Manu. Patty for Bertans, LA for Gasol. And depending on how Murray is playing, if he's bad -- put in Lee, Anderson for Murray (Patty - Green - Kawhi - Anderson/Lee - LA ). If Murray is doing well, stick with him til the 6 minute mark. ( Murray - Patty - Green - Kawhi - LA)

At 6 minute mark: Depending on how they are playing; Sub in Gasol, Manu or Simmons for Lee/Anderson ( if Murray is bad). Gasol, Manu, or Simmons For Murray if Murray plays good)

Close the half with either of these: Patty - Green - Simmons - Kawhi - LA
Patty - Manu - Green - Kawhi - LA.
Patty - Green - Kawhi - LA - Gasol.

Rinse and repeat 2nd half.

Chris
05-05-2017, 11:33 PM
Simmons has had a nice efficient series so far :tu

GSH
05-05-2017, 11:36 PM
Even during that stretch of the RS when Simmons was dogging it on the offensive end, he was playing good D. Underrated here for that, IMO. He did a damn good job of staying in front of a number of the top offensive players.

SAGirl
05-05-2017, 11:49 PM
he ad a good game. I was going to make a thread about it.. but there are way too many threads already and I do not crave that kind of attention.
GG Simms.

playbonner15
05-05-2017, 11:50 PM
Pop finally reading ST threads

TheGreatYacht
05-05-2017, 11:53 PM
Pop finally reading ST threads
Still benched him in crunch time for the equadorian turnover machine smh.

That first half buzzer beater was huge.

05-06-2017, 12:14 AM
Even during that stretch of the RS when Simmons was dogging it on the offensive end, he was playing good D. Underrated here for that, IMO. He did a damn good job of staying in front of a number of the top offensive players.

yup, and he did an excellent job of helping in the paint then getting back out to prevent the kickout 3

playbonner15
05-06-2017, 12:02 PM
Game 2, they played with Mills and Manu, this time they played with Gasol/Aldridge. Pop still experimenting but I think he saw these 3 belong to one of his best combinations for defense and offense(if Green is hitting his shots)