PDA

View Full Version : Someone remind me...why didn't we go after Conley

SpursforSix
05-04-2017, 03:38 PM
I really can't remember. Was it the money? Or was it the fact that he keeps getting hurt? His contract looks like it'd be a bargain right now.
Or was it that he wasn't going to leave Memphis?

hater
05-04-2017, 03:43 PM
We were but Memphis gave him a historic contract

dabom
05-04-2017, 03:46 PM
We couldn't pay parker 16 mil to come off the bench. We also have patty.

SpursforSix
05-04-2017, 03:48 PM
We were but Memphis gave him a historic contract

Right. I get that. But did the Spurs have the money to offer him the same? Or was it some kind of deal where he could get more from the Grizz? I completely don't remember.

SpursforSix
05-04-2017, 03:48 PM
We couldn't pay parker 16 mil to come off the bench. We also have patty.

what if Parker had gotten shot?

cd98
05-04-2017, 03:49 PM
I think he's the second highest paid player this year after LeBron. Not sure the Spurs would ever do that for a guard who hasn't made an all star team at his age.

SpursforSix
05-04-2017, 03:53 PM
I think he's the second highest paid player this year after LeBron. Not sure the Spurs would ever do that for a guard who hasn't made an all star team at his age.

Yeah...it's all hindsight I suppose. But he's exactly the type of player than would fit in with the system. And he's not totally dependent on his quickness.

gambit1990
05-04-2017, 03:56 PM
ESPN’s Marc Stein reports the Spurs intend to court Conley in July in addition to Durant. San Antonio was eliminated from the playoffs Thursday and faces some uncertainty this off-season surrounding the potential retirements of longtime stars Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili.

If those two players retire or opt out and restructure their deals, acquiring Conley could be possible thanks to the upcoming salary-cap spike. But such a move would affect the status of veteran starting point guard Tony Parker, 33, who would likely have to accept a bench role or have his contract — due to pay more than $14 million next season — moved to accommodate the younger Conley.

Since early in the offseason, the San Antonio Spurs have been rumored to be chasing free agent point guard Mike Conley. There have been reports that the Memphis guard is interested in wearing the silver and black however there's may be a bump in the road.

It appears Conley is worried about joining the Spurs because of another point guard already on the roster - Tony Parker.

SpursFan86
05-04-2017, 04:00 PM
His contract looks like it'd be a bargain right now.

What? He's making $125+ million over the next 4 years and will be 33 years old by the end of it :lol I mean if you think he's worth the contract, that's one thing...but how can you call that a bargain?

SpursforSix
05-04-2017, 04:02 PM
What? He's making $125+ million over the next 4 years and will be 33 years old by the end of it :lol I mean if you think he's worth the contract, that's one thing...but how can you call that a bargain?

It's relative. The next group of resignings are going to make that look cheap. And I think he's easily got a couple of years left at peak level. As I said, I don't think he's super dependent on quickness.

Brazil
05-04-2017, 04:03 PM
his contract looks like a bargain ? :lmao

I knew OP was a retard but this is reaching epic proportion :lol

UNT Eagles 2016
05-04-2017, 04:05 PM
Someone remind me... why didn't I buy a Ferrari for myself for New Year's? (It would have helped me get laid with any girl at the club)...

same principle.

TheGreatYacht
05-04-2017, 04:08 PM
OP fagging it up per par

SpursforSix
05-04-2017, 04:12 PM
his contract looks like a bargain ? :lmao

I knew OP was a retard but this is reaching epic proportion :lol

Someone remind me... why didn't I buy a Ferrari for myself for New Year's? (It would have helped me get laid with any girl at the club)...

same principle.

OP fagging it up per par

Retard Krew roll call ^

Poolboy5623
05-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Isn't he the highest paid player in the league...?

tonight...you
05-04-2017, 04:23 PM
Bargain!

Chinook
05-04-2017, 04:24 PM
a) They did
b) Because it was a dumb idea.

Joseph Kony
05-04-2017, 04:34 PM
because he got a 33 million a season contract and we didnt have the space to sign him, he was never a real option

rastaspur
05-04-2017, 04:41 PM
Why ask why, try bud dry.

GSH
05-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Highest paid player in the league. A better question would be why they didn't go after Isaiah Thomas.

MultiTroll
05-04-2017, 05:23 PM
Nope
30.9 Bron
26.5 Conley

daslicer
05-04-2017, 05:25 PM
While we are at it how come the Spurs didn't sign Lebron in the summer of '14. He as a free agent they should have pursued him. Retarded thread by a retarded poster.

gambit1990
05-04-2017, 05:31 PM
Highest paid player in the league. A better question would be why they didn't go after Isaiah Thomas.
your first statement is wrong.

i do agree, the spurs shoulda gone after isaiah. no one else really did. boston got him on the cheap.

While we are at it how come the Spurs didn't sign Lebron in the summer of '14. He as a free agent they should have pursued him. Retarded thread by a retarded poster.
conley had interest in signing with the spurs.

Hoops Czar
05-04-2017, 05:43 PM
a) They did
b) Because it was a dumb idea.

They did their due diligence by making a phone call . They didn't persue him beyond that. The media made this a bigger story than it actually was.

coachmac87
05-04-2017, 05:56 PM
They had Conley in mind and now they'll focus on Paul..just depends what Paul wants tbh

rastaspur
05-04-2017, 06:02 PM
So does cp3 prioritize winning over landing a much more lucrative contract in l.a. ? I dont think so.

My gut reaction is he could wind up here if the clippers completely blow it up and dont want to re-up with him at the max.

daslicer
05-04-2017, 06:28 PM
your first statement is wrong.

i do agree, the spurs shoulda gone after isaiah. no one else really did. boston got him on the cheap.

conley had interest in signing with the spurs.

Spurs did not have the money to sign him so even if he was interested they were not going to be able to match the Grizz's offer.

gospursgojas
05-04-2017, 06:29 PM
LOL contract bargain

gambit1990
05-04-2017, 06:38 PM
Spurs did not have the money to sign him so even if he was interested they were not going to be able to match the Grizz's offer.
money could have definitely been the deciding factor. reports were that conley was put off with parker being on the roster.

i had to point out that your "how come the Spurs didn't sign Lebron" was utterly irrelevant.

dbreiden83080
05-04-2017, 06:45 PM
Re-visit the Conley deal in about 3 years..

daslicer
05-04-2017, 06:53 PM
money could have definitely been the deciding factor. reports were that conley was put off with parker being on the roster.

i had to point out that your "how come the Spurs didn't sign Lebron" was utterly irrelevant.

It came down to money. It usually always comes down to money when a player is in his prime at least 99 percent of the time unless your Lebron or Durant. Also can you provide proof Conley was put off by Parker. Send me some links that shows this to be the case because honestly your biased views on Parker are up there with Fox news biased views on blacks. :lol at blaming Parker for Conley not being on the Spurs. Pretty retarded point made by you. By the way my Lebron response was all sarcasm. But according to your logic I can say Lebron was interested in the spurs at first but he was turned off by the fact that Kawhi was on the roster and that's why he picked Cleveland over the Spurs according to some made up reports I heard.

gambit1990
05-04-2017, 07:29 PM
It came down to money. It usually always comes down to money when a player is in his prime at least 99 percent of the time unless your Lebron or Durant. Also can you provide proof Conley was put off by Parker. Send me some links that shows this to be the case because honestly your biased views on Parker are up there with Fox news biased views on blacks. :lol at blaming Parker for Conley not being on the Spurs. Pretty retarded point made by you.
the thread was one page and you still managed to not see my first post?

do you have proof on conley saying it came down to money? send me some links.

i didn't know you were being sarcastic about lebron. people on here would mean the stupid thing you said. chalk it up to a misunderstanding.

Hoops Czar
05-04-2017, 07:43 PM
the thread was one page and you still managed to not see my first post?

do you have proof on conley saying it came down to money? send me some links.

i didn't know you were being sarcastic about lebron. people on here would mean the stupid thing you said. chalk it up to a misunderstanding.

Nobody can be this obtuse. It came down to money because the Spurs couldn't afford both Conley and Pau and they had already committed to Pau as their de facto back up plan to missing out on Durant. Parker made it quite clear that he had no problem with his changing role and wasn't worried in the least about a Conley signing but somehow, you still tried to make it about Parker.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/spurs-tony-parker-on-changing-his-role-i-am-fine-with-it/

Parker said he harbors no concerns about his future role, reiterating that his job is only to please coach Gregg Popovich."We talked about it all year long," Parker said. "I am fine with it (a changing role), and going forward it's going to be like that. As long as Pop is happy, I'm good."

gambit1990
05-04-2017, 07:55 PM
Nobody can be this obtuse. It came down to money because the Spurs couldn't afford both Conley and Pau and they had already committed to Pau as their de facto back up plan to missing out on Durant. Parker made it quite clear that he had no problem with his changing role and wasn't worried in the least about a Conley signing but somehow, you still tried to make it about Parker.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/spurs-tony-parker-on-changing-his-role-i-am-fine-with-it/
i quoted two sources the same way you're quoting one.

Hoops Czar
05-04-2017, 08:20 PM
i quoted two sources the same way you're quoting one.

From the same quote no doubt. Why would I want to post about redundant sources that are quoting the same thing? Meanwhile, you splashed a single comment in a thread which wasn't even a quote.

Horse
05-04-2017, 08:29 PM
I really can't remember. Was it the money? Or was it the fact that he keeps getting hurt? His contract looks like it'd be a bargain right now.
Or was it that he wasn't going to leave Memphis?
Cause he's a horsetooth buckeye

gambit1990
05-04-2017, 08:37 PM
From the same quote no doubt.
wrong. plain and simple.

maybe if it was one quote i would've left one quote? :lol

wildbill2u
05-05-2017, 09:07 AM
If Parker is out for next year as well, don't the Spurs have insurance on these guys to pay their contracts or most of it? That would take the pressure off if they don't have to continue to pay Tony a big salary and allow them to go fishing for another guard.

james evans
05-05-2017, 09:15 AM
Conley's contract alone is still better than, green, ginobli, gasol combined(in which he outpriduced all 3 last series)

NameLess Scrub
05-05-2017, 09:28 AM
He's paid way too much and is injury prone.

Just because he burned the Spurs PGs in one series doesn't mean he's worth Lebron money.
If that was the criteria, most PGs in the league would be 125 million players.

SpursforSix
05-05-2017, 09:59 AM
He's paid way too much and is injury prone.

Just because he burned the Spurs PGs in one series doesn't mean he's worth Lebron money.
If that was the criteria, most PGs in the league would be 125 million players.

He probably just had his best season ever. And some of those injuries were freak incidents. TBH, I didn't see him play much this year but from what I have seen, he's a damn good PG. Probably top 5 in the NBA. And his game would translate almost perfectly to the Spurs system.

SpursforSix
05-05-2017, 10:01 AM
Conley's contract alone is still better than, green, ginobli, gasol combined(in which he outpriduced all 3 last series)

Exactly. I don't mind Green's contract but Gasol, Ginobli, and Parker are all drags. That being said, hindsight is 20/20 and I was all for getting Gasol.

DPG21920
05-05-2017, 10:02 AM
Exactly. I don't mind Green's contract but Gasol, Ginobli, and Parker are all drags. That being said, hindsight is 20/20 and I was all for getting Gasol.

Tony Parker outplayed Conley on his home floor during an elimination game and sent his mega contract home packing.

SpursforSix
05-05-2017, 10:05 AM
Tony Parker outplayed Conley on his home floor during an elimination game and sent his mega contract home packing.

The Phoenix had several great games recently. Which I appreciate. But Conley is by far the better player and has more productive years in front of him.

NameLess Scrub
05-05-2017, 10:09 AM
He probably just had his best season ever. And some of those injuries were freak incidents. TBH, I didn't see him play much this year but from what I have seen, he's a damn good PG. Probably top 5 in the NBA. And his game would translate almost perfectly to the Spurs system.

I think everybody wanted him to come. He's a good PG and an upgrade. Just not a max player.
Hard to be top 5 too in this PG saturated league.

Another question would be, freak incidents or not, if he can keep himself healthy.

DPG21920
05-05-2017, 10:12 AM
The Phoenix had several great games recently. Which I appreciate. But Conley is by far the better player and has more productive years in front of him.

We will see. Normally, if you make a player the highest paid player in nba history you expect more than first round exits. Conley is a good player, but he's making superstar money and I'm not quite sure, despite him playing the best basketball I've ever seen him play, he's going to be "worth" it.

Spurs9
05-05-2017, 10:20 AM
Because of :lol todays NBA contracts

SpursforSix
05-05-2017, 10:29 AM
We will see. Normally, if you make a player the highest paid player in nba history you expect more than first round exits. Conley is a good player, but he's making superstar money and I'm not quite sure, despite him playing the best basketball I've ever seen him play, he's going to be "worth" it.

IDK. He's on a pretty average team and I'm not sure you can grade players on what they make anymore. It is a shitload of money and at the time seemed like a gamble based on his injuries. But the Spurs overpay several players already. He's just so damn solid and has no indications of being a head case. Even if he loses a step in the coming years, he'll still have a skillset that would keep him a solid starting PG.

SpursFan86
05-05-2017, 10:35 AM
He's just so damn solid and has no indications of being a head case. Even if he loses a step in the coming years, he'll still have a skillset that would keep him a solid starting PG.

I don't know about you, but I'm not trying to pay a guy $30+ million a year to be "solid".

Brazil
05-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Retard Krew roll call ^

I already told you to stick with girlie topics in the club.Basketball is not your thing tbh

last warning brah

SpursforSix
05-05-2017, 10:45 AM
I don't know about you, but I'm not trying to pay a guy $30+ million a year to be "solid".

That's today's NBA. And "solid" probably understates his value. I think he averages about 20 per game and has good assist numbers. Plus he can play D. He's exactly what the Spurs need. You're not going to find a player like that on the cheap. We're paying Parker $15,000,000. And Ginobili a ton as well.

I think Conley is a top 5 PG. Especially when you compare his salary with what some of the others are about to get.

tenbeersbold
05-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Conley ain't worth the $$$,then or now
He got outplayed by a 35 yo Parker

SpursforSix
05-05-2017, 02:25 PM
Conley ain't worth the $$$,then or now
He got outplayed by a 35 yo Parker

LOL. "outplayed".