PDA

View Full Version : Do the Spurs have players that can bring the ball up the floor under "pressure"?

dabom
05-04-2017, 09:31 PM
Now that Tony is gone.

MultiTroll
05-04-2017, 09:53 PM
Bertie, Murray, Kwa imo can break down about any D bringing it upcourt.

Yes Bertie too.

Old School 44
05-04-2017, 10:26 PM
Are you worried about a Beno Udrih moment?

MultiTroll
05-04-2017, 10:29 PM
A medicated Manu can too.

dabom
05-04-2017, 10:30 PM
A medicated Manu can too.

you sure about that?

SAGirl
05-05-2017, 03:03 AM
Bertie, Murray, Kwa imo can break down about any D bringing it upcourt.

Yes Bertie too.
Ridiculous

EIC
05-05-2017, 06:56 AM
Green, ideally.

DPG21920
05-05-2017, 07:05 AM
This is not college basketball where you have to worry about getting pressed full court every possession. However, I would not be surprised to see the amount of presses on Mills/whomever go way up from what we have seen so far.

Most teams or players, don't even bother doing that with TP other than extreme situational moments because it's fruitless because TP is too good. With Mills, they are going to try and force TO's with this though and test him out. The concern is not that he will turn it over directly with this (which can happen obviously) but that it disrupts the flow of the offense a ton and gets SA into deeper shot clock situations.

OP probably was not intending this to be an actual conversation but I do think it's a wrinkle to keep an eye on with Mills/Murray if they start vs Bev. They will be tested in this regard IMO and have to prove they can handle it.

Brazil
05-05-2017, 07:07 AM
OP probably was not intending this to be an actual conversation

:lol you don't tell

MaNu4Tres
05-05-2017, 07:10 AM
This is not college basketball where you have to worry about getting pressed full court every possession. However, I would not be surprised to see the amount of presses on Mills/whomever go way up from what we have seen so far.

Most teams or players, don't even bother doing that with TP other than extreme situational moments because it's fruitless because TP is too good. With Mills, they are going to try and force TO's with this though and test him out. The concern is not that he will turn it over directly with this (which can happen obviously) but that it disrupts the flow of the offense a ton and gets SA into deeper shot clock situations.

OP probably was not intending this to be an actual conversation but I do think it's a wrinkle to keep an eye on with Mills/Murray if they start vs Bev. They will be tested in this regard IMO and have to prove they can handle it.

Beverly has the stamina to utilize pressure vs. Mills.

If I'm Spurs I have Kawhi bring the ball up, if Bev is constantly pressuring Mills.

Won't be a difficult adjustment.

DPG21920
05-05-2017, 07:13 AM
Beverly has the stamina to utilize pressure vs. Mills.

If I'm Spurs I have Kawhi bring the ball up, if Bev is constantly pressuring Mills.

Won't be a difficult adjustment.

Sure, the adjustment is simple in that regard but it changes quite a few things for SA with that happening. Kawhi is not a robot and all the little off script plays that happen with a ball handler like TP bringing it up will be gone in that scenario. Ma be unavoidable with no TP now, but it would definitely be a big deal if Kawhi is forced to bring the ball up. The offense will not get many of the easy points that happen with someone like TP bringing the ball up and initiating the offense or going off script to create.

Solid D
05-05-2017, 07:30 AM
Most of the Spurs perimeter players can, & have done so...but Danny Green is a very bad option. Whenever a team has tried trapping them, the Spurs have passed and broken the press pretty well.

playbonner15
05-05-2017, 08:17 AM
This is not middle school where players are panicking because the other team decided to apply full court pressure :lol

DesignatedT
05-05-2017, 08:48 AM
There's ways to counter a press without having to rely on someone to dribble out of it every time. On the coaching staff to figure that out if they go to it. Also, Kyle can handle the ball some also if need be. And now that I am thinking about it, the Spurs really miss Diaw right about now.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-05-2017, 08:53 AM
Simmons and Murray can do that Rucker park shit

NameLess Scrub
05-05-2017, 08:57 AM
They will all get their pockets picked the same way Beverly blows by all of them for layups and floaters.

TheGreatYacht
05-05-2017, 08:58 AM
Whenever Green or Mills bring the ball up the floor, it's 100% guaranteed they'll give it to Aldridge in the post :lol can't playmake for shit....

Chinook
05-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Whenever Green or Mills bring the ball up the floor, it's 100% guaranteed they'll give it to Aldridge in the post :lol can't playmake for shit....

There's a reason why those guys in particular would go for post entries. I'm pretty sure that the only reason why they (especially Danny) are the ones bringing the ball up the court in the first place is because Pop called a post-up.

The full-court pressure shouldn't be a big deal. There might be a TO here or there, but it is what it is. What the Spurs can't do is have three guys lolly gagging while the handler gets trapped. Give the guy outlets, and it will break the pressure.

Half-court play-making is a much bigger concern.

dabom
05-05-2017, 01:03 PM

:lol

Yuixafun
05-05-2017, 01:13 PM
Rockets can score in bunches and balloon that lead up in a hurry off a few poor offensive possesions or Turnovers. This will be explored in game 3 for sure. And they'll be in Houston to add to the pressure, plus guys being uncomfortable having to do more than their normal role.

I can see Patty getting overwhelmed, Juice being too in a rush, and Murray dribbling into doom.

I hope Manu got something for us.

hater
05-05-2017, 02:01 PM

:lmao just like scrubs in the park. "Let me pass it to that tall guy and my job is done" :lol

Texas_Ranger
05-05-2017, 02:06 PM
Are you worried about a Beno Udrih moment?

ohh, good old 05 days...

r0drig0lac
05-05-2017, 03:34 PM
Sure, the adjustment is simple in that regard but it changes quite a few things for SA with that happening. Kawhi is not a robot and all the little off script plays that happen with a ball handler like TP bringing it up will be gone in that scenario. Ma be unavoidable with no TP now, but it would definitely be a big deal if Kawhi is forced to bring the ball up. The offense will not get many of the easy points that happen with someone like TP bringing the ball up and initiating the offense or going off script to create.

Yes, he is

MultiTroll
05-05-2017, 06:23 PM
Ridiculous
:lol yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF-b5L4PXw0

MultiTroll
05-05-2017, 06:27 PM
and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vww0MTw1Ns

MultiTroll
05-05-2017, 06:28 PM
When Porky was out earlier, the only stretch this season where Dejounte got consistent minutes was Jan 19-24. 4 games.
He did just fine.

DMC
05-05-2017, 08:06 PM
It's one thing to bring the ball up, but quite something else to bring it up with the right tempo, watching Pop's calls as you get to the halfcourt (without getting picked) and start the set. I'm sure they practice it when the loudest thing in the gym is the sound of sneakers on wood (a sound my wife hates but I love dearly) but it's different when you're on the road in a hostile environment in the conference semifinals and you're not there as a relief.

Manu has the poise and temp down, but he's too trigger happy on risky passes. He doesn't protect the ball as well as Parker but he's a much more streaky scorer and playmaker.

We're 70% fucked with a 30% chance of wounded animal response.

SAGirl
05-05-2017, 08:06 PM
:lol yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF-b5L4PXw0
I mean Davis... obviously

DPG21920
05-05-2017, 09:52 PM
So ya - this was an issue as expected.

DPG21920
05-05-2017, 09:53 PM
There's a reason why those guys in particular would go for post entries. I'm pretty sure that the only reason why they (especially Danny) are the ones bringing the ball up the court in the first place is because Pop called a post-up.

The full-court pressure shouldn't be a big deal. There might be a TO here or there, but it is what it is. What the Spurs can't do is have three guys lolly gagging while the handler gets trapped. Give the guy outlets, and it will break the pressure.

Half-court play-making is a much bigger concern.

10 turnovers.

Arcadian
05-05-2017, 10:01 PM

For future reference, the expression is "you don't say." To be fair, the word tell pretty much means the same thing as say, but I've never heard anyone say "you don't tell."

Brazil
05-06-2017, 09:58 PM

For future reference, the expression is "you don't say." To be fair, the word tell pretty much means the same thing as say, but I've never heard anyone say "you don't tell."

:tu thanks brah for the heads up