PDA

View Full Version : My opinion on who replaces Tony...

Chews
05-04-2017, 10:11 PM
For Rockets series:

I think Simmons would be a good fit for starting at PG in Tony's place and make the offense flow through Kawhi. I think Kawhi has played better on the PnR/PnP so he could run that with Aldridge in place of the Tony/LMA PnP. On the offensive end Simmons can bring more athleticism and ability to drive and kick, while being able to shoot around what Parker does (haven't looked at numbers). On defense, it will allow us to not have a liability in the backcourt when they do Beverly/Harden screens and I think Simmons overall is a better defender. Simmons doesn't have the BBIQ of Parker and hopefully Pop will give him an earful on every dumb decision if this happens to keep him in check. He doesn't need to take over but just fill that gap. Also, this lineup will allow Patty (who I think is going to be the starter) to play with the second unit and keep that chemistry going.

Sorry if this has been suggested in another thread... i've been sick and haven't been able to keep up.

TL;DR Start Simmons in Tony's place; Run offense through Kawhi; Keep Patty with second unit; Kyle and Murray take some of what used to be Simmons' minutes.

poop
05-04-2017, 10:22 PM
Stopped reading at first sentence

DMC
05-04-2017, 10:25 PM
Here's a novel idea: Let's get everyone to start a new thread any time they have something to say instead of posting it in an already existing thread talking about the same thing. I mean, you wouldn't want your epiphany buried in the trash heap of all the other posters' responses, so make new threads.

1. Think
2. Start thread about what appeared when you thought
3. Think again
4. Start another thread

Chews

Not sure why you felt the need to tell me...

GSH
http://i64.tinypic.com/9hq92v.gif

Chews
05-04-2017, 10:28 PM
Here's a novel idea: Let's get everyone to start a new thread any time they have something to say instead of posting it in an already existing thread talking about the same thing. I mean, you wouldn't want your epiphany buried in the trash heap of all the other posters' responses, so make new threads.

1. Think
2. Start thread about what appeared when you thought
3. Think again
4. Start another thread

I guess we shouldn't make threads on a sports forum or DMC might get upset
:rolleyes

How about we be a big boy and scroll past threads that we don't want to read?

Chews
05-04-2017, 10:29 PM
http://i64.tinypic.com/9hq92v.gif

Tell me why you disagree. Im not saying im 100% correct but it would be cool to actually discuss it lmao

unleashbaynes
Or you could not make shitty threads that people have to scroll past.

DMC
I guess we shouldn't make threads on a sports forum or DMC might get upset
:rolleyes

How about we be a big boy and scroll past threads that we don't want to read?

:cry I've been too sick to read, but not too sick to start new threads :cry

Fucking gnsf every year in the post season.

Chews
05-04-2017, 10:30 PM
Or you could not make shitty threads that people have to scroll past.

Tell me why its a shitty thread, tbh.

Chews
05-04-2017, 10:31 PM
:cry I've been too sick to read, but not too sick to start new threads :cry

Fucking gnsf every year in the post season.

Haven't been on the forum in awhile so it should be understandable if I don't know what every post in every thread says, sorry for not living on here.

"I have to post in a thread i don't like to say that i don't like it" :depressed

Nathan89
05-04-2017, 10:33 PM
Simmons isn't a pg. He's barely an NBA player.

I also stopped reading after that.

BillMc
05-04-2017, 10:33 PM
I think Simmons would be a good fit for starting at PG in Tony's place and make the offense flow through Kawhi. I think Kawhi has played better on the PnR/PnP so he could run that with Aldridge in place of the Tony/LMA PnP. On the offensive end Simmons can bring more athleticism and ability to drive and kick, while being able to shoot around what Parker does (haven't looked at numbers). On defense, it will allow us to not have a liability in the backcourt when they do Beverly/Harden screens and I think Simmons overall is a better defender. Simmons doesn't have the BBIQ of Parker and hopefully Pop will give him an earful on every dumb decision if this happens to keep him in check. He doesn't need to take over but just fill that gap. Also, this lineup will allow Patty (who I think is going to be the starter) to play with the second unit and keep that chemistry going.

Sorry if this has been suggested in another thread... i've been sick and haven't been able to keep up.

TL;DR Start Simmons in Tony's place; Run offense through Kawhi; Keep Patty with second unit; Kyle and Murray take some of what used to be Simmons' minutes.

I agree with you. Simmons would be best on D (if he has his rotations down). Kawhi is going to have to shoulder the load no matter who starts at the 1. We just need someone good enough on d to keep those Houston shooters honest, and good enough on O that the Houston d can't always double off of them. Anderson is so conservative on offense that Simmons makes more sense.

That said there should be a quick hook if Simmons has one of his "selfish stop the ball" games.

Chews
05-04-2017, 10:36 PM
Simmons isn't a pg. He's barely an NBA player.

I also stopped reading after that.

I understand Simmons isnt a PG, but we're in a situation that doesn't really allow any great options. Mills starting and murray playing backup minutes? Murray starting and mills playing backup? Im ready for some Murray but if he's not ready for the fire, then what?

Out of all the post, where do you think it would fail? Don't think it's a good idea for Kawhi to be handling the PG duties? Simmons would get torched? It's a discussion because our starting PG got a season ending injury, not because I just felt like saying Simmons should be a PG.

It's cool if you or others disagree but damn, you could at least read the reasoning and provide your own opinion. I'm not sure why that's such a complicated thing on an internet forums.... meant to discuss ideas.

ducks
05-04-2017, 10:37 PM
Patty is not a pg either he is a sg in a very small pg body

Nathan89
05-04-2017, 10:38 PM
I understand Simmons isnt a PG, but we're in a situation that doesn't really allow any great options. Mills starting and murray playing backup minutes? Murray starting and mills playing backup? Im ready for some Murray but if he's not ready for the fire, then what?

Out of all the post, where do you think it would fail? Don't think it's a good idea for Kawhi to be handling the PG duties? Simmons would get torched? It's a discussion because our starting PG got a season ending injury, not because I just felt like saying Simmons should be a PG.

It's cool if you or others disagree but damn, you could at least read the reasoning and provide your own opinion. I'm not sure why that's such a complicated thing on an internet forums.... meant to discuss ideas.

Spurs will find a pg that is better than Simmons.

Chews
05-04-2017, 10:40 PM
I agree with you. Simmons would be best on D (if he has his rotations down). Kawhi is going to have to shoulder the load no matter who starts at the 1. We just need someone good enough on d to keep those Houston shooters honest, and good enough on O that the Houston d can't always double off of them. Anderson is so conservative on offense that Simmons makes more sense.

That said there should be a quick hook if Simmons has one of his "selfish stop the ball" games.

Yea, it would have to be a trial and react on how it's going. I'm ready for Murray but i'm worried he will get torched by Harden (pat/harden screen) and get 4 fouls by half on lame flops. He won't get benefit of the doubt against Harden and it could get ugly. No silver bullet in this situation, but my opinion is Simmons at the 1 in the SL gives us the best match-up against their SL while Patty being able to play with second unit.

Chews
05-04-2017, 10:41 PM
Spurs will find a pg that is better than Simmons.

If you're talking about next season then hell yea... we can't have Simmons permanently moved to PG. If thats a miscommunication, then I need to clarify by saying I was speaking about this series.

FkLA
05-04-2017, 10:43 PM
You should reword your OP and you'll get a better response. You're basically saying let Kawhi be a point forward. Simmons would get the start but he really wouldn't be the PG. Not a terrible idea but idk if Juice is consistent enough to start and his 3PT shot is pretty broken right now. Definitely not on par with what HOTS (RIP :cry) was doing this postseason (over 50% from 3 IIRC).

Chews
05-04-2017, 10:48 PM
You should reword your OP and you'll get a better response. You're basically saying let Kawhi be a point forward. Simmons would get the start but he really wouldn't be the PG. Not a terrible idea but idk if Juice is consistent enough to start and his 3PT shot is pretty broken right now. Definitely not on par with what HOTS (RIP :cry) was doing this postseason (over 50% from 3 IIRC).

Tony was killing it, which makes his injury tough to swallow. No silver bullet in this situation and whoever gets that spot is subject to get changed based on the teams performance. Mills and Murray make offensive sense to start, but I think they will be overwhelmed on the other end of the court; Murrays inexperience and Pattys size. Although I don't recall Patty getting burned often, it might still be a good idea to let him run a lot with the second unit. Tough situation.

SAGirl
05-04-2017, 10:51 PM
I prefer Murray... but he's a rook that has seldom played the last few weeks of the season so maybe my wish is unrealistic.

Pops likely approach: start Mills, Murray to the bench, with bench playmaking on Ginobili, with Simmons increasing his role for more scoring and maybe Kyle picks up bench minutes as well, or Murray. I'd sneak in Bertans sometime if they need a 3pt threat... but anyways, all of these guys Murray, Kyle, Davis should get the bench minutes, and Mills start. In the bench, you ride the hot hand. Pau needs to bring up his scoring. Kyle when aggressive has been efficiently scoring tbh.. underrated player.

Also, GWS OP

Chews
05-04-2017, 10:52 PM
I prefer Murray... but he's a rook that has seldom played the last few weeks of the season so maybe my wish is unrealistic.

Pops likely approach: start Mills, Murray to the bench, with bench playmaking on Ginobili, with Simmons increasing his role for more scoring and maybe Kyle picks up bench minutes as well, or Murray. I'd sneak in Bertans sometime if they need a 3pt threat... but anyways, all of these guys Murray, Kyle, Davis should get the bench minutes, and Mills start. In the bench, you ride the hot hand. Pau needs to bring up his scoring. Kyle when aggressive has been efficiently scoring tbh.. underrated player.

I think this is the most likely scenario as well.

TheDoctor
05-04-2017, 11:07 PM
If Simmons gets the nod as a starter, HOU will switch the hell up until Juice is either with Harden or Ariza. He would foul-out in the 1st 3 mins tbh

Chews
05-04-2017, 11:08 PM
If Simmons gets the nod as a starter, HOU will switch the hell up until Juice is either with Harden or Ariza. He would foul-out in the 1st 3 mins tbh

You would rather have Murray or Mills on Harden? If so, we just disagree on that.

coachmac87
05-04-2017, 11:14 PM
OP has potential...

hater
05-04-2017, 11:19 PM

:lmao

Same here

Chews
05-04-2017, 11:22 PM
:lmao

Same here

Aren't you the guy known for "Avoid Grizzlies at all costs"??

:lol

TheDoctor
05-04-2017, 11:24 PM
You would rather have Murray or Mills on Harden? If so, we just disagree on that.

After a switch? Everytime. Simmons is just bigger than those guys. He's a foul machine and his "defense" is overrated tbh. Even Megamind is a better defender than Simmons, just xˆ1000 slower.

Chews
05-04-2017, 11:26 PM
After a switch? Everytime. Simmons is just bigger than those guys. He's a foul machine and his "defense" is overrated tbh. Even Megamind is a better defender than Simmons, just xˆ1000 slower.

Gotcha. What are you wanting that PG spot rotation to be?

james evans
05-05-2017, 09:17 AM
Hahahahahaha

Poolboy5623
05-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Simmons at pg? Lol keep it coming..

xellos88330
05-05-2017, 09:45 AM
For Rockets series:

I can't agree with this. I would rather start Murray in place of Simmons. I am looking at it from this angle. If Danny Green can dribble past Harden for easy layups, if a switch is forced that causes Murray to be guarded by Harden, then Murray could easily become quite the impactful player. Harden won't be able to keep up with Murray IMO and will be a foul or a layup waiting to happen. The defense is pretty much guaranteed to collapse leaving all kinds of open players. If Murray can get this switch, he should attack it 1v1 every single time.

Yuixafun
05-05-2017, 12:59 PM
They're used to playing against a Murray type guard.

Rockets gameplan against him at all and Murray will be traumatized.

He just doesn't have the developed tools, savvy, awareness or experience to deal with what will happen.

I doubt Pop would let Murray get damaged so early in his career.

You really want to throw in a blue chip prospect against an Mvp... aka world Titlist contender.

First round knockout and he'd be punch drunk forever after.

Murray in situations, but don't let this kid play in the deep ocean with currents when he's just learned to swim outside of the pool.

You pull a tooth before it's ready and you might make the root crooked.

Simmons is a solid idea, and also because it might be the way to go agains GS too.

Chews
05-05-2017, 04:36 PM
Simmons at pg? Lol keep it coming..

What flaws do you think Simmons in place of Tony would create?

Or Simmons in place of who you would like to start. Disagreements are fine my man but short statements like this one don't do anything for anybody other than to show you disagree.

Chews
05-05-2017, 04:39 PM
I can't agree with this. I would rather start Murray in place of Simmons. I am looking at it from this angle. If Danny Green can dribble past Harden for easy layups, if a switch is forced that causes Murray to be guarded by Harden, then Murray could easily become quite the impactful player. Harden won't be able to keep up with Murray IMO and will be a foul or a layup waiting to happen. The defense is pretty much guaranteed to collapse leaving all kinds of open players. If Murray can get this switch, he should attack it 1v1 every single time.

I can understand that, although Simmons is a great slasher as well. On the offensive end I think Simmons and Murray will bring similar tools, its the other end where I think you don't want Murray ending up on Harden. Wouldn't be a total mismatch, but you'd be asking a rookie to defend a MVP caliber player while the refs would give no benefit of the doubt to Murray. Scoring hopefully will not be a problem because Houstons defense is not that solid, limiting mistakes and not fouling is where I think the game has to be won for San Antonio.

Chinook
05-05-2017, 06:18 PM
I don't think it's a horrible idea. It probably keeps Harden on Green. Issue is, Simmons is loose with the ball sometimes, and getting steals is the only think Harden can do. So you can't rely on Jon going at Jas like that. Also, again you have Kyle necessarily getting minutes at the three. Can't say I care for him being used primarily on the perimeter. Still want him at the four, but whatever.

Maybe Pop will just go with Bryn.

SAGirl
05-05-2017, 08:15 PM
psyche
Dijon starting

tholdren
05-05-2017, 08:29 PM
For Rockets series:

257 shit takes and counting

Chews
05-05-2017, 08:53 PM
257 shit takes and counting

How ironic you call my posts shit takes as you comment with no substance.

sasaint
05-05-2017, 11:46 PM
For Rockets series:

Your guy played well tonight, and earned some more minutes. I doubt Pop starts him, though, because we won this game starting Dijon. But you deserved a bump. :tu

SAGirl
05-05-2017, 11:51 PM
How ironic you call my posts shit takes as you comment with no substance.
a common theme by any number of really bad trolls... not even funny substance either.
If you must be trolling be funny at least.

SAGirl
05-05-2017, 11:52 PM
Your guy played well tonight, and earned some more minutes. I doubt Pop starts him, though, because we won this game starting Dijon. But you deserved a bump. :tu
Has to stick to Dijon bc that bench needs every bit of the Juice. Without him they don't pull that off.
manu another Ofer.

Chews
05-06-2017, 12:09 AM

Thanks.

Not really "my guy", just the guy I think is the best for the situation. I actually like Murray a lot, I was just worried he would get torched on the defensive end. Fortunately, he held his own on defense minus a bad reach in.. it was the offensive side he looked very shaky.

They ran the lineup with Simmons at the 1 for a couple minutes in the fourth and it was doing really well to the point I thought Pop would use it to close out the game, but he decided to go back to Patty. Understandable because having another ball-handler out there when they full-court pressure is important.

DMC
05-06-2017, 12:12 AM
Has to stick to Dijon bc that bench needs every bit of the Juice. Without him they don't pull that off.
manu another Ofer.

Manu cannot even get the ball to the rim now. Funny he hit that 3 after the whistle for the transition foul on Kawhi. Ensuing possession he shot another 3 and missed almost everything. Never seen someone drop off so fast. I always knew he was a lithium ion battery.

sasaint
05-06-2017, 12:19 AM
Manu cannot even get the ball to the rim now. Funny he hit that 3 after the whistle for the transition foul on Kawhi. Ensuing possession he shot another 3 and missed almost everything. Never seen someone drop off so fast. I always knew he was a lithium ion battery.

Pop just needs to seat him on the far side of Anthony on the bench at this point.

SAGirl
05-06-2017, 12:27 AM
He's just old... and he can no longer play the entirety of his game. He wasn't only a 3 pt shooter, he could do other things if his shot wasn't falling etc. He wasn't one dimensional and that is what he's become. It's sad to see tbh bc we knew he wasn't always like this (and I have only watched highlights of his prime years... so I can understand the sentimentality)... but we are the ones that see him as he is right now.
:pop: I just see my bar of soap and I want to use him all up until there's nothing left... etc.

DMC
05-06-2017, 12:37 AM
:pop: "I want to wash my balls with Manu"

Chews
05-06-2017, 05:20 AM
:pop: "I want to wash my balls with Manu"

:lol what the fuck

Chews
05-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Didn't read past first sentence :lol