PDA

View Full Version : No increased role for Murray

picnroll
05-05-2017, 12:59 PM
The likely candidate to start in place of Parker is backup point guard Patty Mills. Popovich indicated that rookie point guard Dejounte Murray isn’t ready to start or have an increased role.

“Everybody progresses at a different rate,” Popovich said. “Dejounte hasn’t had a chance to play as much with that injury at the end of the year. His development was shortened a little bit, obviously, because he was out so long with that pelvic problem. He would have gotten a lot more time this season had he not been injured that way. When Tony was out, he did play. It’s just unfortunate that he was out for so long.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2017/05/05/popovich-keeps-spurs-new-starter-at-point-guard-to-himself/

Laughing Gravy
05-05-2017, 01:06 PM
Well isn't that special...

LaMarcus Bryant
05-05-2017, 01:09 PM
Seriously was the worst-timed injury for a promising rookie in spurs history

blizz
05-05-2017, 01:10 PM
That's fine and expected but he better not pull this shit where he puts him in as a last ditch effort and he starts balling and it's too little too late. That will piss me off.

NASpurs
05-05-2017, 01:11 PM
So... Manu's the backup PG?

hater
05-05-2017, 01:11 PM
:lmao dejounta take the keys to my office and empty my wastebin

SAGirl
05-05-2017, 01:15 PM
thanks for sharing. lol
I was wrong about Murray, but it doesn't surprise me.
Some of us thought him getting that injury towards the end of the season was one of the worst possible outcomes for him. To be fair, I thought at the time, his season was basically over and that we wouldn't see him until summer league. Tony getting injured sparked my hope we would see him again. I guess Pop goes with whatever vets he thinks can play and let's hope for the best.

SAGirl
05-05-2017, 01:17 PM
That's fine and expected but he better not pull this shit where he puts him in as a last ditch effort and he starts balling and it's too little too late. That will piss me off.
:bobo

Hoops Czar
05-05-2017, 01:19 PM

Acting like the injury had anything to do with Murray's development? :lol He had practically zero playing time when he was healthy. Pop rarely ever plays first year rookies and Murray was going to be no exception to that rule.

SAGirl
05-05-2017, 01:23 PM
Acting like the injury had anything to do with Murray's development? :lol He had practically zero playing time when he was healthy. Pop rarely ever plays first year rookies and Murray was going to be no exception to that rule.
when the seeding was decided Pop threw away some games playing Forbes etc... that was the playing time I think Pop referred to. It would have mattered for chemistry with teammates, confidence, and also for Pop to coach him, address mistakes etc. He missed those opportunities by being injured clearly.

apalisoc_9
05-05-2017, 01:24 PM

:lol

hater
05-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Yeah pop wasnt gonna play him anyway if he was healthy

This is just Pops way of being nice to his uoung PG since we lost our star pg

Hoops Czar
05-05-2017, 01:25 PM

Putting him in low leverage situations actually makes a lot more sense than throwing him into the fire of an intense playoff series and telling him to sink or swim. He'll get his chance eventually but for now, it's better to put him in a position to succeed rather than fail. Who knows, maybe those garbage time minutes will impress Pop enough to increase his workload as the series progresses.

Hoops Czar
05-05-2017, 01:27 PM
when the seeding was decided Pop threw away some games playing Forbes etc... that was the playing time I think Pop referred to. It would have mattered for chemistry with teammates, confidence, and also for Pop to coach him, address mistakes etc. He missed those opportunities by being injured clearly.

Where's Forbes right now? :lol

SAGirl
05-05-2017, 01:27 PM
Putting him in low leverage situations actually makes a lot more sense than throwing him into the fire of an intense playoff series and telling him to sink or swim. He'll get his chance eventually but for now, it's better to put him in a position to succeed rather than fail. Who knows, maybe those garbage time minutes will impress Pop enough to increase his workload as the series progresses.
one can hope...

SAGirl
05-05-2017, 01:28 PM
Dijon is clearly so much more talented... that is why I would have gone with him regardless. Probably Forbes will be in a suit anyways lol :lol

Chris
05-05-2017, 01:28 PM
:pop:: "These playoffs aren't for Dejounte."

Chris
05-05-2017, 01:29 PM
:pop:: "Manu's running the point faggots. Get ready for double digit turnovers."

Floyd Pacquiao
05-05-2017, 01:30 PM
Pop could have rookie LeBron, dwade and Carmelo and not play them cause of "inexperience". Just another shit coaching trait that he picked up from Larry brown

rastaspur
05-05-2017, 01:30 PM
Wishing lapro wasnt cut right about now. Oh well.

picnroll
05-05-2017, 01:31 PM

Forbes will be suited up. You can catch all his action in the pre-game and half time warm ups.

Chinook
05-05-2017, 01:32 PM
I have a feeling Murray will still play. But Pop did seem rather unimpressed with DeJounte after the Cavs game.

picnroll
05-05-2017, 01:33 PM
Pop could have rookie LeBron, dwade and Carmelo and not play them cause of "inexperience". Just another shit coaching trait that he picked up from Larry brown
Pop played Parker and Kawhi A LOT as rookies. Nothing to date has said Murray is that kind of prospect.

Yuixafun
05-05-2017, 01:36 PM
I still find it either contrived, odd coincidence, or spooky... that the Murray is the one who helped carry Parker off the floor.

I wonder what they said during that fateful encounter.

Also... Tony's expression while he's holding his knee... I wonder if was having flashbacks of his career and thinking so it all ends like this. Or if he was weighing in his mind if he had enough left to come back again, after a basketball eternity of rising up again.

I know he had made a promise to Tim in 2013 to get the Spurs back to the playoffs, and he damn near willed them to win the entire thing, save the horrible game 6 from Manu.

ElNono
05-05-2017, 01:37 PM
:pop: "Wouldn't be fair to Patty/Manu"

Leetonidas
05-05-2017, 01:39 PM
I really don't get Pop. Last time he decided to go with an inexperienced rookie PG it turned out pretty well for us. Give the kid a chance it's not like we have other options at this point. Dude is really gonna try to have Manu run backup Smh

SpursforSix
05-05-2017, 01:40 PM
:pop: I've got shit to do in a couple of weeks.

SpursforSix
05-05-2017, 01:41 PM
I really don't get Pop. Last time he decided to go with an inexperienced rookie PG it turned out pretty well for us. Give the kid a chance it's not like we have other options at this point. Dude is really gonna try to have Manu run backup Smh

:pop: I hate Murray.

Thomas82
05-05-2017, 01:42 PM

skulls138
05-05-2017, 01:48 PM
I really don't get Pop. Last time he decided to go with an inexperienced rookie PG it turned out pretty well for us. Give the kid a chance it's not like we have other options at this point. Dude is really gonna try to have Manu run backup SmhIf youre talking about Parker, he was playing with European pros/men since 14. If anyone is going to be next in line after Mills and Manu its KA.

Brazil
05-05-2017, 01:49 PM
:lol no surprise here.. as expected tbh

skulls138
05-05-2017, 01:51 PM
And whats so funny? Parker done showed everybody up, so Pop outsmarted all of you. Again. :lol

ceperez
05-05-2017, 02:08 PM
thanks for sharing. lol
I was wrong about Murray, but it doesn't surprise me.
Some of us thought him getting that injury towards the end of the season was one of the worst possible outcomes for him. To be fair, I thought at the time, his season was basically over and that we wouldn't see him until summer league. Tony getting injured sparked my hope we would see him again. I guess Pop goes with whatever vets he thinks can play and let's hope for the best.

Forbes isn't injured and he played well enough in his last game.

SAGirl
05-05-2017, 02:09 PM
:toast totally lol
funny:lol

picnroll
05-05-2017, 02:11 PM
Forbes isn't injured and he played well enough in his last game.
The last guy on the team I want to see pressured trying to handle the ball is Forbes.

SAGirl
05-05-2017, 02:17 PM
I still find it either contrived, odd coincidence, or spooky... that the Murray is the one who helped carry Parker off the floor.

I wonder what they said during that fateful encounter.

Also... Tony's expression while he's holding his knee... I wonder if was having flashbacks of his career and thinking so it all ends like this. Or if he was weighing in his mind if he had enough left to come back again, after a basketball eternity of rising up again.

I know he had made a promise to Tim in 2013 to get the Spurs back to the playoffs, and he damn near willed them to win the entire thing, save the horrible game 6 from Manu.
much respect to Tony... wow flashback to 2013..
"it still hurts" :depressed

Out of Topic:
I wonder if Lamarcus is going to make any kind of promise to Kawhi that he got this as the second banana from now on. tbh

gospursgojas
05-05-2017, 02:23 PM
I don't buy it. CIA pop. Murray will start.

objective
05-05-2017, 02:36 PM
George Hill was benched the second half of his role l rookie year, but still was able to make an impact after Pop got over himself.

Sounds like Pop is making the same mistake.

SPURt
05-05-2017, 02:44 PM
It looks like Patty and Simmons will get extended minutes with spots from KA. The only way we see Murray is if the panic button is being pressed harder and faster than Pop tongue punching Bonner's balloon knot.

NASpurs
05-05-2017, 02:49 PM
It looks like Patty and Simmons will get extended minutes with spots from KA. The only way we see Murray is if the panic button is being pressed harder and faster than Pop tongue punching Bonner's balloon knot.

:lol thanks for that mental image

marinoman
05-05-2017, 02:54 PM
It's gonna be Kyle Anderson taking backup pg minutes

absoloot66
05-05-2017, 02:57 PM

:wowWut?:lol

TheGreatYacht
05-05-2017, 03:05 PM
:pop: There's a game today? Sorry. Spent the whole day at the NASA space center here in Houston. Saw lots of planets. Talking about planets... Fathead is starting

GSH
05-05-2017, 03:05 PM
:pop: "It's just a game... except when it comes to playing rookies."

Joseph Kony
05-05-2017, 03:16 PM
If youre talking about Parker, he was playing with European pros/men since 14. If anyone is going to be next in line after Mills and Manu its KA.:lmao like that matters. Murray started and won against the defending champs, better than any shitty euro whites parker was playing against for 20 games a season in europe at 14

james evans
05-05-2017, 03:17 PM
And yall still wonder why everyone says, "I would have loved to play for popovich" but no big names ever come here ? hahaha

TheGreatYacht
05-05-2017, 03:24 PM
If anyone is going to be next in line after Mills and Manu its KA.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7roHSvXgAQ_Gz8.jpg

Budkin
05-05-2017, 03:35 PM

This. Can you remember who the original "wouldn't be fair" comment was about? Wasn't it about Splitter playing as a rookie?

SPURt
05-05-2017, 04:34 PM
:lol thanks for that mental image
LOl! My pleasure ;)

Chews
05-05-2017, 04:55 PM
Well this is frustrating.... fuck pop. He will do anything before putting Murray in JUST BECAUSE HE IS A ROOKIE. Unreal.

I get him being a rookie factors into the decision, but to flat out not play him because he is a rookie is annoying. He should at minimum have an increased role and you know what?? If he isn't playing well you pull him. Don't just not fucking play him. BAH this is annoying as fuck.

Snaq O'Meal
05-05-2017, 05:02 PM
And yall still wonder why everyone says, "I would have loved to play for popovich" but no big names ever come here ? hahaha

David West and LaMarcus Aldridge walked the talk. Look at where they are now.

Dex
05-05-2017, 05:08 PM
People are seriously over-rating Murray at this point. He definitely has potential...but most of that is still at least a season or two away from being unleashed.

He hardly played half the games this season, and aside from a few bright spots, didn't really look outstanding when. He can't shoot, his ball-handling is still shaky, and his decision making leaves much to be desired.

You seriously want to throw him to the wolves that are the Houston Rockets on their homecourt and expect him not to get overwhelmed? Pringles would target him every single time down the floor.

I get the hype for the kid and know he is technically our third string point guard, but he is simply not ready for more than spot minutes at this point. Gonna have to cover Parker's loss by committee, particularly with Mills, Manu, Simmons, and maybe Anderson picking up more ball-handling duties (so we don't have to dump EVERYTHING on Kawhi).

r0drig0lac
05-05-2017, 05:12 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7roHSvXgAQ_Gz8.jpg

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

DMC
05-05-2017, 05:15 PM

:pop: "Why are you vacuuming my office? Your job is to take out the trash. Do your fucking job, no that's not your fucking job. Sit your ass down. Wait, get your ass up, that's my chair, sit over there"

05-05-2017, 05:26 PM

spurtech09
05-05-2017, 05:27 PM
What does pop have to lose?....Might as well play Murray because the Spurs have nothing to lose.....Give Murray a chance.....

05-05-2017, 05:29 PM
Pop won't even play him tbh

Wouldnt be surprised if he rolled with Manu or Simmons or even KA instead of Murray

:pop: he's not over himself

rjv
05-05-2017, 05:50 PM
i guess no one wants to consider the very real possibility that murray is not ready. not for any significant minutes, at least.

SpursFan86
05-05-2017, 06:05 PM
I feel like people are forgetting that he pretty much missed all of March/April due to a groin injury. On top of him being an extremely raw rookie, missing the last month or so of the season definitely isn't helping.

I'm not saying he shouldn't get a chance at all...but I don't blame Pop for not thinking he's ready for this type of situation. If we're struggling at some point and the other guards are shitting the bed, then I wouldn't mind giving him the chance to show something. But just immediately giving him a sizable role is questionable.

NASpurs
05-05-2017, 07:04 PM

SpurPadre
05-05-2017, 07:07 PM

CIA Pop doing CIA Pop things.

SPURt
05-05-2017, 07:08 PM
OOOOOOHHHHH SNAP!

Nathan89
05-05-2017, 07:09 PM
WTF Pop playing mind games.

pad300
05-05-2017, 07:14 PM

not surprised. 1) When Murray's been healthy and Parker's been out, he's started. 2) When Parker went down, this season became a write-off for a ring; therefore the next objective is development. This is the best possible opportunity to see what we have with Murray...

My question is, does Pop get radical and start smallball? I'd like to see
Murray - Green - Kiwi - Bertans/Anderson - LMA

Either Kyle or Bertans can cover their Anderson. Kyle gives us a bit of an alternate ball handler while Bertans gives us more shooting.

DesignatedT
05-05-2017, 07:18 PM
Same ole idiots in this thread

tholdren
05-05-2017, 07:23 PM
The likely candidate to start in place of Parker is backup point guard Patty Mills. Popovich indicated that rookie point guard Dejounte Murray isn’t ready to start or have an increased role.

“Everybody progresses at a different rate,” Popovich said. “Dejounte hasn’t had a chance to play as much with that injury at the end of the year. His development was shortened a little bit, obviously, because he was out so long with that pelvic problem. He would have gotten a lot more time this season had he not been injured that way. When Tony was out, he did play. It’s just unfortunate that he was out for so long.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2017/05/05/popovich-keeps-spurs-new-starter-at-point-guard-to-himself/

gay

SAGirl
05-05-2017, 07:38 PM

Pop backpedaling on his own statements lol
I guess Becky or Ime talked him down from starting Manu.

hater
05-05-2017, 07:40 PM
Parker called Pop and told him to start the kid

Head Of Da Snake

picnroll
05-05-2017, 07:43 PM
Looks like Pop did a 180. Lots of pressure on Murray. I'd be surprised if he doesn't come out pretty passive initially. Lots of dump offs to Aldridge and Kawhi.

pad300
05-05-2017, 07:56 PM
Looks like Pop did a 180. Lots of pressure on Murray. I'd be surprised if he doesn't come out pretty passive initially. Lots of dump offs to Aldridge and Kawhi.

I'd expect that to be the instructions, especially if Beverly is on him. But if they try Harden on the rook as the "easy" assignment, I'd be telling him to drive - it's Dejounte's strong point, and Harden gambles for steals. Some sympathy calls for Tony being out and you could hang a couple of fouls on Harden real early...

Southwest Texas Fan
05-05-2017, 07:58 PM
Whatever, he's starting

Trill Clinton
05-05-2017, 08:02 PM
spurstalk gm's wrong again

HI-FI
05-05-2017, 08:13 PM

:pop: I've got shit to do in a couple of weeks.
:lol pretty much

edit: nm, I'm an asshole, didn't read whole thread. Props to Pop.

I had a gut feeling the torch would be passed to Murray these playoffs. Sucks it happened this way but Murray will adapt.

blizz
That's why I said if he plays he will likely start. The reason I thought that is because he will find out a lot about him quickly and can yank him and be done with it if he's sucking. He will not see the closing minutes if it's close unless he's just played his ass off.

SpurPadre
Pop backpedaling on his own statements lol
I guess Becky or Ime talked him down from starting Manu.

Imagine if we still had Boylen? He'd be asking Pop to this day why we're starting that quiet man with cornrows.

SAGirl
05-05-2017, 08:17 PM
Imagine if we still had Boylen? He'd be asking Pop to this day why we're starting that quiet man with cornrows.
:lmao Boylen :bobo

Capt Bringdown
05-05-2017, 08:30 PM
What's the upside to dissing one of your players to the media?

It seems Pop's end game as his career drains away is to glorify himself as THE DECIDER.

pgardn
05-05-2017, 08:43 PM

Yeah sure.

Just like he did with Duncan and KL...

DMC
05-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Pop putting the rookie through the gauntlet, seeing what he has. Hopefully if the Spurs lose this game, Murray sees his game and realizes the importance of his role, and works on things in the off season. More likely He'll just survive out there with some wild unexpected moves and passes and Houston will just eventually beat us with shit-ball.