PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Report: ESPN was unhappy with Abbot and his Basketball approach

apalisoc_9
05-05-2017, 02:55 PM
For the unaware, Woj and his vertical team would be replacing ESPN head basketball editor Abbot and his team of In-depth writers. The truehoop and online content Team will still get paid the remaining of their contract unless they negotiate a buyout.

The general layoffs obviously had more to do with declining numbers but the approach people had towards the game was a huge factor in who gets canned.

Abbot and his team wanted to provide in depth analysis that focused on Advanced stats in conjuction with what is apparent.. So usually when they write a piece about an event erc..I might take a day or two. ESPN wanted yahoos appraoch of fast reporting.

They want tp engage with the average casual fans more. Felt like the truehoop guys was too slow.

Clipper Nation
05-05-2017, 03:00 PM
Translation: they didn't like the truthful analysis Abbott wrote about Kobe throughout his career.

apalisoc_9
05-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Looking more and more like ESPN is getting rid of in-depth analysis in general and 100% focusing on Quick Sell work.

Over or Under 3 Westbrook MVPs?

:lmao

ambchang
05-05-2017, 03:08 PM
What a shame, dumbing it down further for the general population again.

apalisoc_9
05-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Of course this report can be false, but the evidence is a mountain. It's huge. Because the guys they decided to get rid off and some of the pther basketball guys are proponet of In-depth writing.

If Lowe wasnt qs popular as he is now, he would be canned too.

I think ESPN is making a huge mistake here. While there's still mpre casual narrative idiots out there, these analytic style of reporting is gaining huge ground and is an upward trend.

People qre going to get tired of Kardashian level reporting.

apalisoc_9
05-05-2017, 03:12 PM
What a shame, dumbing it down further for the general population again.

Over or under 3 Westbrook MVPs?

apalisoc_9
05-05-2017, 03:14 PM
Also, there's a huge disconnect right now between ownership and Employees responsible for NBA reporting.

Apparently getting rid of Abbot and Stein was Huge since they were one of the two biggest NBA guys.

And they're layoffs has more to do with woj and his team coming over than the actual subscription issues.

Clipper Nation
05-05-2017, 03:16 PM
Looking more and more like ESPN is getting rid of in-depth analysis in general and 100% focusing on Quick Sell work.

Over or Under 3 Westbrook MVPs?

:lmao
Thankfully, ESPN isn't the whole media. If they were, Curry would win it every year.

ambchang
05-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Over or under 3 Westbrook MVPs?

I don't want to think about it, but I would say under. Even during the non-analytical days, Kobe aka Westbrook blueprint got only 1 MVP (1 too many, given Lamar Odom had a better ORtg AND Drtg, Pau absolutely annihilated Kobe in ORtg and is the same on DRtg, and had the higher WS/48. The only reason Pau didn't lead the lakers in almost all advanced stats that year is because he joined mid year).

dabom
05-05-2017, 04:08 PM
I can talk about numbers too. But when that's all you do, you're not really saying anything.

StrengthAndHonor
05-05-2017, 04:57 PM
Eh,it's inevitable and a necessary component to best utilize their resources the way I see it. Their current business model obviously isn't working anymore and they have to cater to their demographic while cutting costs. ESPN is entertainment first, always has been. Die hard sports fans are inclined to look elsewhere for better source materials anyway and there's plenty thanks to digital platform...

DMC
05-05-2017, 05:24 PM
ESPN bet the farm on that insider bullshit and made way too much content out of reach to anyone who wasn't paying some stupid fee to read plagiarized material. They'd feature the teaser then show the insider logo. You'd instead go read the same fucking story on another website.

baseline bum
05-05-2017, 06:18 PM
Today's ESPN is like today's CNN: get two or more jackasses just yelling at each other for 30 minutes. Shit is unwatchable outside of the actual games.

apalisoc_9
05-05-2017, 07:21 PM
Also for the unaware, WOJ and Abbot hate each other...

Actually a lot of the ESPN basketball guys hate woj.

:lol

cjw
05-05-2017, 07:41 PM
ESPN bet the farm on that insider bullshit and made way too much content out of reach to anyone who wasn't paying some stupid fee to read plagiarized material. They'd feature the teaser then show the insider logo. You'd instead go read the same fucking story on another website.

You can find Insider for like $2 a year and get the Magazine sent to your house for free. Not the worst expense as I can grab it and take it with me on flights (don't want to stare at a screen 24/7) or at the beach/pool.

But you're right about restricting too much content. ESPN realized that quality content doesn't drive viewers/eyeballs but controversial/loudmouth content does. It's an unfortunate reality that it's how all of large media is trending.

DMC
05-05-2017, 08:00 PM
You can find Insider for like $2 a year and get the Magazine sent to your house for free. Not the worst expense as I can grab it and take it with me on flights (don't want to stare at a screen 24/7) or at the beach/pool.

But you're right about restricting too much content. ESPN realized that quality content doesn't drive viewers/eyeballs but controversial/loudmouth content does. It's an unfortunate reality that it's how all of large media is trending.

That's 2 dollars more than it's worth.

I can read TimVP's shit for free here.

Mark Celibate
05-05-2017, 09:20 PM
Today's ESPN is like today's CNN: get two or more jackasses just yelling at each other for 30 minutes. Shit is unwatchable outside of the actual games.

Pretty much this.

I always like how there's some token Instagram whore host in the middle staring at these clowns when they're yelling nonsense like they're fucking Socrates or Aristotle.

Also, it seems like they have to have atleast one black guy talking jive in all of these shows.

adonis827
05-06-2017, 08:22 AM
Apparently, ESPN needed the cap space (to sign Woj)

lol not sure where I got that from

DAF86
05-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Also for the unaware, WOJ and Abbot hate each other...

Actually a lot of the ESPN basketball guys hate woj.

That's probably from jealousy that Woj always seem to find out about shit earlier than anybody, tbh.