PDA

View Full Version : No 4-downs for Aldridge please.

UNT Eagles 2016
05-05-2017, 03:52 PM
Spurs should strive for a goal of zero plays of this type. Aldridge is, for all practical purposes, a taller and somewhat better version of DeJuan Blair. He's great as a finisher at the rim after being set up, and he's a solid spot up jump shooter from the mid-range and good enough on defense.

But, like Blair, he should never be given the ball when there's a man guarding him. Never ever. That's a surefire turnover or horrible empty possession in any case.

The offense needs to run through Kawhi, Kawhi, Kawhi, like it's Duncan in 2003. I don't want to see any halfcourt possession where Kawhi doesn't touch the ball and isn't shooting, playmaking, or setting someone up. Kawhi needs to shoot a hell of a lot more, get to the free throw line etc... 16 FGA is simply unacceptable from your only star on the team who also happens to be a bona fide superstar.

Do NOT ever dump it to Aldridge with a man on him in any iso situation. Might as well be acquiescing to giving the Rockets the ball back with the same score on the board. Aldridge is no good when he's guarded. Run the offense through KAWHI.

Joseph Kony
05-05-2017, 04:08 PM
i dont think Pop reads ST

TheGreatYacht
05-05-2017, 04:28 PM
With Parker out, those mandatory LMA postups are going up....

debo
05-05-2017, 04:53 PM
They would be fine if he bothered working for position under the basket. He doesn't look visually injured though.

Chews
05-05-2017, 05:09 PM

I agree, let's just hope LMA goes off

Chews
05-05-2017, 05:10 PM
My favorite one was when Danny dribbled a couple times to his left, jumped, and just threw the ball in the air :lol Worst entry pass i've ever seen

TheGreatYacht
05-05-2017, 05:18 PM
My favorite one was when Danny dribbled a couple times to his left, jumped, and just threw the ball in the air :lol Worst entry pass i've ever seen
Nothing good can come out of prehistoric postups. You can't win games scoring a total of 80 points anymore like 90's teams, 2000's Spurs, and 2010's Grizzlies. Especially when Aldridge is the target, one of the worst passing bigs in the league.

Chews
05-05-2017, 05:22 PM
Nothing good can come out of prehistoric postups. You can't win games scoring a total of 80 points anymore like 90's teams, 2000's Spurs, and 2010's Grizzlies. Especially when Aldridge is the target, one of the worst passing bigs in the league.

With the way he is playing, I agree. If he gets on fire I wouldn't mind feeding him until he cooled off. Using them to get him going though won't lead to good results, and I feel that's what we have been doing.

And yea, his passes are always telegraphed and seems to me he doesn't ever really break the defense down before passing out. It's been just a waste of ~8 seconds of him pounding the rock, maybe pass out to re-post for no reason, then either a fade-away, spin to the inside, or we get to reset the offense with no time on the clock. Honestly I don't understand why teams double him because that's the best scenario for the Spurs, he doesn't have to do anything to get the defense rotating.

UNT Eagles 2016
05-05-2017, 05:28 PM

Why not Kawhi post ups? That's how we're actually going to score.

Nathan89
05-05-2017, 05:30 PM
Aldridge can't post up Anderson or Ariza. It's a fucking disaster when they try to post him up. Also I don't want his standing in the mid range area because he blows at shooting.

spurtech09
05-05-2017, 05:35 PM
I agree, let's just hope LMA goes off
agree...

Arcadian
05-05-2017, 05:47 PM
How else is he going to score? There seems to be a double-standard for him: he needs to shoot less, but he needs to score more. Well, which is it? If we never run isos for him, he'll give us 10 ppg at most. If you want him to increase his scoring output, he'll need to touch the ball a lot. Those are the options.