PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Adjustments for Game 4...

apalisoc_9
05-05-2017, 11:48 PM
The spurs perimter Guards were basically playing catchup while Gasol and Aldridge would hang around the rim to contest layups.

It worked great because it made floaters, layups significantly more difficult not to mention the players outisde of Harden and maybe Lou aren't comfortable shooting after a dribble.

But Pringles can make some adjustments to counter Gasol's presence in the paint...

If The Rockets Start Anderson at the 5 and play him whenever Gasol is on the floor..he takes out Gasol and on switches, no one is there to protect the rim.

Really worried about this adjustment...Any other Adjustment younexpect the rocketd to make?

Also, a team that strictly prohibits its players to take midrange shots can really screw their rhytem once teams start giving you the modrange.

TheGreatYacht
05-05-2017, 11:50 PM
There's nothing they can do. They're shooting 50 threes and flopping in the paint. Cute little gimmicky reg season team

Chinook
05-05-2017, 11:51 PM
If The Rockets Start Anderson and play him whenever Gasol is on the floor..he takes out Gasol and on switches, no one is there to protect the rim.

Anderson is already starting. The reason why the rest of what you said didn't work is because they won't run a 4/5 in order to get Pau on Ryan.

PopTheGOAT
05-05-2017, 11:53 PM
Gasol doesn't guard Anderson. Usually Aldridge or a wing

apalisoc_9
05-05-2017, 11:53 PM
Anderson is already starting. The reason why the rest of what you said didn't work is because they won't run a 4/5 in order to get Pau on Ryan.

Sorry..I meant Put Anderson at the 5 and add another penetrator.

apalisoc_9
05-05-2017, 11:55 PM
Like Increase Lous minutes.

Beverly-Harden-Lou-Ariza-Anderson

That can really create some open three pointers. It's a scary offensive lineup.

Chinook
05-05-2017, 11:55 PM

If they have five guys on the three-point line, that would fuck up their spacing. The adjustment would be to zone with four guys and drop one guy to protect the rim, because four guys can easily rotate to cover up the three-point line. Pau could stay back, and even on PnRs, there'd be someone nearby to help on Harden.

The closest thing we've seen to that would be the 2014 Heat. The Spurs were still very able to play big.

rastaspur
05-05-2017, 11:58 PM
Change the center court logo to a spurs logo, make rockets fans wear spurs gear and then convince ryan anderson it is a road game

itzsoweezee
05-06-2017, 12:00 AM

They could do that for a few minutes at a time, but that's about it.

Snaq O'Meal
05-06-2017, 12:03 AM
The Rockets' obvious adjustment will be to flop more, while their 6th to 8th men with whistles will intensify their efforts to the levels seen in Game 6 of the 2002 and 2012 WCF.

HarlemHeat37
05-06-2017, 12:07 AM
As some of us have been saying since the beginning of the series, Houston is just a hit or miss team with limited flexibility, tbh..if they make their 3s at a high rate, they'll beat the Spurs every time, but if they aren't, they won't beat the Spurs with anything else..

Anderson at the 5 gets killed on the boards, tbh..

Kuvai
05-06-2017, 12:09 AM
Lol.
stay grounded spursfans. Same story the past 2 years.. Refs will blow all the whistles in favour of Houston every game from 2moro..

poop
05-06-2017, 12:11 AM
Better replace D'Antoni with an actual playoffs coach, lmao..

ducks
05-06-2017, 12:13 AM
They need to make mid range jump shots

TheDoctor
05-06-2017, 12:17 AM
Gasol doesn't guard Anderson. Usually Aldridge or a wing

As with last game, Danny guarded him a bunch tonite.

HarlemHeat37
05-06-2017, 12:18 AM
Houston's formula is pretty straightforward, tbh..make their 3s and get to the line..Spurs begged them to shoot the mid-range Js and they refused, they'll never do it..

The alarming thing for the Rockets is that Harden has looked like garbage(compared to his usual self) for the past month..when he isn't living at the FT line, he's been mostly ineffective, including the OKC series where he shot terribly..even in tonight's game where he scored 40+, he didn't dominate, at all IMO..they have some streaky shooters that can cause havoc(Gordon and Chokin' Lou, in particular), but they're as much of a 1-man show as any team in the league..

NASpurs
05-06-2017, 12:19 AM
A leopard can't change its spots. It'll always be a three or driving it to the basket.

99 Problems
05-06-2017, 12:25 AM
We turned the ball over like shite
Ariza shot the 3 in the 1st half
we were like 1/10 from the 3 at one stage.
Harden caught guarding a big a couple of times? Makes me think they are 1 big short?? Do they play Harrell some spot minutes? Don't know.

Ron Swanson
05-06-2017, 12:29 AM
They went nuclear from 3 in game 1 and regressed to the mean the last two games. They're the old Dubs under Nellie.

Mr. Body
05-06-2017, 12:29 AM
I don't see what they can do. Out execute, but the offense puts the ball in Garden's hands the way Nash used to have it. When they can run it will, they're superb. When they get gummed up they have to grind. They can swap three point shooters and mix up big guys but the format will be the same.

james evans
05-06-2017, 12:32 AM
they can't adjust. Their whole game is based on layups, 3's, and flopping.

05-06-2017, 12:34 AM
I think he doesn't want to go small with Anderson at the five for rebounding reasons but it could help in short bursts.

They'll simply have to hit their shots, like Harlem said, they're a streaky team.

Spurs had a lot of turnovers, i'm sure Hou will look at that and put emphasis on getting out and running again like they did in game 1.

To pops credit i've noticed we haven't been switching bigs as much and leaving them on islands against harden which hurt us in game 1. Same with sticking to guys in the corner. I expect Lou and Harden to shoot more middies.

On paper we're the kryptonite to Hou's offense. They shoot threes and layups, no mid range, and we defend theees and layups, but give up mid range. Which is why teams like OKC, and LAC historically give us so much trouble.

DesignatedT
05-06-2017, 12:37 AM
They will run run run and shoot three three three. If they shoot well they might win if they shoot like the last two games they will lose. That's pretty much it.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-06-2017, 04:53 AM
Spurs are the best rebounding team in the playoffs, putting Ryan Anderson at the 5 would play right into the Spurs hands, unless they're unconscious from 3. But then if they're unconscious from 3 it wouldn't matter what else they do, or what the Spurs do for that matter. Also, the presence of Capela there gives them the lob option when a player is driving so the Spurs bigs have to respect that. If they take him away it'd be easier for the big to contest layups.

SpursIndonesia
05-06-2017, 12:15 PM

Your concern is very legit, but i can't imagine how Kawhi will feast attacking the paint against that kind of rim protection, lol. And Manu might be more playable too, not to mention Jonathon Simmons.

With Kawhi, Green, and Simmons, we might have enough wing players that can help inside when needed in that scenario.

gambit1990
05-06-2017, 12:28 PM
bring lube.

Clipper Nation
05-06-2017, 12:30 PM
The only adjustment I can think of is the Rockets somehow convincing Porker to try to pull a Willis Reed, tbh. That's their only chance.

SAGirl
05-06-2017, 01:27 PM
If Anderson isn't hot and he wasn't last night then it doesn't matter and you sacrifice rebounds and rim protection a lot. It goes back to streaky 3 pt shooting. I thought they also didn't capitalize on Spurs TO. Great transition D but there were kick outs to the open 3. They just missed shots.

LoneStarState'sPride
05-06-2017, 01:28 PM
bring lots of lube.

fify.

Oh, and cut the lights off when you leave....this'll be the last game of the season at the toyota center.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Houston's formula is pretty straightforward, tbh..make their 3s and get to the line..Spurs begged them to shoot the mid-range Js and they refused, they'll never do it..

The alarming thing for the Rockets is that Harden has looked like garbage(compared to his usual self) for the past month..when he isn't living at the FT line, he's been mostly ineffective, including the OKC series where he shot terribly..even in tonight's game where he scored 40+, he didn't dominate, at all IMO..they have some streaky shooters that can cause havoc(Gordon and Chokin' Lou, in particular), but they're as much of a 1-man show as any team in the league..

Do you think Harden may be playing injured? Even his 43 points the other night was good...but somehow not great. Hell, even Kawhi had more assists than he did.

cd98
05-06-2017, 02:14 PM

Sours would kill them on offensive boards and drive to the rim and score with abandon. Memphis had a great shooting big that could block shots. Houston doesn't. Kawhi would have a field day driving with no Capella.

GSH
05-06-2017, 02:40 PM
Do you think Harden may be playing injured? Even his 43 points the other night was good...but somehow not great. Hell, even Kawhi had more assists than he did.

I'm glad someone asked that question.

In the first RS game against the Spurs, Harden shot .474 overall and .200 from 3P, with 8 TO's.
In the second RS game, Harden shot .389 overall and .222 from 3P, with 7 TO's.
In the third RS game, Harden shot .385 overall, ad .091 from 3P. "Only" 3 TO's.
In the fourth RS game, Harden was hitting his shots, but still had 7 TO's and the Rockets lost the game.

So, no. I don't think Harden is any more injured than he was in those four regular season games against the Spurs.

xellos88330
05-06-2017, 04:11 PM

The passing lanes were getting cut off or the closeouts were ridiculously good. That is why his assist numbers were shit. His only option to get points on the board quickly was to lay it in. His passing was rendered mostly ineffective in generating quality shot attempts.

gambit1990
05-06-2017, 07:06 PM
i don't understand why there's so many on spurstalk... with so little to say.

dabom
05-06-2017, 07:10 PM
i don't understand why there's so many on spurstalk... with so little to say.

The Parker fluffers crying in fetal position in a corner.

sananspursfan21
05-06-2017, 08:04 PM
Change the center court logo to a spurs logo, make rockets fans wear spurs gear and then convince ryan anderson it is a road game

Dis :rollin

Amuseddaysleeper
05-06-2017, 08:34 PM

In the first RS game against the Spurs, Harden shot .474 overall and .200 from 3P, with 8 TO's.
In the fourth RS game, Harden was hitting his shots, but still had 7 TO's and the Rockets lost the game.

So, no. I don't think Harden is any more injured than he was in those four regular season games against the Spurs.

That's what I'm here for, GSH

:tu

tbdog
05-06-2017, 09:28 PM

Green is guarding Anderson.

Chinook
05-06-2017, 10:01 PM
Green is guarding Anderson.

What does that have to do with anything?

Snaq O'Meal
05-06-2017, 10:41 PM

Bin Harden looks "injured" because he flops in everything he does.

daslicer
05-06-2017, 11:45 PM

Harden is pulling a Kobe. Whenever he is sucking he acts like he's injured. That's pretty much what Kobe did his whole entire career.

BillMc
05-06-2017, 11:58 PM
There's nothing they can do. They're shooting 50 threes and flopping in the paint. Cute little gimmicky reg season team

Truth. D'Antoni's system has always been that way. Suns, Knicks, Lakers, Rockets, yawn... They're the hot coked-up stripper you're dating short term: looks great when balls are going in, blows your mind on any given night, but you know in your heart its all going nowhere.

BillMc
05-06-2017, 11:59 PM

This too

skulls138
05-07-2017, 12:36 AM
Bin Harden looks "injured" because he flops in everything he does.

tmtcsc
05-07-2017, 12:43 AM
They aren't going to adjust anything. They will just play harder, fight for the 50-50 balls and do what they do. Why wouldn't they? They can't change what they are now. They have a formula to beat the shit out of the Spurs but it means making their 3's....and we all know what happens when they do that. The Spurs improved their defense in games 2 and 3 but their offense was atrocious. Seriously, you turn the ball over that many times, you're getting your ass blown out most games. Houston just sucked more.

tmtcsc
05-07-2017, 12:50 AM
Truth. D'Antoni's system has always been that way. Suns, Knicks, Lakers, Rockets, yawn... They're the hot coked-up stripper you're dating short term: looks great when balls are going in, blows your mind on any given night, but you know in your heart its all going nowhere.

Yes, yes. We've all been there, player. Much respeck.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/20140421/5021581/ali-g-o.gif

BillMc
05-07-2017, 12:58 AM
Yes, yes. We've all been there, player. Much respeck.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/20140421/5021581/ali-g-o.gif
:lol

tmtcsc
05-07-2017, 01:15 AM

spurs10
05-07-2017, 01:57 AM
Truth. D'Antoni's system has always been that way. Suns, Knicks, Lakers, Rockets, yawn... They're the hot coked-up stripper you're dating short term: looks great when balls are going in, blows your mind on any given night, but you know in your heart its all going nowhere. Bill this a wonderful analogy! Dead on. I'm thinking it's also a pretty literal description of Taliban's love life in the real world! :jekka

BillMc
05-07-2017, 02:02 AM
Bill this a wonderful analogy! Dead on. I'm thinking it's also a pretty literal description of Taliban's love life in the real world! :jekka
:lol:toast

apalisoc_9
05-07-2017, 10:08 PM
Boy was I right.

Ryan Anderson at 5 open up so much opportunities on the drive.

Spurminator
05-07-2017, 10:08 PM
Adjustment: Make a bunch of 3's.

Success.

apalisoc_9
05-07-2017, 10:10 PM
Adjustment: Make a bunch of 3's.

Success.

They abused the paint with Anderson at the 5. That's how they got a lot of easy points in the first. Then they just could not miss in the second half.

YGWHI
05-07-2017, 11:05 PM
Boy was I right.

Ryan Anderson at 5 open up so much opportunities on the drive.

Starting Gordon in the 3rd quarter made the difference. The Spurs got killed in those minutes.

SAGirl
05-08-2017, 10:54 AM
If Anderson isn't hot and he wasn't last night then it doesn't matter and you sacrifice rebounds and rim protection a lot. It goes back to streaky 3 pt shooting. I thought they also didn't capitalize on Spurs TO. Great transition D but there were kick outs to the open 3. They just missed shots.
This is basically what it came down to. Game 3 missed shots, game 4 Houston made shots, the same they missed 2 games prior.

bklynspursfan
05-08-2017, 11:19 AM
This is basically what it came down to. Game 3 missed shots, game 4 Houston made shots, the same they missed 2 games prior.

Pretty much; Plus, like Game 1, we couldn't hit anything. If they're on, we have to be able to hit shots too. And in our 2 losses, that hasn't been the case.