PDA

View Full Version : Blazers give playoff checks to support staff

SPURt
05-07-2017, 08:54 AM
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/05/06/damian-lillard-portland-trail-blazers-playoff-checks

Basically it says the Blazers gave their playoff checks to the support staff but "past leadership" didn't. I have two questions:

1. Are they firing shots at LMA?

2. They make this sound like it's common around the league based on the Chris Kaman note. Do the Spurs do this?

weebo
05-07-2017, 09:43 AM
Who cares? It's their money. They can do whatever they want with it.

DMC
05-07-2017, 10:26 AM
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/05/06/damian-lillard-portland-trail-blazers-playoff-checks

Basically it says the Blazers gave their playoff checks to the support staff but "past leadership" didn't. I have two questions:

1. Are they firing shots at LMA?

2. They make this sound like it's common around the league based on the Chris Kaman note. Do the Spurs do this?

When was LMA "past leadership"? What stops players from donating to staff at any point in their careers? What stops the front office from compensating staff better?

It's just a ploy. Amazing it gets publicity.

tbear280
05-07-2017, 10:58 AM
I read an article a few years back that said the spurs players are the only team in the NBA to tip ball boys in the NBA. Not just at home but on the road also. With that being said I doubt the spurs organization treats any of its employees that way.

SPURt
05-07-2017, 11:20 AM
When was LMA "past leadership"? What stops players from donating to staff at any point in their careers? What stops the front office from compensating staff better?

It's just a ploy. Amazing it gets publicity.
I agree, seems petty. I can't think of any player that was "leading" Portland more than LMA in Lillard's early years. It sounds like more sour grapes from Portland over LMA. CJ McCollum seems to support LMA in all the tv time he's getting. All your questions are what feels wrong here, why should the players be compensating staff further?

r0drig0lac
05-07-2017, 11:48 AM
I doubt this has anything to do with LMA.

DMC
05-07-2017, 11:50 AM
I agree, seems petty. I can't think of any player that was "leading" Portland more than LMA in Lillard's early years. It sounds like more sour grapes from Portland over LMA. CJ McCollum seems to support LMA in all the tv time he's getting. All your questions are what feels wrong here, why should the players be compensating staff further?

I don't care why they do it. If your team captain needs to pressure the guys into giving money away, then they aren't really that charitable. I'm sure every player has family members that could use that money, or they could donate it to a local shelter for the homeless, or they could find a tear-jerker storyline in Portland and show up there with a sum of money for the victim or family of the victim. There's an endless number of more worthy recipients of charity than NBA franchise staff.

But none of that is the point. The point is that good intentions can seem petty when they are advertised by the same entity that's doing the giving. Imagine helping a relative or co-worker then bringing it up at the annual company mixer, multiple times.

"We gave our bonus to Bob, who's family's home was destroyed by a tornado... there's Bob. Hey Bob, how do you like that money we all gave you? You can bet your ass no other company would coerce their employees to do that".

If Kaman wants to feel shitty about something, it should be because he's getting paid for being useless. He should give all his money to the staff.

MarCowMar
05-07-2017, 05:51 PM
Pretty shitty of team owners to pay their employees so little that players feel guilted into covering for them.

Splits
05-07-2017, 06:02 PM
lol tlongII (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=158) living in a liberal bastion but a white as fuck Trumpster voter lol