PDA

View Full Version : Article: Understanding Parker's Quad Injury and The Rough Road To Recovery

NASpurs
05-07-2017, 11:42 AM
https://www.3cbperformance.com/blog/2017/5/6/tony-parkers-quad-tendon-a-rough-road

Pretty good article if you want to read up and understand TP's injury.

The guy who wrote the article is also on reddit taking questions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/69rhby/understanding_tony_parkers_quad_tendon_injury_and/

lefty20
05-07-2017, 11:50 AM
Spray some deer antler velvet on that quad and he'll be ready for the Finals, ez.

DMC
05-07-2017, 11:53 AM
Put some tussin on it, let it soak in.

NASpurs
05-07-2017, 11:55 AM
Some Vicks Vapor Rub and drink some Sunny D, he'll be back by game five.

kaji157
05-07-2017, 12:08 PM
If Tony misses the entire 17-18 season, can the spurs stretch him and resign him for the 18-19 season?
Or would they have any restriction?

pookenstein
05-07-2017, 12:09 PM
Let some of his teammates wifes ride on his knee and rub some pussyjuice on it and he should be fine by Game1 of the WCF.

Laughing Gravy
05-07-2017, 12:10 PM
Dude is 100% done. Lets move on.

xellos88330
05-07-2017, 12:46 PM
STEM CELLS!!

LOL!!!

TheRemix
05-07-2017, 01:06 PM

This, I love tony but it's time for him to call it a career. Don't want to see him force a comeback and injure himself again. He's got nothing else to prove..

Russ
05-07-2017, 01:18 PM

He'll play 2-3 more years. He'll want to go out on his own terms and he will.

TP hasn't hit his last big shot as a Spur.

bklynspursfan
05-07-2017, 01:29 PM

+1

RD2191
05-07-2017, 01:32 PM

Fuck no, he's done. He was saving what little he had for the playoffs and his body failed him, that's all she wrote.

cd021
05-07-2017, 02:36 PM
I keep getting different time tables. I've heard 6-8 months but I've also seen as long as 8+ months.

I would expect him to play another year and a half before retiring. Spurs sign him to a cheap 1 year deal after next season to give him a chance to go out on his own terms.

GSH
05-07-2017, 02:49 PM
Put some tussin on it, let it soak in.

Heh. I saw him do that routine live. "Rub some Tussin own it!" Classic.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/n0Go6Vw3o04/hqdefault.jpg

benefactor
05-07-2017, 03:06 PM
He'll retire.

daslicer
05-07-2017, 03:10 PM
Fuck no, he's done. He was saving what little he had for the playoffs and his body failed him, that's all she wrote.

This. Parker was definitely pulling an Horry during these playoffs. He coasted for the whole entire season hoping to save up all his energy for the playoffs. It almost worked until that injury happened. Parker at his age is finished. I hope this does not turn into a Kobe situation and he tries to play a few more years.

GSH
05-07-2017, 03:23 PM

I didn't think there was any way a big man like Dejuan Blair could pound up and down a basketball court without either ACL. But it's pretty safe to say that the odds are against him, at his age.

Tendons are largely formed of collagen, which is stretchy. Like a big bundle of teeny rubber bands. When they get stressed, some of the rubber bands develop little microscopic fissures. Given enough rest, the body will replace the collagen, and re-build the tendon. But - if they can't get enough rest, the body will put sort of a "patch" on the damaged tissue, and instead of collagen it will make a sort of scar tissue. The scar tissue isn't stretchy, like collagen. That area is much more subject to tearing than a normal, stretchy portion of the tendon. When that happens, it's known as tendinosis, and it is a permanent condition.

There is a very good chance that Tony's injury was in one of those spots. The article mentions that quad tendon's are thick and durable, and that tears are relatively rare. Stress injury (improperly healed micro-fissures) make it a lot more likely. I don't know if playing summer ball all those years, and not giving his body a chance to heal contributed to the injury, but there's a good chance of it. These guys really need six weeks straight away from the court in the offseason, for just that reason. That's about how long it takes for the body to fully repair damaged tendons properly replace the collagen.

If Tony's quad tendon ruptured as a result of long-term stress injury, it's a lot less likely that he'll be back. If it was just a fluke tear? He might make a comeback. Dejuan Blair played with no ACL's. The big question in my mind is if he will want to return badly enough to do the kind of rehab he's going to need. It would be awfully tempting to just hang them up.

DPG21920
05-07-2017, 04:05 PM
He'll retire.

Doubtful my man. Just because of the money aspect.

lefty
05-07-2017, 04:07 PM
Take your time TP.

Take your time

spurraider21
05-07-2017, 04:25 PM
Just needs to talk to serge ibakas trainer

SAGirl
05-07-2017, 05:21 PM
This. Parker was definitely pulling an Horry during these playoffs. He coasted for the whole entire season hoping to save up all his energy for the playoffs. It almost worked until that injury happened. Parker at his age is finished. I hope this does not turn into a Kobe situation and he tries to play a few more years.
That's really what I am afraid of. There is no holding back Father Time once the body starts to break down like this.

ErnestLynch
05-07-2017, 06:57 PM
Spray some deer antler velvet on that quad and he'll be ready for the Finals, ez.

Then of course, you can always just rub some dirt on it. Parker is done. Career over. Hey man, he had to be carried off the court on his last play in the NBA. Not a bad way to go out.

Russ
05-07-2017, 07:29 PM
The big question in my mind is if he will want to return badly enough to do the kind of rehab he's going to need. It would be awfully tempting to just hang them up.

I think Tony will work like hell to get back -- he's a warrior and, just as importantly, a fast healer.

He was tough enough to blaze his own trail as the first great French basketball player. He didn't listen to what "wasn't possible" then and probably won't now.

He loves the life he has. He's not going to give it up without a fight.

ducks
05-07-2017, 07:31 PM
Go to France get well donkeys have killed Heath care in usa

Truth4sale$
05-07-2017, 07:56 PM
Tony will be back, but the torch as been passed much soon rather than later. Murray will start and grow into the position from game 3 and moving forward. Parker was always supposed to be the last of the big 3, and modern medicine will help him heal. He already was not the player he once was, but going forward he will be a hellava 8th man bench player.

tholdren
05-07-2017, 08:40 PM
he will have to lose weight