PDA

View Full Version : Game 5 adjustment..

apalisoc_9
05-07-2017, 10:23 PM
- Just rotate around Simmons-Manu-Mills-Leonard-Green
- Limit Murray's minute as much as possible. His Game managment is a disaster.
- Less Mills decision making.
- Less 4 downs more high-low action between Aldridge and Pau.

Force Aldridge to shoot inside the paint. You do that with high-lows. If you give him the ball in the post, he's going to take a 16 foot jumper even against mismatches and its lead to some ugly ass transition points

- Tell Pop Leonard is 25.
- Tell Pop Green is not a rookie

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2017, 10:24 PM
Guard the paint, holy shit was the interior D an embarrassment. On the other end the Spurs need to attack the paint more, Rockets have no elite shot blockers.

05-07-2017, 10:25 PM
Pop won't make any adjustments until we're down 3-2 and they're up 15.

ace3g
05-07-2017, 10:26 PM
Pop has to find a way to counter any possibility of LA/Gasol switch on Harden for rest of series..

Find minutes of Bertans/Dedmon.

Robz4000
05-07-2017, 10:27 PM
-Don't play LMA/Gasol together if they give Houston wide-open threes.
-Don't even play Lee period.
-Play Green/Simmons/Leonard together more often while benching Mills if he isn't hitting.
-Give Dedmon some run.
-Let Harden jack up threes, contested or not.

NASpurs
05-07-2017, 10:28 PM
Pop has to find a way to counter any possibility of LA/Gasol switch on Harden for rest of series..

Find minutes of Bertans/Dedmon.

Also known as the Gregg Poopovich Game Six Panic Button especially when it was obvious either of those two should had been playing from the start (or both).

ace3g
05-07-2017, 10:30 PM
Pop needs to find a shooter(s) this is in rhythm early on.

duncan2k5
05-07-2017, 10:31 PM
Go under Harden screen...NEVER switch the big onto Harden...He is shooting bad from 3...I'll live with him chucking from there ball game...

Dont guard harden with anyone but kawhi....

Have kawhi control the ball everytime on offense...This is do or die time

ElNono
The biggest adjustment is stop with the shitty turnovers and free offense for them, LMA has to show up, and hope they don't get hot from 3 (as Harlem said)...

Horse
Pretty obvious lee has to sit this series. I'm still fully confident a focused Spurs team won't lose to these faggots.

cd98
05-07-2017, 10:40 PM
Spurs shot too poorly. The more they make, the less Houston can run and get early offense.

objective
05-07-2017, 10:46 PM
It's a big mistake to have lineups without at least one of Kawhi, Aldridge or Pau.

It happened in game 4 and was terrible. It's a side effect of starting Pau while having to rest Kawhi at the end of the first in order to bring him in to start the second.

It was Manu trying to create as the sole ball handler and playmaker, something he can't remotely do anymore, he's finished with those days. Add Mills and Lee to that mix and there's just nothing going on.

spurtech09
05-07-2017, 10:48 PM
Start LMA/Dedmon-Murray-KL-Danny Green

jag
05-07-2017, 10:49 PM
The biggest adjustment is stop with the shitty turnovers and free offense for them, LMA has to show up, and hope they don't get hot from 3 (as Harlem said)...

:lol

lilbthebasedgod
Not throw the game in the third quarter

noles1983
Not playing Lee and Anderson. 2 useless fucks on the court at the same time is no bueno.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-07-2017, 10:50 PM
Guard the paint, holy shit was the interior D an embarrassment. On the other end the Spurs need to attack the paint more, Rockets have no elite shot blockers.

Lee can't. Dedmon needs to take his spot in the rotation.

GSH
05-07-2017, 10:54 PM
Don't suck.

ElNono
05-07-2017, 10:56 PM
:lol

it's true though... they have a high variance offense from game to game...

BillMc
05-07-2017, 10:59 PM
Spurs shot too poorly. The more they make, the less Houston can run and get early offense.
Yep.

The best defense against Rockets (and Golden State for that matter) is a made basket on offense.

DarrinS
05-07-2017, 11:00 PM
Minimize switches -- especially LMA on BeardFag. Make them take midrange jumpers. Play Dedmon.

jag
it's true though... they have a high variance offense from game to game...

I agree... I just didn't notice Harlem in the thread, tbh

Arcadian
Start Dedmon like we did for most of the season?

Horse
We'll be fine. Unfortunately we need to get beat down to take games serious.

rasuo214
05-07-2017, 11:01 PM
More small ball and cut the turnovers.

DarrinS
05-07-2017, 11:01 PM
David Lee -- DNP

ElNono
05-07-2017, 11:04 PM
I agree... I just didn't notice Harlem in the thread, tbh

He mentioned it on another thread before the series started (or after game 2)

gameFACE
05-07-2017, 11:09 PM
Spurs passing isn't crisp. They're very lazy. The Rockets have forced so many TO's it's ridiculous. Clean it up.

Budkin
05-07-2017, 11:12 PM
The beautiful game is dead and gone

YGWHI
05-07-2017, 11:14 PM
It's a big mistake to have lineups without Kawhi, Aldridge or Pau.

It happened in game 4 and was terrible.

Not sure about Pau. But Pop kept Kawhi and LMA, both on the bench many minutes to start the 2nd and 4th quarters of OKC series..It didn't look well

So he already knows that...But it's Pop. He has a plan and wont change his mind.

midnightpulp
05-07-2017, 11:31 PM
In the last adjustment thread, I said there's nothing the Spurs can really do to "adjust." Rockets made 19 of 43 from downtown tonight. When they're shooting like that, they're almost unbeatable.

The "adjustment" is to just keep keep challenging their shots and hope they miss, which they are more than capable of. That's it.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-07-2017, 11:37 PM
In the last adjustment thread, I said there's nothing the Spurs can really do to "adjust." Rockets made 19 of 43 from downtown tonight. When they're shooting like that, they're almost unbeatable.

The "adjustment" is to just keep keep challenging their shots and hope they miss, which they are more than capable of. That's it.

In game 3 the Spurs were able to hold the Rockets to 22 three point attempts. Huge difference from tonight.

05-08-2017, 01:04 AM
Seems we went away from what worked in game three.

Stop switching bigs onto Harden, stick to shooters, especially in the corner, etc etc

Rockets are 1-5 when Harden has 6 assists or less, he had 5 in game three. We can't win with Eric Gordon, Lou Will, and Co going off.

Too many times this series Harden has been in the game, and BOTH Kawhi and Danny are on the bench. Does not make sense. If Harden is out there, Kawhi should be out there.

Hou is going small the rest of the way, and unfortunately, I don't think we can expect Pop to go small unless we lose game 5. Spurs will have to dominate the offensive glass.

SAGirl
05-08-2017, 01:15 AM
It's a big mistake to have lineups without at least one of Kawhi, Aldridge or Pau.

It happened in game 4 and was terrible. It's a side effect of starting Pau while having to rest Kawhi at the end of the first in order to bring him in to start the second.

It was Manu trying to create as the sole ball handler and playmaker, something he can't remotely do anymore, he's finished with those days. Add Mills and Lee to that mix and there's just nothing going on.
Good thoughts.

I think Pop has asked Simmons to be aggressive and compensate and he's played well but the fallout of lineup changes is all over. Spurs losing Tony and he was the team's second leading scorer and playmaker (and he was at times playing with the bench) and sadly IMO Dedmon becoming unplayable and falling out of the rotation has further altered things. As you said the bench is depleted a bit and Manu has looked just done most of the time and Lee can't do anything on either end. He's neither a true center/shotblocker nor is he scoring or providing spacing in the bench. I would play Davis instead and see what happens but Pop would need to bench Lee and he doesn't want to go there.

spurs10
05-08-2017, 01:18 AM
Make free throws, stop shooting fadeaway jumpers on guys smaller than you (although LMA got two offensive fouls in a row which hopefully is home cooking), dominant on the boards, get back on defense, and don't let them akaGordon) shoot a 3 every time he touches the #%<ing ball! :bang

I need to to take my pills now....:dizzy

spurtech09
05-08-2017, 01:22 AM
Start Dedmon like we did for most of the season?

spurtech09
05-08-2017, 01:23 AM
We'll be fine. Unfortunately we need to get beat down to take games serious.

apalisoc_9
05-08-2017, 01:29 AM
Seems we went away from what worked in game three.

Stop switching bigs onto Harden, stick to shooters, especially in the corner, etc etc

Rockets are 1-5 when Harden has 6 assists or less, he had 5 in game three. We can't win with Eric Gordon, Lou Will, and Co going off.

Too many times this series Harden has been in the game, and BOTH Kawhi and Danny are on the bench. Does not make sense. If Harden is out there, Kawhi should be out there.

Hou is going small the rest of the way, and unfortunately, I don't think we can expect Pop to go small unless we lose game 5. Spurs will have to dominate the offensive glass.

Needs to stop treating Green like a rookie.

99 Problems
05-08-2017, 02:35 AM
Having Kawhi on the crt for 40+ minutes would be a good start.

SAGirl
05-08-2017, 02:37 AM
Bench Lee

BillMc
05-08-2017, 02:39 AM
Make free throws, stop shooting fadeaway jumpers on guys smaller than you (although LMA got two offensive fouls in a row which hopefully is home cooking), dominant on the boards, get back on defense, and don't let them akaGordon) shoot a 3 every time he touches the #%<ing ball! :bang

I need to to take my pills now....:dizzy

:toast

05-08-2017, 03:51 AM
Needs to stop treating Green like a rookie.:pop: "danny played too well last game, had to remind him who he is (my bitch)"

szkorhetz
05-08-2017, 05:01 AM
Either Gasol or LMA should be on the floor for the whole game. I mean, David Lee is a non-factor, and the fourth quarter was all about houston getting easy layups.

The third quarter rotation was a piece of shit, Poop sticked with the same lineup, even though they went on a 17-4 run, and that made Gasol and LMA completely gassed.

SPURt
05-08-2017, 05:10 AM

This. A huge amount of threes the Rockets made would be considered bad shots. I can also think of several mid ranged contested shots that fell for the Rockets. On the other hand, the Spurs missed a ton of wide open looks. Everything that could've gone right for the Rockets did minus the Nene injury.

What's worse, should the Spurs win this series, the Warriors are going to be the same exact type of game but with more shots falling. Simmons looked good at the end when the game was lost but missed crucial shots when the game was tight. Kawhi didn't get enough touches and was off when he did. Danny was awful on offense too. I don't think the Spurs learned anything that game other than Bev's grand father's ghost is no Spurs fan.

szkorhetz
05-08-2017, 05:15 AM
Remove Lee from the rotation and give all his minutes to Dedmon, TBH.

ceperez
05-08-2017, 06:03 AM
Pop looks like he deliberately set himself to lose this game.

He's not going to play the guys who have length and speed ( dedmon and bertans ).

Look at Houston, their starting center is like just a couple year (same as KA) in the league. But look how effective he is given his length and speed.

ceperez
05-08-2017, 06:04 AM
Another problem is you can see that Spurs players are afraid to shoot. Rockets players, there is never a bad shot!

ceperez
05-08-2017, 06:06 AM
This. A huge amount of threes the Rockets made would be considered bad shots. I can also think of several mid ranged contested shots that fell for the Rockets. On the other hand, the Spurs missed a ton of wide open looks. Everything that could've gone right for the Rockets did minus the Nene injury.

What's worse, should the Spurs win this series, the Warriors are going to be the same exact type of game but with more shots falling. Simmons looked good at the end when the game was lost but missed crucial shots when the game was tight. Kawhi didn't get enough touches and was off when he did. Danny was awful on offense too. I don't think the Spurs learned anything that game other than Bev's grand father's ghost is no Spurs fan.

The Spurs setup doesn't look its designed to succeed. Everyone always looks tentative in taking their shots. Spurs play like "not to make mistakes", while Rockets play like "nothing to lose". It is a bad mindset.

SPURt
05-08-2017, 07:00 AM
The Spurs setup doesn't look its designed to succeed. Everyone always looks tentative in taking their shots. Spurs play like "not to make mistakes", while Rockets play like "nothing to lose". It is a bad mindset.
Totally agree, there was a possession where Pau had the ball at the three point line with all the time and space in the world and didn't even look to shoot. Pau was knocking that shot down in the RS and he won't even look at the basket now. That fear of missing has spread through the locker room like AIDS at a 1980's truck stop just outside of San Francisco.

UZER
05-08-2017, 07:15 AM
Another problem is you can see that Spurs players are afraid to shoot. Rockets players, there is never a bad shot!

This is such and underrated truth bomb. I've said the same thing to some buddies.

Spurs players think twice before shooting, even if they're wide open, because they have to worry "is this the best shot? Should I be looking for a cutter? How many seconds are on the shot clock? How many shots have I already missed tonight?"

There is no such thing as a bad shot (from 3) for the Rockets. It's completely pressure free chuck horrible 3s because that's their game plan. There is a freedom they are allowed to play without always looking over their shoulder for fear of getting yanked. It's easier to make those shots.

r0drig0lac
05-08-2017, 08:04 AM
David Lee -- DNP

GSH
05-08-2017, 08:51 AM
This is such and underrated truth bomb. I've said the same thing to some buddies.

Spurs players think twice before shooting, even if they're wide open, because they have to worry "is this the best shot? Should I be looking for a cutter? How many seconds are on the shot clock? How many shots have I already missed tonight?"

There is no such thing as a bad shot (from 3) for the Rockets. It's completely pressure free chuck horrible 3s because that's their game plan. There is a freedom they are allowed to play without always looking over their shoulder for fear of getting yanked. It's easier to make those shots.

One of the ways to make them think before shooting those long 3's is to punish the shit out of them every time they miss one. Shoot a bad 3 against some teams and they'll snag the rebound and run it back down your throat for an easy layup. It's automatic for them to get out and run. Most of the time the Spurs bring it up slowly and get the Rockets' defense time to set up.

So, okay... Pop's strategy is to slow the pace. But the Spurs were walking the ball up the court, getting their offense set with 15 seconds left, and THEN taking shots with 12 seconds left. The worst of both worlds.

Aldridge guarding Harden on the perimeter is a recipe for a loss. Stop it. Hedge and recover. Go under and take your chances on Harden shooting the 3? I just know I don't want to have to look at LMA out there cringing in front of the Beard.

The Spurs have been setting up a wall when one of the Rockets heads into the paint. Last night I kept seeing two guys set up inside the freaking restricted circle. Brilliant. But while I'm on that subject - Bertans has been a very good rim defender. The Rockets have been getting a LOT of their points near the rim. Does anyone else see some possible synergy there? And as a bonus, Bertans just might make a few 3's and bend the Rockets' defense a little.

turkish spurs fan
05-08-2017, 09:06 AM
admin pls solve my problem. it has been 1.5 years. i can't see who mentioned about me.

https://i.hizliresim.com/vbB7zO.png

Amuseddaysleeper
05-08-2017, 09:15 AM
One of the ways to make them think before shooting those long 3's is to punish the shit out of them every time they miss one. Shoot a bad 3 against some teams and they'll snag the rebound and run it back down your throat for an easy layup. It's automatic for them to get out and run. The Spurs gave up way too many of those rebounds to the Rockets. Most of the time the Spurs bring it up slowly and get the Rockets' defense time to set up.

So, okay... Pop's strategy is to slow the pace. But the Spurs were walking the ball up the court, getting their offense set with 15 seconds left, and THEN taking shots with 12 seconds left. The worst of both worlds.

Aldridge guarding Harden on the perimeter is a recipe for a loss. Stop it. Hedge and recover. Go under and take your chances on Harden shooting the 3? I just know I don't want to have to look at LMA out there cringing in front of the Beard.

The Spurs have been setting up a wall when one of the Rockets heads into the paint. Last night I kept seeing two guys set up inside the freaking restricted circle. Brilliant. But while I'm on that subject - Bertans has been a very good rim defender. The Rockets have been getting a LOT of their points near the rim. Does anyone else see some possible synergy there? And as a bonus, Bertans just might make a few 3's and bend the Rockets' defense a little.

It's jarring how sound the Spurs game plan was in Game 3 and how they did the exact opposite in Game 4. The defense was a joke with the layup drill but what sucked just as much was the fact that the Spurs looked so hesitant whereas in Game 3 they were letting it fly. Pop must have said something stupid in between games 3 and 4 because whatever was working before they completely abandoned it.

Brazil
05-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Find a miraculous treatment for Parker's quad tbh

Big Empty
05-08-2017, 10:06 AM
I start Forbes and Bertans. Bring Patty Manu and Gasol off the bench. We need scoring.

coachmac87
05-08-2017, 10:06 AM
I may be waaaay off here but it's an idea..

But I'd start Simmons or Patty at point and get Bertans the minutes over Murray..

I'd like the kid to get experience but he's just not ready and I feel he's wasting minutes for someone who could be productive

SAGirl
05-08-2017, 10:53 AM
I may be waaaay off here but it's an idea..

But I'd start Simmons or Patty at point and get Bertans the minutes over Murray..

I'd like the kid to get experience but he's just not ready and I feel he's wasting minutes for someone who could be productive
No they don't have enough ball handling as it is. Spurs need Murray to play.

polandprzem
05-08-2017, 11:02 AM
It's like the Spurs played pretty poorly. Punishing Rox inside must occur more. I mean - Pau when match vs Harden needs to kill the beard there every single time. And Spurs must be more alert when rox double Leo. he needs to get rid of the ball quick or make quick move and split the defenders.
Got to do better job moving the ball and for sakes I know Aldridge was a killer from mid range but this series we need him post up more and make quicker decissions.

Defense was bad - we did not stop the ball and still hesitate with stategy against beard. If we want trap we frickin trap. All those maybe he will do this or that is not good. We need to force him one way and then live with consequences of it and be prepared. And I do not like this kinda 'my hands up' defense as well. You have your hands up and you are closer you will not move your feet quick enough and Harden will use it to drive.

coachmac87
05-08-2017, 11:06 AM
No they don't have enough ball handling as it is. Spurs need Murray to play.

Spurs need all the players they can get to make impacts..that's the most difficult thing to over come when you lose a significant rotation player...

I just don't know if Murray can truly make an impact in this series or postseason against possibly GSW etc. Simmons even though inconsistent actually has moments where he impacts games and his strengths are similar to Murray which is attack the paint and make the defense collapse..

Bertans hopefully cracks the rotation too

SAGirl
05-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Spurs need all the players they can get to make impacts..that's the most difficult thing to over come when you lose a significant rotation player...

I just don't know if Murray can truly make an impact in this series or postseason against possibly GSW etc. Simmons even though inconsistent actually has moments where he impacts games and his strengths are similar to Murray which is attack the paint and make the defense collapse..

Bertans hopefully cracks the rotation too
He may but not at Murrays expense. You bench Lee and Anderson and see what he has, but Murray needs to play. Bertans isn't going to guard in the perimeter any of their quick guards etc. Guys need to realize he's a big and stop with the fantasy basketball.

bklynspursfan
05-08-2017, 11:16 AM
It'll be interesting to see the adjustment when Anderson is in at the 5.

UZER
05-08-2017, 11:19 AM
One of the ways to make them think before shooting those long 3's is to punish the shit out of them every time they miss one. Shoot a bad 3 against some teams and they'll snag the rebound and run it back down your throat for an easy layup. It's automatic for them to get out and run. Most of the time the Spurs bring it up slowly and get the Rockets' defense time to set up.

I posted this about GSW awhile back but it applies to Houston too...

Stay home in the shooters at the 3 point line! Over play three point line to chase guys off of it, but don't help on drives. If they score two, fine. You can stay in that kind of game if you slow the pace down.

When you help, the defense starts scrambling and chasing and you still end up giving up a 3 at some point in the defensive chain reaction. Why tire your guys out? Why let them feel demoralized?

When the bigs get switched, you immediately go out to pressure and overplay them to force the drive. If someone is standing in the low lost area, you can help, but don't help off of guys at the 3pt line.

This isn't the traditional scheme defense where you funnel guys to the helping bigs and collapse the paint. This is the new NBA and when you're dealing with team like Houston and GSW can hit 25 threes in their sleep, you have to adjust you defensive strategy accordingly. Threes are such back breakers and momentum killers or generators. They get the crowd going too.

It's ballsy to give up twos, and it goes against everything you've been taught, but you are still being successful in your​ strategy if you don't allow the 3s., and slow the pace down. It's not guaranteed to work, but it's a war of attrition when you players Houston, and especially GS.

UZER
05-08-2017, 11:23 AM
The other strategy is you let harden, or curry, get whatever the hell the want and let them beat you by themselves, and stay home on everyone else.

tmtcsc
05-08-2017, 11:33 AM
The beautiful game is dead and gone

Yep. The spacing is gone, the passing is gone, making defenses chase the ball is gone. Its not plodding, predictable and at the mercy of Kawhi Leonard. WTF did they have to change it? Did the Spurs' talent drop that much?

Indazone
05-08-2017, 11:55 AM
The talent hasn't changed, the game has. Now you're facing Moreyball. The game is designed for shooting three's and penetrating to get a foul and two points at the foul line without any time coming off the clock.

coachmac87
05-08-2017, 12:20 PM
Yep. The spacing is gone, the passing is gone, making defenses chase the ball is gone. Its not plodding, predictable and at the mercy of Kawhi Leonard. WTF did they have to change it? Did the Spurs' talent drop that much?

People forget the "Beautiful Game" was due to the Spurs not having a dominant scorer or someone who can consistent drop 20ppg..

Spurs got exposed in 15' series against LAC when Parker was "hurt", Kawhi wasn't "ready" to be the leader, Tiago was hurt and Duncan arguably was our best player. Spurs knew they couldn't sign all the effective role players but also knew they needed a consistent scorer to help Kawhi..

So instead of trying to replace a couple role players they swung for the fence in LMA and got that "dominant" scorer. The only problem is Kawhi took a HUGE leap in his game and became a dominant scorer...so now the Spurs had TWO scorers with limited playmaking. I honestly believe if PATFO knew Kawhi would become an MVP candidate they probably would've went the role player route in the offseason instead of signing LMA.

Spurs have been establishing a new style of play for almost two years..and the foundation pieces (Duncan, Manu, Parker) fell apart due to age. I also don't think it's a coincidence that ONLY Kawhi has thrived in this "New System" every player has declined even the one you invested so much in (LMA).

NameLess Scrub
05-08-2017, 12:49 PM
Game 5 adjustment: hope they don't make the shots.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-08-2017, 12:52 PM
It'll be interesting to see the adjustment when Anderson is in at the 5.

Anderson has been destroying the Spurs this series, more minutes for him is a terrible thing for SA, unfortunately.

bklynspursfan
05-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Anderson has been destroying the Spurs this series, more minutes for him is a terrible thing for SA, unfortunately.

Well he was pretty quiet in game 3. He hasnt been the most consistent player in these playoffs. Just need to hope he has more downs... also would help if our bigs attack him