PDA

View Full Version : The nba is now a 3 point chucking league

poop
05-08-2017, 12:31 PM
May as well accept it...ive always said size and defense wins (and still will if applied correctly) but basically nothing to lose at this point but to sign a team of players 6-8 or less who can simply dribble and chuck.

If spurs lose next game, poptard should roll out this lineup for game 6:
Mills
Green
Simmons
Leonard
Bertans

To start game, with simple instructions:

Just go out there and chuck as many 3s as you can. Just keep shooting. On defense, just defend your man as best as you can, if they score oh well, just run back and chuck.

ElNono
05-08-2017, 12:33 PM
OP needs to shave his beard and play Bertans more, tbh... and stop quitting in the 3rd quarter

skulls138
05-08-2017, 12:36 PM
But threes come after confidence is gained which starts inside. You start pounding them inside, Green, Mills and Kawhi and maybe even Pau can start draining them from outside.

NameLess Scrub
05-08-2017, 12:44 PM
Great post.

RD2191
05-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Yup, this is definitely where the league is headed. Teams will now build a team with a penetrator surrounded by shooters camping out behind the arc. Shits already boring as fuck and it's only going to get worse. I might be done with the NBA soon.

DieHardSpursFan1537
05-08-2017, 01:06 PM
Pretty much. The dominant big man will soon become, if it hasn't already, extinct. The meme bros have inflicted their cancer onto the rest of the NBA and it's quickly becoming a small ball game of hucking up 3 pointers on every possession.

jermaine
05-08-2017, 01:07 PM
My son's think dribble moves gets ooooo's an awwww's is doing something in basketball. Every kid I know is a GS fan all of a sudden but never watch any gms. I quit watching football with all that pussy ball. Can't hit high, can't hit low, this is a catch, this ain't a catch. Fucking pathetic. Niggas are gonna start turning into KD... if you can't beat'em, join'em!

poop
05-08-2017, 04:06 PM
Its weird cause i was watching some 90's games lately and the 3 point shot was rarely even used and rarely even made lmao...i was like jeez these guys couldnt shoot 3s for shit back then. What a difference now

99 Problems
05-08-2017, 04:59 PM
The 3 point shooter has to jump into defenders or make sure the defenders seems to be in your landing area, even if you have to move 2' sideways in the air. :spin Not just about chucking :rollin

illusioNtEk
05-08-2017, 05:06 PM
Patty
Murray
Simmons
Leonard
LMA

Bench rotation of
Manu
Gasol
Barttans
Dedmon

BC3
05-08-2017, 08:07 PM
spursball vs "moreyball" league...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPndEwlzcgk

SpurOutofTownFan
05-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Game 1: Rockets couldn't miss a 3 = Rockets win
Game 2: Rockets missed almost all the 3s = Spurs win
Game 3: Rockets missed almost all the 3s = Spurs win
Game 4: Rockets couldn't miss a 3 = Rockets win

Thanks for your participation...

DMC
05-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Spurs have 3pt shooter = we love the 3
Spurs have shit for 3pt shooting = the 3 is killing the game

tbdog
05-08-2017, 09:10 PM
The NBA has protected shooters (for a good reason) but it has gone to far. You cannot touch a perimeter player, but damn you can bash a interior one. What NBA need to address: Stop this fouling 3 point shooter crap and enforce moving screens. Be far far more stricter on moving on a screen.

Mark Celibate
05-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Yup, this is definitely where the league is headed. Teams will now build a team with a penetrator surrounded by shooters camping out behind the arc. Shits already boring as fuck and it's only going to get worse. I might be done with the NBA soon.

Didn't the Spurs win a title recently by playing this exact way?

BC3
05-08-2017, 09:16 PM

"...we might be seeing the basketball version of an economic concept known as Goodhart's Law, which holds that when a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure. (In sports terms, violating Goodhart's Law is roughly akin to "playing to the drill.") In the curious cases of the Sixers and the Rockets, it's quite possible that both teams have forgotten that three-pointers and shots at the rim are indicators of good offense, and not necessarily good offense in and of themselves—less a cause than a result."

DAF86
05-08-2017, 09:47 PM

Not really, Spurs still played two traditional bigs and they didn't just run and chuck mindlessly centering on the pick and roll game of one guy. They ran sets, moved the ball around, and got open looks from anywhere on the floor: threes, on the paint and the midrange.

Russ
05-08-2017, 10:06 PM

The only team to win a title playing that exact way was Golden State in 2015.

Then they shot themselves out of a title playing that way just one year later, looking completely frightened and lost at the end.

It is by no means certain that this style will carry the day with NBA GMs going forward.

We're just as likely to return to "live by the jump shot, die by the jump shot" as the future unfolds.

spurraider21
05-08-2017, 10:11 PM
when the spurs took the league by force with 3's, nobody here complained :lol

BC3
05-08-2017, 10:53 PM
when the spurs took the league by force with 3's, nobody here complained :lol

i think that just some people see this moreyball as gimmicky. when spurs were doing that they weren't gimmicky. they used bigs, shot midrange, slowed the game down when needed, didnt shoot 3s based on analytics but shot threes because it was the best shot in a long evolved process.

that being said. im not in favor of moving the 3pt line.

spurraider21
05-08-2017, 10:56 PM
i think that just some people see this moreyball as gimmicky. when spurs were doing that they weren't gimmicky. they used bigs, shot midrange, slowed the game down when needed, didnt shoot 3s based on analytics but shot threes because it was the best shot in a long evolved process.

that being said. im not in favor of moving the 3pt line.outside of a couple of harden shots, its not like the rockets are chucking up wild contested 3's. they're generating open looks at will.

sananspursfan21
05-08-2017, 10:56 PM
Spurs have 3pt shooter = we love the 3
Spurs have shit for 3pt shooting = the 3 is killing the game

I love the art of finding the open man on the perimeter with continuous ball movement. It's when these guys isolate, fade away, with no follow through, turning around, all teammates standing around watching, with two hands in their face and swish home a three. Then do some handmotion insinuating they knew it was going in all along. Sure, you'll have games where that just so happens to work for you. That's something you thank God for at the end of the shot clock, not something your team lives by. That's where I draw the line on my 3 point love/hate.

BC3
05-08-2017, 10:59 PM
outside of a couple of harden shots, its not like the rockets are chucking up wild contested 3's. they're generating open looks at will.

to my understanding rox arent using bigs and going for the mid-range shot as the basis for their philosophy. they either go for layup/dunk or chunk the 3 more times than not. spurs i dont believe ever did this as a basis in their philosophy. rox are more small ball dominant/minded.

noles1983
05-08-2017, 11:12 PM
NBA is such a joke now, I honestly hope it dies a horrible death. 50 3 pointers a game, refs don't even call carries anymore when literally every player does it with every dribble. NBA is all style and no substance at this point. Once they put ads on jerseys they are dead to me.

spurtech09
05-08-2017, 11:19 PM
Warriors VS Cavs NBA Finals every yr......Sounds about right to me......Well intill Lebron retires.....Couple more year's guys...

spurtech09
05-08-2017, 11:21 PM
But threes come after confidence is gained which starts inside. You start pounding them inside, Green, Mills and Kawhi and maybe even Pau can start draining them from outside.

DMC
05-08-2017, 11:34 PM
I love the art of finding the open man on the perimeter with continuous ball movement. It's when these guys isolate, fade away, with no follow through, turning around, all teammates standing around watching, with two hands in their face and swish home a three. Then do some handmotion insinuating they knew it was going in all along. Sure, you'll have games where that just so happens to work for you. That's something you thank God for at the end of the shot clock, not something your team lives by. That's where I draw the line on my 3 point love/hate.

That's how Curry plays and the bulk of this forum semen shielding the hell out of him a few years ago when I called him out.

DMC
05-08-2017, 11:37 PM
The NBA has protected shooters (for a good reason) but it has gone to far. You cannot touch a perimeter player, but damn you can bash a interior one. What NBA need to address: Stop this fouling 3 point shooter crap and enforce moving screens. Be far far more stricter on moving on a screen.

No. The players will adapt to the current rules. Those who do so faster can learn to take advantage of them. It won't always be the Spurs. If the game becomes unwatchable, the market will force a correction.

SAGirl
05-08-2017, 11:49 PM
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nba-playoff-defense-cant-stop-the-rise-of-the-pull-up-3/?addata=espn:nba:san-antonio-spurs
NBA playoffs defense can't stop the rise of the pullup 3...

spurraider21
05-09-2017, 01:12 AM
to my understanding rox arent using bigs and going for the mid-range shot as the basis for their philosophy. they either go for layup/dunk or chunk the 3 more times than not. spurs i dont believe ever did this as a basis in their philosophy. rox are more small ball dominant/minded.who wouldn't want to take layups and uncontested 3s? if the spurs cant defend their oh-so-simple strategy, then it's their fault

like i said, they're generating OPEN threes. that's a good strategy

BillMc
05-09-2017, 01:17 AM
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nba-playoff-defense-cant-stop-the-rise-of-the-pull-up-3/?addata=espn:nba:san-antonio-spurs
NBA playoffs defense can't stop the rise of the pullup 3...
Nice read. Thanks.

BC3
05-09-2017, 01:26 AM
who wouldn't want to take layups and uncontested 3s? if the spurs cant defend their oh-so-simple strategy, then it's their fault

like i said, they're generating OPEN threes. that's a good strategy

i hear ya. if the spurs can't defend the 3 or crowd the paint thats on them. but spurs have never been one dimensional like the rox. they may be now because their bigs aren't doing bigs things (but thats a different one dimensional than the rox). spurs may have utilized some elements of moreyball in the past to beat a moreyball dominant team but spurs philosophy never has been about that. spurs have generally been about having many dimensions to their game. not gimmick ball. granted if gimmick ball wins gimmick ball wins. props! but spurs havent been about that.

tbdog
05-09-2017, 05:21 AM
No. The players will adapt to the current rules. Those who do so faster can learn to take advantage of them. It won't always be the Spurs. If the game becomes unwatchable, the market will force a correction.

I get that, but currently everything is stack up against defenses, while offensive players are being protected. You cannot crowed the shooter and must allow him to land. You cannot touch that player driving with your arms and only can body him. The offensive player gets the benefit of the doubt in foul calls, from reach ins, arms flying around, flops, and blocking/charge calls, and now defenders are getting called for fouling the 3pt shooter when it's the offensive screen that causing the contact. To go along with moving screens, 3 secs in the key, travels and carries not being called, it has come to this.

ceperez
05-09-2017, 07:00 AM

Hit the nail on the head. For 2 points you have to score while getting bumped. For 3 points you can score without anyone touching you.

That's why the Spurs team is doomed.

ceperez
05-09-2017, 07:06 AM
PATFO read the league wrong. They showed how to do it when they won the championship. But for some stupid reason decided to go the other way.

Spurs can be dominant with Leonard at center!

Brazil
05-09-2017, 07:19 AM
:lol Spurs started dat shit and now we are complaining other teams do the same but at an even higher rate ? smh

SAGirl
05-09-2017, 01:30 PM
I get that, but currently everything is stack up against defenses, while offensive players are being protected. You cannot crowed the shooter and must allow him to land. You cannot touch that player driving with your arms and only can body him. The offensive player gets the benefit of the doubt in foul calls, from reach ins, arms flying around, flops, and blocking/charge calls, and now defenders are getting called for fouling the 3pt shooter when it's the offensive screen that causing the contact. To go along with moving screens, 3 secs in the key, travels and carries not being called, it has come to this.
Compare that with all the pushing, shoving and physicality that is allowed on the post up player, including offensive fouls called on him when a 6'2" guy is attempting to guard a 6'11" man with over 50 pounds on him and appears to flop.
This is the way the league is going. It definitely favors guards/wings and softness.:lol

SAGirl
05-09-2017, 01:32 PM
Nice read. Thanks.
no problem, the pullup 3 has become a kind of indefensible shot.

BC3
05-09-2017, 01:50 PM
moreyball is either at its apex or still has some ceiling left but i dont doubt that like everything else it will run its course. just the nature of things. since its more in the open now we will be seeing more minds/strategists counter it. one rule in "the formula" is that your opponent gets distracted by his own consumption.

of course rules/calls seem to be a driving force of moreyball (not sure how much). ie pull up 3 foul call and playing hard defense is called more than hard offense and bigs almost being obsolete.

r0drig0lac
05-09-2017, 03:07 PM
op with the goods

DMC
05-09-2017, 03:56 PM

They are paid millions to play a game. They'll figure it out.

BC3
05-09-2017, 04:00 PM
They are paid millions to play a game. They'll figure it out.

is the market a part of dictating calls? ie people/viewership wants more fast break and 3 points/quick scores/and a lot of calls go to protect the offensive players more especially beyond the 3?

in the nfl its a QB dominated league/more quick scores so the calls benefit and protect the offense more/qbs and this leads to more views and interest. but some say its killing the game.

curious here. trying to figure this out myself. not trying to argue.

DMC
05-09-2017, 04:19 PM
is the market a part of dictating calls? ie people/viewership wants more fast break and 3 points/quick scores/and a lot of calls go to protect the offensive players more especially beyond the 3?

in the nfl its a QB dominated league/more quick scores so the calls benefit and protect the offense more/qbs and this leads to more views and interest. but some say its killing the game.

curious here. trying to figure this out myself. not trying to argue.

Since it's only entertainment, it's always about the market, but the NBA thinks long term and you don't make sudden rule changes to try to capture a fad market surge. Remember the basketball change? That was a hoot.

People are sought out and cultivated from damn near birth to do nothing but play basketball for money. Advanced metrics and cameras and analytics everywhere support the drive to capitalize on loopholes in everything before those loopholes are closed. So regardless how the rules change, someone will be figuring out a way to exploit the weakness in human officiating and rules for monetary gain.

I think any foul beyond the 3pt line should be reviewable if the shot was attempted, and if the offensive player initiated contact, then the foul can be reversed. I think goaltending should be reviewable just like having a toe on the 3pt line. If the ball was goaltended, then review can either negate or add the points without the ref calling it. It can be done during a timeout. It could affect the point after though, since sometimes a missed shot during a shooting foul gets 2 FTs while a goaltended shot would only get one. In those cases the 2nd FT can be erased and the point total increased by 1 (and 1).

spurraider21
05-09-2017, 04:19 PM
:lol Spurs started dat shit and now we are complaining other teams do the same but at an even higher rate ? smhyeah, its just fans bitching about how their team isn't as dominant as they want them to be

gospursgojas
05-09-2017, 04:52 PM
Just go out there and chuck as many 3s as you can. Just keep shooting. On defense, just defend your man as best as you can, if they score oh well, just run back and chuck.

Pretty much COY candidate Mike D'antoni's system ever since he began coaching in the league.

BC3
05-09-2017, 05:03 PM
Since it's only entertainment, it's always about the market, but the NBA thinks long term and you don't make sudden rule changes to try to capture a fad market surge. Remember the basketball change? That was a hoot.

People are sought out and cultivated from damn near birth to do nothing but play basketball for money. Advanced metrics and cameras and analytics everywhere support the drive to capitalize on loopholes in everything before those loopholes are closed. So regardless how the rules change, someone will be figuring out a way to exploit the weakness in human officiating and rules for monetary gain.

I think any foul beyond the 3pt line should be reviewable if the shot was attempted, and if the offensive player initiated contact, then the foul can be reversed. I think goaltending should be reviewable just like having a toe on the 3pt line. If the ball was goaltended, then review can either negate or add the points without the ref calling it. It can be done during a timeout. It could affect the point after though, since sometimes a missed shot during a shooting foul gets 2 FTs while a goaltended shot would only get one. In those cases the 2nd FT can be erased and the point total increased by 1 (and 1).

thanks for that response! appreciate it. im learning.

so what makes morreyball a fad for the market? isn't the most efficient shot or basing your shots on analytics an increasing trend since the 1980s rather than a fad? so while its rather one dimensional it's been around and trending. has it not? you could be right that it is a fad. i hope so. its boring. however im not sure it is a fad and so calls are generated to preference it over other strategies because of entertainment purposes. good discussion. i await your next reply as im sure i will learn more about this topic from it.

poop
05-09-2017, 08:00 PM
outside of a couple of harden shots, its not like the rockets are chucking up wild contested 3's. they're generating open looks at will.

They just set the nba record for 3 point attempts

poop
05-09-2017, 08:19 PM
This small ball crap is easily countered by playing basketball the way it was always played-using size- problem is is virtually no bigs have post up, inside skills anymore to punish a smaller defender. Hell LA just got stopped twice being defended one on one by freakin james harden...

The 90's bigs would have feasted on this shit...can you imagine hakeem or freaking shaq in todays game?? With the small ball and the volume chucking?? They would be putting up 35, 15 and 8 for the season

daslicer
05-09-2017, 08:27 PM
This small ball crap is easily countered by playing basketball the way it was always played-using size- problem is is virtually no bigs have post up, inside skills anymore to punish a smaller defender. Hell LA just got stopped twice being defended one on one by freakin james harden...

The 90's bigs would have feasted on this shit...can you imagine hakeem or freaking shaq in todays game?? With the small ball and the volume chucking?? They would be putting up 35, 15 and 8 for the season

Pretty much this. I remember even a few years ago against the thunder that Scott Brooks attempted to go small at one point in game 1 of the series and have Durant guard Duncan. Duncan at old age ended up posting him up multiple times and scoring on him. After that happened Brooks never attempted to go small again. It's amazing how today's bigs can't post up undersized players.

Mark Celibate
05-09-2017, 08:50 PM

yep, that's the real problem here. Instead of whining about how the league is somehow ruined, the big men need to man up and punish the other team for basically playing five three point shooters.

ROFL @ playing Ryan Anderson at the five. That nonsense wouldn't have worked against prime Duncan, Shaq, KG, Hakeem, etc

poop
05-09-2017, 09:14 PM
Yep. Ryan anderson is basically a little better matt bonner and hes owing us

midnightpulp
05-09-2017, 09:52 PM

:tu

Spurs over NBA, indeed.

I'll never forsake the Spurs nor this site nor being a fan of basketball in general, but fuck the league as a whole. Unwatchable basketball.

SAGirl
05-10-2017, 04:04 PM
In pivotal game 5:

Though the Rockets got up 48 attempts from deep, they only hit 16. Harden was 4-of-15 from deep.

MaNu4Tres
05-10-2017, 04:19 PM
In pivotal game 5:

Though the Rockets got up 48 attempts from deep, they only hit 16. Harden was 4-of-15 from deep.

And they had a 5 point lead going into the last 1:30 of the game in regulation. Rockets could have easily won the game just as the Spurs could have easiy won Game 5 vs. OKC last year.

This was even when they went 16 for 48 from 3.

Pop did Rockets a favor by going to LA 25+ times in 4 down. My jesus was that frustrating. Spurs will never win anything with that being a major staple in the offense.

Hopefully they get rid of it asap.