PDA

View Full Version : Patty Mills will start tonight: Book it

tmtcsc
05-09-2017, 05:04 PM
Houston's smaller lineup will put Patty in the starting lineup.

dabom
05-09-2017, 05:08 PM
I was thinking this too.

TD 21
05-09-2017, 05:13 PM
It's the logical move. With Harden defending Gasol, the Spurs will obviously try to milk that by having Aldridge and Gasol play hi-lo. But with Murray on the floor, it was easy for them to have Harden front Gasol and provide backside help by abandoning Murray in the weak side corner. He did make a few contorting layups/floaters in traffic, but they'll live with that. Put Mills in that spot and that strategy goes out the window. They'd more than likely have Harden play behind Gasol and either help on the catch or move, forcing Gasol to make plays off the dribble and in traffic and relying on their rotations. Between Gasol's ability to do that and their lack of defensive precision, this should lead to good offense.

It's time to stop trying to be cute, maintaining balance and rationing minutes. When series' get to this point between two (supposedly) evenly matched teams, it's about playing your best or more suited lineup until they drop. Mills-Green-Leonard-Aldridge-Gasol, with Ginobili-Simmons-Bertans off the bench, should be the rotation.

tmtcsc
05-09-2017, 05:19 PM
It's the logical move. With Harden defending Gasol, the Spurs will obviously try to milk that by having Aldridge and Gasol play hi-lo. But with Murray on the floor, it was easy for them to have Harden front Gasol and provide backside help by abandoning Murray in the weak side corner. He did make a few contorting layups/floaters in traffic, but they'll live with that. Put Mills in that spot and that strategy goes out the window. They'd more than likely have Harden play behind Gasol and either help on the catch or move, forcing Gasol to make plays off the dribble and in traffic and relying on their rotations. Between Gasol's ability to do that and their lack of defensive precision, this should lead to good offense.

It's time to stop trying to be cute, maintaining balance and rationing minutes. When series' get to this point between two (supposedly) evenly matched teams, it's about playing your best or more suited lineup until they drop. Mills-Green-Leonard-Aldridge-Gasol, with Ginobili-Simmons-Bertans off the bench, should be the rotation.

Agreed.

testies
05-09-2017, 05:22 PM
Poop won't adjust, they will double Pau and he will pass to Dejontay who will fumble the ball

TheGreatYacht
05-09-2017, 05:22 PM
A lot of wishful thinking here on Pop going small. He will stick with his 1990's two 7 foot stiffs postup ball until Game 6 in the second half when we're down 2-3

tmtcsc
05-09-2017, 05:24 PM
A lot of wishful thinking here on Pop going small. He will stick with his 1990's two 7 foot stiffs postup ball until Game 6 in the second half when we're down 2-3

Pop just announced Mills is starting.

NASpurs
05-09-2017, 05:25 PM

SASdynasty!
05-09-2017, 05:27 PM
By 25 points. By the time we adjust, we'll lose by 9.

tmtcsc
05-09-2017, 05:28 PM
Lets do this! Finish the Rockets in 6 so we can get on with the sweep. I don't think 1 person on the Spurs believes they can beat the dubs. That's why they are fucking around and not getting their work done like pros.

dabom
05-09-2017, 05:29 PM
I was thinking this too.

:tu

TheGreatYacht
05-09-2017, 05:39 PM
Pop just announced Mills is starting.
Fuck, unfortunately he's taking Murray's spot. Wanted to see them together. If they would've been anywhere close to what Parker+Patty were together, we would've been alright.

Now this means more Aldridge postups with Mills bringing the ball up.....

tmtcsc
05-09-2017, 05:42 PM
Fuck, unfortunately he's taking Murray's spot. Wanted to see them together. If they would've been anywhere close to what Parker+Patty were together, we would've been alright.

Now this means more Aldridge postups with Mills bringing the ball up.....
It's all about the spacing. Houston rightfully doesn't respect Murray's jump shot and are cheating on D. Harassing LMA too much.

TheGreatYacht
05-09-2017, 05:44 PM
It's all about the spacing. Houston rightfully doesn't respect Murray's jump shot and are cheating on D. Harassing LMA too much.
Spacing doesn't matter when Aldridge is posting up. If there's a guy open, he will most likely miss him. That's counting on him even passing in the first place.

25 fadeaways on Harden coming up

TheRemix
05-09-2017, 05:44 PM

This, they were leaving murray wiiiiide open. Let's see how this plays out

tmtcsc
05-09-2017, 06:19 PM
Spacing doesn't matter when Aldridge is posting up. If there's a guy open, he will most likely miss him. That's counting on him even passing in the first place.

25 fadeaways on Harden coming up

I've been so pissed at LMA and Pau not punishing their bigs. Man, I hope they compete harder tonight. They have to.

DMC
05-09-2017, 06:53 PM
I've been so pissed at LMA and Pau not punishing their bigs. Man, I hope they compete harder tonight. They have to.

They are competing to see who can have the softer game.

Both of them can barely get off the ground, neither has a great touch around the rim (except on offensive rebounds, Pau is pretty decent, doesn't try to do too much).

GSH
05-09-2017, 07:20 PM

LOL. I've been pissed at him for not punishing their guards in the post. :lol

SAGirl
05-09-2017, 07:27 PM
good prediction.

tholdren
05-09-2017, 07:34 PM

this. Murray is too stupid to run the offense. his drive is needed but he's only effective when he dominates the ball. not good enough for that

palangi
05-09-2017, 07:50 PM
this. Murray is too stupid to run the offense. his drive is needed but he's only effective when he dominates the ball. not good enough for that

Ignorant and stupid

tholdren
05-09-2017, 07:54 PM
Ignorant and stupid

he doesn't run off or set screens. he can't dribble under pressure. he's dumb

palangi
05-09-2017, 07:56 PM
he doesn't run off or set screens. he can't dribble under pressure. he's dumb

Ignorant and stupid

tmtcsc
05-09-2017, 08:23 PM
LOL. I've been pissed at him for not punishing their guards in the post. :lol

Lol, that's perfectly said.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2017, 08:25 PM
Sadly, still watching two bigs and David Lee out there while Bertans and Dedmon rot on the end of the bench.

tmtcsc
05-09-2017, 11:33 PM
Well, for a night it worked at least. This thing still looks broke.

GSH
05-10-2017, 12:11 AM
Sadly, still watching two bigs and David Lee out there while Bertans and Dedmon rot on the end of the bench.

Both of those guys have balls, at least. I keep thinking how Bertans' rim protection could help, not to mention the chance of him making some 3's. But I have to admit - I can't imagine any parallel universe where Dedmon has 18 and 14 like LMA had tonight. I'm still sort of shaking my head. I mean, you can't deny that those points added to the winning score, and the rebounds were vital. But he ought to be lighting the Rockets up in the paint.

GSH
05-10-2017, 12:18 AM
Well, for a night it worked at least. This thing still looks broke.

I've been saying that all season, even after a lot of their wins. I keep scratching my head about the number of W's they piled up, and the thing still looked broken. If the Spurs somehow managed to stumble through and win the Finals, they'd be saying that this was the worst team to ever win a Championship. And I wouldn't argue with them. I was thinking during the game, "Have you ever seen a team under-achieve at home like this year's Spurs?" I understand shit teams losing at home, but I'm talking under-achieving. This has just been one of the strangest seasons I can ever remember.

sasaint
05-10-2017, 12:23 AM
Both of those guys have balls, at least. I keep thinking how Bertans' rim protection could help, not to mention the chance of him making some 3's. But I have to admit - I can't imagine any parallel universe where Dedmon has 18 and 14 like LMA had tonight. I'm still sort of shaking my head. I mean, you can't deny that those points added to the winning score, and the rebounds were vital. But he ought to be lighting the Rockets up in the paint.

Deadman does not get the usage to ever score 18. If somebody like CP3 were consistently looking for him on oops, he would, however, score some. And I think if he were involved in the offense more, he might play more disciplined defense. That said, I can imagine Deadman getting 14+ boards, playing better defense on perimeter switches, and protecting the rim as well or better. AND he is capable of passing the ball, too.

tmtcsc
05-10-2017, 12:28 AM
I've been saying that all season, even after a lot of their wins. I keep scratching my head about the number of W's they piled up, and the thing still looked broken. If the Spurs somehow managed to stumble through and win the Finals, they'd be saying that this was the worst team to ever win a Championship. And I wouldn't argue with them. I was thinking during the game, "Have you ever seen a team under-achieve at home like this year's Spurs?" I understand shit teams losing at home, but I'm talking under-achieving. This has just been one of the strangest seasons I can ever remember.

Same here. I had high-hopes that an infusion of youth along with the vets would make the Spurs dangerous. Instead, LMA is a pussy, Pau looks soft and confused, Simmons didn't improve as much as I thought he would and Parker was Parker. The only guy who legitimately looked better was Kawhi. However, the offense looked awful with all the iso's for him. Was it to appease KL or did everybody else just suck? Why get away from the beautiful game? Pop and RC will have work to do if they want to get this thing back on track. The team will sorely miss Manu's competitiveness. He doesn't have the physical skills anymore but he sure as hell competes and wants to win. He's the anti-Aldridge.

GSH
05-10-2017, 12:35 AM
Deadman does not get the usage to ever score 18. If somebody like CP3 were consistently looking for him on oops, he would, however, score some. And I think if he were involved in the offense more, he might play more disciplined defense. That said, I can imagine Deadman getting 14+ boards, playing better defense on perimeter switches, and protecting the rim as well or better. AND he is capable of passing the ball, too.

Heh. But you can't do it can you? You can't make yourself say that somehow Dedmon might squirrel into an 18 and 14 night, even bringing CP3 in from the alternate universe to facilitate. You want to... but your fingers just won't type it. :lol

I'm not jamming you up. I'm the same way. I see that Dedmon plays with some aggression and I think maybe he... nah. Not 18 and 14.

YGWHI
05-10-2017, 12:56 AM
A lot of good calls before this game. OP tmtcsc (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=2574) about Patty starting the game, DAF86 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=11102) about the smallball lineups, ElNono (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8054) keeping the faith in Manu, dabom (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=47543) with the winner game-thread...

Great job guys :toast

dabom
05-10-2017, 12:58 AM
A lot of good calls before this game. OP tmtcsc (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=2574) about Patty starting the game, DAF86 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=11102) about the smallball lineups, ElNono (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8054) keeping the faith in Manu, dabom (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=47543) with the winner game-thread...

Great job guys :toast

I also called 5 patty mill 3s. Got deleted 6 hours ago. :lol

dabom
05-10-2017, 12:59 AM
I've known Simmons strengths long before this game too and I wish we would have started Patty a lot more. :tu

YGWHI
05-10-2017, 01:08 AM
I also called 5 patty mill 3s. Got deleted 6 hours ago. :lol
Deleted? But they didn't delete those horrible threads trolling Kawhi from LongtimeSpursFan ,right??

I've known Simmons strengths long before this game too and I wish we would have started Patty a lot more. :tu

dabom
05-10-2017, 01:12 AM
Deleted? But they didn't delete those horrible threads trolling Kawhi from LongtimeSpursFan (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=15411) ,right??

:lol

sasaint
05-10-2017, 01:23 AM
Heh. But you can't do it can you? You can't make yourself say that somehow Dedmon might squirrel into an 18 and 14 night, even bringing CP3 in from the alternate universe to facilitate. You want to... but your fingers just won't type it. :lol

I'm not jamming you up. I'm the same way. I see that Dedmon plays with some aggression and I think maybe he... nah. Not 18 and 14.

No, I admit I can't. But the point is, he could be more effective than LMA in other aspects of the game to offset the loss of scoring. LMA is an absolute black hole on offense. He missed Kawhi on a cut to the basket that everybody on ST saw from their recliners. Kawhi would have had one of his monster slams. Deadman has shown the kind of passing ability (not to say unselfishness) to make that play. LMA will never ever even see that opportunity because he is so focused on his scoring. Blindfolded, Deadman could average more assists than LMA... Fantastic rebounder... Also, while I admit that LMA is (most of the time) a better rim protector than expected at his signing or many on ST currently acknowledge, Deadman is an excellent rim protector as well as perimeter defender on switches. Eh, our discussion is purely conjectural since Deadman is as good as a goner, and we will never know.

Then again, Pop et al get to see him in practice... PRACTICE? We talkin' 'bout PRACTICE?!

therealtruth
05-10-2017, 03:26 AM

CP3 has a proven record of turning ordinary bigs into alley-oop monsters like with Tyson Chandler Deandre Jordan. No reason Kawhi couldn't develop that more as a point forward.

SAGirl
05-10-2017, 02:40 PM
No, I admit I can't. But the point is, he could be more effective than LMA in other aspects of the game to offset the loss of scoring. LMA is an absolute black hole on offense. He missed Kawhi on a cut to the basket that everybody on ST saw from their recliners. Kawhi would have had one of his monster slams. Deadman has shown the kind of passing ability (not to say unselfishness) to make that play. LMA will never ever even see that opportunity because he is so focused on his scoring. Blindfolded, Deadman could average more assists than LMA... Fantastic rebounder... Also, while I admit that LMA is (most of the time) a better rim protector than expected at his signing or many on ST currently acknowledge, Deadman is an excellent rim protector as well as perimeter defender on switches. Eh, our discussion is purely conjectural since Deadman is as good as a goner, and we will never know.

Then again, Pop et al get to see him in practice... PRACTICE? We talkin' 'bout PRACTICE?!
Not to put Deadman down, but he has never, ever, ever shown the passing ability that you describe. His assist to TO ratio has been godawful his whole career... whether bc of him starting to play late in life or what he doesn't have it with the passing. In fact often times he has an O board with 3 or 4 guys on the block converging (bc they were also looking for that board for example) and he will not pass that ball back out and reset, ending up with a lot of strips on him and blocks despite his hops bc it's so predictable. He is just not as good of a passer as you state. Now if you were saying Bertans, I buy it. If you were saying Anderson, Lee, Simmons, I do buy they have passing skill, but Dedmon no. His passes are often so off target they end up as TO...

He has other positives but one of the reasons he's limited offensively is decision making. He could maybe improve IMO given more opportunities as a bench player to begin with (same as Simmons) b4 being promoted to start games against elite competition without being ready. I think he was shafted development wise a little bit due to that. He was promoted to start and when his mistakes, etc were too much to be offset by his good defense, he was then dropped altogether from the rotation, instead of just getting bench minutes.

sasaint
05-10-2017, 07:33 PM
Not to put Deadman down, but he has never, ever, ever shown the passing ability that you describe. His assist to TO ratio has been godawful his whole career... whether bc of him starting to play late in life or what he doesn't have it with the passing. In fact often times he has an O board with 3 or 4 guys on the block converging (bc they were also looking for that board for example) and he will not pass that ball back out and reset, ending up with a lot of strips on him and blocks despite his hops bc it's so predictable. He is just not as good of a passer as you state. Now if you were saying Bertans, I buy it. If you were saying Anderson, Lee, Simmons, I do buy they have passing skill, but Dedmon no. His passes are often so off target they end up as TO...

He has other positives but one of the reasons he's limited offensively is decision making. He could maybe improve IMO given more opportunities as a bench player to begin with (same as Simmons) b4 being promoted to start games against elite competition without being ready. I think he was shafted development wise a little bit due to that. He was promoted to start and when his mistakes, etc were too much to be offset by his good defense, he was then dropped altogether from the rotation, instead of just getting bench minutes.

It is possible that I overstated Deadman's passing ability, but not his willingness. Whereas, LMA is not a willing passer. He lacks vision to pass because he is only looking to shoot the ball himself. As long as he is looking to make some passes, Deadman might learn some discernment. LMA is a black hole, and he isn't ever going to become a willing or capable passer. He isn't interested. That was the point I was trying to make.