PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Goaltending

Spurtacular
05-09-2017, 09:44 PM
Refs can just make calls via replay only now?

tholdren
05-09-2017, 09:46 PM
Refs can just make calls via replay only now?

sure can

lilbthebasedgod
05-09-2017, 09:50 PM
In certain situations. This is one.

I think its great. All calls should be reviewable if there is disagreement among refs.

Spurtacular
05-09-2017, 10:05 PM
I dont know what "certain situations" is. Last 2 minutes?

They can review that and not that D Green should be doing the jump ball?

Slippy
05-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Not sure if you referring to LAs tip in OT but that should of counted. If 4 the spurs lost that would of been a controversial call.

therealtruth
05-09-2017, 10:57 PM
That was a bad call. It was coming out.

100%duncan
05-09-2017, 10:59 PM
They shouldnt have been able to review it since no one called for the interference

DesignatedT
05-09-2017, 11:00 PM
Forgot about that shit. That ball was clearly coming off.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2017, 11:05 PM
They didn't call it until D'Anbitchy complained to Zorba on the sideline :td Bullshit call

sasaint
05-09-2017, 11:11 PM
Will the league issue a statement about the call or just blow it off since the Spurs won? We have all seen replays of tip-ins that were counted without comment when the ball was "more inside" the cylinder than that one.

look_at_g_shred
05-09-2017, 11:14 PM
Almost would've been another call Spurs got screwed by

LaMarcus Bryant
05-09-2017, 11:15 PM
That was a blatant bad call, the ball was clearly out of the cylinder, and bitch ass Reggie was saying how that was a good call

TheDoctor
05-09-2017, 11:16 PM
Will the league issue a statement about the call or just blow it off since the Spurs won? We have all seen replays of tip-ins that were counted without comment when the ball was "more inside" the cylinder than that one.

Yeah, no doubt that ball was going out fuck the NBA. The worst part was Reggie Miller saying it was a good call as the ball was still over the cylinder GTFOH with that shit.

Spurtacular
05-09-2017, 11:17 PM
That was a bad call. It was coming out.
But on the rim still, tbh. I just was pissed that it was iffy though and theyre making a call they didnt make in the first place.

Spurtacular
05-09-2017, 11:18 PM
They shouldnt have been able to review it since no one called for the interference

That was my understanding. They arent following their own fucking rules?

Horse
05-09-2017, 11:19 PM
Thing is it wasn't iffy. Watch it again it was clearly off.

100%duncan
05-09-2017, 11:21 PM
That was my understanding. They arent following their own fucking rules?

Its been that way for awhile now, always a gray spot in officiating reviews/non-reviews

Slippy
05-09-2017, 11:25 PM
That was a blatant bad call, the ball was clearly out of the cylinder, and bitch ass Reggie was saying how that was a good call

He actually changed his tune after seeing a replay on a different angle which clearly showed ball was out of cylinder.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2017, 11:38 PM
They didn't call it until D'Antoni bitched to the refs :td Probably the fourth or fifth call of the night they changed based on his whining.

Zorba and co. sucked dick tonight, fully expect the game six crew to bend us over in Houston for game six.

Ditty
05-09-2017, 11:40 PM
One of the worst calls I've ever seen. If the Spurs would've lost that would of been the talk to game seven, and possibly the offseason .

Robz4000
05-09-2017, 11:41 PM
Absolute bullshit call. Refs are able to change the rules in-game now against the Spurs; has been that way for years.

Chris
05-09-2017, 11:43 PM
Also that backcourt violation was a missed call :lol

Today's Refs :lol

urunobili
05-09-2017, 11:45 PM
The rule was changed after the non call on the Ibaka goaltend on Manu at the end of game 6 vs OKC that would have avoided OT

GSH
They didn't call it until D'Antoni bitched to the refs :td Probably the fourth or fifth call of the night they changed based on his whining.

Zorba and co. sucked dick tonight, fully expect the game six crew to bend us over in Houston for game six.

That's the part that made it REALLY wrong. Nobody called it during the play. But after Pringles screamed, he makes the toilet flush gesture. That call didn't get made off the replay - it got called off of D'Antoni crying.

It was close, but I think the ball was out of the cylinder when LMA touched it. Certainly they don't usually call that basket interference in the NBA. The ONLY reason they did it that time was that the ref nearest the Rockets' bench caved in. That shouldn't ever happen.

UZER
I thought the above the rim replay showed the ball still in the cylinder. Yes it was coming out but you still can't touch it until it completely clears.

TheGreatYacht
05-09-2017, 11:48 PM
Surprised no one is talking about that Harden out of bounds call that the refs made to give HOU the ball back late in the third.... Beverley hit a 3 because of it.

That error forced OT and potentially the game

LoneStarState'sPride
05-09-2017, 11:50 PM

Reggie wouldn't know a "good call" if it whipped out its dick and fucked his face live on air.

GSH
05-09-2017, 11:51 PM
You want to have some fun - go back and watch the last couple of minutes of regulation and the OT, and just watch Harden. It's not even close to shit that NBA refs should be allowing.

I posted it in the game thread, but there's a play near the end of regulation where Harden drives, and kicks to the corner, and then kicks Danny's legs out from under him so he can't go out and contest the corner 3. Reggie was blabbering about the defender "just falling down". The funny part was that after the shot was in the air, he threw himself on the floor like he'd been hit by a truck, so in case the shot didn't fall he could get a foul call. He's a tricky sonofabitch, I'll give him that. But the refs are doing everything but give him a reach-around.

UZER
05-09-2017, 11:51 PM
Surprised no one is talking about that Harden out of bounds call that the refs made to give HOU the ball back late in the third.... Beverley hit a 3 because of it.

Yeah THAT was the real bad call!

LoneStarState'sPride
05-09-2017, 11:52 PM
"How can you just fall down on a close out."

--R. Miller, like that just randomly happens to one of the best wing defenders in the game.

UZER
05-09-2017, 11:55 PM
"How can you just fall down on a close out."

--R. Miller, like that just randomly happens to one of the best wing defenders in the game.

Miller is horrible.

GSH
05-09-2017, 11:57 PM
I thought the above the rim replay showed the ball still in the cylinder. Yes it was coming out but you still can't touch it until it completely clears.

I thought it was out. But... from the NBA's own explanation of most misunderstood rules:

4. Once it has touched the rim and is either using the rim as its base or has bounced off the rim and is in the imaginary cylinder above the rim. (Note, a ball that is rolling off the rim may be touched, even if it is still in contact with the rim because it has no chance to go in)

The point of the "in the cylinder" phrase is that the ball has a reasonable chance to go in. That ball was clearly moving away from the basket, with zero chance to go in, regardless of whether some tiny portion of it was still over the iron. It was a bad call, which I think the league has admitted.

UZER
05-10-2017, 12:00 AM
I thought it was out. But... from the NBA's own explanation of most misunderstood rules:

4. Once it has touched the rim and is either using the rim as its base or has bounced off the rim and is in the imaginary cylinder above the rim. (Note, a ball that is rolling off the rim may be touched, even if it is still in contact with the rim because it has no chance to go in)

The point of the "in the cylinder" phrase is that the ball has a reasonable chance to go in. That ball was clearly moving away from the basket, with zero chance to go in, regardless of whether some tiny portion of it was still over the iron. It was a bad call, which I think the league has admitted.

Interesting.

grjr
05-10-2017, 12:01 AM
Yeah, in all my basketball watching, a ball coming off like that has NEVER been called goaltending.

GSH
05-10-2017, 12:01 AM
And this, from Rule 11 on Goaltending:

c. For goaltending to occur, the ball, in the judgment of the official, must have a chance to score.

I've looked at a number of their video explanations of goaltending. They even have one where they say it was legal to touch the ball while it was still in contact with the rim. I'll see if I can dig it up.

That was a bad call. Worse because the ref made it due to a screaming bitch on the sideline.

sasaint
05-10-2017, 12:04 AM
Yeah, no doubt that ball was going out fuck the NBA. The worst part was Reggie Miller saying it was a good call as the ball was still over the cylinder GTFOH with that shit.

Yeah, consider the source...

What I would really like Pop to rant about and the NBA to comment on are all the push offs that the refs allow Harden to get away with. If the officials called half of those, though Harden would be in constant foul trouble - can't have that. : wow

UZER
05-10-2017, 12:07 AM

c. For goaltending to occur, the ball, in the judgment of the official, must have a chance to score.

I've looked at a number of their video explanations of goaltending. They even have one where they say it was legal to touch the ball while it was still in contact with the rim. I'll see if I can dig it up.

That was a bad call. Worse because the ref made it due to a screaming bitch on the sideline.

Yeah, the bigger issue is that goaltending was not even called so it shouldn't have been reviewable.

Spurtacular
05-10-2017, 12:17 AM

The ball never crossed half court line. Kawhi was on the other side of the line if that matters.

UZER
05-10-2017, 12:19 AM
The ball never crossed half court line. Kawhi was on the other side of the line if that matters.

Yeah that one should not have been backcourt. The ball never crossed half court. Another call me because the refs reacted to Pringles bitching.

Spurtacular
05-10-2017, 12:19 AM

That ball had no chance of going in. Utter bull shit.

Seventyniner
05-10-2017, 12:20 AM

You've been on point for several posts here. :toast

At the very, very least they have to go to replay.

cjw
05-10-2017, 12:20 AM

Someone from replay center said if Kawhi had caught it with feet in frontcourt, it would have been a backcourt violation. Because he tipped it and was technically at that point not in full control and then dribbled with ball fully in backcourt, it should have been kosher. Refs messes it up

Spurtacular
05-10-2017, 12:21 AM
Yeah, the bigger issue is that goaltending was not even called so it shouldn't have been reviewable.

Thats my issue. This is not the first time I have seen a selective replay with no such call to be reversed.

Spurtacular
05-10-2017, 12:24 AM
And the refs called a lot of balls out of bounds for Rockets that were wrong. And Houston always scored on them, including a 4th quarter 3 that put them up 4.

dav4463
05-10-2017, 12:59 AM

I'm surprised no one ever mentioned that on the post game somewhere. The rule says both feet AND the ball have to cross the midcourt line. The ball never crossed the line.

Chris
05-10-2017, 01:18 AM
I'm surprised no one ever mentioned that on the post game somewhere. The rule says both feet AND the ball have to cross the midcourt line. The ball never crossed the line.

They mentioned it on NBATV; not surprised TNT missed it

TampaDude
05-10-2017, 05:29 AM
Long story short, we won playing 5 on 8 last night.

Fuck those faggot refs. Way too many bad calls to not be a deliberate screwjob attempt.

If we had lost that game...

NameLess Scrub
05-10-2017, 07:00 AM

Even worse because there was an angle clearly showing how LMa even suspended in the air waiting for the ball to come off the rim, and tipping it in when appropriate. For all the times we criticize LMa, this was a great play from him. Yet the refs couldn't see the ball was by all rules off time rim.

NameLess Scrub
05-10-2017, 07:04 AM
Someone from replay center said if Kawhi had caught it with feet in frontcourt, it would have been a backcourt violation. Because he tipped it and was technically at that point not in full control and then dribbled with ball fully in backcourt, it should have been kosher. Refs messes it up

He also kinda got bumped by Beverley, the same way Green got pushed outside of the court trying to get a loose ball and ended up giving it to the Rockets. I wonder if the refs thinks those plays are flops, but the fouls guys like Harden get are not..

Tbf, I do remember a pair of blocking fouls that could've been offensive fouls against the Spurs. I guess that's something.

On the announcers, I think most of them just focus on defending the refs decisions on most cases, with exceptions here or there. The only one I remember that openly criticizes the refs is JVG.

LittleCriminal
05-10-2017, 09:23 AM
Anybody have a gif or vid??

Dex
05-10-2017, 09:31 AM

They will release the standard Last Two Minute report (which will include all of OT, I believe), so we will see what they judge there.

The NBA won't release a statement though, especially since the Spurs won. TBH they only do that when they REALLY blow a call in the waning seconds, so that they can further piss off the fans of the team that they fucked over with a meaningless apology.

Dex
05-10-2017, 09:33 AM
Long story short, we won playing 5 on 8 last night.

Fuck those faggot refs. Way too many bad calls to not be a deliberate screwjob attempt.

If we had lost that game...

2K-style officiating. Any time a team started to gain any momentum or a significant lead, out came the shitty calls to keep the game close.

sammy
05-10-2017, 09:33 AM
The refs were horrible last night and it was loud at the ATT Center with all of the boos! Spurs were playing against 8 last night! Absolute travesty of these blind bat refs!:bang

Dex
05-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Miller is horrible.

I like when he was saying that Houston has several players who are capable of "making a play off the bounce".

Um...shooting a spot-up three isn't "making a play", Reggie.

sasaint
05-10-2017, 10:25 AM
The refs were horrible last night and it was loud at the ATT Center with all of the boos! Spurs were playing against 8 last night! Absolute travesty of these blind bat refs!:bang

Maybe we should send Manu after the refs...

jbspurs
05-10-2017, 10:36 AM

Exactly! The ball never cross the mid court, only the player did. SMH

boutons_deux
05-10-2017, 10:41 AM
"how LMa even suspended in the air waiting for the ball to come off the rim"

clearly, he pulled back, or hesitated, until the ball had moved out more.

Poolboy5623
05-10-2017, 11:14 AM
You guys need glasses....the ball was CLEARLY still in the cylinder. Was it coming out? Yes but thats not how the rule works..

Dex
05-10-2017, 11:18 AM
Exactly! The ball never cross the mid court, only the player did. SMH

Another call they didn't make until D'Antoni started barking in their ear.

superbigtime
05-10-2017, 11:19 AM
You want to have some fun - go back and watch the last couple of minutes of regulation and the OT, and just watch Harden. It's not even close to shit that NBA refs should be allowing.

I posted it in the game thread, but there's a play near the end of regulation where Harden drives, and kicks to the corner, and then kicks Danny's legs out from under him so he can't go out and contest the corner 3. Reggie was blabbering about the defender "just falling down". The funny part was that after the shot was in the air, he threw himself on the floor like he'd been hit by a truck, so in case the shot didn't fall he could get a foul call. He's a tricky sonofabitch, I'll give him that. But the refs are doing everything but give him a reach-around.

Yes dude! Saw that and typical Regina Miller take.

Dex
05-10-2017, 11:28 AM
You guys need glasses....the ball was CLEARLY still in the cylinder. Was it coming out? Yes but thats not how the rule works..

From http://official.nba.com/trigger/goaltending-basket-interference/

Once it has touched the rim and is either using the rim as its base or has bounced off the rim and is in the imaginary cylinder above the rim. (Note, a ball that is rolling off the rim may be touched, even if it is still in contact with the rim because it has no chance to go in); and

http://i.imgur.com/PRlgrR2.png

The center of gravity is outside the imaginary cylinder and moving outward, it is no longer using the rim as its base, and it has no chance of going in. That is not a goaltend.

The fact that they didn't even take the time to review the play is what pisses me off the most. One ref called for a review, and the other just waved it off and said to play on. It's fucking overtime, you can review that call.

ElNono
05-10-2017, 11:46 AM
what's more ridiculous is Pop not calling a review.... IIRC, all those calls are reviewable in OT...

Seventyniner
05-10-2017, 11:54 AM
I was also pissed at the lack of review. I thought it was mandatory for close calls in the last 2 minutes of the 4th and any OT. Especially because play was already stopped.

DieHardSpursFan1537
05-10-2017, 12:28 PM
That bullshit call almost cost us the game. Fuck those refs tbh

Chomag
05-10-2017, 12:36 PM
I was always under the impression that per rule calls can only be reviewed but there was no call made. I mean how the hell can you overturn a call that never happened anyway? It didn't matter though since it wasn't even goaltending, but ya...So why wasn't the out of bounds by Harden reviewed , and also the backcourt violation on Kawai? As per NBA rules that's not a violation. What made matters worst was all if these things started happening with the game on the line. I smell a fix boys... near the likes of Lakers vs Sacramento.

Makes winning feel all that much better knowing that our guys are still beating them 5 on 8.

Dex
05-10-2017, 12:43 PM
I was always under the impression that per rule calls can only be reviewed but there was no call made. I mean how the hell can you overturn a call that never happened anyway? It didn't matter though since it wasn't even goaltending, but ya...So why wasn't the out of bounds by Harden reviewed , and also the backcourt violation on Kawai? As per NBA rules that's not a violation. What made matters worst was all if these things started happening with the game on the line. I smell a fix boys... near the likes of Lakers vs Sacramento.

Makes winning feel all that much better knowing that our guys are still beating them 5 on 8.

They did eventually make a goaltending call, therefore the call can be reviewed.

Considering all the officials had to confer and one of them even initially called to review it...I'm dumbfounded that they wouldn't even take a look at such a high-stakes call.

cd021
05-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Dont forget about that call where the ball clearly went off of Harden (it may have been Beverly). Refs gave them the ball and the Rockets hit a three late in regulation.

gambit1990
05-10-2017, 02:13 PM
what's more ridiculous is Pop not calling a review.... IIRC, all those calls are reviewable in OT...

Blackjack
05-10-2017, 06:08 PM

Pretty sure I saw 2-3 out-of-bounds calls, not including that one, that resulted in Houston scores.

It's like clockwork. Either that happens or a would-be steal or loose ball is recovered by the opponent and it's a 4-6 point swing.