PDA

View Full Version : It's Hooters Except It's Drive-Thru Beer and Food.

TheWriter
10-14-2005, 12:46 AM
Beer 'N All due in S.A.

Web Posted: 10/14/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Melissa S. Monroe
Express-News Business Writer

Short shorts and tight shirts can go a long way in luring customers. Hooters proved it could be done with its sexy waitresses.

Now another business combining alcohol and cheerleader-dressed women is hoping that sex appeal and convenience will lead to profitability.

Beer 'N All, coming to San Antonio next month, features a drive-through convenience store that includes take-out food, more than 30 flavors of margaritas in sealed containers and more than 100 brands of beer.

At least three locations will open in November, and plans call for 50 stores in five years.

"It's going to be like Hooters Express," said Steve Bergenholtz, president of Dallas-based Franchising Ventures Group, which is launching Beer 'N All. "It's not just the ladies' uniforms. This is more of a festive environment and people having fun."

The women-and-wings model has worked well for Atlanta-based Hooters, which has more than 375 restaurants and an airline.

Three Beer 'N All locations opening next month are at San Pedro Avenue, two blocks from San Antonio College; West Avenue and Jackson Keller Road; and Military Drive and Roosevelt Avenue.

Some locations such as the one at San Pedro will have a sit-down area and a place for bands to perform. Others might be strictly drive-through.

As more stores open, the company could have as many as 200 employees within 18 months, Bergenholtz said.

Evis Sanchez, Beer 'N All's director of operations, started off Wednesday interviewing four women. By the end of the day, word had spread, and she was booked solid with meetings.

It shouldn't be too hard getting to 200 employees, as Beer 'N All's Web site, www.girlshired.com, is advertising starting pay at $10 an hour, plus tips.

The Web site suggests that employees be friendly, enjoy smiling and want to have fun.

That goes far beyond just having sex appeal, said Todd Myers of Hooters on the River Walk and president of the San Antonio Restaurant Association.

"If a pretty girl doesn't know how to talk with customers, then that does more harm than good," Myers said. "It's a complete package."

Besides great service, restaurants need to have an appealing menu or customers won't come back, Myers added.

The convenience chain Beer 'N All will serve hot food such as tacos, tamales and possibly Chinese food. It also will sell sodas, milk and coffee.

Bergenholtz and a partner formed Dallas-based Franchising Ventures Group late last year. They developed a business model to take the risk and headaches out of franchising.

But this is not the first drive-through concept for San Antonio. Diane Flores took over a similar business that had a track record of serving residents for more than 50 years. She said she used to frequent the business with her grandparents.

"What's important is the service you give people and the way you treat them," said Flores of Diane Ice House on the West Side. "People also like the convenience of not getting out of their cars, and we pump their gas. Snow, rain or shine, we are here."

Bergenholtz, who also runs a publishing company and has operated a video-game firm in the past, hopes to franchise more than 200 Beer 'N All stores in the United States. So far his group has invested $5 million in the San Antonio venture.

"Today society wants sheer convenience by not getting out of their car," Bergenholtz said. "Comparing it to a traditional convenience store, we expect to do 40 percent better."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA101405.1D.beernall.1c69d407.html

bigzak25
10-14-2005, 12:52 AM
great, like all we needed in san antonio needed was another place for people to get drunk and fat.

at least the cops can just park outside at closing and have easy pickings.

midgetonadonkey
10-14-2005, 12:54 AM
at least the cops can just park outside at closing and have easy pickings.

Can't they do that at any bar in the city?

Cant_Be_Faded
10-14-2005, 12:56 AM
First multiple championships, then Freebirds, now this?

San Antonio is well on its way to becoming the Deep South Los Angelos.

avoiding to be like your enemy most often results in you being like your enemy

batman2883
10-14-2005, 08:01 AM
Actually no cops cant wait outside bars and pull over drunk drivers its called entrapment and its illegal

ObiwanGinobili
10-14-2005, 08:11 AM
you mean this is the 1st drive thru liquor store in SA???
I'm shocked.
Victoria has one.. so does Cuero... and Refugio.....

batman2883
10-14-2005, 08:18 AM
They have those on the westside so it wouldnt be the first

ObiwanGinobili
10-14-2005, 08:22 AM
:lol
they would be on the westside...

batman2883
10-14-2005, 08:29 AM
hell yeah WESTSIDE TILL I DIE

SWC Bonfire
10-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Sonic with beer.

batman2883
10-14-2005, 09:18 AM
no no no, if sonic put liqour in their slushes they would definitly sell a lot more slushes

ObiwanGinobili
10-14-2005, 09:19 AM
god I love the cherry limeade....

batman2883
10-14-2005, 09:20 AM
hell no the three best slushes at sonic are

Cherry-strawberry
Lemon-strawberry
coconut

SWC Bonfire
10-14-2005, 09:21 AM
hell no the three best slushes at sonic are

Cherry-strawberry
Lemon-strawberry
coconut

Any wagers that batman is a "girl drink" drunk?

batman2883
10-14-2005, 09:25 AM
hell fucking no im not...i drink everclear straight out the damn bottle son....besides i just love slushes they are fucking great

CrazyOne
10-14-2005, 09:30 AM
hmm... a little tequila in the slushie... it could work. :drunk :eyebrows

batman2883
10-14-2005, 09:31 AM
it has worked we use to do that shit all the time in high school go to sonic, get a slush go home put some whiskey, tequila, or vodka in the slush and bam.....you got yourself a good fucking drink undercover

SWC Bonfire
10-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Dave: Thank you Mr. Barnes.

Kevin: Please. Call me Russell. Let's celebrate with a drink!

Dave: Oh uh I'm afraid I don't drink, Russ.

Kevin: Grown man like you Ray?

Dave: Well I've just never liked the taste of alcohol.

Kevin: Oh come on Ray. What about a Chocolate Choo Choo? It's a girl drink. Tastes like candy. [in low-pitched voice] Don't disappoint me Ray.

Dave: Okay uh, sure Russ. I'll have a... Chocolate Choo Choo.

Kevin: Great! I hate to drink alone. Can I have a Chocolate Choo Choo for my friend please and I'll have a scotch-and-soda!

batman2883
10-14-2005, 09:38 AM
ha ha ha ha watermelon jolly rancher is the fucking tastiest fucking drink ihave ever had

Mixability
10-14-2005, 09:39 AM
it has worked we use to do that shit all the time in high school go to sonic, get a slush go home put some whiskey, tequila, or vodka in the slush and bam.....you got yourself a good fucking drink undercover

Or you could stop being scared and take the bottle with you to school and make screwdrivers with those little orange juice cartons! :lol

batman2883
10-14-2005, 09:45 AM
fuck that the cops were always onto us, we had to be sneaky

SWC Bonfire
10-14-2005, 09:49 AM
utsagolfpb is lurking... must get secret dirt on this new threat to Hooters...:lol

Mixability
10-14-2005, 09:54 AM
fuck that the cops were always onto us, we had to be sneaky

ahhh, highschool, brings back memories

sharing a whole bottle of jack on the bleachers during gym..... :drunk
blowing dro during horticulture class....... :smokin

all this while the "cool kids" thought smoking cigarettes was being rebellious!

ShoogarBear
10-14-2005, 10:30 AM
Actually no cops cant wait outside bars and pull over drunk drivers its called entrapment and its illegal

:wtf

How is that entrapment?

Entrapment would be if the cops tried to make you go into the bar, then waited for you to come out.

King
10-14-2005, 10:42 AM

Actually, you're completely wrong. That's nothing like entrapment.

edit - i see i've been beaten to it.

batman2883
10-14-2005, 10:45 AM
i'm sorry entrapment isnt the word i was looking for but it is not legal....you can fight that shit.

Kori Ellis
10-14-2005, 10:47 AM
What's not legal about it?

batman2883
10-14-2005, 10:48 AM
i dont remember but it was one of my questions i had asked my professor in criminal justice he said its illegal for a cop to wait out drunk drivers at bars..they can get you for other reasons though such as public intoxication....but not dui...

King
10-14-2005, 10:49 AM
It's completely legal to do. It's not a game - the sides don't have to be even. Technically, the moment you put the key in the ignition, you can be nailed for DUI. Drinking and driving is illegal - and people get drunk in bars and then drive. It's a gold mine for that.

It's not like a cop is trying to get a quota - they're trying to keep drunks off the road.

What exactly would be your argument in court for that? The cop didn't even give me a chance to be drunk on a main road?

batman2883
10-14-2005, 10:57 AM
Not according to my professor who is a lawyer but i mean i guess he could be wrong too? But that was one of the first questions i had cause i always drink and drive ha ha ha ha.

King
10-14-2005, 01:53 PM
Boy, you're just a riot.

Gatita
10-14-2005, 02:08 PM
They are making it too easy for me to get my afterschool "fix".