PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Udrih earns Popovich's praise

Kori Ellis
10-14-2005, 01:38 AM
Udrih earns Popovich's praise
Web Posted: 10/14/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA101405.06C.SpursNotes.1cf60ebe.html

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Beno Udrih led the Spurs with 20 points in Thursday's 95-91 exhibition loss to Washington.

"I thought Beno was our best player tonight," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He really showed point-guard skills. He showed aggressiveness. He made other people on the floor better."

Udrih also played well during his brief time on the floor on Monday against Miami. After struggling a bit against Philadelphia on Wednesday, he again earned Popovich's praise.

"To have the third point guard and go out and play like he did," Popovich said, "is a bonus for us."

On the mend: Fabricio Oberto appears to be recovering well after spraining his left ankle Monday in Miami. Although he didn't play Thursday, he ran before the game.

Oberto will probably miss Saturday's game against Houston, but might be able to return when the Spurs play in Indiana on Tuesday.

Familiar face: Former Spurs guard Antonio Daniels is beginning his first season with Washington after signing a five-year contract worth about $30 million during the summer.

Daniels' agent, Tony Dutt, also spoke with Spurs officials, but the team was limited in what it could offer after spending half of its $5 million exception on Oberto.

Daniels, who continues to make San Antonio his offseason home, signed with the Wizards, in part, because their style of play wasn't too different from that of his previous team, the Seattle SuperSonics.

"It's very open, a lot of pick and rolls, and they like to get out and run," Daniels said. "And this is a great group of guys. That knucklehead factor isn't here. You don't have to worry about somebody coming into the locker room and throwing a tirade."

Fans by any name: A couple of the Spurs' more committed fans attended Thursday's game.

John and Rhonda Till, former San Antonians living in Greensboro, N.C., brought their 21/2-month-old son, Parker Duncan Ginobili Till, to his first Spurs game.

After the Spurs won their third championship, the Tills decided to name their son, who was born on July 31, after the team's three stars.

"I had to convince (Rhonda) on the Ginobili part," John Till said. "She was OK with Parker and Duncan."

John, a 37-year-old chef who graduated from Lee High School in 1986, and Parker D.G. posed for a photo with Tony Parker before the game.

TheWriter
10-14-2005, 01:40 AM
Beno kicks ass on NBA Live 2006.

RobinsontoDuncan
10-14-2005, 01:41 AM
Parker Duncan Ginobili Till....... my first reaction, laughing my ass off. My second reaction....these people ought to be shot.

TheWriter
10-14-2005, 01:43 AM
Parker Duncan Ginobili Till....... my first reaction, laughing my ass off. My second reaction....these people ought to be shot.

My brother was named after Superman's dad. Although spelled in a different variation. Give the parents some slack. :lol

Kori Ellis
10-14-2005, 01:43 AM

That's a pretty big overreaction. :lol

Think about it this way, he'll only be known as Parker Till. That's a pretty normal name.

TheWriter
10-14-2005, 01:45 AM
I think the last name is the worst part. :lol

zeleni
10-14-2005, 01:50 AM
Think about it this way, he'll only be known as Parker Till. That's a pretty normal name.

If I had to choose, I would be Duncan Till.
Dunkan is even more normal, even basketballwise. :lol ;)

Dre_7
10-14-2005, 01:50 AM
If Parker or Manu get traded in the future, what will those parents do? :lol

Dalamar_the_Dark
10-14-2005, 02:52 AM
Call Isiah and trade their son for a couple of expiring Knicks contracts.

Slo spurs fan
10-14-2005, 02:55 AM
"I thought Beno was our best player tonight," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He really showed point-guard skills. He showed aggressiveness. He made other people on the floor better."

Now I can die!

Horry For 3!
10-14-2005, 03:28 AM
John and Rhonda Till, former San Antonians living in Greensboro, N.C., brought their 21/2-month-old son, Parker Duncan Ginobili Till, to his first Spurs game.

After the Spurs won their third championship, the Tills decided to name their son, who was born on July 31, after the team's three stars.
July 31....that is my dad's birthday.

:lmao @ Parker Duncan Ginobili

Slomo
10-14-2005, 06:17 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidepressed.gif

Pop is getting ready to trade Beno.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidepressed.gif

Neuromancer
10-14-2005, 06:22 AM
If it is for someone of equal or greater value, then so be it.

Rubberducky
10-14-2005, 07:09 AM
I envy you. My PS2 Broke.
:cry :cry :cry
AHHHHHHHHHH! Who did it?! :makemyday

Kamnik
10-14-2005, 07:14 AM
i hope Tony gets a minor flu in a month or so there would be serious chance for Beno to proove himself even more and progress in his game! (in his only start last year he was a monster)

and plz dont bash me im not jinxing anyone; i like Parker hehe :lol

mrose31
10-14-2005, 07:38 AM

He is also awesome on nba2k6. I have played about 10 games and he has been player of the game twice. On the game he is really good shooter from anywhere, but I have trouble with him guarding other good point guards. He is pretty good at stealing but they seem to get by him pretty easy.

Rubberducky
10-14-2005, 07:41 AM
^^^:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

ObiwanGinobili
10-14-2005, 08:21 AM
I envy you. My PS2 Broke.
:cry :cry :cry
AHHHHHHHHHH! Who did it?! :makemyday

did you buy it the 1st day it was released???
casue mine broke too. :cry and everyone I know who bought it the 1st day or week has had to replace it allready.
it's so depressing.

batman2883
10-14-2005, 08:22 AM
Beno kicked ass last night

angel_luv
10-14-2005, 09:43 AM
Beno kicked ass last night

You speak true... Finally! ;)

sprrs
10-14-2005, 10:35 AM
So I guess he is going to be the third point guard. I would have thought Pop would try to play NVE as little as possible to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

SpursFreak1320
10-14-2005, 11:14 AM
TheWriter just got me in the mood to play nba live 06 im out :elephant

Obstructed_View
10-14-2005, 11:33 AM
To have the third point guard and go out and play like he did," Popovich said, "is a bonus for us."
That's a calculated statement to put pressure on Beno. They very well may be shopping him, but if he steps up and makes it impossible to deny him a backup spot, then so much the better for the team. As mentioned, it also gives Pop the opportunity to limit NVE's minutes until later in the season.

batman2883
10-14-2005, 11:53 AM
You speak true... Finally! ;)

I say this with all respect....your mother luv!!!

wildbill2u
10-14-2005, 11:59 AM
That's a calculated statement to put pressure on Beno. They very well may be shopping him, but if he steps up and makes it impossible to deny him a backup spot, then so much the better for the team. As mentioned, it also gives Pop the opportunity to limit NVE's minutes until later in the season.

Knowing CIA Pop's penchant for misdirection and oblique methods of motivation, these comments may be calculated to put pressure on NVE to step up if he's gonna be the 2nd PG.

Either way, like Pop says, it's an enviable position to be in. Why bother making trades when you can enjoy at least one season with a dynomite lineup.

Obstructed_View
10-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Sorry, but exactly why would he feel any need to pressure Van Exel to step up? He's old, he has no cartilege in his knees, and he has nothing to prove. He's here for a playoff run, not to fight for a backup spot. It's Beno's spot to win, not Van Exel's to lose. Beno is the one that Pop is going to put pressure on, just like he did with Parker at the same stage.

boutons
10-14-2005, 12:11 PM
I think the Pop pressure is for Beno to play for #2 PG (or share backup PG minutes equally with Nick), not pressure to trade Beno.

Spurs need 3 PGs, not 2.
Why trade Beno away when he's so damn cheap and playing so well?

DesiSpur_21
10-14-2005, 12:21 PM
I think the Pop pressure is for Beno to play for #2 PG (or share backup PG minutes equally with Nick), not pressure to trade Beno.

Spurs need 3 PGs, not 2.
Why trade Beno away when he's so damn cheap and playing so well?

I think Barry too will be under pressure if minutes for SG+SF is split as Manu/Bowen/Finley/Barry (30/26/24/16)

PT management is a great (and new) challenge for Pop this season. Beno/NVE/Barry will have to sacrifice a lot imo.

Obstructed_View
10-14-2005, 12:22 PM
I agree that he probably isn't shopping Beno, but if he becomes so valuable that someone is willing to take a big salary and give a good player in order to get him, that's as good as having him play well. Personally, I think Beno could end up allowing the Spurs to listen to offers for Parker at some point down the road. If Parker actually develops his jumper and shows up big in the playoffs then that goes out the window.

DesiSpur_21
10-14-2005, 12:29 PM
I agree that he probably isn't shopping Beno, but if he becomes so valuable that someone is willing to take a big salary and give a good player in order to get him, that's as good as having him play well. Personally, I think Beno could end up allowing the Spurs to listen to offers for Parker at some point down the road. If Parker actually develops his jumper and shows up big in the playoffs then that goes out the window.

So You think Spurs would put Beno rather than Brent into the package if they plan to move Nazr/Rasho? IMO it's a bad idea.

What is the time frame when you say "sometime down the road" ? I don't see it happening in the next 2 years.

Obstructed_View
10-14-2005, 01:33 PM
So You think Spurs would put Beno rather than Brent into the package if they plan to move Nazr/Rasho? IMO it's a bad idea.

What is the time frame when you say "sometime down the road" ? I don't see it happening in the next 2 years.
Actually, my post was a response to the post before yours. I agree that Barry would be more likely to be thrown into a package than Beno. I just didn't want to rule out the possibility that Pop was shopping Beno, even though I don't think that's what he's doing. But if someone is going to take Rasho's salary and offer something valuable in return, they might ask for Beno instead of Barry. It's only a bad idea if you don't get anything for him.

In answer to your question, "Sometime down the road" means exactly what I said: enough time for Parker to develop his jumper (or not), enough time too see if Parker shows up late into the playoffs (or not) and enough time to see if Beno develops into a point guard that can challenge for the starting spot of a championship team (or not). If it takes six months or three years remains to be seen, but a Stockton type point guard is the better fit for this team, and that's Beno. I agree that it would be at least a couple of years, which is why I don't think he'll be traded.

ducks
10-14-2005, 01:34 PM
pop is setting him up to trade him

Obstructed_View
10-14-2005, 01:35 PM
pop is setting him up to trade him
Is that what he told you? :rolleyes

ducks
10-14-2005, 01:36 PM
beno can not handle the press

Obstructed_View
10-14-2005, 01:48 PM
That statement is stupid on so many levels I'm shocked that even you would say it. Beno was doing the same thing up the court consistently and it was exploited as a result of film study. That's not exactly an uncorrectable error, and doesn't mean the guy can't dribble.

We all know that your bias knows bounds and has no shame. It certainly doesn't make you sound smarter.

Slo spurs fan
10-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Like every other ROOKIE can :rolleyes

hendrix
10-14-2005, 01:53 PM

Those damn reporters!! :lol

Slo spurs fan
10-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Those damn reporters!! :lol
:tu :lmao

ducks
10-14-2005, 02:04 PM
he did not handle the press well in the finals

what is wrong with pointing out a spur players weakness?????

some posters here are very sensitive

beno is a point guard some teams still need point guards
so if the spurs need to trade beno to get rid of rasho or nazr they will include him

look pop is cia
and he knows everyone say what beno did last year and wants to increase his value
he says things for a reason

Obstructed_View
10-14-2005, 02:32 PM
he did not handle the press well in the finals

what is wrong with pointing out a spur players weakness?????

some posters here are very sensitive

Saying "he did not handle the press well in the finals" is a far fucking cry from "he can not handle the press". A couple of turnovers in the playoffs by a rookie in the NBA Finals against a good defensive team isn't exactly a reason to give up on him.

beno is a point guard some teams still need point guards

The Spurs are a team they need point guards.

so if the spurs need to trade beno to get rid of rasho or nazr they will include him
I disagree. The Spurs aren't going to part with Beno just to dump a salary or to get something for Nazr's expiring contract unless they get something good in return. You are talking about him like he's a throwaway player, and you couldn't be more wrong. Nazr and Rasho are attractive to trade in their own right because they have size and skill. Rasho has a contract that might be problematic, so the Spurs might have to throw something in, but the Spurs wouldn't just let Beno go in order to dump Rasho's salary.

look pop is cia
and he knows everyone say what beno did last year and wants to increase his value
he says things for a reason
If he were trying to increase trade value for Beno he wouldn't refer to him as the number three point guard, he'd say that he was competing to start.

remingtonbo2001
10-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Sensitive....Maybe

Intellegent...Yes

Most of the "posters" in this forum try to avoid dumbass statements.
You might want to give it a try.

ducks
10-14-2005, 02:47 PM
so I am dumb thanks for informing me since I am dumb and do not know that

pjjrfan
10-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Against Boykins Beno got careless and he paid for it, but from that point on until the finals he played smarter and well. Against Hunter and the Pistons he definitly got rattled. The fact that Pop sat him after game 4 just shows that he lost confidence in him, and right now the thing Beno has to show Pop is that he is mentally tough to handle the "big games." He has to come out and play aggressive, smart and be fearless.

Obstructed_View
10-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Against Boykins Beno got careless and he paid for it, but from that point on until the finals he played smarter and well. Against Hunter and the Pistons he definitly got rattled. The fact that Pop sat him after game 4 just shows that he lost confidence in him, and right now the thing Beno has to show Pop is that he is mentally tough to handle the "big games." He has to come out and play aggressive, smart and be fearless.
Good point. He also has to prove that he's mentally tough enough to handle constant pressure from his coach. If he survives the trial by Serbian, he'll have much more value both to the Spurs and as trade bait.

sprrs
10-14-2005, 11:59 PM
I wouldn't wanna trade Beno anyway. . . remember hwo crappy it felt having no reliable point guards two seasons ago when Parker was injured?

Obstructed_View
10-15-2005, 02:21 AM
Sheehat. Remember Lloyd Daniels and Vinny Del Negro? I remember being excited when Cory Alexander was drafted. :lol