PDA

View Full Version : Aldridge Impact by the metrics..

spursistan
05-10-2017, 04:00 PM
"Second best player" on the team bottom-dwelling in about ever meaningful impact metrics..

https://i.imgur.com/XAGhKdq.jpg

TheDoctor
05-10-2017, 04:09 PM
Tim fucking Duncan having to cut-short his vacations give this big-boy-baby-hearted human being psychological therapy and counseling on how to approach the game when insecurities attack and how to play ball in certain situations :lol

GTFO :lol

Joseph Kony
05-10-2017, 04:12 PM
how is David Lee at #6 :wow

dabom
05-10-2017, 04:14 PM
What does OP think about LMA though. Let's see if he answers anything or just posts stats and twitts. :lol

Mr. Body
05-10-2017, 04:15 PM
I'm massively disappointed in him, yeah.

MultiTroll
05-10-2017, 04:20 PM
Aldridge could be a contributing role player on a Championship team.
CIA Numb Nutts is the one running the offense thru him.
Also having him *anchor* the paint for a good portion of games.

Chris
05-10-2017, 04:25 PM
He's going to have a monster game 6...I feel it in my bones.

TDomination
05-10-2017, 04:43 PM
I just wish he would just have the mindset that he needs to shoot no further than 4 feet from the basket. So when he's trying to get position in the post, he needs to be closer to the basket. And if he is further out, then either make a move right away or pass it up. Anytime he waits it seems to always result in a negative play.

DMX7
05-10-2017, 04:43 PM
How is Kyle Anderson number 4?

TheDoctor
05-10-2017, 04:45 PM

:lobt2:

DAF86
05-10-2017, 04:47 PM

He's the new Bonner.

DAF86
05-10-2017, 04:48 PM
Also, lol at that list after kawhi. :lol

dabom
05-10-2017, 04:52 PM

Human Cigar. If hes getting owned, he gets subbed out.

GSH
05-10-2017, 05:41 PM
I re-watched last night's game, and just keyed on LMA. I was trying to understand how a guy could put up 18 and 14, and I could still have a negative opinion of him. I figured that things probably look worse "in the heat of battle", when we're all worried about the game being on the line. Either that or maybe I could put my finger on what it is that bugs me so much about him.

He avoids contact like the plague. When someone is pushing on him, a lot of the time he just sort of goes where they want him to go. Like times I saw him on the weak side blocks, with a defender sort of leaning on him. He would just move away from them, toward the sideline. When he got far enough out of the play, they would release and cheat off him to go defend under the rim. The defender gets into the play around the rim, and eventually gets the rebound, and LMA is standing out in no-man's-land doing virtually nothing.

He also loafs a lot, on offense and on defense. The worst of that being when it's clear a shot is going up, or on loose ball situations. Instead of crashing the boards, or releasing to run the floor, he's too often just a spectator. There were times when a shot was going up that he just looked for an open space on the floor, and then waited to see if the ball came his way. A number of those 9 offensive boards he got just fell into his hands. He worked for some of them, no doubt. But even then, some of it was just being in the right place and then fighting for a ball that came his way.

The other big thing is that when he takes the ball in the post, he almost never makes a quick move to the basket. (When he gets the ball on a rebound, he tends to rush up a shot, but not when he takes a pass from a teammate.) Tim used to be a master at waiting for the double to come, and then passing out of it. Nobody has ever done that as well as Timmy, IMO, so we're all pretty spoiled. But LMA isn't worth a shit at seeing the double coming. It used to seem like Tim had eyes in the back of his head. LMA seems like he barely has eyes in the front of his head in those situations. Make it easy and say that he doesn't make the right pass out of the double team often, and he doesn't make the quick move to the basket before the double comes.

Aldridge is good at shooting fade-aways, or he wouldn't make so many of them. He's not good at rooting for position in the low blocks. He's not good at imposing his will in the low blocks. And he's not good at passing out of a double team. He moves away from contact, more often than he initiates it. He can do it - but most of the time he doesn't.

Bottom line, he's not Tim Duncan. He's not horrible - he's just not putting a team on his shoulders the way Tim used to.

GSH
05-10-2017, 05:42 PM
Human Cigar. If hes getting owned, he gets subbed out.

Human cigar. Damn that made me laugh. :lol

SAGirl
05-10-2017, 05:51 PM
"Second best player" on the team bottom-dwelling in about ever meaningful impact metrics..

https://i.imgur.com/XAGhKdq.jpg
heh guys pimping Davis and Murray. ^
lets wait until next season ok pls... ? thanks

Darius Bieber
05-10-2017, 05:53 PM
How the fuck is Pau #2?

And lmao at Bryn F:lolrbes above our second-option.

SAGirl
05-10-2017, 05:55 PM
I am thinking that he was great for Pop in the prior series where he went with some defensive challenged lineups with Tony, Mills and Lee, but they got hot, scored, and won a few games like that.
This series is not for Lee. He was obviously exploited in game 1 vs Rockets and has seen minutes decline. His share of minutes since then has gone down, but he still played a lot more vs Grizz... that is my guess for his numbers.

SAGirl
05-10-2017, 05:56 PM
How the fuck is Pau #2?

And lmao at Bryn F:lolrbes above our second-option.
Forbes... only 16 minutes.. strict garbage time. He did whatever he did in those minutes. Shot the ball well for the few shots he took, made some passes, was bad on defense, pretty much.

SAGirl
05-10-2017, 06:02 PM
He plays very little but has played well when he does. He's efficient with the shots he takes, etc.
He has also played a lot of garbage time lately where he has scored with no problem whatsoever and gotten a lot of assists in transition. Have you not watched the games tbh?

SAGirl
05-10-2017, 06:03 PM
I wish that for him tbh.
I don't mind at all if they guy all of a sudden increases his efficiency and blows his load next game.

tholdren
05-10-2017, 06:04 PM

how? cause bpm doesn't mean shit. look at Anderson in bpm and ws48. advanced stats are for assholes with no eye or mind for the game

SAGirl
05-10-2017, 06:26 PM
I re-watched last night's game, and just keyed on LMA. I was trying to understand how a guy could put up 18 and 14, and I could still have a negative opinion of him. I figured that things probably look worse "in the heat of battle", when we're all worried about the game being on the line. Either that or maybe I could put my finger on what it is that bugs me so much about him.

He avoids contact like the plague. When someone is pushing on him, a lot of the time he just sort of goes where they want him to go. Like times I saw him on the weak side blocks, with a defender sort of leaning on him. He would just move away from them, toward the sideline. When he got far enough out of the play, they would release and cheat off him to go defend under the rim. The defender gets into the play around the rim, and eventually gets the rebound, and LMA is standing out in no-man's-land doing virtually nothing.

He also loafs a lot, on offense and on defense. The worst of that being when it's clear a shot is going up, or on loose ball situations. Instead of crashing the boards, or releasing to run the floor, he's too often just a spectator. There were times when a shot was going up that he just looked for an open space on the floor, and then waited to see if the ball came his way. A number of those 9 offensive boards he got just fell into his hands. He worked for some of them, no doubt. But even then, some of it was just being in the right place and then fighting for a ball that came his way.

The other big thing is that when he takes the ball in the post, he almost never makes a quick move to the basket. (When he gets the ball on a rebound, he tends to rush up a shot, but not when he takes a pass from a teammate.) Tim used to be a master at waiting for the double to come, and then passing out of it. Nobody has ever done that as well as Timmy, IMO, so we're all pretty spoiled. But LMA isn't worth a shit at seeing the double coming. It used to seem like Tim had eyes in the back of his head. LMA seems like he barely has eyes in the front of his head in those situations. Make it easy and say that he doesn't make the right pass out of the double team often, and he doesn't make the quick move to the basket before the double comes.

Aldridge is good at shooting fade-aways, or he wouldn't make so many of them. He's not good at rooting for position in the low blocks. He's not good at imposing his will in the low blocks. And he's not good at passing out of a double team. He moves away from contact, more often than he initiates it. He can do it - but most of the time he doesn't.

Bottom line, he's not Tim Duncan. He's not horrible - he's just not putting a team on his shoulders the way Tim used to.
Thanks for sharing these observations. It shows you really observed him.
No one will really be Timmy... so I guess we have to appreciate what we have. It could be worse tbh.

UZER
05-10-2017, 06:52 PM

He isn't proactive on defense, he's reactive, even on rebounds. On the play that Gordon got the three late to put them up by five, he ran down the lane chasing harden. When harden passed out to anderson instead of anticipating a rotation swing to an open player, he waits till the ball is already almost in gordons hands and then is like "oh shit" and starts running out.

It's a fast play and may seem a little critical, but you've been playing this team for five full games. You should start picking up on tendencies and anticipating. It's the difference between second round exits and championships. He's always too late because he reacting. It's just screams of laziness.

Same thing with rebounds. There was a play late in the game where I forgot who shot it, but when the shot went up, Manu turned around, found Beverly and laid the wood to him blocking out. It wasn't so much "I'm getting this rebound" but more of "you aren't getting this damn rebound!". Again championship plays vs early exits.

What this really boils down to is heart and desire to sell out to win. Aldridge has come into camp twice...TWICE... overweight, and that's to his new team that just gave him a max contract. I'm done with this dude. The only thing that might give me slim hope is, if the spurs don't move him, he comes into camp next year ripped and ready to roll next year.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-10-2017, 07:08 PM
Seriously how the hell did LMA game 1 and 2 against OKC 2016 happen? How did it happen?

100%duncan
05-10-2017, 08:07 PM
Someone quote that Harlem post of LMA's game 5 yesterday and OKC's game 5 yesterday :lmao

GSH
05-10-2017, 08:16 PM
He isn't proactive on defense, he's reactive, even on rebounds. On the play that Gordon got the three late to put them up by five, he ran down the lane chasing harden. When harden passed out to anderson instead of anticipating a rotation swing to an open player, he waits till the ball is already almost in gordons hands and then is like "oh shit" and starts running out.

It's a fast play and may seem a little critical, but you've been playing this team for five full games. You should start picking up on tendencies and anticipating. It's the difference between second round exits and championships. He's always too late because he reacting. It's just screams of laziness.

You're right, he's late a lot. What I saw in that game was this last game was that sometimes he's late because he just reacts slowly - but a lot of the time, he's late because he's just too damned far out of the play, from getting pushed around. But the plays that really pissed me off was when he just didn't react at all. He's a damn spectator WAY too often. Loose balls and he just stands there. One play in particular, he stood while his man moved to the basket and got a dunk. He was still standing in the exact same spot he had been in.

Same thing with rebounds. There was a play late in the game where I forgot who shot it, but when the shot went up, Manu turned around, found Beverly and laid the wood to him blocking out. It wasn't so much "I'm getting this rebound" but more of "you aren't getting this damn rebound!". Again championship plays vs early exits.

I called that out in the game thread. Manu was boxing out, and staying with it instead of just making a pass and letting his guy go. Several of LMA's rebounds only happened because of Manu. He was doing the work that our bigs refuse to do, and that doesn't show up on a stat sheet. If Aldridge and Pau were boxing out worth a damn, this series would have looked a LOT different.

Spurtacular
05-10-2017, 09:55 PM

He's the consummate star for a 35 to 50 win team for a reason.

gospursgojas
05-10-2017, 10:01 PM
He also loafs a lot, on offense and on defense.

I don't know if anyone else noticed but on the final play where Manu blocked Harden, LMA lost Beverly (who was hot from 3 all night). Had Harden at a look, Beverly was open in the corner.

Robz4000
05-10-2017, 10:02 PM
Also, lol at that list after kawhi. :lol

This. Just can't take it seriously.

tholdren
05-10-2017, 10:06 PM
You're right, he's late a lot. What I saw in that game was this last game was that sometimes he's late because he just reacts slowly - but a lot of the time, he's late because he's just too damned far out of the play, from getting pushed around. But the plays that really pissed me off was when he just didn't react at all. He's a damn spectator WAY too often. Loose balls and he just stands there. One play in particular, he stood while his man moved to the basket and got a dunk. He was still standing in the exact same spot he had been in.

I called that out in the game thread. Manu was boxing out, and staying with it instead of just making a pass and letting his guy go. Several of LMA's rebounds only happened because of Manu. He was doing the work that our bigs refuse to do, and that doesn't show up on a stat sheet. If Aldridge and Pau were boxing out worth a damn, this series would have looked a LOT different.

reality is we need a pau injury so dedmon or bertans can play

SAGirl
05-10-2017, 10:29 PM
This. Just can't take it seriously.
The sample size is very small for some guys, specially those playing a lot of garbage time (KA and Forbes are in that group obviously, Bertans and Murray too).. but it's not as small for Lamarcus. It does represent the fact he's not playing that well out there.

UZER
05-10-2017, 10:41 PM

Aldridge engages, gets pushed out, and just tries to jump for the rebound all out of balance. It happens over and over. That's why guys can tip in shots so easily around him.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-10-2017, 11:41 PM
Spurs’ Aldridge explains challenges of facing smaller defender in low post:

HOUSTON — LaMarcus Aldridge finished with 18 points in the Spurs’ 110-107 overtime win over the Rockets in Game 5 on Tuesday, but critics say he should have had more with 6-foot-5 James Harden and other small foes defending him.

Aldridge, a power forward who stands 6-11, tried to explain what held him back.

“The whole gym feels like it should be easy, but the NBA is a lot different than it was back in the day,” he said. “If I put my shoulder in (Harden’s) chest, I’m going to get an offensive foul. It’s not as simple as it looks to be aggressive and not get the offensive foul. Of course, I would love to bang in there and go to the rim, but it’s not that simple.”

He said he can sense expectations rising among fans in the AT&T Center when he gets the ball down low against a smaller defender.

“For sure, because it’s a mismatch,” he said. “(But) the NBA’s different (now). If we make too much contact, it’s going to be an offensive foul. So you have to play smart.”
Spurs

Aldridge pointed out that it’s an entirely different feel for a big man when the defender he’s trying to back down is a smaller player.

“I’m not used to it,” he said. “I’m used to banging into a guy and kind of feeling where he is. With a guard, I have to walk it slow and not make contact.”

dabom
05-10-2017, 11:44 PM
:lol

dabom
05-10-2017, 11:45 PM
I understand what he is saying, but come on brah...

100%duncan
05-10-2017, 11:45 PM

HOUSTON — LaMarcus Aldridge finished with 18 points in the Spurs’ 110-107 overtime win over the Rockets in Game 5 on Tuesday, but critics say he should have had more with 6-foot-5 James Harden and other small foes defending him.

“The whole gym feels like it should be easy, but the NBA is a lot different than it was back in the day,” he said. “If I put my shoulder in (Harden’s) chest, I’m going to get an offensive foul. It’s not as simple as it looks to be aggressive and not get the offensive foul. Of course, I would love to bang in there and go to the rim, but it’s not that simple.”

He said he can sense expectations rising among fans in the AT&T Center when he gets the ball down low against a smaller defender.

“For sure, because it’s a mismatch,” he said. “(But) the NBA’s different (now). If we make too much contact, it’s going to be an offensive foul. So you have to play smart.”
Spurs

Aldridge pointed out that it’s an entirely different feel for a big man when the defender he’s trying to back down is a smaller player.

“I’m not used to it,” he said. “I’m used to banging into a guy and kind of feeling where he is. With a guard, I have to walk it slow and not make contact.”

Jesus :lol

Against the grizz he laid eggs as well

gospursgojas
05-10-2017, 11:46 PM

Spurs

:rolleyes

Hoops Czar
05-11-2017, 01:39 AM
heh guys pimping Davis and Murray. ^
lets wait until next season ok pls... ? thanks

:wow That's enough truth bombs out of you today.

jbspurs
05-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Was there a chance to land Horford at the time we signed Aldridge? Spurs team would have been better with Horford. He can pass, shoot 3's, play physical..

cutewizard
05-11-2017, 09:56 AM

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7MLT4MmAK8

cutewizard
05-11-2017, 09:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y_R7CBmDAE

UZER
05-11-2017, 10:11 AM

Spurs

If you do and they call on offensive foul, you come right back down and do it again. You make the refs to swallow their whistle. It's what the great one understand. Shaq would just do it over and over because he knew the refs were not going foul him out, or call it three times in a row. Sometimes you have to call their bluff and make them adjust to you.

Sheesh this dude is so mentally fragile.

Every time he checks out at home, I keep waiting for the boos to start. :lol

MultiTroll
05-11-2017, 10:27 AM
reality is we need a Pop injury so dedmon or bertans can play
fify

Chris
05-11-2017, 01:51 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7MLT4MmAK8

:tu :toast

ceperez
05-11-2017, 03:01 PM
Spurs got scammed by Aldridge. I'm sure he said all the right things when he was being recruited. Spurs blundered big time when it was obvious the game was changing.

boutons_deux
05-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Spurs got scammed by Aldridge. I'm sure he said all the right things when he was being recruited. Spurs blundered big time when it was obvious the game was changing.

Spurs were the pursuer, not the pursued.

Nathan89
05-11-2017, 03:12 PM

They pulled the trigger on Pau a year later. Spurs are so behind at the moment. This off season will tell us more.

Chris
05-11-2017, 09:22 PM

:toast

Slippy
05-12-2017, 06:20 AM

This is why you dont cherry pick advanced stats to make a point.

spurraider21
05-12-2017, 12:27 PM
Take that for data

dabom
05-12-2017, 12:35 PM
OP. :lol

SAGirl
05-12-2017, 12:37 PM

This is why you dont cherry pick advanced stats to make a point.
He had been playing very poorly on offense. Some games terrible. Did you forget he only had 4 points in game 1 of this series and was shooting/scoring very inefficiently all throughout the playoffs?
Don't pick a single game (Lamarcus' best game of the entire freaking season) to prove a point either.

that being said, I am glad the big man finally made shots.

Slippy
05-12-2017, 08:38 PM
He had been playing very poorly on offense. Some games terrible. Did you forget he only had 4 points in game 1 of this series and was shooting/scoring very inefficiently all throughout the playoffs?
Don't pick a single game (Lamarcus' best game of the entire freaking season) to prove a point either.

that being said, I am glad the big man finally made shots.

You missed the point. You telling me how it is by straightforward stats & your eye is fine. Pullin out a advanced metric to further a point is downright BS.