PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs end traveling show with third loss

Kori Ellis
10-14-2005, 01:39 AM
Spurs end traveling show with third loss
Web Posted: 10/14/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA101405.01C.Spurs.1d0c104e.html

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Eleven days and more than 5,200 miles later, the Tim Duncan Traveling All-Stars wrapped up their barnstorming tour and headed home, of all places.

The Spurs completed their travels Thursday night with a 95-91 exhibition loss to the Washington Wizards on Tim Duncan Day at Duncan's alma mater, Wake Forest.

University and city officials honored Duncan in a brief ceremony before the game. Highlights from his college and professional career were shown on the overhead scoreboard. Winston-Salem mayor Allen Joines presented Duncan with a key to the city, as well as a copy of the Tim Duncan Drive street sign that now hangs on Deacon Boulevard outside Joel Coliseum.

"My sister drove me here today, and as I turned down that road, she was like, 'Wait a second, did you see that?'" Duncan said. "It was fun to see, but it's a little weird."

Duncan, whose No. 21 jersey was already retired by the school, had not returned to Joel Coliseum since graduating with his degree in psychology.

"This is above and beyond anything I could have ever imagined," Duncan said. "I could never imagine nine years later I would be back full circle and have done what I've done."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich rested Robert Horry, Michael Finley and Nick Van Exel. Nazr Mohammed, who was back in San Antonio with his wife and newborn son, and Fabricio Oberto (sprained left ankle) also didn't play.

After 11 days on the road, the Spurs are looking forward to getting home. The team spent training camp in the U.S. Virgin Islands. On Wednesday, they played at the University of South Carolina, whose coach, Dave Odom, coached Duncan at Wake Forest.

"It was a whirlwind tour, kind of a trip down memory lane here," Duncan said. "But we have a long season ahead of us and I can't wait to get that started."

T Park
10-14-2005, 01:49 AM
the Tim Duncan Traveling All-Stars

Haha, cool name.

Supergirl
10-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Fabri sprained his ankle already? Is it serious?

Kori Ellis
10-14-2005, 10:19 AM
He injured it in the first game against Miami. He is supposed to be out a week.

ObiwanGinobili
10-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Fabri sprained his ankle already? Is it serious?

yeah. he sprained it in the game against Miami.
looks like he just rolled it wrong tho. i doubt it is serious. so far nothign about him being out for weeks on the news...so I'm htinking he should be OK for the opener on the 1st.

ObiwanGinobili
10-14-2005, 10:21 AM
ok. Kori is fast.

angel_luv
10-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Wonderful article! = )