PDA

View Full Version : Built Ford Tough

Kori Ellis
10-14-2005, 06:03 AM
Built Ford Tough
LAST UPDATE: 10/14/2005 5:59:54 AM
http://www.woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=E913A8E9-FC7C-4F4A-934D-1CB4BF8DE80F

http://cctvimedia.clearchannel.com/woai/sford002.jpg

By Kori Ellis
SpursZONE.com

Since winning their third championship in June, the San Antonio Spurs have had a busy set of months. Aiming to fortify their already talented group, Michael Finley, Nick Van Exel and Fabricio Oberto were brought aboard.

Flying under the radar and completely overshadowed by that trio is 23-year-old Sharrod Ford, who is trying to earn a roster spot with the team. Ford, who is used to being overlooked, has wowed coaches and teammates during training camp. His mixture of athleticism and refined big man skills has made a believer out of his new head coach.

"He's done a really good job," Gregg Popovich told the Express-News. "He's shown us he does have NBA talent."

To go along with that talent, Ford has shown a willingness to work at his craft. During his four years at Clemson where he never missed a game, Ford steadily improved. In his freshman season, he averaged 4.5 points and 3.6 rebounds and appeared in all 30 games for the Tigers. By his senior season, his averages had risen to 14.9 points and 8.2 rebounds per game.

Despite being named to the All ACC Third Team, Ford went undrafted. He played well in the Chicago pre-draft camp, but his lack of size hurt his stock. Measuring only a shade over 6-foot-8 in shoes and 213 pounds, most NBA teams believed he was too small to survive as a power forward in the league.

The Spurs took a chance on the hardworking forward and so far, it looks like it’s paying off. In his first three preseason games with the Spurs, Ford is averaging 9.0 points, 4.7 rebounds and 1.3 blocks in 19 minutes per contest.

“He definitely has the abilities to be in the league,” Popovich said, “and he’s going to make us think seriously about him.”

Cant_Be_Faded
10-14-2005, 06:05 AM
All ACC Third team isn't really all that. 6'8" with shoes? He'll be an asset for us at 3rd string power forward, but other than that, he's meat for the grinder.

xcoriate
10-14-2005, 06:49 AM
what are his chances as a SF?

TDMVPDPOY
10-14-2005, 07:03 AM
6'8 213punds only and he plays pf?? man he should change his game and play sf, then he be in the nba, ppl dont want another malik prototype

orhe
10-14-2005, 07:46 AM
Bowen 1.2b

ObiwanGinobili
10-14-2005, 08:17 AM
i'm really wishing I had not put my $$ on Jawad.

ChumpDumper
10-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Bo Outlaw has been in the league for 13 seasons with the same size and less skill.

Keep an open mind.

Kori Ellis
10-14-2005, 10:06 AM
6'8 213punds only and he plays pf?? man he should change his game and play sf, then he be in the nba, ppl dont want another malik prototype

He's 3 inches taller and 40 pounds lighter than Malik. No comparison.

coopdogg3
10-14-2005, 10:14 AM
I haven't been able to see him play, does he have the quickness to play SF? How does he play on the defensive end?

coopdogg3

sprrs
10-14-2005, 10:23 AM
I would prefer like to see Sanders make the team. At the moment we've got plenty of depth at the 4 and 5 spots, and Sanders could possibly be the replacement we've been looking for after Bowen retires.

Kori Ellis
10-14-2005, 10:24 AM
Sanders is probably too short to play SF in the NBA. But they might keep both of them on non-guaranteed contracts to start the season and see how it goes.

Kori Ellis
10-14-2005, 10:25 AM
I haven't been able to see him play, does he have the quickness to play SF? How does he play on the defensive end?

coopdogg3

He's quick and a good athlete. But he's got PF/C game. It would be a long-term (and maybe futile) project to try to switch him to SF, but it could happen.

sprrs
10-14-2005, 10:29 AM
I don't think he'd have to play SF per se, as long as he could handle the defensive load like Bowen does. Of course I geuss size is important, especially considering guarding someone like Chauncey Billups for example

j-6
10-14-2005, 01:42 PM
All ACC Third team isn't really all that.

http://theacc.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030705aai.html

You sure about that?

First Team (First-Team Votes)
J.J. Redick, Duke (121) 363: returned to Duke
Chris Paul, WF (113) 355: HORNETS (1:4)
Sean May, UNC (111) 353: BOBCATS (1:13)
Shelden Williams, Duke (111) 353: returned to Duke
Raymond Felton, UNC (82) 311: BOBCATS (1:5)
* unanimous 1st-team

Second Team
Guillermo Diaz, Miami (19) 243, returned to Miami
Julius Hodge, NCSU (22) 227, NUGGETS (1:20)
Eric Williams, WF (7) 222, returned to Wake
Jarrett Jack, GT (9) 200, BLAZERS (1:22)
Justin Gray, WF (2) 184, returned to Wake

Third Team
Rashad McCants, UNC (7) 170, T'WOLVES (1:14)
Sharrod Ford, Clemson (1) 131, undrafted, signed by Spurs
Nik Caner-Medley, Maryland (0) 110, returned to Maryland
Daniel Ewing, Duke (0) 102, CLIPPERS (2:32)
Jawad Williams, UNC (0) 83, undrafted, signed with Spurs

Marcus Bryant
10-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Bo Outlaw has been in the league for 13 seasons with the same size and less skill.

Keep an open mind.

Indeed. The ability to play is paramount. Another guy the size of Ford who made it in the NBA as a 4 was...Dennis Rodman.

People worry too much about whether a player's body fits the prototypical size and weight for a given position.

ro_50
10-14-2005, 02:27 PM
I've seen him play in college throughout the years and he played center for Oliver Purnell, who came aboard at Clemson as head coach before his junior year.

Ford doenst have a small forward's game and he's better down low, despite his frame.

Mr_MVP21
10-14-2005, 09:49 PM
As long as Ford hustles on both offense and defense he can be a valuable commodity.

sandman
10-14-2005, 09:57 PM
As long as Ford hustles on both offense and defense he can be a valuable commodity.

And if he ends up being that guy who is undersized for his inside skills, I'm sure that Zeke would trade a first round pick for him in a heartbeat! :lol

Solid D
10-14-2005, 10:04 PM
I've seen him play in college throughout the years and he played center for Oliver Purnell, who came aboard at Clemson as head coach before his junior year.

Ford doenst have a small forward's game and he's better down low, despite his frame.

He's a post player, no doubt about it.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Another article:

Clemson's Ford gets shot with NBA champions

PETE IACOBELLI

Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. - On long afternoon walks Olympic assistants Oliver Purnell and Gregg Popovich took during the U.S. team's training camp in 2003 and 2004, Clemson's coach slipped in a plug or two to the San Antonio Spurs' leader about the Tigers' top player, Sharrod Ford.

"We're together for practically two months each summer, walking every day, talking about basketball," Purnell recalled, "so it's hard to not mention Sharrod during those four months."

Popovich paid attention. The defending NBA champions signed the 6-foot-9 Ford, Clemson's leading scorer and rebounder last year, as a free agent. So far, Ford has gotten a chance to show his talent and live out his NBA dream.

He played against Miami's Shaquille O'Neal and Philadelphia's Allen Iverson. Ford posed for pictures with friends and fans after Wednesday night's game with the 76ers in Columbia.

"It is kind of crazy," Ford said. "Sometimes I'm still kind of star-struck. We were playing Miami, I was, 'Wow, I'm playing against Shaq.'"

Still, Ford has held his own in the view of his current and former coaches - and his new teammate and NBA superstar Tim Duncan.

"He's a heck of a talented guy," Duncan says. "He's got so many skills. He's long and lanky. He contests every shot. He's played great throughout camp. He's got a future."

Ford has averaged 20 minutes in San Antonio's three preseason losses with 9 points and nearly 5 rebounds a game.

Popovich says Ford has more than lived up to what he heard from Purnell. "He's shown us he does have NBA talent," Popovich said.

Ford had 13 points in 25 minutes Thursday night against Washington, making four of five shots, grabbing six rebounds and blocking two shots.

His worst outing was the one in Columbia. Ford made only one basket in seven tries and missed a shot that got some South Carolina fans going with the familiar "Air-Ball" chant.

Popovich likes Ford's speed getting down court and his knack for defense. His lean build and tenacity at grabbing rebounds are also assets, the Spurs coach said.

No matter how Ford plays, it's nearly impossible to stick with the talent-rich Spurs, already packed with front-line standouts such as Duncan, Robert Horry, Nazr Mohammed and Rasho Nesterovic.

Still, after talking more recently with Popovich and others, Purnell said likes Ford's chances "because of the skills set he brings to the table.

"This is not an easy team to make, but he's played well. ... He's got a real good shot," the Clemson coach said.

During a second-quarter timeout Wednesday, Duncan rushed off the bench to stop Ford and discuss positioning. Duncan and Horry have done that throughout the preseason, Ford said.

Ford knows his task is a big one, so he plans to keep working as hard as possible at every practice in every game. "You want to go out there and leave all your effort on the floor," he said. "You don't want to make any mistakes."

That can be daunting for any young player, Popovich said. An NBA team's system will be quicker and more complex than the college game, and Ford is trying to learn San Antonio's as fast as he can.

"He's trying to do what's asked of him and display his wares," Popovich said.

Ford has found virtually everything in the pro game is harder than college, he says - players are faster, forwards are taller and anybody can hit open shots from almost anywhere. The hardest thing for him in the pros has been the defensive intensity required at all times. "But I think I'm doing pretty well," he said.

But whenever Ford has questions, "I go to Tim or Robert," he says. "Those guys have been real helpful."

That advice is sure to aid Ford no matter what happens with the Spurs.

"As he gains confidence and understanding of the NBA game, he's going to find a place in the league," Popovich said. "It may be with us, it may be with somebody else - I don't know yet, but he'll find a place."

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/12904952.htm

Brutalis
10-15-2005, 03:31 PM
Built Ford tough?

Way to curse him there.