PDA

View Full Version : POP = GOAT

DMC
05-11-2017, 10:22 PM
:pop: This we know..

He's proven it yet again in spades. Pop gets role players to play like superstars in big games. I don't know how he's the only guy in the league who can do that on a fairly consistent basis. Now he he could just play the young guys more...

weebo
05-11-2017, 10:23 PM
:bobo

PopTheGOAT
05-11-2017, 10:23 PM
Checking in :pop:

ElNono
05-11-2017, 10:26 PM
Still hate the fact that it took injuries to force his hand, tbh... guys like Simms, Murray could've had a larger role before, IMO...

Not complaining with the result though...

Silver&Black
05-11-2017, 10:29 PM
It's easy to talk about Pop's 5 rings, 20 straight playoff appearances, and 10 WCF appearances.

But, my favorite thing about Pop is watching all the "others" contribute. He just develops players better than any other head coach today. Take LDN for the easiest example. Or Patty Mills. The list of players that immediately got better under Pop is a mile long.

dabom
05-11-2017, 10:29 PM
Still hate the fact that it took injuries to force his hand, tbh... guys like Simms, Murray could've had a larger role before, IMO...

:lol

DMC
05-11-2017, 10:45 PM
http://d2s3dt9f4iyeup.cloudfront.net/images/standard_v1/0116b369-4d4b-460a-a826-83c5bf809679.jpg

sananspursfan21
05-11-2017, 10:47 PM
To Pop :toast

Now, I'm going to write down every username on here for referencing next time I see Pop bashing or see the word "popsucker"

r0drig0lac
05-12-2017, 05:48 AM
It's easy to talk about Pop's 5 rings, 20 straight playoff appearances, and 10 WCF appearances.

But, my favorite thing about Pop is watching all the "others" contribute. He just develops players better than any other head coach ever. Take LDN for the easiest example. Or Patty Mills. The list of players that immediately got better under Pop is a mile long.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-12-2017, 05:54 AM
Unlike the previous two playoff runs this time Pop's been at his absolute best, despite some of the bitching here.

He's had 10 different players start, 11 players with 10+ minutes per game, he's adjusted accordingly, he's changed and swapped roles, he's not panicked or overreacted to anything. Even in his best years he'd often matched up to the opponent and overreacted to nuances but not this time, he's had a plan for everything and has taken some very questionable and brave decisions like David Lee on ZBo, Patty-Tony back court, staying big against the Rockets, etc. and it's worked brilliantly. Credit where it's due.

Brazil
05-12-2017, 07:24 AM
Nice to see for once a thread about Pop not calling him out but giving him props

Pop is and has been the best coach for 2 decades now...

Brazil
05-12-2017, 07:25 AM

:cry but but Pop has lost it, is desinterested, he does not give a shit anymore :cry

TampaDude
05-12-2017, 07:42 AM
Pop is just trolling us...and the NBA...

MultiTroll
05-12-2017, 07:42 AM

Concur.

I will get started for this groups gathering.
http://www.food.com/recipe/old-fashioned-home-made-english-crumpets-for-tea-time-421076

rjv
05-12-2017, 09:49 AM
:cry but but Pop has lost it, is desinterested, he does not give a shit anymore :cry yes, the ST creed. still kills me that so many ST posters still hold on to the belief that pop sucks as a coach.

Play Boban
05-12-2017, 09:53 AM
MVPop tbh... :bobo

wildbill2u
05-12-2017, 10:36 AM
All those posters who complained all year about Pop not letting Kwahi play 40 minutes or about the rotations of the bench into games ought to apologize. They guy is a great coach because he develops his bench with on the court minutes all year in all games, not just blow outs. And the result is a happy team and a team that is ready to play from 1-15 on the roster.

http://www.nba.com/video/2017/05/11/20170511-gametime-gm6-analysis-sas-hou?cid=EMA_NBA_daily

ElNono
05-12-2017, 12:12 PM
:cry but but Pop has lost it, is desinterested, he does not give a shit anymore :cry

:lol People has called him the GOAT coach in that very same thread, the reality is that if TP and KL don't get injured, we go with that ship and even maybe go down with that ship. The injuries made him have to actually coach and play Simms, DJ, etc on a closeout game on the road, and they responded. I'm glad they did, it just sucks it took two major injuries to force his hand and get him interested...

Dex
05-12-2017, 12:24 PM
http://d2s3dt9f4iyeup.cloudfront.net/images/standard_v1/0116b369-4d4b-460a-a826-83c5bf809679.jpg

Goddamn, I bet Pringles wakes up in a cold sweat at night thinking about Pop.

Horse
05-12-2017, 12:26 PM
I wanna see what he has in store for the worriers. I feel like Pop and the Spurs have waited 3 yrs to get a crack at these fucks.

DMC
05-12-2017, 12:30 PM
Goddamn, I bet Pringles wakes up in a cold sweat at night thinking about Pop.

"I mean, usually we get that in the first half, I can't explain it. We just didn't play well. We just didn't have that pop." -Pringles

:pop: "Well... bye"

Brazil
05-12-2017, 12:43 PM
:lol People has called him the GOAT coach in that very same thread, the reality is that if TP and KL don't get injured, we go with that ship and even maybe go down with that ship. The injuries made him have to actually coach and play Simms, DJ, etc on a closeout game on the road, and they responded. I'm glad they did, it just sucks it took two major injuries to force his hand and get him interested...

dat subtle tho

you create one or two threads a year to call Pop done, desinterested... Pop just went through Houston without his PG, without his star player for last game and you are still in the backhanded compliment business...smh

:lol at your forced his hand...

You called him done few weeks ago like you do every season since probably 2013... but yet you see Pop yelling at everybody on the team except Kawhi, Parker and Manu (:lol losing fire) without losing his team. He still gets players trust and commitment, same players that have been yelled at gave Spurs a win by 40 away !

Pop did not lose fire neither love for bb or his team, Pop is the best coach in the NBA for two decades and there is no sign of him retiring anytime soon

ElNono
05-12-2017, 01:00 PM
dat subtle tho

you create one or two threads a year to call Pop done, desinterested... Pop just went through Houston without his PG, without his star player for last game and you are still in the backhanded compliment business...smh

You called him done few weeks ago like you do every season since probably 2013... but yet you see Pop yelling at everybody on the team except Kawhi, Parker and Manu (:lol losing fire) without losing his team. He still gets players trust and commitment, same players that have been yelled at gave Spurs a win by 40 away !

Pop did not lose fire neither love for bb or his team, Pop is the best coach in the NBA for two decades and there is no sign of him retiring anytime soon

:lol don't be paranoid, no subtles. I rather have Tony available than not, same obviously with Kawhi.

I created that thread after the OKC series last season, IIRC, and I think the point is still valid. The criticism isn't that he's not a good coach, but that he's lost the motivation and that he's too stubborn to change until it's too late in a series. And until further notice, the point stands, tbh. In this particular series, the changes were forced by injury, that's a fact.

He should absolutely get all the credit for coaching the guys that came in and responded, and for giving them confidence throughout the season. But I'm not sold he makes these changes if injuries don't happen.

Furthermore, I had the team with a WCF ceiling, so I have no complains about this team or Pop now if they fall to the Dubs. IMO, this season, mission accomplished.

SAGirl
05-12-2017, 01:04 PM

He would have needed to bench and reduce roles further to Manu and Tony.
You know how Pop feels about that.
They wouldn't have come to matter if it wasn't for Tony's injury and Manu looking done pretty much except a couple of playoff games.
TBFH

SAGirl
05-12-2017, 01:08 PM
Unlike the previous two playoff runs this time Pop's been at his absolute best, despite some of the bitching here.

He's had 10 different players start, 11 players with 10+ minutes per game, he's adjusted accordingly, he's changed and swapped roles, he's not panicked or overreacted to anything. Even in his best years he'd often matched up to the opponent and overreacted to nuances but not this time, he's had a plan for everything and has taken some very questionable and brave decisions like David Lee on ZBo, Patty-Tony back court, staying big against the Rockets, etc. and it's worked brilliantly. Credit where it's due.
Agreed.
He has made more adjustments this playoff run than any of the prior two seasons.
He has started different guys, tweaked defenses, given more minutes or less depending on who was playing better, etc.
He has had it so far. He still threw a couple of playoff games early, but he got out of that whatever he wanted (whether it was rest for his guys as some of them were not 100%, to anger them, or experience for his younger players in those losses, which has payed off in game 6 Rockets series).
Good and encouraging to see.

quentin_compson
05-12-2017, 01:11 PM
Game 6 was a masterclass in tactics from Pop. Overall, we saw a lot of adjustments from him in this series, and most of them worked.

SAGirl
05-12-2017, 01:12 PM
Sentence I bolded is the truth
also TobefreakingHonest. (TBFH)
I'll add anderson though you don't care for him. He also helped.

DMC
05-12-2017, 01:20 PM
:lol don't be paranoid, no subtles. I rather have Tony available than not, same obviously with Kawhi.

I created that thread after the OKC series last season, IIRC, and I think the point is still valid. The criticism isn't that he's not a good coach, but that he's lost the motivation and that he's too stubborn to change until it's too late in a series. And until further notice, the point stands, tbh. In this particular series, the changes were forced by injury, that's a fact.

He should absolutely get all the credit for coaching the guys that came in and responded, and for giving them confidence throughout the season. But I'm not sold he makes these changes if injuries don't happen.

Furthermore, I had the team with a WCF ceiling, so I have no complains about this team or Pop now if they fall to the Dubs. IMO, this season, mission accomplished.

Pop isn't without his peccadillos, but what other team in the league could have done what the Spurs did to Houston, given the injuries? Maybe Golden State, maybe. Their bench sometimes plays pretty damn good, but not 40pt smashing level good.

Hoops Czar
05-12-2017, 01:29 PM
And all it took was for Harden and the Rockets to play like shit. Well done Pop on your so-called GOAT title because you would have been destroyed for the 3rd year in a row had the Spurs lost this series

Hoops Czar
05-12-2017, 01:30 PM
dat subtle tho

:wow

ElNono
05-12-2017, 01:31 PM
He would have needed to bench and reduce roles further to Manu and Tony.
You know how Pop feels about that.
They wouldn't have come to matter if it wasn't for Tony's injury and Manu looking done pretty much except a couple of playoff games.
TBFH

Well, that's the point.

Pop isn't without his peccadillos, but what other team in the league could have done what the Spurs did to Houston, given the injuries? Maybe Golden State, maybe. Their bench sometimes plays pretty damn good, but not 40pt smashing level good.

Nobody. Pop is the kind of guy that the bigger, more gargantuan challenge it is, the better responds. That's the fire we're talking about. It's what I mentioned in that thread. That 2013 choke got him in tip top shape to coach the next season. I'm sure he didn't just told Simms "you're staring" and nothing else. He sat down, and coached what he wanted from him, same with DJ, Kyle, etc.

Also, I rather take the whole series than just last game, simply because as Pop himself said, that game, realistically, was an aberration. The Spurs are not THAT good, and the Rockets don't suck THAT badly.The Spurs were absolutely ready and were the better team, but it's difficult to argue they're 40 points better on a consistent basis.

rjv
05-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Sentence I bolded is the truth
also TobefreakingHonest. (TBFH)
I'll add anderson though you don't care for him. He also helped. but what people seem to leave out of their pop bashing arguments is the very fact that he creates contingency plans during the season. pop uses the regular season as one would a laboratory. there's a reason his bench is able to perform at a high level when there is a contingency that emerges during the playoffs; pop has prepared his team for those moments. media talking heads blast him for resting the "stars" all the while ignoring the fact that when pop "rests' his players he is also prepping his team. the media should laud him for this because he is enhancing the product rather than diluting it to just a showcase for the stars. that is what makes pop the brilliant coach that he is.

DMC
05-12-2017, 01:39 PM
Well, that's the point.

Nobody. Pop is the kind of guy that the bigger, more gargantuan challenge it is, the better responds. That's the fire we're talking about. It's what I mentioned in that thread. That 2013 choke got him in tip top shape to coach the next season. I'm sure he didn't just told Simms "you're staring" and nothing else. He sat down, and coached what he wanted from him, same with DJ, Kyle, etc.

Also, I rather take the whole series than just last game, simply because as Pop himself said, that game, realistically, was an aberration. The Spurs are not THAT good, and the Rockets don't suck THAT badly.The Spurs were absolutely ready and were the better team, but it's difficult to argue they're 40 points better on a consistent basis.

Right, so coaching isn't just about substitutions and lineups. It's more about development (after all, that's what a coach really is, a player developer). I also believe Pop would have gone down with Tony and Kawhi if that was occurring, but Pop is the VERY ONE who pulled the starters in the Memphis series and inserted the bench, and caught SHIT about it here as if he gave the game away.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. You can start anyone, but you damn well better have a reason. After the fact results aren't good enough reasons to justify the decision, just like saying "well, he hit from half court so it was a good shot to take" isn't sensible.

Hoops Czar
05-12-2017, 01:42 PM

OH, so he's a GOAT coach by default because no coach in their right mind would ever sit their starting PG and super star SF in an important playoff game to play their role players if they didn't half to. Iirc and I think I do, Pop did the same thing against Memphis 1 minute into the third quarter of a playoff game and the players didn't respond.

Moral of your story.... Pop plays role players and they play well, Pop is a GOAT. Pop plays role players and they don't play well, Pop is a chump.

ElNono
05-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Right, so coaching isn't just about substitutions and lineups. It's more about development (after all, that's what a coach really is, a player developer). I also believe Pop would have gone down with Tony and Kawhi if that was occurring, but Pop is the VERY ONE who pulled the starters in the Memphis series and inserted the bench, and caught SHIT about it here as if he gave the game away.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. You can start anyone, but you damn well better have a reason. After the fact results aren't good enough reasons to justify the decision, just like saying "well, he hit from half court so it was a good shot to take" isn't sensible.

Well, that comes with the territory. If you ask a clown like Fabbs who is better between Pau and Dedmon, he'll probably take Dedmon every time. :lol

Despite that Pau was instrumental in changing this series. That's why when people bitch about playing "the best players", that's really relative. My main knock on Pop is that he would rather play a banged up vet than roll with some of the kids, even when it's visible that's not working (more than a game). Like he should get credit for adjusting Lee out of this series progressively, that was something I thought he wouldn't do. And by rolling with some of the kids, I mean not emptying the bench when we're down 20.

Again, you look at some of this stuff in hindsight, and while Simms has been erratic, he should've gotten a little more consistent playing time early in the Memphis series, IMO. Just an example.

ElNono
05-12-2017, 01:48 PM
OH, so he's a GOAT coach by default because no coach in their right mind would ever sit their starting PG and super star SF in an important playoff game to play their role players if they didn't half to. Iirc and I think I do, Pop did the same thing against Memphis 1 minute into the third quarter of a playoff game and the players didn't respond.

Moral of your story.... Pop plays role players and they play well, Pop is a GOAT. Pop plays role players and they don't play well, Pop is a chump.

No, actually people called him the GOAT in that thread last year, playing with the starting PG, star SF and even after losing that series. His capability as a coach is not in discussion, his underlying motivation is.

SAGirl
05-12-2017, 01:51 PM
but what people seem to leave out of their pop bashing arguments is the very fact that he creates contingency plans during the season. pop uses the regular season as one would a laboratory. there's a reason his bench is able to perform at a high level when there is a contingency that emerges during the playoffs; pop has prepared his team for those moments. media talking heads blast him for resting the "stars" all the while ignoring the fact that when pop "rests' his players he is also prepping his team. the media should laud him for this because he is enhancing the product rather than diluting it to just a showcase for the stars. that is what makes pop the brilliant coach that he is.
I do acknowledge and kind of like how he has played the young guys through the season whenever opportunity arose and given chances to everyone. It's really in the playoffs the past few postseasons (really since 2014), where i had not seen him really make an adjustment. Playing the guys through the regular season if they aren't going to be given opportunities in the postseason seems pointless... specially if he's going home early (which the team did in 2015 and 2016).

I do agree with Nono... Pop's hand was forced. It's to be commended that he got the most out of his young roleplayers and had them ready to play, not daunted by the situation, etc... but he wouldn't have done that unless he had to. I am happy the team advanced and I do give Pop credit for having young guys/out of the rotation guys ready to play and compete. :tu

gambit1990
05-12-2017, 01:52 PM

Hoops Czar
05-12-2017, 02:02 PM
No, actually people called him the GOAT in that thread last year, playing with the starting PG, star SF and even after losing that series. His capability as a coach is not in discussion, his underlying motivation is.
Don't embarrass yourself any further. Pop wouldn't be coaching if he wasn't motivated to do so. Duncan was the GOAT and without him, Pop probably doesn't survive 1999. And what happens when you sit the GOAT in the final seconds of game 6 of the NBA finals in 2013, you lose the game and the series. What happens when the GOAT shows notable signs of regression starting in 2015? The Spurs lose in two first round exits (Memphis was a first round bye).

As for the people who called him a GOAT coach last year, why don't you show me that invisible thread. I can't seem to find it.

ElNono
05-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Don't embarrass yourself any further. Pop wouldn't be coaching if he wasn't motivated to do so. Duncan was the GOAT and without him, Pop probably doesn't survive 1999. And what happens when you sit the GOAT in the final seconds of game 6 of the NBA finals in 2013, you lose the game and the series. What happens when the GOAT shows notable signs of regression starting in 2015? The Spurs lose in two first round exits (Memphis was a first round bye).

As for the people who called him a GOAT coach last year, why don't you show me that invisible thread. I can't seem to find it.

brah, here's the thread/post:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260234&p=8581927&viewfull=1#post8581927

And we're in the WCF without GOAT Tim, GOAT Kawhi and TP... so there's no doubt that when the challenge is huge, Pop is up there as far as game-planning. My regret, which I pointed out in this thread, is that it took two major injuries to force his hand and raise the challenge level, get him interested in coaching the young guys and give them free reign.

Hoops Czar
05-12-2017, 03:01 PM
brah, here's the thread/post:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260234&p=8581927&viewfull=1#post8581927

And we're in the WCF without GOAT Tim, GOAT Kawhi and TP... so there's no doubt that when the challenge is huge, Pop is up there as far as game-planning. My regret, which I pointed out in this thread, is that it took two major injuries to force his hand and raise the challenge level, get him interested in coaching the young guys and give them free reign.

There's a ton of hate in that thread. :lol Of course Spurs homers are going to call Pop the greatest coach of all time, that's what they do. That's their shtick. Some of those posters are the same one's that think Kawhi is better than Lebron. The fact of the matter is Pop's had to get creative over the last few years, something he rarely had to do when he had a prime TD, TP and Manu running the offense and solidifying the defense. His in game coaching decisions didn't matter as much. Pop's in game creativity has mostly sucked except for the few times where players played over their heads and the team won. Then, he was a genius. The Spurs lost to OKC last year because they failed time and time again at adjusting to OKC's in game adjustments. The series was over when Donovan made one simple adjustment by putting Adams on LMA. Then, the GOAT ran his rotations like a coach with his head chopped off in an elimination game because he didn't have answers for anything OKC was doing. You call this lack of motivation and not caring. I call this getting p'wned.

Pop's game planning late in games has been very poor over the years until just recently when he decided to put the ball in Kawhi's hands. I also find it quite odd that you call him a GOAT coach in one breathe and in another you say "it took two major injuries to force his hand and raise the challenge level, get him interested in coaching the young guys and give them free reign." In other words, he had no choice but to play his young guys and he literally backed into something that worked. That doesn't make you a GOAT coach.

For the record, I think Pop is a very good coach but I can't think of a series where he's actually won that his team wasn't suppose to. I can think of plenty where he lost when his team was suppose to win. If he wants to be GOAT coach, he needs to beat a team in a series where the Spurs are expected to lose. He'll be a GOAT coach if he beats GS otherwise, he's going to have to settle for very good.

ElNono
05-12-2017, 03:07 PM
There's a ton of hate in that thread. :lol Of course Spurs homers are going to call Pop the greatest coach of all time, that's what they do. That's their shtick. Some of those posters are the same one's that think Kawhi is better than Lebron. The fact of the matter is Pop's had to get creative over the last few years, something he rarely had to do when he had a prime TD, TP and Manu running the offense and solidifying the defense. His in game coaching decisions didn't matter as much. Pop's in game creativity has mostly sucked except for the few times where players played over their heads and the team won. Then, he was a genius. The Spurs lost to OKC last year because they failed time and time again at adjusting to OKC's in game adjustments. The series was over when Donovan made one simple adjustment by putting Adams on LMA. Then, the GOAT ran his rotations like a coach with his head chopped off in an elimination game because he didn't have answers for anything OKC was doing. You call this lack of motivation and not caring. I call this getting p'wned.

Pop's game planning late in games has been very poor over the years until just recently when he decided to put the ball in Kawhi's hands. I also find it quite odd that you call him a GOAT coach in one breathe and in another you say "it took two major injuries to force his hand and raise the challenge level, get him interested in coaching the young guys and give them free reign." In other words, he had no choice but to play his young guys and he literally backed into something that worked. That doesn't make you a GOAT coach.

For the record, I think Pop is a very good coach but I can't think of a series where he's actually won that his team wasn't suppose to. I can think of plenty where he lost when his team was suppose to win. If he wants to be GOAT coach, he needs to beat a team in a series where the Spurs are expected to lose. He'll be a GOAT coach if he beats GS otherwise, he's going to have to settle for very good.

Even Phil Jackson, who IMO is up there with Pop, lost to the D'Antoni Suns in the 1st round with Kobe, Odom, etc. That doesn't make him a bad coach, tbh, even if it was a series "that he was meant to win", whatever that means.

I think Pop's stubbornness has cost the Spurs some series, and as DMC said, nobody is immune from screwing up here or there. In this league, though, it's hard to argue he's one of the best, if not the best in the business. Especially among active coaches.

05-12-2017, 03:13 PM
:lol People has called him the GOAT coach in that very same thread, the reality is that if TP and KL don't get injured, we go with that ship and even maybe go down with that ship. The injuries made him have to actually coach and play Simms, DJ, etc on a closeout game on the road, and they responded. I'm glad they did, it just sucks it took two major injuries to force his hand and get him interested...this.

Pop is still the same stubborn old bastard drunk we know him to be.

05-12-2017, 03:26 PM
Pop isn't without his peccadillos, but what other team in the league could have done what the Spurs did to Houston, given the injuries? Maybe Golden State, maybe. Their bench sometimes plays pretty damn good, but not 40pt smashing level good.I'd lean towards giving the players more credit than pop. They showed up and played great. He looks like a genius because they won, but he was still playing garbage ass David Lee.

A couple years ago the Rockets made a huge comeback because McHale benched Harden and trusted his bench guys to win the game, yet didn't get any credit for it.

Pop was forced to trust his bench guys, but let's not forget Pop wouldn't bench parker in 2015 or 2016, or Manu in 2013.

This series hasn't done much for Pop's legacy, positive or negative.

Hoops Czar
05-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Even Phil Jackson, who IMO is up there with Pop, lost to the D'Antoni Suns in the 1st round with Kobe, Odom, etc. That doesn't make him a bad coach, tbh, even if it was a series "that he was meant to win", whatever that means.

I think Pop's stubbornness has cost the Spurs some series, and as DMC said, nobody is immune from screwing up here or there. In this league, though, it's hard to argue he's one of the best, if not the best in the business. Especially among active coaches.

Phil's overrated as hell and that Lakers team was dreadful. :lol My counter argument would be if the Spurs hired Carlisle to coach in 1999 to present instead of Pop, the Spurs probably have a few more titles to talk about. But since this forum views everything in black and white, it's easy to gloss over the fact that just because coach A has more championships than coach B, it doesn't make him better. This is a players league and if you have superior talent, more often than not, you're going to win. Tyron Lue isn't a great coach by any stretch (maybe a little below average) but he has Lebron James and a ring. You could literally replace Steve Kerr with a washing machine and the Warriors would still be heavy favorites to win the NBA championship.

kjhip1
05-12-2017, 03:37 PM
If Pop can get this team to win this series against golden state, his legendary status gets to a point where he untouchable. He has revolutionized the game with his changes to the game as well as how he deals with athletes. But to take on a team that is heavily favored and we are not eve given a chance....if somehow we pull this out I will never say a bad thing about him again

ElNono
05-12-2017, 03:46 PM
Phil's overrated as hell and that Lakers team was dreadful. :lol My counter argument would be if the Spurs hired Carlisle to coach in 1999 to present instead of Pop, the Spurs probably have a few more titles to talk about. But since this forum views everything in black and white, it's easy to gloss over the fact that just because coach A has more championships than coach B, it doesn't make him better. This is a players league and if you have superior talent, more often than not, you're going to win. Tyron Lue isn't a great coach by any stretch (maybe a little below average) but he has Lebron James and a ring. You could literally replace Steve Kerr with a washing machine and the Warriors would still be heavy favorites to win the NBA championship.

But the Dubs did have a gimmicky coach before Kerr, with pretty much the same top talent, and never had this kind of success. So, you know, it's ok to shit on Kerr now that he put together the final product, but he should get recognized for punching the right buttons, even after that 3-1 choke.

illusioNtEk
05-12-2017, 03:50 PM
Never doubt him again ever.

ErnestLynch
05-12-2017, 03:51 PM
:pop: This we know..

He's proven it yet again in spades. Pop gets role players to play like superstars in big games. I don't know how he's the only guy in the league who can do that on a fairly consistent basis. Now he he could just play the young guys more...

Ahh, he's had his bad moments. I think even he would dispute that claim. Understand, the Spurs bread and butter to a large degree is 'role players'. A meaningless term invented by some fool at ESPN. Spurs have always valued depth. Largely out of necessity and being the victims of their own success.

ErnestLynch
05-12-2017, 03:55 PM
Never doubt him again ever.

Until the next time you go, WHAT THE FUCK IS POP DOING !!??!!??

Heard it before. We all have, many times. Here and on ESPN etc. It could be argued, and is, that pop has cost the Spurs a ring...or two here and there. Shall we dance ? Don't get me wrong but RC is the genius behind this operation. THAT dude has a knack for finding talent like nobodies bidness.

Pop, love him, great coach. But the Spurs were a 5-peat team that just...blew it. And we're not talking that 1st Miami series. Pop has had his fuckups...but that doesn't degrade what he's done it just keeps him out of 'best ever'. Elite, yes. Top...4 all time. The no repeat, with what he had at the time, and the opposition...and not repeat?

Best ever ain't in that conversation. Again, love him but I admit...I also have a bit of not loving him. If I saw him in an elevator I'd probably say, 'WHAT THE FUCK, DUDE...' Then take a selfie with him, give him a hug....all against his will...and call it a day.

rjv
05-12-2017, 04:16 PM
of course, one has to be willing to accept that the ONLY reason simmons, KA or DJ got any time was due to the injuries. it is possible simmons would have still seen the same amount of time. then there is the other reality we don't get to see where pop defers to DJ but TP is healthy and the result turns out to be a poor one. in that case, would those who argue Pop should turn to other players stayed on that side of the argument or would they have called Pop foolish for going with an inexperienced point guard?

rjv
05-12-2017, 04:21 PM

Heard it before. We all have, many times. Here and on ESPN etc. It could be argued, and is, that pop has cost the Spurs a ring...or two here and there. Shall we dance ? Don't get me wrong but RC is the genius behind this operation. THAT dude has a knack for finding talent like nobodies bidness.

Pop, love him, great coach. But the Spurs were a 5-peat team that just...blew it. And we're not talking that 1st Miami series. Pop has had his fuckups...but that doesn't degrade what he's done it just keeps him out of 'best ever'. Elite, yes. Top...4 all time. The no repeat, with what he had at the time, and the opposition...and not repeat?

Best ever ain't in that conversation. Again, love him but I admit...I also have a bit of not loving him. If I saw him in an elevator I'd probably say, 'WHAT THE FUCK, DUDE...' Then take a selfie with him, give him a hug....all against his will...and call it a day.

the metrics by which dynasties are judged seem arbitrary to me. for instance, it seems that there is a general agreement that if a team does not win back-to-back titles it can't be considered a dynasty. but what is to be said of a team that has had the almost unprecedented level of success the spurs have over the past twenty years? Twenty 50 plus win seasons in a row. 10 conference final appearances in that same time frame. 5 titles. is one to say that the Detroit "bad boys" were a better team because they won a back-to-back but faded soon after? even bird's celtics only beat the lakers once. houston a dynasty because they won back-to-back titles while jordan pretended to be a baseball player?

Hoops Czar
05-12-2017, 04:22 PM
But the Dubs did have a gimmicky coach before Kerr, with pretty much the same top talent, and never had this kind of success. So, you know, it's ok to shit on Kerr now that he put together the final product, but he should get recognized for punching the right buttons, even after that 3-1 choke.

Except the year he was fired, Mark Jackson didn't inherit a historically great superstar PG, he had an often injured All-star PG. He didn't have a DPOY candidate in Draymond Green, he had a 2nd year Green coming off the bench. He didn't have an All-star caliber SG, he had a good regular season 3rd year SG that choked in the clutch that led many to compare him to a poor man's Danny Green. Bogut couldn't stay healthy. David Lee was starting at PF. :lol I'm not a fan of Mark Jackson and as gimmicky as he was, the team clearly wasn't ready when he was the head coach.

DMC
05-12-2017, 04:30 PM
I'd lean towards giving the players more credit than pop. They showed up and played great. He looks like a genius because they won, but he was still playing garbage ass David Lee.

A couple years ago the Rockets made a huge comeback because McHale benched Harden and trusted his bench guys to win the game, yet didn't get any credit for it.

Pop was forced to trust his bench guys, but let's not forget Pop wouldn't bench parker in 2015 or 2016, or Manu in 2013.

This series hasn't done much for Pop's legacy, positive or negative.
If it was a player thing, you'd see other teams doing it. There are plenty teams out there who have cheerleaders for coaches, and the players pretty much have the run of the floor. Sure the players deserve more credit than Pop and Pop would be the first to say so, but at the end of the day there's only one team that could do that, and every NBA team has a coach.

DMC
05-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Except the year he was fired, Mark Jackson didn't inherit a historically great superstar PG, he had an often injured All-star PG. He didn't have a DPOY candidate in Draymond Green, he had a 2nd year Green coming off the bench. He didn't have an All-star caliber SG, he had a good regular season 3rd year SG that choked in the clutch that led many to compare him to a poor man's Danny Green. David Lee was starting at PF. :lol I'm not a fan of Mark Jackson and as gimmicky as he was, the team clearly wasn't ready when he was the head coach.

But just 1 year later they were champions. Imagine that.

DMC
05-12-2017, 04:34 PM

:lol nothing you said makes any sense. Sounds like some alt trolling bullshit from a lottery team fan.

Hoops Czar
05-12-2017, 04:35 PM
But just 1 year later they were champions. Imagine that.

Because they were healthy and Curry played at another level.

ErnestLynch
05-12-2017, 04:36 PM
the metrics by which dynasties are judged seem arbitrary to me. for instance, it seems that there is a general agreement that if a team does not win back-to-back titles it can't be considered a dynasty. but what is to be said of a team that has had the almost unprecedented level of success the spurs have over the past twenty years? Twenty 50 plus win seasons in a row. 10 conference final appearances in that same time frame. 5 titles. is one to say that the Detroit "bad boys" were a better team because they won a back-to-back but faded soon after? even bird's celtics only beat the lakers once. houston a dynasty because they won back-to-back titles while jordan pretended to be a baseball player?

Of course it's arbitrary. Look, I don't even abide by the theory that coaching makes THAT much difference. IF they have the players, their job is basically...not to fuck up. Granted these conversations, always, boil down to an opinion. As said, sports is not the 'science' that those that talk about it and play it like to think it is. If it were, no point in playing the games, right ?

But the fact remains, for whatever reasons and whatever definition, there are coaches that have done things Popovich has not in 'about' the same number of years. Whatever reason you come up, while all valid and endlessly argued don't negate the fact that there are other coaches that have achieved 'things' that Pop, has not. Expansion, small market, less talent..yadda yadda.

Yup. All valid. But somewhere in there...in two seasons...with the big 3 basically in their prime...a repeat...that would have been a 3-peat..did...not...happen and in FACT...did not make it to the WCF in either year after winning the title. To me, that knocks him out as well as the Spurs as far as a dominate team. 'Dynasty' by definition I agree. They missed the playoff 3 times in 33 years since their inception. That is a dynasty for the very example of what dynasty is about ...time. But we're not talking about the Spurs as an organization. We're talking about Gregg Popovich. He hasn't been there 33 years. None of them have, clearly. That's what a dynasty is. The people come and go and it just keeps humming along, like..America. Call it 'institutional IQ' or 'culture'. It just ...keeps going, successfully. Coaches and players come and go, the team goes on. Imagine Green Bay..generations have come and gone...the Packers are still there, competing. That's a dynasty, by definition.

DMC
05-12-2017, 04:47 PM
Because they were healthy and Curry played at another level.

Get real. You said they weren't ready. Not ready teams don't win championships. They were ready, they had a shitty coach who ran a high screen for Curry on every other play. It was his decision who to play and who to sit. Kerr didn't just luck out by being around when Steph climbed out of the cocoon.

rjv
05-12-2017, 04:48 PM
Of course it's arbitrary. Look, I don't even abide by the theory that coaching makes THAT much difference. IF they have the players, their job is basically...not to fuck up. Granted these conversations, always, boil down to an opinion. As said, sports is not the 'science' that those that talk about it and play it like to think it is. If it were, no point in playing the games, right ?

But the fact remains, for whatever reasons and whatever definition, there are coaches that have done things Popovich has not in 'about' the same number of years. Whatever reason you come up, while all valid and endlessly argued don't negate the fact that there are other coaches that have achieved 'things' that Pop, has not. Expansion, small market, less talent..yadda yadda.

Yup. All valid. But somewhere in there...in two seasons...with the big 3 basically in their prime...a repeat...that would have been a 3-peat..did...not...happen and in FACT...did not make it to the WCF in either year after winning the title. To me, that knocks him out as well as the Spurs as far as a dominate team. 'Dynasty' by definition I agree. They missed the playoff 3 times in 33 years since their inception. That is a dynasty for the very example of what dynasty is about ...time. But we're not talking about the Spurs as an organization. We're talking about Gregg Popovich. He hasn't been there 33 years. None of them have, clearly. That's what a dynasty is. The people come and go and it just keeps humming along, like..America. Call it 'institutional IQ' or 'culture'. It just ...keeps going. Coaches and players come and go, the team goes on. Imagine Green Bay..generations have come and gone...the Packers are still there, competing. That's a dynasty, by definition. by your logic then, duncan can't be considered a dominant player.

DMC
05-12-2017, 04:50 PM

Yup. All valid. But somewhere in there...in two seasons...with the big 3 basically in their prime...a repeat...that would have been a 3-peat..did...not...happen and in FACT...did not make it to the WCF in either year after winning the title. To me, that knocks him out as well as the Spurs as far as a dominate team. 'Dynasty' by definition I agree. They missed the playoff 3 times in 33 years since their inception. That is a dynasty for the very example of what dynasty is about ...time. But we're not talking about the Spurs as an organization. We're talking about Gregg Popovich. He hasn't been there 33 years. None of them have, clearly. That's what a dynasty is. The people come and go and it just keeps humming along, like..America. Call it 'institutional IQ' or 'culture'. It just ...keeps going, successfully. Coaches and players come and go, the team goes on. Imagine Green Bay..generations have come and gone...the Packers are still there, competing. That's a dynasty, by definition.

That's it, negate logical rebuttal before it ever gets offered.

What other small market franchise has won b2b titles? Name one that's won 5 titles in the past 20 years. Name one that's ever won 5 titles.

All this shit you say sounds like some Koolaid man level desperation.

ErnestLynch
05-12-2017, 04:55 PM
by your logic then, duncan can't be considered a dominant player.

Apples and oranges. Players aren't coaches. A coach 'coaches' a team. A 'player' is ...himself. Is Harden a dominate player ? For now, yes. It's all relative to time. One day MJ will be put in the books with 'one of the greats'. As will TD etc. And not that long from now in the big scheme of things. In a 100 years, they'll be a Ted Williams * and they'll be judged by their era.

ErnestLynch
05-12-2017, 05:00 PM
That's it, negate logical rebuttal before it ever gets offered.

What other small market franchise has won b2b titles? Name one that's won 5 titles in the past 20 years. Name one that's ever won 5 titles.

All this shit you say sounds like some Koolaid man level desperation.

Yup. Again this is about Pop, not the Spurs as an organization. IS Pop the 'greatest ever' ? That was the idea being thrown out there. If you think he is, that's fine. maybe he is. I don't even know how that's judged. All I know is, championship in 2003, 2005, 2007. He's 0-4. Actually, counting '99 he's 0-6 at a repeat. That's the 'greatest ever' ..in your mind ? Again, that's not even tossing the Miami thing into the debate and the loss and IF you add THAT ring, that's EIGHT shots at a repeat. Eight. He's 0-8 on repeats. The year before a ship, and the year after. 0-8. Or hell, maybe 0-10. Both ends of the ships. That ain't the 'greatest ever'. Sorry. 5 championships and no repeat ? Let me ask you this, has anyone with 5 rings not repeated ? Hell, some "only' have two..that were...repeats. Do you 'get it' now ?

SASdynasty!
05-12-2017, 05:02 PM
Once you Pop, you can't stop

Hoops Czar
05-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Get real. You said they weren't ready. Not ready teams don't win championships. They were ready, they had a shitty coach who ran a high screen for Curry on every other play. It was his decision who to play and who to sit. Kerr didn't just luck out by being around when Steph climbed out of the cocoon.

The Cavs did last year. Big difference between O'neal and Bogut starting at Center. Andrew Bogut missed the 2014 playoffs and was a walking zombie in 2013 playoffs (though he started to pick it up) after missing most of the regular season in 2013. Spurs were a Ginobili buzzer beater away from being down 3-1 in the series. Do you need a history lesson on how coach Kerr got dick slapped by coach Lue after Bogut went down with an injury in last year's finals? So much for stud muffin's in game adjustments and beating up on an inferior Eastern Conference team that literally had only two options on offense. Nothing baby face Curry could do about it either. Yeah, chef was a very good player for Jackson and if it wasn't for him turning an ankle against the Spurs in 2013, that series might have ended differently.

rjv
05-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Apples and oranges. Players aren't coaches. A coach 'coaches' a team. A 'player' is ...himself. Is Harden a dominate player ? For now, yes. It's all relative to time. One day MJ will be put in the books with 'one of the greats'. As will TD etc. And not that long from now in the big scheme of things. In a 100 years, they'll be a Ted Williams * and they'll be judged by their era. well i just the think the whole apples and oranges thing is just begging the question. it certainly implies that coaches should be held to a higher standard than players, but that would contradict the assertion that the only job of the coach is "not to fuck up" since you don't abide by the theory the coach makes that much difference.

ErnestLynch
05-12-2017, 05:14 PM
well i just the think the whole apples and oranges thing is just begging the question. it certainly implies that coaches should be held to a higher standard than players, but that would contradict the assertion that the only job of the coach is "not to fuck up" since you don't abide by the theory the coach makes that much difference.

To use yet another cliche'...it is what it is. You can dance around it all you want. He has 5 rings..a great accomplishment, but has never repeated. To me, and others which I agree with, that takes him out of 'greatest ever' and for those..SAS in particular who called Larry Brown 'the greatest ever' and Doc Rivers the 'second best coach in the NBA' I say...

*hurl*

BS then, BS now.

Pop is a great coach. Just not the greatest. The no repeat, particularly with 3 ships in 03 05 07...and not even going to the WCF in between...is ...what it is. lol

Those are the years that take him out. Not 99, not 14.

AND..not only did he not make it to the WCF after winning the title in 2007...if I recall, he got swept in the first round.

RC Buford is the brains behind the Spurs success, imho.

Chucho
05-12-2017, 05:19 PM
The dude that does the calling out of the cliff jumpers from the game threads needs to do flip-flop threads on:

Pop
LMA
Parker
The entire team in general sans Kawhi

And then everyone will bully him because, well, fuck being called out...

UZER
05-12-2017, 05:23 PM

I'm still hearing spurs were never a dynasty because they never went back to back. Yet these are the same people that always refer to the Lakers AND Celtics of the 80s as dynasties.

ErnestLynch
05-12-2017, 05:32 PM
I'm still hearing spurs were never a dynasty because they never went back to back. Yet these are the same people that always refer to the Lakers AND Celtics of the 80s as dynasties.

The Packers have had strings of bad years. Are they not a dynasty ? The Spurs are a dynasty. Gregg Popovich is not the GOAT, IMHO, which is the title of this thread. The Spurs, as an organization ARE a dynasty, but that is a product of time, not all of which occurs with just one team/group. Sustained success. Anyone who says the Spurs aren't a dynasty, in terms of sports, doesn't understand the definition. AGAIN...apples...and orangutans.

bic50
05-12-2017, 05:42 PM

This

bklynspursfan
05-12-2017, 07:38 PM
Simmons was getting decent time anyway. He got bumped up once Kawhi went out, but he was still getting his time in.

And Murray is still a ?. These minutes will help him, no doubt though, but Patty has stepped up as well. The only guys not really playing are Dedmon, Bertans, and Anderson.

And tbh, they've done just fine with the rotation they have. He may change it up a bit next series, we'll have to see.. but Simmons has been the biggest difference maker off the bench, and he was getting time before anyone went down

Pop's gameplan worked to a T. He deserves lots of credit, and the guys to do for executing.

DMC
05-12-2017, 08:02 PM
Yup. Again this is about Pop, not the Spurs as an organization. IS Pop the 'greatest ever' ? That was the idea being thrown out there. If you think he is, that's fine. maybe he is. I don't even know how that's judged. All I know is, championship in 2003, 2005, 2007. He's 0-4. Actually, counting '99 he's 0-6 at a repeat. That's the 'greatest ever' ..in your mind ? Again, that's not even tossing the Miami thing into the debate and the loss and IF you add THAT ring, that's EIGHT shots at a repeat. Eight. He's 0-8 on repeats. The year before a ship, and the year after. 0-8. Or hell, maybe 0-10. Both ends of the ships. That ain't the 'greatest ever'. Sorry. 5 championships and no repeat ? Let me ask you this, has anyone with 5 rings not repeated ? Hell, some "only' have two..that were...repeats. Do you 'get it' now ?
"I don't even know how that's judged"

"Pop has had his fuckups...but that doesn't degrade what he's done it just keeps him out of 'best ever'. "

Since you think B2B is the criteria, you'll need to explain why. I don't need to debunk it.

A coach gets a team to the Finals, if the team can repeat and does, it's the same team most of the time. Why didn't Phil repeat after Shaq left? Why didn't he have a b2b before or after Michael in Chicago?

Pop has taken different squads to the top of the mountain, has 3 different Finals MVPs and none of they are named David Robinson. His coaching tree looks like a Cypress tree, while the others... not so much. What's Phil's coaching tree? Derek Fisher?

Larry Brown is a better coach than Phil Jackson. Red just had a powerful team. Bill Russell was able to player coach them to the Finals.

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2017, 08:52 PM
^^Have a feeling that's an Avante troll, tbh:lol

Chris
05-12-2017, 09:20 PM
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18402928_1915893531959111_7137306385294236452_n.jp g?oh=55ff8f7619ba871ae48c4b2c5e9b54ae&oe=59740656

illusioNtEk
05-12-2017, 09:27 PM
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18402928_1915893531959111_7137306385294236452_n.jp g?oh=55ff8f7619ba871ae48c4b2c5e9b54ae&oe=59740656

Bow down sons

DMC
05-12-2017, 10:11 PM
The Cavs did last year. Big difference between O'neal and Bogut starting at Center. Andrew Bogut missed the 2014 playoffs and was a walking zombie in 2013 playoffs (though he started to pick it up) after missing most of the regular season in 2013. Spurs were a Ginobili buzzer beater away from being down 3-1 in the series. Do you need a history lesson on how coach Kerr got dick slapped by coach Lue after Bogut went down with an injury in last year's finals? So much for stud muffin's in game adjustments and beating up on an inferior Eastern Conference team that literally had only two options on offense. Nothing baby face Curry could do about it either. Yeah, chef was a very good player for Jackson and if it wasn't for him turning an ankle against the Spurs in 2013, that series might have ended differently.
Kerr is no genius coach. Mark Jackson is just a tool. His own staff betrayed him.

BillMc
05-12-2017, 10:20 PM
Agreed

And yet so many on this site call him Poop and want him fired.

urunobili
05-12-2017, 10:53 PM
Did you guys just see the cartoon ESPN put together with Pop's press interaction quotes and making him look like a rock star? That was pretty dope

therealtruth
05-12-2017, 11:11 PM
"I don't even know how that's judged"

"Pop has had his fuckups...but that doesn't degrade what he's done it just keeps him out of 'best ever'. "

Since you think B2B is the criteria, you'll need to explain why. I don't need to debunk it.

A coach gets a team to the Finals, if the team can repeat and does, it's the same team most of the time. Why didn't Phil repeat after Shaq left? Why didn't he have a b2b before or after Michael in Chicago?

Pop has taken different squads to the top of the mountain, has 3 different Finals MVPs and none of they are named David Robinson. His coaching tree looks like a Cypress tree, while the others... not so much. What's Phil's coaching tree? Derek Fisher?

Larry Brown is a better coach than Phil Jackson. Red just had a powerful team. Bill Russell was able to player coach them to the Finals.

The reason B2B should be a consideration is that players say it's hardest thing to do.

DMC
05-13-2017, 12:01 AM
The reason B2B should be a consideration is that players say it's hardest thing to do.

So? We're talking about coaching. How many players think it's harder to b2b than to win 5 championships and win 50 games a season for 18 straight seasons?

Spo was SO good in 2012/2013 :rolleyes

ElNono
05-13-2017, 12:08 AM
Kerr is no genius coach. Mark Jackson is just a tool. His own staff betrayed him.

but but Curry was at another level! wonder why?

DMC
05-13-2017, 12:15 AM
but but Curry was at another level! wonder why?

:cry because Bogut was there...

MultiTroll
05-13-2017, 09:25 AM
Well, that comes with the territory. If you ask a clown like Fabbs who is better between Pau and Dedmon, he'll probably take Dedmon every time. :lol
Wow what brought on this butthurt?
I've posted I've been happy Pau's performance this playoffs for the most part.
As to your trying to pigeon hole me or any one else into a "Pau or Dedmon", it's situational. Pau better passer, great Duncanesque blocks this playoffs and his new found trey stroking ability. Dedmon far superior lateral movement, also excellent rebounding and brings some nasty which apparently has some of you sthensitive typths upset.

I don't care if you want to say Pau is overall better. Just don't shut Dedmon (and Murray, Bertie, Simmons) out.

cd98
05-13-2017, 09:44 AM
Pop beating GSW would be on par with beating Lakers 2001 and 2002. It would be one of his greatest coaching accomplishments, assuming GSW doesn't lose a bunch of guys to injury.

ElNono
05-13-2017, 10:21 AM
Wow what brought on this butthurt?
I've posted I've been happy Pau's performance this playoffs for the most part.
As to your trying to pigeon hole me or any one else into a "Pau or Dedmon", it's situational. Pau better passer, great Duncanesque blocks this playoffs and his new found trey stroking ability. Dedmon far superior lateral movement, also excellent rebounding and brings some nasty which apparently has some of you sthensitive typths upset.

I don't care if you want to say Pau is overall better. Just don't shut Dedmon (and Murray, Bertie, Simmons) out.

:lol you my nig, and I legit laugh out loud at some of the takes, plus you gotta admit you're been called much worse in here...

BatManu20
05-13-2017, 10:57 AM
GOAT.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_tbacHXYAE3-Yu?format=jpg&name=large

BatManu20
05-13-2017, 11:07 AM
Also, the new Twolves logo looks like a shitty B/R logo.

BatManu20
05-13-2017, 11:07 AM
Boiled down: Regardless of what anybody here thinks about Pop (cause he has a lot of haters on this forum), he is on the mount Rushmore of NBA coaches. Always will be.

TheGreatYacht
05-21-2017, 03:25 AM
Yeah, the goat can literally win with nobodies. Oh wait, he can't. Rode Duncan, Parker, and Kawhi's coattails just like OP rides cock.