PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Ways of not getting swept

ambchang
05-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Now that the Spurs have earned the right to be a speed bump to the Warriors trip to the Finals, what can the Spurs actually do to not get swept, or even *gasp* win the series.

1) Change it to a low-post driven offense. With Gasol and Aldridge both being crafty inside/mid range players, it is time for the Spurs to put Gasol in the low post to draw double teams and/or put pressure on the Warriors interior defense, and have Aldridge up in the high-post with his mid range jumper, as usual, there should be two shooters at the corners, and one at the top opposite to Aldridge.
2) Another way to attack GSW is to have Kawhi and Aldridge and Gasol run the high pick and roll, with three point shooters at the corners. Pretty boring usual play, but with the mid range games of Kawhi, Gasol and Aldridge, this offense should be relatively unstoppable.
3) On defense, Kawhi matches up well with Durant, and Green is perfect on Curry. Simmons would be the guy you put on Thomson to chase him around screens and make cover him like a wet blanket. Aldridge and Gasol will take turns protecting the paint. The issue is who can cover Green. Aldridge has some mobility and can be used in that role, but I don't think he is ideal. Perhaps Bertrans with his length and mobility (lack in strength though)?
4) I think Dedmon could be useful in this series against the athleticism of Javale McGee, not sure realistically how much burn he can get.
5) Patty Mills would be useful on offense, but I am not sure who he can match up with on defense. Perhaps you can "hide" him on Thomson, because he would be burned by Curry.
6) Hope that Ginobili will put on a show out of no where for a game or two to turn the tide.

Seventyniner
05-12-2017, 01:30 PM
I certainly expect the Spurs to do better than the Jazz did, at least if Kawhi is 100%. That is enough to avoid a sweep.

DMC
05-12-2017, 01:51 PM
Now that the Spurs have earned the right to be a speed bump to the Warriors trip to the Finals, what can the Spurs actually do to not get swept, or even *gasp* win the series.

1) Change it to a low-post driven offense. With Gasol and Aldridge both being crafty inside/mid range players, it is time for the Spurs to put Gasol in the low post to draw double teams and/or put pressure on the Warriors interior defense, and have Aldridge up in the high-post with his mid range jumper, as usual, there should be two shooters at the corners, and one at the top opposite to Aldridge.
2) Another way to attack GSW is to have Kawhi and Aldridge and Gasol run the high pick and roll, with three point shooters at the corners. Pretty boring usual play, but with the mid range games of Kawhi, Gasol and Aldridge, this offense should be relatively unstoppable.
3) On defense, Kawhi matches up well with Durant, and Green is perfect on Curry. Simmons would be the guy you put on Thomson to chase him around screens and make cover him like a wet blanket. Aldridge and Gasol will take turns protecting the paint. The issue is who can cover Green. Aldridge has some mobility and can be used in that role, but I don't think he is ideal. Perhaps Bertrans with his length and mobility (lack in strength though)?
4) I think Dedmon could be useful in this series against the athleticism of Javale McGee, not sure realistically how much burn he can get.
5) Patty Mills would be useful on offense, but I am not sure who he can match up with on defense. Perhaps you can "hide" him on Thomson, because he would be burned by Curry.
6) Hope that Ginobili will put on a show out of no where for a game or two to turn the tide.
Hoping was never a "way" of doing anything other than hoping.

You cannot hide Patty on Klay. Klay would score 50.

Dedmon gets crushed by McGee

The three you mention work well on defense but not on offense. Danny is spotty, much more so than Steph, and Steph would burn him by taking him to the hole. Simmons cannot guard Klay, I'm sure of it. Klay doesn't even dribble much, just catch and shoot and Simmons is a close out guy.

You have to hope Mike Brown does something stupid, like only play 5 guys all game, if you want to hope.

DAF86
05-12-2017, 02:20 PM

Patty is going to defend Curry, no other guy you can put him on, tbh.

DAF86
05-12-2017, 02:25 PM
Although this is a good point

Exactly. dabom gets it. Same thing if Mills starts and Klay is posting up. Even if Thompson is successful, the Warriors will get stuck playing the Spurs' pace. The easiest way to design a defense is to create a known weakpoint and build around it

Warriors are smarter than that though.

FkLA
05-12-2017, 02:27 PM

The three you mention work well on defense but not on offense. Danny is spotty, much more so than Steph, and Steph would burn him by taking him to the hole. Simmons cannot guard Klay, I'm sure of it. Klay doesn't even dribble much, just catch and shoot and Simmons is a close out guy.

You have to hope Mike Brown does something stupid, like only play 5 guys all game, if you want to hope.

I see you are still fully on board the Klaynus is a much better offensive player than Kawhi bandwagon. :lol

Monostradamus
05-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Spurs in 6, tbh

Chinook
05-12-2017, 02:32 PM
Although this is a good point

Warriors are smarter than that though.

But it's pretty binary when talking about perimeter players. Either Klay is going to go at Mills or he won't. If he does, then it takes the ball out of the MVPs' hands. If he doesn't, then the Spurs can get away with playing Patty. Even the best defenses give up a lot of points a game. What they do differently is determine who gets those points and what the cost is.

I do think that Mills on Curry will happen a lot, though.

DAF86
05-12-2017, 02:36 PM
But it's pretty binary when talking about perimeter players. Either Klay is going to go at Mills or he won't. If he does, then it takes the ball out of the MVPs' hands. If he doesn't, then the Spurs can get away with playing Patty. Even the best defenses give up a lot of points a game. What they do differently is determine who gets those points and what the cost is.

I do think that Mills on Curry will happen a lot, though.

What if they mix it up to their fullest advantage? Go a bit to Klay on the post, run him off pick with a shorter guy on him that won't be able to challenge his shot, and even put him on positions to win some offensive rebounds?

I agree though, that it should be something to at least try.

FkLA
05-12-2017, 02:43 PM
Last time people (Spurs fans included) expected the Spurs to get obliterated, it took a historic Game 6 collapse for the opposing team to win that series.

There's no way it's a sweep, imo.

Chinook
05-12-2017, 02:43 PM
What if they mix it up to their fullest advantage? Go a bit to Klay on the post, run him off pick with a shorter guy on him that won't be able to challenge his shot, and even put him on positions to win some offensive rebounds?

I agree though, that it should be something to at least try.

Klay going for boards might give the Spurs better transition opportunities (since the Spurs will HAVE to out-rebound GS for this to even be a conversation). I think there are ways to get Thompson open for shots, and that already do that. But every play designed specifically for Klay is one that isn't drawn up for the other guys. If they go that route, I expect Klay to score quite a bit, and maybe it'd be enough to overcome whatever the Spurs do. But it will slow the game down and knock the others out of rhythm. My issues with Kawhiso aside, at least the Spurs are well-versed in playing that way now. Kawhiso versus Klayso still favors SA.

ambchang
05-12-2017, 02:59 PM

Patty is going to defend Curry, no other guy you can put him on, tbh.

Problem with Patty is there is no where to hide him on defense against the Warriors, but there is a role for him on offense.

I do not believe Klay will kill Mills more than Curry will. Curry will simply eat him alive, plus get others involved. Klay is the type of guy you chase around the screen and push him off his favourite spots, which a shorter defender like Mills can potentially do based on effort. Simmons has the athleticism to go around screens and stay with Thomson, then bother him on jump shots.

As for Dedmon, he can help bother McGee on the lobs.

The Spurs have to exploit their advantage in the low/mid post, and taking out Green is a significant aspect of that. If Durant is forced onto one of Aldridge/Gasol, exploit that. it may not be successful at the beginning, but forcing Durant to guard bigger stronger guys will wear him down throughout the series.

Mitch
05-12-2017, 03:21 PM
Dubs in 4 if they take ambchingchongs advice

Dex
05-12-2017, 03:36 PM
Going out on a limb here, but I think if we score more points in four games before they do...we stand a pretty good shot.

Kyle Orton
05-12-2017, 03:45 PM
And just like that Aldridge is back in good graces. Cub was right tbh

05-12-2017, 04:08 PM
We've played them about as well the Cavs, if not better the last three years. As long as Kawhi is healthy, i don't see them steamrolling us. In game one we blew them out without Green, and in game three we had a huge lead and let them come back. We're capable of beating these guys.

Aldridge played really good defense against them this season and he was stepping out and hitting corner threes, that'll have to continue.

Danny was shooting fearlessly in game 3, along with Mills, they'll need to keep that up. J Simms as well. Big Play Simms will be huge this series.

Dedman plays McGee pretty well, but for Zaza and Green, i feel aldridge and Pau are better suited. No Lee please :pctoss

As big as I am on HOTS, I think Murray is better suited for this series. His length can hold him against Livingston.

baseline bum
05-12-2017, 04:15 PM
And just like that Aldridge is back in good graces. Cub was right tbh

What makes you think that? He played like a bitch for four games, had one good game, and one great game. The guy isn't consistent at all.

Kyle Orton
05-12-2017, 04:19 PM
What makes you think that? He played like a bitch for four games, had one good game, and one great game. The guy isn't consistent at all.

I agree, but op makes it seem like he's about to be the black David Robinson next round.

Trainwreck2100
05-12-2017, 04:23 PM
need all the scrubs to play like gods (aldridge included)

Joseph Kony
05-12-2017, 04:27 PM
try to force them to run their offense thru anyone other than Curry/Durant, let klay post up all day on Patty :lol i think we all know the post up is basically useless in today's league unless you're a dominant big man. but that is easier said than done. unlike the Rockets, the Warriors actually play defense, and as HH mentioned in another thread im more concerned with the offense vs the defense against GS tbh...spurs had scoring droughts against a garbage rockets defense, that cannot happen against GS

Joseph Kony
05-12-2017, 04:28 PM
also, maybe this is the series Lee will finally be useful

Chris
05-12-2017, 06:10 PM
also, maybe this is the series Dedmon will finally be useful

Lee was serviceable against Houston imo out hustling their bigs on rebounds and putbacks. His interior passing and 'Oberto like' presence being in the right places at the right time making the right decisions. I like the matchup vs. Raymond because Lee is a decent on closeouts to the perimeter shooters. Spurs need him to make the bunnies and play physical in the paint.