PDA

View Full Version : Keys / Strategies for beating the GSW

UZER
05-12-2017, 03:32 PM
The ideas are scattered all over this forum. Let's get them in one place.

1) if you get Durant switch in the post with a big, pound it pound it pound it. This will take just legs out over the course of the series. We need him feeling those body shots later in the series.

2) for the love of God, please exploit Draymond's constant cheating on defense. He feels like he has to go rescue anyone in the post, especially his smaller teammates. He is always sagging way off his man and often completely turns his back to them. Spurs got to set that trap and use it against him.

If playing two bigs, force the switch with Steph guarding the big in the post (easier said than done, I know) and bring the other big that Green is guarding to the weak side. The makes it easier to bait him into helping, then pass it to the other big on the weak side when he she's help. But you've got to be patient. The Spurs used this some in the Houston series, I going they also do it against GS.

If he completely comes off him man on the wing, that guy had to be ready for the pass for a jumper, or cut back door.

ErnestLynch
05-12-2017, 03:35 PM
The ideas are scattered all over this forum. Let's get them in one place.

1) if you get Durant switch in the post with a big, pound it pound it pound it. This will take just legs out over the course of the series. We need him feeling those body shots later in the series.

2) for the love of God, please exploit Draymond's constant cheating on defense. He feels like he has to go rescue anyone in the post, especially his smaller teammates. He is always sagging way off his man and often completely turns his back to them. Spurs got to set that trap and use it against him.

If playing two bigs, force the switch with Steph guarding the big in the post (easier said than done, I know) and bring the other big that Green is guarding to the weak side. The makes it easier to bait him into helping, then pass it to the other big on the weak side when he she's help. But you've got to be patient. The Spurs used this some in the Houston series, I going they also do it against GS.

If he completely comes off him man on the wing, that guy had to be ready for the pass for a jumper, or cut back door.
Leonard and Simmons on Durant and what's his name. lol...let the rest of 'em beat you. When Durant and Curry are on the floor, Leonard and Simmons are on the floor. That's how they'll do it. Will it work ? Who knows but who else is defending those two ? That's what Pop is going to do, because it's all he CAN do. EOS. You defend those guys one way. Up close, and personal. Spurs have two guys that can do that and that is the ONLY option. Spurs chances, hang in the hands of Leonard and Simmons, defensively. Period.

DarrinS
05-12-2017, 03:42 PM
Get under the skin of Draymond

kjhip1
05-12-2017, 03:45 PM
Do we play kawhi, green and Leonard on the floor at the same time? I hope for the love of God LMA feasts on zaza, McGee, and draymond. We need to get one of their big four in foul trouble.

rjv
05-12-2017, 04:27 PM
as for how to stop KD:

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder552/250x250/51599552/sensei-john-kreese-of-the-cobra-kai-sweep-the-leg-no-mercy.jpg

05-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Turn off the AC

Chucho
05-12-2017, 04:34 PM
Do what they did in the season opener. The bench needs to play like they did in the second game of the series.

That's it. That's all. We know we can beat them. We've beaten them at both levels.

LOL at the Chicken Little fans and getting high on a huge win and then hiding under the bed because of a team that pulled an 07 Lakers.

ducks
05-12-2017, 04:37 PM
kyle Anderson seems to guard Durant well for some reason
I know that is not popular here but he has done well against him
I am for seeing murray and jon on him though

Joseph Kony
05-12-2017, 04:39 PM
imo the key is minimizing Green....he is the heart and soul of their team. Spurs need to do whatever they can to limit his impact on the game as he is imo the best playmaker on GS and the one who allows them to play their game. Getting him in foul trouble, getting him to react, whatever it takes. maybe the spurs should give him the kawhi treatment and try to put the man he is guarding as far away from the play as possible to minimize his effectiveness on defense.

unfortunately as LMA and Lee will probably be guarding him the most im not sure this is going to happen. But as Lebron showed, getting this donkey looking fuck out of the game is the best way to attack GS

UZER
05-12-2017, 05:20 PM
If green gets the defensive rebound, crowd him immediately. He wants to run and they get alot of fastbreak points when he grabs the rebound and goes.

cd98
05-12-2017, 05:27 PM
We need Curry to get injured.

Play Boban
05-12-2017, 05:40 PM
Sit Kawhi, if game 6 is any indication tbh fwiw.

05-12-2017, 05:40 PM
kyle Anderson seems to guard Durant well for some reason Noticed this too

05-12-2017, 05:43 PM
From downstairs

We've played them about as well the Cavs, if not better the last three years. As long as Kawhi is healthy, i don't see them steamrolling us. In game one we blew them out without Green, and in game three we had a huge lead and let them come back. We're capable of beating these guys.

Aldridge played really good defense against them this season and he was stepping out and hitting corner threes, that'll have to continue.

Danny was shooting fearlessly in game 3, along with Mills, they'll need to keep that up. J Simms as well. Big Play Simms will be huge this series.

Dedman plays McGee pretty well, but for Zaza and Green, i feel aldridge and Pau are better suited. No Lee please :pctoss

As big as I am on HOTS, I think Murray is better suited for this series. His length can hold him against Livingston.

To add, I think one of Danny Green or Kawhi should be on the floor at all times. Against Hou sometimes we went long stretches with both on the bench while Hou still had Harden, Lou, and Eric on the floor. Weird.

Phenomanul
05-12-2017, 05:53 PM
Don't let West gain any rhythm and become Spur-killer West... last game may have just been a fluke... but who knows...

superbigtime
05-12-2017, 05:54 PM
I think the best guy to get under Draymond's skin is Bertans. The dude is strong as hell and doesn't give AF. I hope Pop gives him some PT, he will be productive.

TheDoctor
05-12-2017, 06:06 PM

http://destinypoint.homestead.com/right_praying_hands.png

SAGirl
05-12-2017, 07:21 PM
The encouraging thing of this series to me is that every possibility for the Spurs is on the table.
I believe that once Pop was forced by circumstances to the possibilities of playing his younger guys, he's probably more likely to use every tool in his shed and every guy for the best possible strategy and outcome. He's gotten this far in the playoffs by taking advantage of a series of different lineups and limiting players' minutes whose matchups present problems, etc.
I think Pop will be more flexible than he was last season against OKC for example: where it was, just do the same, but execute better. This time I think he's more willing to try different tactics. :toast

bklynspursfan
05-12-2017, 07:44 PM
The encouraging thing of this series to me is that every possibility for the Spurs is on the table.
I believe that once Pop was forced by circumstances to the possibilities of playing his younger guys, he's probably more likely to use every tool in his shed and every guy for the best possible strategy and outcome. He's gotten this far in the playoffs by taking advantage of a series of different lineups and limiting players' minutes whose matchups present problems, etc.
I think Pop will be more flexible than he was last season against OKC for example: where it was, just do the same, but execute better. This time I think he's more willing to try different tactics. :toast

Who was he forced to play aside from Murray (who was a DNP in game 5) and Simmons, who saw a bit of a minutes spike once Kawhi went out?

I think Murray will be forced to play more with TP out, but I think Simmons already implanted himself into the rotation. No other young guys really played , except in garbage time, no?

ElNono
05-12-2017, 07:53 PM
Give it to Manu and clear out, tbh

siraulo23
05-12-2017, 07:58 PM
High low game has to be on point, Lamarcus needs to get the ball deep in the paint and make plays. Gasol, Mills, Simmons all need to play well
Kawhi needs to be healthy and play like an MVP
Pray the Spurs can at least contain the dubs offense

siraulo23
05-12-2017, 08:01 PM
This series is most likely over in 5 or less but I'm tuning in hoping the spurs stun the NBA world once again tbh

If the Spurs somehow win this series, It would be right up there as the most satisfying series win since '14

Splits
05-12-2017, 08:03 PM

Yes, let's score 50pts per game.

Total.

SAGirl
05-12-2017, 08:05 PM
Who was he forced to play aside from Murray (who was a DNP in game 5) and Simmons, who saw a bit of a minutes spike once Kawhi went out?

I think Murray will be forced to play more with TP out, but I think Simmons already implanted himself into the rotation. No other young guys really played , except in garbage time, no?
Lee has see minutes limited
Anderson has seen minutes, Simmons has had minutes and role increased, Murray is playing... Dedmon is completely benched.
He's mixed guys also, starting someone or playing more or less, and trying different combinations.
he's adjusted how and where LMA gets the ball, how many minutes and with whom Pau plays etc.
He's played unlikely combos like Patty/Tony b4 Tony got injured. He's done a lot of different things and I am encouraged that he's going to be more adaptable than i saw in the two past postseasons when the team went home early.

It may not matter against GSW or it may... but I like our chances more than b4... seing Pop sticking to the same formula (or guys, or strategy, or combinations) that would not work over and over was madness.

I think for next series all of the things we have seen and even some we may not have seen are out there. (like Bertans possibly, if needed...)

SAGirl
05-12-2017, 08:08 PM
Hopefully Manu doesn't look 50 years old. Last time Klay lit him up... but we know he can do that no matter what sometimes. I just hope Manu saved some of that "grandpa juice"

bklynspursfan
05-12-2017, 08:13 PM
Lee has see minutes limited
Anderson has seen minutes, Simmons has had minutes and role increased, Murray is playing... Dedmon is completely benched.
He's mixed guys also, starting someone or playing more or less, and trying different combinations.
he's adjusted how and where LMA gets the ball, how many minutes and with whom Pau plays etc.
He's played unlikely combos like Patty/Tony b4 Tony got injured. He's done a lot of different things and I am encouraged that he's going to be more adaptable than i saw in the two past postseasons when the team went home early.

It may not matter against GSW or it may... but I like our chances more than b4... seing Pop sticking to the same formula (or guys, or strategy, or combinations) that would not work over and over.

I think for next series all of the things we have seen and even some we may not have seen are out there.

Simmons mins were about the same until Kawhi went out, I guess that's what I was saying. Anderson played, but in garbage time, and in the last game with Kawhi out.

The Dedmon thing is weird , but he hasn't gone DeJuan Blair yet complaining and seems into the game.

I wasn't talking about his in game adjustments, mostly curious on those saying he was forced to play guys. I feel like Murray was the only guy forced to play with TP out, and even he had a DNP in there. Anderson played his most minutes in game 4 which was a blowout, and last game with Kawhi out.

Lee's minutes went down once he started going small. I think he was always ready to go small, but it's not something you want to do all the time, but in spurts.

He's definitely shown he can adjust throughout a series tho, I wasn't surprised to see him trying new things. The regular season was about seeing what worked to prepare for these moments.

Dex
05-12-2017, 08:16 PM
We could go over X's and O's all day long. The Spurs obviously will need to shoot well, play good defense, take care of the ball, and try to utilize the size advantage. That is pretty much a given.

That said, if we really want a chance in this series...we just have to hope the Warriors miss shots.

If they are on point and focused...could be a very short series. If we can get a few games where they are a little off, especially from downtown...I give the Spurs a puncher's chance.

UZER
05-12-2017, 08:16 PM
I know one thing, outside of the casuals and media, all real NBA fans will be rooting for the Spurs to win.

SAGirl
05-12-2017, 08:17 PM
Simmons mins were about the same until Kawhi went out, I guess that's what I was saying. Anderson played, but in garbage time, and in the last game with Kawhi out.

The Dedmon thing is weird , but he hasn't gone DeJuan Blair yet complaining and seems into the game.

I wasn't talking about his in game adjustments, mostly curious on those saying he was forced to play guys. I feel like Murray was the only guy forced to play with TP out, and even he had a DNP in there. Anderson played his most minutes in game 4 which was a blowout, and last game with Kawhi out.

Lee's minutes went down once he started going small. I think he was always ready to go small, but it's not something you want to do all the time, but in spurts.

He's definitely shown he can adjust throughout a series tho, I wasn't surprised to see him trying new things. The regular season was about seeing what worked to prepare for these moments.
No Pop has given minutes to Anderson... 20 this game... he was part of a run in the 2nd Q that put the game out of reach.. he was as much to give credit to for the Spurs win as any other Spur to come off the bench IMO.
He played 7 minutes in game 5... he's played a few minutes here and there. obviously more in garbage time, but he's not benched per se.
Pop has played more small ball which already meant Simmons minutes were increased soon as Tony was out. He's eaten into the bigs minutes too, as has Anderson.
Anyways, I don't want to discuss this bc you tend to see things as you want to see them, but the facts you can check out.
I tend to think he will go back to playing big a lot of the game but I think a strict big approach will work less against GSW than it did against the Rockets specially if Pop insists on keeping an athletic big like Dedmon benched (which is unknown)

Nathan89
05-12-2017, 08:28 PM
Hopefully making Draymond do work on defense will throw his shot off because him not shooting well is almost certainly what our defensive plan will be relying on. Perhaps refs will find their whistle and put him in foul trouble.

bklynspursfan
05-12-2017, 08:39 PM
No Pop has given minutes to Anderson... 20 this game... he was part of a run in the 2nd Q that put the game out of reach.. he was as much to give credit to for the Spurs win as any other Spur to come off the bench IMO.
He played 7 minutes in game 5... he's played a few minutes here and there. obviously more in garbage time, but he's not benched per se.
Pop has played more small ball which already meant Simmons minutes were increased soon as Tony was out. He's eaten into the bigs minutes too, as has Anderson.
Anyways, I don't want to discuss this bc you tend to see things as you want to see them, but the facts you can check out.
I tend to think he will go back to playing big a lot of the game but I think a strict big approach will work less against GSW than it did against the Rockets specially if Pop insists on keeping an athletic big like Dedmon benched (which is unknown)

I said Anderson played, but he played more cause Kawhi was out. It's not how I see it, but those are facts. I never said he was benched (?) Anderson played very well, no doubt. But Game 1 he played 12 mins (blowout loss), game 2 and 3 he played 4 and 6 mins respectively, Game 4, 15 mins, another blowout loss, and Game 5 he only saw 6 mins.

Simmons mins too were pretty consistent until Kawhi went out too. So Kawhi being out opened up more for those guys. Murray benefited from TP going out, and KA benefited from Kawhi being out last game. He might play Anderson more than Murray next series, who knows. I think the only definite is Simmons getting his minutes. Everyone else is kind of a ? Still.. he'll throw em out there and see how they do likely against GS's 2nd unit

I agree tho, he probably goes big again, while sprinkling in some small ball. And honestly, it's not a bad idea if our big guys show up. It's our only advantage, and he should try to exploit it.

SAGirl
05-12-2017, 08:44 PM
I said Anderson played, but he played more cause Kawhi was out. It's not how I see it, but those are facts. I never said he was benched (?) Anderson played very well, no doubt. But Game 1 he played 12 mins (blowout loss), game 2 and 3 he played 4 and 6 mins respectively, Game 4, 15 mins, another blowout loss, and Game 5 he only saw 6 mins.

Simmons mins too were pretty consistent until Kawhi went out too. So Kawhi being out opened up more for those guys. Murray benefited from TP going out, and KA benefited from Kawhi being out last game. He might play Anderson more than Murray next series, who knows. I think the only definite is Simmons getting his minutes. Everyone else is kind of a ? Still.. he'll throw em out there and see how they do likely against GS's 2nd unit

I agree tho, he probably goes big again, while sprinkling in some small ball. And honestly, it's not a bad idea if our big guys show up. It's our only advantage, and he should try to exploit it.
He played 7 minutes in hte first half of game 5.. a close game throughout and key to win at home... in the fisrt half... b4 Kawhi had his injury.
Here is where I part ways: colored views. As I said you will see what you want to see and I prefer to let you to it.

bklynspursfan
05-12-2017, 08:50 PM
He played 7 minutes in hte first half of game 5.. a close game throughout and key to win at home... in the fisrt half... b4 Kawhi had his injury.
Here is where I part ways: colored views. As I said you will see what you want to see and I prefer to let you to it.

Alrighty. I know you'll see things the way you want to as well, so it is what it is.

Regardless, I'm sure we both can agree on wanting to take down the Dubs regardless of who plays however many minutes.

SAGirl
05-12-2017, 08:55 PM
Alrighty. I know you'll see things the way you want to as well, so it is what it is.

Regardless, I'm sure we both can agree on wanting to take down the Dubs regardless of who plays however many minutes.
Anderson was the only topic I bothered to answer about... a lot of things in your previous post were very colored by your point of view, like the bigs being a big asset. Pop actually had to go away from 2 bigs and use them only strategically, in limited minutes and depending how things were going. There is more that could be said, but TBQH chatting with you sometimes tires me out, you do tend to have very colored and unchangeable view and I don't care about it to argue. I do agree many changes were forced upon Pop but I did see more willingness to explore different things/guys/lineups/rotations/strategies regardless of player injury situation.

Still a fan and you too. so we cool.

SpursIndonesia
05-12-2017, 09:10 PM
Control the damn tempo, limit the mistakes & turn overs, very difficult against their D (whether legally or illegally out of being NBA's darling), but gotta try to have any slight of chance in this series.

cd021
05-12-2017, 09:16 PM

Or to screw a stripper and have a few sleepless nights on the fold out couch tbh

ace3g
05-12-2017, 09:48 PM
#OperationPostUp against Curry

Mr. Body
05-12-2017, 09:53 PM
Beat them up as much as possible down low. That's what we did the first game of the season. Pound, pound, pound. If it gets to a long series, the toll will tell. LMA is the key here, unfortunately.

Concentrate. Keep focus at every moment and until the end of quarters. They hit little gaps in concentration and rip games open.

Simmons may be a big boost. I don't see Murray doing much here, but see Simmons and Anderson getting play. Anderson may be important on Durant; if he has success that could be huge.

poop
05-12-2017, 10:08 PM
Open the game with a montage of Trump and the NRA and curry will wet his panties

poop
05-12-2017, 10:10 PM
Have one player whose sole job it is to annoy/enrage Gaymon

illusioNtEk
05-12-2017, 10:15 PM
Nobody should be able to stop LMA, I say feed him and play Spurs style basketball and no isolation.

I also think we should play big and grab those rebounds and execute to prevent them running any fast breaks.

Play transition D, and try not to foul.

We gotta play with a lot of heart and energy and keep the crowd away from the game.

rastaspur
05-12-2017, 10:18 PM
Have one player whose sole job it is to annoy/enrage Gaymon

Bertans playing a few minutes of aggressive defense on him . Throw in some rude sounding euro trash talk where donkey doesnt know what he is saying and it might make him go postal.

David lee would be the other candidate. Some rough elbows and constant phrases like you "will always be my backup, bitch" might set him off.

Chinook
05-12-2017, 10:33 PM
Games One and Two are really a different series than the rest due to the three-day lull between them. I honestly think the Spurs have to take at least one to have any chance, because GS will likely win Game Three. My hope (assuming a split) would be to win One and lose Two. That way, the Spurs would have all that time to analyze the Warriors' first adjustments and make a new plan. If they win Two and lost One, then GS will likely have a strong gameplan against SA that will take another game or two for SA to figure out.

Anyway, the strategy is to drag them into deep water. The Warriors outside of Draymond are not really clutch, so if the Spurs can keep it close, they can pull some games out. GS plays a four-big rotation, and that means the Spurs should not force small-ball even though they will be decently equipped to play in that style if Simmons and Murray remain contributors. The path to beating GS revolves around the front court still. Similar to Houston, don't overreact to drives. Stay with your man and force the Dubs to shoot over length. A two-man game between Curry and Zaza may put Gasol in a bad place. But so long as that place is Zaza getting the pass and having to score, that's fine. I don't think switching is a problem in this series, since no one besides Durant maybe wants to play the drive game. The Warriors are also inclined to look for the extra pass, so hard-closes should be more successful, as the will likely move the ball rather than resetting. However, if they play by the gameplan, they actually won't have to close.

-21-
05-12-2017, 10:48 PM
I have a feeling Kyle will see a slight increase in minutes this series. His length will be useful against Draymond/Durant.

spurtech09
05-13-2017, 12:27 AM
Team ball

BillMc
05-13-2017, 12:50 AM
Put Kawhi on Green, Danny on Steph, and hide patty (or use Simmons) on Klay and live with it. I think if Leonard can handle Green, their offensive fluidity will be greatly reduced.

objective
05-13-2017, 01:32 AM
Games One and Two are really a different series than the rest due to the three-day lull between them

Game 1 is Sunday, game 2 is Tuesday, game 3 is Saturday, games 4 is Monday.

YGWHI
05-13-2017, 02:40 AM
We could go over X's and O's all day long. The Spurs obviously will need to shoot well, play good defense, take care of the ball, and try to utilize the size advantage. That is pretty much a given.

Sure. But there are some lineups that can kill the Spurs and others more favorable

Pop will try to stay big playing Pau many minutes...IDK if the Spurs can survive with him in this series.

spurraider21
05-13-2017, 02:55 AM
gasol's defense in game 6 vs houston was outstanding... a few of the examples above were him just being zoned out or not aggressive

Spur|n|Austin
05-13-2017, 03:01 AM
No double teaming and Kawhi has to fight through the high screens, fuck the switch.

YGWHI
05-13-2017, 03:38 AM
gasol's defense in game 6 vs houston was outstanding... a few of the examples above were him just being zoned out or not aggressive

In game 6 against tired and scared Rockets.

Anyway, those examples don't show how many times attacking Pau worked for them...Denying that he isn't enough mobile for GSW P&Rs isn't the smartest thing in the world...

YGWHI
05-13-2017, 03:46 AM
Get under the skin of Draymond

Exactly

He's the heart of the team, the head of the snake, the...

If a teams wants to beat GSW, they need to frustrate him, take him off the game

Chinook
05-13-2017, 04:10 AM
Game 1 is Sunday, game 2 is Tuesday, game 3 is Saturday, games 4 is Monday.

Yes. There's a huge break between two and three. That's why one and two are pretty much a different series.

ceperez
05-13-2017, 04:43 AM
kyle Anderson seems to guard Durant well for some reason
I know that is not popular here but he has done well against him
I am for seeing murray and jon on him though

You need length to guard Durant so at least he thinks twice about just shooting on top of you. Anderson and maybe Bertans. I was thinking though that Dedmon might also do well.

ceperez
05-13-2017, 04:45 AM
I have a feeling Kyle will see a slight increase in minutes this series. His length will be useful against Draymond/Durant.

I think he will do very well against Draymond. He's big enough to fight him in the post.

ceperez
05-13-2017, 04:46 AM
I don't know what happened to Houston in game 6, but perhaps the added length of both Murray and Anderson was too much to handle.

Old School 44
05-13-2017, 05:15 AM
Get Kawhi angry. I hope GS continues to flex, shimmy, pose and preen after every made basket. I'd love to see what an angry, disrespected Kawhi looks like. Play loose, it's great being a huge underdog with really nothing to lose.

With the Spurs playing the Rockets and now GS, I think our 3pt shooters get overlooked. I think Danny, Patty, Kawhi and Manu will go off beyond the arc.

cd021
05-13-2017, 05:20 AM
Sure. But there are some lineups that can kill the Spurs and others more favorable

Pop will try to stay big playing Pau many minutes...IDK if the Spurs can survive with him in this series.

Gasol was actually really good at protecting the rim against Houston, hopefully that carries over to GSW

Raven
05-13-2017, 05:48 AM
we have the advantage at 3 positions, but their advantage in the backcourt should be fatal. It will be more about matchups than overall talent imo. If we can stop their pace, we should be able to abuse Draymond on every possession.

Raven
05-13-2017, 05:49 AM
Get Kawhi angry. I hope GS continues to flex, shimmy, pose and preen after every made basket. I'd love to see what an angry, disrespected Kawhi looks like. Play loose, it's great being a huge underdog with really nothing to lose.

With the Spurs playing the Rockets and now GS, I think our 3pt shooters get overlooked. I think Danny, Patty, Kawhi and Manu will go off beyond the arc.

less than a calm one.

Raven
05-13-2017, 05:59 AM
Put Kawhi on Green, Danny on Steph, and hide patty (or use Simmons) on Klay and live with it. I think if Leonard can handle Green, their offensive fluidity will be greatly reduced.

that's an awful gameplan... why would you waste kawhi on green who can be guarded by pretty much everyone on the roster short of david lee and pau gasol...

Em-City
05-13-2017, 08:15 AM
we have the advantage at 3 positions, but their advantage in the backcourt should be fatal. It will be more about matchups than overall talent imo. If we can stop their pace, we should be able to abuse Draymond on every possession.

what are these 3 positions you speak of? Centre is the only clear-cut advantage

DesignatedT
05-13-2017, 08:40 AM
From what I've been reading, granted I didn't watch a ton of the GS/Utah series, is that Utah had the most success letting Durant get his while trying to keep Curry/Thompson in check for most the night.

Raven
05-13-2017, 09:00 AM

all frontcourt positions.

Canyonero
05-13-2017, 09:09 AM
There aren't. Warriors will sweep, 20+ pts up each game.

r0drig0lac
05-13-2017, 09:29 AM

this

BSfromTX
05-13-2017, 10:39 AM
Hit threes

dedmond needed for defense

lma needs to play like g 6 every game

murray needs to become 3yr veteran overnight

and maybe Lee has given some insight to their tendencies

its not impossible, particularly since we are not expected to win. Like it said in another thread, we are the underdogs and by quite a bit in most people's views. I think that takes a ton of pressure off of these younger players and some of the vets that haven't won (LMA).

All the sweep predictions by spurs talk know it alls is just chicken shit. Too scared to show any optimism and be wrong.

Seventyniner
05-13-2017, 10:48 AM

Um, he's their best defensive player. The one you want to go after is Curry, but Parker was best equipped to do that and he's hurt.

poop
05-13-2017, 10:54 AM
Bertans playing a few minutes of aggressive defense on him . Throw in some rude sounding euro trash talk where donkey doesnt know what he is saying and it might make him go postal.

David lee would be the other candidate. Some rough elbows and constant phrases like you "will always be my backup, bitch" might set him off.

Exactly
Good idea bertans would be perfect...it would drive Gaymon crazy if a 15 year old-looking aw shucks! white bread/white boy euro was defending him hard and even scoring...he would be looking for the nearest set of testicles to kick within minutes

skulls138
05-13-2017, 11:02 AM
If they overly rely on the three I think it's a plus for us. The three is devastating when other things work well with it like scoring inside. That's when that hoop looks bigger and bigger. We must make that hoop look small....but tempting in a desperate way. We have to be smarter and more patient and win the battle of who controls the tempo. I believe in big man play in the playoffs and we are bigger. We have to make sure we dominate this area.

skulls138
05-13-2017, 11:07 AM
Exactly
Good idea bertans would be perfect...it would drive Gaymon crazy if a 15 year old-looking aw shucks! white bread/white boy euro was defending him hard and even scoring...he would be looking for the nearest set of testicles to kick within minutesBertans should get testicular pay if he gets that role. I think its an official thing since Draymon started kicking them.

CGD
05-13-2017, 11:17 AM
1. Pound the offensive glass to get extra possessions and control pace

2. Bait KD into hero/Westbrook ball so that other warriors just start looking at the ball.

3. Do the Cleveland and put curry in PnR defensive sitituations often.

4. Wear down Green in the post, even if he initially holds ground against our bigs.

5. Play loose; you're massive underdogs so what do you have to lose by playing conservatively/passive ball.

HarlemHeat37
05-13-2017, 11:36 AM
Warriors only have 2 flaws, tbh(neither of which has been evident in the playoffs, though, albeit against poor/injured competition)..turnovers and defending the glass..

They don't have any weak spots on defense(if you exclude the glass)..offensively, you have to hope they are careless and sloppy with the ball(which was the case vs. OKC last year, where Curry was still throwing behind the back passes in traffic in clutch moments:lol ) and force Draymond, Iguodala and Zaza to make open shots, that's all you can do..Draymond is shooting 50% from 3 IIRC, he's due to regress, eventually..

baseline bum
05-13-2017, 11:38 AM
Basically just pray Curry blows out his knee while running into Thompson and taking his knee out too.

TheDoctor
05-13-2017, 11:42 AM
Basically just pray Curry blows out his knee while running into Thompson and taking his knee out too.

http://rs706.pbsrc.com/albums/ww63/surfinamma/Praying/prayinghandsrose.gif~c200

Raven
05-13-2017, 04:31 PM
Um, he's their best defensive player. The one you want to go after is Curry, but Parker was best equipped to do that and he's hurt.

Aldridge can get position and shoot over him without even jumping

spursistan
05-13-2017, 04:35 PM
Nobody should be able to stop LMA, I say feed him and play Spurs style basketball and no isolation.

I also think we should play big and grab those rebounds and execute to prevent them running any fast breaks.

Play transition D, and try not to foul.

We gotta play with a lot of heart and energy and keep the crowd away from the game.

:lol

illusioNtEk
05-13-2017, 05:16 PM
:lol

ZAZA ? Gaymond ? Who can guard LMA ?

UZER
05-13-2017, 05:36 PM
ZAZA ? Gaymond ? Who can guard LMA ?

LMAs brain.

rude1_79
05-13-2017, 07:22 PM

perhaps useful on Livingston too. maybe.

rude1_79
05-13-2017, 07:31 PM
its back fired on us before, and pop has not done it much lately, and i am not the biggest fan of it. But will pop try a hack-a-whoever during this series? i dont know their percentages, but a hack-a- iggy, zaza, mcgee?

BillMc
05-13-2017, 07:35 PM
PTR has a nice look at Spurs options
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/5/13/15635320/nba-playoffs-san-antonio-spurs-golden-state-warriors-path-victory

Chews
05-13-2017, 08:15 PM
FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS. We HAVE to remain focused on both sides. I believe we have the talent to match them but they play so well together that we have to be focused 100% of the time. Talking on defense, not losing guys around screens, etc.

Also, keep the pace slow, exaggerate if you must, like we did in game 6 against Houston. Only advance the ball quickly if you're sure you will get points... otherwise run a set, post up, punish them down low. Warriors will feed off shots and if we can limit the amount of shots they get, hopefully they won't catch fire and gain rhythm. I'm confident we have the talent to beat them... I'm worried how well we will execute. Are we going to play undisciplined like game 1 vs Houston, or come out sharp like game 6 vs Houston.

tholdren
05-13-2017, 08:28 PM
keep assist count high

barbacoataco
05-13-2017, 10:14 PM
The Warriors haven't been tested yet, and it's possible that under pressure there could be egos or tension with too many guys who want the ball in their hands. Maybe that's wishful thinking. But Durant and Curry both get kind of sulky sometimes and Green is a hot head.

LakerHater
05-13-2017, 10:38 PM

Holden_Caulfield
05-13-2017, 11:34 PM
start murray

get draymond in foul trouble via aldridge

bench dominance

SpursforSix
05-14-2017, 12:00 AM
Sweep the leg

tmtcsc
05-14-2017, 01:27 AM
On offense:

1. Share the ball - make GS work on defense (Especially Curry) and SLOW things down. Mess up their pace.
2. Protect the ball - Limit turnovers, limit transition points
3. Make your FT's
4. Take advantage of height / mis-matches. Kawhi needs to spread the ball around and make sure Aldridge gets his precious touches. Kobe killed the Spurs when he would drive and dish an alley-oop to Shaq. Absolutely decimated the Spurs. He could have gotten any shot he wanted but he got in a zone during the SWEEP series of 2001 and chose his shots carefully. The defense became paralyzed when he drove because they weren't sure if he was going to shoot or dish to Shaq. As a result of his mixing his drives up with assists, he got dunks, floaters and layups.

On Defense:

1. Take advantage of GS turnovers (They are careless with the ball & will give it to you) - These are easy points
2. Body up on the wings - especially Curry. Make him work, make him tired, make him feel the defense.
3. DO NOT FOUL - They are almost automatic at the FT line

Most of all - Believe that you can win the game and that you belong there.

Spurs in 6

coachmac87
05-14-2017, 02:01 AM
On offense:

1. Share the ball - make GS work on defense (Especially Curry) and SLOW things down. Mess up their pace.
3. Make your FT's
4. Take advantage of height / mis-matches. Kawhi needs to spread the ball around and make sure Aldridge gets his precious touches. Kobe killed the Spurs when he would drive and dish an alley-oop to Shaq. Absolutely decimated the Spurs. He could have gotten any shot he wanted but he got in a zone during the SWEEP series of 2001 and chose his shots carefully. The defense became paralyzed when he drove because they weren't sure if he was going to shoot or dish to Shaq. As a result of his mixing his drives up with assists, he got dunks, floaters and layups.

On Defense:

1. Take advantage of GS turnovers (They are careless with the ball & will give it to you) - These are easy points
2. Body up on the wings - especially Curry. Make him work, make him tired, make him feel the defense.

Spurs in 6

+1

BillMc
05-14-2017, 02:05 AM
On offense:

3. Make your FT's

On Defense:

Spurs in 6
This