PDA

View Full Version : Latest 'Killer B' making playoff opponents pay

Jimcs50
10-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Oct. 13, 2005, 11:19PM

Latest 'Killer B' making playoff opponents pay
Associated Press

ST. LOUIS - The Astros have a new "Killer B."

Chris Burke had two hits, scored two runs and drove in the back-breaker for Houston in Thursday's 4-1 win over the St. Louis Cardinals, evening the NL Championship Series at 1-1.

The 25-year-old rookie hit just .248 during the regular season, mostly as a platoon left fielder facing left-handed pitching.

But he's been a terror in the postseason, going 5-8 with two homers, a triple and a double, four runs and four RBIs. His biggest hit was an 18th-inning homer in Game 4 of the first-round series with Atlanta, sending Houston to the NLCS.

And the hot bat has continued. He hit a two-run pinch homer off Chris Carpenter in his only at-bat in Wednesday's 5-3 loss in the NLCS opener.

That was more than enough to earn an October start in left field Thursday.

Burke wasted no time making it pay off: In the second inning, he hit a ball to the right-center wall and decided to go for third. He slid in just ahead of Mark Grudzielanek's relay throw, and scored on a passed ball.

"It's a rule of thumb for me if I'm at second when he has the ball I try to go for three," Burke said.

His two-out single in the eighth scored Lance Berkman to give the Astros some breathing room in what had been a 2-1 game, and he scored on Adam Everett's triple.

Still, he refused to take credit for the win, pointing to starting pitcher Roy Oswalt's dominating performance.

"I was hardly the hero tonight. Roy was great," Burke said.

Burke came up as a shortstop and learned to play outfield in spring training. Manager Phil Garner said Burke developed into what he considered the best defensive left fielder in the National League.

Burke hardly has a power-hitting pedigree. In 335 regular-season at-bats — 17 in 2004 and 318 this season — he hit five homers. In 1,836 minor-league at-bats, he hit 27.

Houston needed the lift. Before Burke's eighth-inning single, the Astros were 0-for-14 for the series with runners in scoring position.

"We're definitely pleased to take one game here and take the momentum," Burke said. "We're excited to get home to our fans and that place will be rocking."

Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio, who have played together in Houston for 14 years, became the mainstays of the "Killer B's," a group that altered its membership over the years. They've included current teammate Lance Berkman, Derek Bell and Carlos Beltran.

SWC Bonfire
10-14-2005, 09:38 AM
Calos Beltran is watching this guy from home. :lol

mookie2001
10-14-2005, 10:11 AM
if only they still had Beltran
and Kent
and Randy Johnson
and billy wagner
and cury schilling

they would be unstopable

samikeyp