View Full Version : Williams battles for open spot with Spurs

Manu20
10-14-2005, 09:49 AM
Williams battles for open spot with Spurs
BY BRIAN MACPHERSON
SENIOR WRITER
October 14, 2005

http://www.dailytarheel.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/10/14/434f2e4967d51

WINSTON-SALEM — He tended to defer to more talented teammates on the offensive end, but he scored when his team needed it most.

He found himself burned once or twice, but he provided a steady defensive presence both in the lane and on the perimeter.

On top of all that, Thursday’s game took place in the familiar confines of Wake Forest’s Lawrence Joel Coliseum.

For Jawad Williams, the adjustment to his new role on the San Antonio Spurs hasn’t been much of an adjustment at all.

“It’s not really different,” he said. “My job is to make open shots and do the little things because there are guys on this team who are already established. I’m just trying to fit in.”

Williams, who started games in all four of his years at North Carolina, scored nine points in 32 minutes for the NBA’s reigning champions Thursday. Much of his production came from the free-throw line — he went 7-for-9 at the stripe.

But with his team trailing by four to the Washington Wizards and only seconds remaining, Williams took a pass from Melvin Sanders, drove into the lane, banked the ball in off the glass and even drew a foul.

“He’s been shooting the ball real well, putting it on the floor, getting to the rack,” said Sharrod Ford, a former Clemson star also fighting for a roster spot. “Instead of sometimes maybe settling for jumpers, he’s getting to the rack more. And when he’s open, he’s taking shots when he’s open and hitting them.”

His performance throughout the preseason has opened the eyes of his new coach.

“He’s disciplined, he understands how to play a team game,” said San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich. “He’s giving all the effort, and he’s been learning and improving consistently.”

Popovich would not, however, handicap the rookie’s chances of sticking with the Spurs.

“Our team’s pretty full right now, but he’s keeping our interest,” he said.

Williams averaged 12.7 points per game during his four years at North Carolina, and he earned third-team All-ACC honors after scoring 13.1 points per game during his senior season.

He established himself as the Tar Heels’ most consistent scorer through the first half of last season, but he slumped down the stretch and through the opening rounds of the NCAA Tournament.

In perhaps his most memorable performance, Williams broke through with 20 points in UNC’s 87-71 rout of Michigan State in the national semifinal.

And when his Tar Heels captured the NCAA title two days later, Williams — who led the team’s resurrection from the worst season in its history — claimed the first souvenir net.

But a career built on steady success wasn’t enough for an NBA team to call his name on draft night.

“Those people put so much emphasis on what he does in the workouts as opposed to what’s in the body of his work over a four-year period,” said UNC coach Roy Williams, who watched Thursday’s game from press row.

He signed with the Spurs on Sept. 29 and accompanied the team to training camp in the U.S. Virgin Islands — the birthplace of star forward Tim Duncan.

Williams scored five points in limited action in a loss to Philadelphia on Wednesday, and he continued to show flashes at the offensive end against the Wizards on Thursday.

“In the NBA, they always want guys who can score, so I think he has that,” Roy Williams said. “And I think he has a toughness about him that’s good for any team to have.”

Early in the game, however, Jawad Williams didn’t have much of a chance to demonstrate either quality.

He stayed mostly out on the perimeter, collapsing into the paint only to follow a shot or to provide a screen for teammate. His primary role during the first half, in fact, seemed simply to be inbounding the ball on set plays and watching Ford put the ball in the basket.

Williams grew more active on the offensive end in the second quarter, driving twice to the basket to earn trips to the free-throw line, but he began to struggle on the defensive end.

He lost Jarvis Hayes in a screen on the left side and allowed him to bury a 3-pointer over his outstretched hand. And on the Wizards’ next possession, Williams switched to guarding Caron Butler — and promptly allowed the former Connecticut star to swish a 12-footer from the baseline.

“There are guys out here who can really fill it up,” Williams said. “Everybody at this level can score.”

It took more than 47 minutes of game action for the former Tar Heel to fit himself into that category — he missed two 3-point attempts in the second half. But his drive to the basket in the final minute provided a glimpse of the talent and desire that prompted the Spurs to give him a chance in the first place.

Williams intends to make the most of that chance.

“It looks pretty good,” he said. “Things are going well, guys are working hard, and I’m just playing my part.”

And he hasn’t had to make too many adjustments — other than the number on his jersey.

After wearing No. 21 for four years at North Carolina, Williams had to settle for No. 1 — an adjustment made necessary by the presence of Duncan, a two-time NBA Most Valuable Player.

“I knew it wasn’t going to happen, so I didn’t even act like it was going to happen,” Williams said. “I knew I had to get a new number.”

Contact the Sports Editor at [email protected].

Doc Jerome
10-14-2005, 11:09 AM
I have not seen any pre-season games so I am completely relying on 2nd hand information about this guy. Everything I have read thus far is in the negative as far as Jawad's play; however, Pop seems to think this guy is talented enough to take a longer look at him.

I guess everyone is not privy as to what the exact role/assignment each player has on the floor. He must be doing something right, otherwise why would Pop say what he said, co-signed by Ford.

Lets just wait and see what unfolds. Besides, I don't think Pop wants another undersized guy on the team (been there done that) unless that guy overwhelmingly compells Pop to give him a spot. :fro

Marcus Bryant
10-14-2005, 11:33 AM
He looked absolutely horrid in the Heat game. But you never know, maybe he'll put it together and make the team. It sounds like he'll at least have a full camp to make a case for himself.

ChumpDumper
10-14-2005, 12:00 PM
He got perhaps his best chance last night playing what seems to be Finley's role and minutes. His shot wan't falling but he got to the line alot. Don't think he did enough to leapfrog Sanders and Ford as being a potential keeper though.