PDA

View Full Version : Regular Season resting overrated or not?

100%duncan
05-14-2017, 06:20 PM
This postseason has shown us some points that "rest" doesn't really matter :lol

1. Kawhi didn't at all look tired from carrying the spurs the whole year
2. Still got injured twice because of a freak occurrence and a dirty play
3. Manu had a shitty first series despite a lot of rests.

Otoh, TP played well in the playoffs after weeks of rests...

Discuss to avoid suicidal thoughts tbh

Floyd Pacquiao
05-14-2017, 06:22 PM
Manu is fucking old. If he didn't rest he wouldn't even be in the NBA anymore. He 17 points today

tholdren
05-14-2017, 06:25 PM
rest is overrated. do you see bodybuilders resting? they push their bodies past the max daily. These guys don't know how to work or really even the science behind it. They play 40 minutes 80 times a year on one side of the court for 5 to 10 seconds at a time. wtf

DMC
05-14-2017, 06:25 PM
It's why we are here and Houston isn't.

The only thing that's going to get us back to the Finals is either miracle injuries to our opponents or real talent. Old guys with one year under their belts in the "system" can't be expected to beat colluding all stars. Paul George, Chris Paul, Paul Milsap, Paul Pierce, Paul McCartney.. George Hill, Devean George, George of the Jungle... All these players could help.

tholdren
05-14-2017, 06:27 PM
It's why we are here and Houston isn't.

The only thing that's going to get us back to the Finals is either miracle injuries to our opponents or real talent. Old guys with one year under their belts in the "system" can't be expected to beat colluding all stars. Paul George, Chris Paul, Paul Milsap, Paul Pierce, Paul McCartney.. George Hill, Devean George, George of the Jungle... All these players could help.

no it's not.

DMC
05-14-2017, 06:28 PM
no it's not.

Sure it is.

I forgot George Jefferson and Les Paul.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-14-2017, 06:31 PM
Not overrated, it's important and no surprise all teams are going in this direction. It's not only the rest and less minutes for the stars , it's also about giving opportunity for the other players to step up, develop and build chemistry.

tholdren
05-14-2017, 06:31 PM
Sure it is.

I forgot George Jefferson and Les Paul.

rest had nothing to do with winning in houston. you're confusing depth with rest.

tholdren
05-14-2017, 06:32 PM
Not overrated, it's important and no surprise all teams are going in this direction. It's not only the rest and less minutes for the stars , it's also about giving opportunity for the other players to step up, develop and build chemistry.

if that's the case then why isn't dedmon getting minutes? he was a starter for half the year

SAGirl
05-14-2017, 06:34 PM
I think Pop has been fine with his rest scticks. Some old legs do need it. Some guys who have nags do need it. Etc. There are still freak occurrences and dirty plays.... that can't be foreseen or prevented.

dabom
05-14-2017, 06:35 PM
It's easier to tweek your ankle if he was already compensating for other shit like his knee being bad.

Does he over compensated and put extra pressure on his other leg/ankle, hence it also being weak, and he gets a sprain when he probably wouldn't have gotten that with a healthy knee and not over compensated ankle?

hitmanyr2k
05-14-2017, 06:38 PM
For players younger than 29 I think the micro-managing of minutes is overrated. You're short-changing the conditioning of young players by treating them like they're 33 years old. If a player is conditioned to play only 32-34 minutes a game what happens when that player is needed for 40+ minutes in the playoffs? He's going to get gassed.

05-14-2017, 06:40 PM
It's important for older players, but insignificant for young guys. Most injuries in the playoffs are just freak injuries or dirty plays (I.E. Kevin Love/Kyrie in '15, Bogut/Curry '16, Kawhi/Parker '17)

tholdren
05-14-2017, 06:42 PM
For players younger than 29 I think the micro-managing of minutes is overrated. You're short-changing the conditioning of young players by treating them like they're 33 years old. If a player is conditioned to play only 32-34 minutes a game what happens when that player is needed for 40+ minutes in the playoffs? He's going to get gassed.

correct for most, age has nothing to do with rest needing more.