PDA

View Full Version : Malik doing us proud!

ducks
10-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Knicks: Rose has edge over Taylor

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Friday, October 14, 2005

News
Knicks forward Malik Rose seems to have the edge over Maurice Taylor at power forward, according to Newsday.

Views
Really, it's not too surprising that coach Larry Brown would lean towards starting Rose, who'll play tough defense and work hard at both ends of the floor. However, from a fantasy perspective, it's hard to imagine Rose giving owners more than 10 points and seven boards a night, and that's an incredibly optimistic forecast.

angel_luv
10-14-2005, 11:21 AM
I know he isn't a Spur anymore but still. = )

http://www.nba.com/knicks/news/trainingcamp_051008.html

Notes from Training Camp - Oct 8, 2005
by Tony Ciuffo

Knicks Model Themselves on Malik
Charleston, SC, October 8, 2005 -- Thanks to his mother Janet, Malik Rose's career has been one based on a work ethic and energy level that is second to none in the NBA.
"My work ethic started with my mother," said Rose, who was a key member of San Antonio's NBA Championship teams of 1999 and 2003. "She was a single mother of six. I used to watch how she went out all the time and worked so hard for my brothers, my sister and I.

"My mother use to always tell us it's not how many times you get knocked down, but how long you stay there. That's really the foundation of my work ethic. I've gotten knocked down but I've always picked myself up, dusted myself off and kept going."

Rose
The former Drexel University standout and Philadelphia native also brings leadership, and nine years of NBA experience to Larry Brown's first New York squad.

"When you have role models and examples like Malik that have been in the league, it makes the young player's transition so much easier," said Brown. "He's always been a guy who is going to give it all he has, whether he's sitting on the bench or playing 40 minutes. "He is what our league is suppose to be about.

For the newest of Knicks or the NBA vets, Rose's effort hasn't gone unnoticed.

"He's been my gauge on to when to say I'm tired and when not to, and I haven't said I'm tired yet," added rookie Channing Frye. "He works so hard and he's been around this league a long time and he's a champion and I really look up to him."

Crawford
"Just the way he carries himself, you can tell he comes from a winning program," said teammate Jamal Crawford, now in his sixth NBA season. "He'll do whatever it takes to win. He doesn't care if he's playing 10 or 20 minutes, he going to contribute and play as hard as he can."

Rose, who was traded to the Knicks last February, has made a living with his hard-hat defensive approach to the game.

"I've got to stop people," added Rose. "That's been the staple in my career. I've routinely been put on the other team's best player. I take that as a challenge and I embrace it. It's what I always had to do to make the team."

The 6-7, 255-pound forward has played in 589 career games, grabbed nearly 3,000 rebounds and is just 808 points shy of 5,000 for his career.

He's got his own website (www.malikrose.com), a collection of over 1,500 CDs ranging from rap to classical and he opened his own restaurant - Malik's Philly's Phamous - in September of 2003 in San Antonio's Quarry Market. His restaurant features a full menu and everything from authentic cheesecakes to 19 flavors of Italian ice.

"Mom is the boss of the restaurant," added Rose, whose favorite sandwich is the cheese steak hoagie known affectionately "Malik's Favorite". "She pretty much runs the place, and that's fine with me."

And, we're all certainly grateful to his mother for that.

angel_luv
10-14-2005, 11:22 AM
LOL! Great Minds! I just posted an article about Malik too! = )

Kori Ellis
10-14-2005, 11:25 AM
I merged them together :)

angel_luv
10-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Hehe! For a second there I thought I posted in my thread twice.

Marcus Bryant
10-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Gee, who would've thought that 'troublemaker' Malik would be so well regarded?

No surprise whatsoever. But Spurs fans bit on that fiction hard.

Taco
10-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Malik = SA

Doc Jerome
10-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Great character, great work ethic.

batman2883
10-14-2005, 11:39 AM
his cheesesteaks are fucking awesome

Marcus Bryant
10-14-2005, 11:40 AM
I'd like to see Malik end up with the Cavs. It'd be a great fit for both parties.

PM5K
10-14-2005, 11:45 AM
He can easily score more than ten points and get more than seven boards, well maybe on the boards part.

It's just a matter of what they need him to do, when Timmy was out Malik and Rasho stepped up big, but when he's here they try to find roles and not impose themselves on the game...

ObiwanGinobili
10-14-2005, 11:49 AM
I <3 Malik!! :makeout
man i miss him..... .thankgoodness for Mailk's hometown Philly! It's just so yummy!

Ishta
10-14-2005, 11:52 AM
I had no doubt in my mind Malik would do well wherever he went. Continue to do us proud Likie

TDMVPDPOY
10-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Is he goin to teach curry how to pumpfake like the master?

Kori Ellis
10-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Is he goin to teach curry how to pumpfake like the master?

I believe Nazr surpassed Malik and took over the title of the Master.

ducks
10-14-2005, 12:02 PM
I'd like to see Malik end up with the Cavs. It'd be a great fit for both parties.

why james can not get his team to the postseason :rolleyes

ObiwanGinobili
10-14-2005, 12:03 PM
I think Nazr pumpfakes a bit too much. Sometimes after the 13th pumpfake in 0.3 seconds.. i'm just sittign there wonderign when he's gonna stop. :lol

ChumpDumper
10-14-2005, 12:06 PM
[Submits early nomination for kluby] (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=539355&postcount=15)

TDMVPDPOY
10-14-2005, 12:42 PM
I think Nazr pumpfakes a bit too much. Sometimes after the 13th pumpfake in 0.3 seconds.. i'm just sittign there wonderign when he's gonna stop. :lol

Im sittin here waitin for the ref to call a 3 sec in the key voilation...

Despot
10-14-2005, 01:18 PM

I know, he reminds me of one of those dipping birds when he does that

easjer
10-14-2005, 01:55 PM
I know, he reminds me of one of those dipping birds when he does that

You too? Glad it is not just me.

pjjrfan
10-14-2005, 03:18 PM
I thought the same thing, his leadership skills and his work ethic I think would be invaluable to James, Coach Brown and the Cavs team.

I never saw Malik as a trouble maker, but since he got here this young man has always spoken his mind. There is a reason he was a favorite of the media, the guy is intelligent and well spoken and always has something to say that while some may not like it, it is how he feels or sees things. I've always seen Malik, Sean and Manu as probably the best interviews on the Spurs team.

SpursFreak1320
10-14-2005, 03:28 PM
:angel

2centsworth
10-14-2005, 04:22 PM
It's cool having Malik and Larry Brown on the Knicks because it gives me a team to cheer for in the East.

xcoriate
10-14-2005, 07:09 PM
your going to cheer for the Knicks?

ouch.

SequSpur
10-14-2005, 08:47 PM
Malik Rose will be traded before November.

tw05baller
10-14-2005, 09:39 PM
maliks resteraunt is overpriced.

spurs=bling
10-14-2005, 09:39 PM
Malik Rose will be traded before November.
Again?

but its nice that Malik is going to get some mins

spurs=bling
10-14-2005, 09:40 PM
maliks resteraunt is overpriced.

Maliks Philly Phamous is bad ass. :tu

davi78239
10-15-2005, 10:33 AM
Haven't eaten there but once. I need to go back the next time we go to the quarry. I hope he builds one in The Forum shopping center one day. Hey, has anyone tried the pizza or the italian ice there?

exstatic
10-15-2005, 11:10 AM
No surprise whatsoever. But Spurs fans bit on that fiction hard.

Yeah, because Malik never admitted to Pop in the exit interview that he dogged it in 2003-3004 just to irritate him after being benched. He also never got into a fight with AJ in Cleveland. I like Malik, but he wrote his own ticket out of town.

angel_luv
10-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Haven't eaten there but once. I need to go back the next time we go to the quarry. I hope he builds one in The Forum shopping center one day. Hey, has anyone tried the pizza or the italian ice there?

You need to go to Malik's new place by the Silverado movie theater and order his Shrimp Alfredo.

It is to die for! Yummy!

bigzak25
10-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Godbless Malik!

if Brown starts him? Malik is gonna be an Eastern Conference All Star! :tu

Malik's stats and the New York press will get him there. :)

spurs=bling
10-15-2005, 02:00 PM
You need to go to Malik's new place by the Silverado movie theater and order his Shrimp Alfredo.

It is to die for! Yummy!

it is good.

SequSpur
10-15-2005, 02:15 PM
if Brown starts him? Malik is gonna be an Eastern Conference All Star!

I got some ocean front property in arizona.... from my frontporch you can see the sea....

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

Crack kills.

bigzak25
10-15-2005, 03:40 PM
you can't even climb your front porch, stretch. :lol

the next Spurs player you show faith in will be the 1st. :tu

SequSpur
10-15-2005, 06:46 PM
the next Spurs player you show faith in will be the 1st

First of all Malik is not a Spur, when he was a spur, he had an attitude problem, he was worthless and he was rightfully sent packin.

I show faith in almost all the Spurs except a few.

You mean to tell me you saw some light in Carl Herrera or Anthony Carter?

Huh?

End of Discuss.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Malik led the Knicks (slong with Ariza) in rebounds in 16 minutes of play.

As a starter.

Get used to it.

[clears spot on mantle for latest kluby]

T Park
10-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Yeah, because Malik never admitted to Pop in the exit interview that he dogged it in 2003-3004 just to irritate him after being benched. He also never got into a fight with AJ in Cleveland. I like Malik, but he wrote his own ticket out of town.

Now now Ex, dont let facts and common sense get in the way.

angel_luv
10-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Malik led the Knicks (slong with Ariza) in rebounds in 16 minutes of play.

As a starter.

Get used to it.

Malik started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last night was a good basketball night! :elephant

Old School Chic
10-16-2005, 01:16 PM
God bless Malik for being a great person! :spin

He deserves the best! I also hope that he kicks his Mom's ex-boyfriends ass again and again......

That jerk made business cards that said "Rick Mcleary, Malik's Dad" :lol

Vashner
10-16-2005, 04:43 PM
Whoot that's my boy!!

He should open a couple of his Philly joints in NYC.

bigzak25
10-17-2005, 01:10 AM
First of all Malik is not a Spur, when he was a spur, he had an attitude problem, he was worthless and he was rightfully sent packin.

I show faith in almost all the Spurs except a few.

You mean to tell me you saw some light in Carl Herrera or Anthony Carter?

Huh?

End of Discuss.

he wears a knicks jersey, very astute. :tu

but he will always be a spur brother. INTEGRAL part of ALL 3 CHAMPIONSHIPS.

yes, all 3. without malik, we don't have Nazr. without Nazr, no rings last season.

i'm glad you are talking about attitude and worthless as you are the R-Ex on the subject with reference to some of your posts. :tu

i will no longer question your faith in spurs 'except a few'.

Anthony Carter helped win the first regular season game for us in his season with the Spurs if you recall. And yeah, I supported Carl Herrerra when he was here...but your right...HE WAS NO MALIK!

you mean to tell me you've had that manu jersey you own the whole time you were calling him 'manure'?

and DO NOT make me pull up that 'it's over' post of yours after the game 1 loss to denver...:lmao

i love you man, but i got malik's back, always will...

END OF DISCUSS. <----very nice, by the way....:lol :tu

bigzak25
10-17-2005, 02:00 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/finals2003/rose_300_030603.jpg

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nba/_photos2/2002-05-09-inside-rose2.jpg

http://www.enonlinestore.com/images/large/758.jpg

:smokin

T Park
10-17-2005, 03:16 AM
You mean to tell me you saw some light in Carl Herrera

I foolishly did.

The guy was a stud in Houston for the Rockets championship teams, and it was thought with more PT, and a starting role, and playing next to Robinson would make him even better.

Hey, he got us Antonio Daniels. wich got us Steve Kerr back.

Ishta
10-17-2005, 07:07 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/finals2003/rose_300_030603.jpg

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nba/_photos2/2002-05-09-inside-rose2.jpg

:smokin
Very nice!!

Marcus Bryant
10-17-2005, 09:09 AM
By the time AJ and Malik got into it in Cleveland, AJ's days in SA were numbered. His role on the team was different. Not everyone was with AJ. Also, no one has yet come clean on what really happened, so to pin it on Rose is a bit unfair.

You know, Rose should've just signed that deal with the Lakers back in 2002 as much as people seem to believe he was that awful and non-essential to 2 title runs.

angel_luv
10-17-2005, 09:48 AM

When was Aunt Jemina on the Spurs? :lol