PDA

View Full Version : RC, Pop and LMA

RD2191
05-17-2017, 05:44 PM
How could they not know that this guy was not the answer? Not only is he physically soft he's also mentally soft. You almost feel bad for the guy, it's clear that he doesn't care/can't handle pressure in the playoffs or big games in general. How could they not see this coming? Could they have walked away when it was between them and the SUNS? The gawd awful/loser franchise Suns?!? Come on man..

Dex
05-17-2017, 05:52 PM
Hot take. This definitely deserved a new thread.

RD2191
05-17-2017, 05:55 PM
Hot take. This definitely deserved a new thread.

For sure, thanks for the support. Call ESPN and let them know.

Leetonidas
05-17-2017, 06:03 PM
I'd rather have fatmelo over this chump tbh

MultiTroll
05-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Speculation:
They thought combo of "Spurs Culture" and *best coach in the NBA* would elevate Aldridge beyond his JailBlazers performances.

As it was
2016 Up 2-1 on OKC before the bedshitting.
2017 Up 1-0 on Golden Showers before the shitheading.

I would like to know why at this date CIA Popped continues to run the offense thru him as if he is Sacred Cow #1 option Top 5 NBA player. Turn the youngsters loose and lets see if a Houston Game 6 type offense can be had. Golden Showers defense is not that much better then Houstons. (Offense, yes of course. Not D.)

TheRemix
05-17-2017, 06:12 PM
I always got that vibe from him that he never wanted to be a #1 option. He's just not the player we all hoped he would be

skulls138
05-17-2017, 06:21 PM
Tbh, there's not a lot out there and we needed someone to have a future with Kawhi. They should have picked up on it with the wine-me-dine-me bs and having to have Bowens #. Not to mention the Lilliard friction, which DL might be the good guy considering it all.

testies
05-17-2017, 07:03 PM
I don't think he's that soft, it's just that he's a mouthbreather.

Poop said he needed him to be a creator in game 2, he literally was passing wide open layups with no one guarding him. I think he's the type of guy that clicks on "You just won $10000000!" ads on the internet

spursmvp
05-17-2017, 08:45 PM
No choice. There wasn't any other prominent FA's that summer. Marc quickly re-signed. Can't remember if conley was that same summer. It was either LMA or re-sign splitter or the other turd towers which would've meant first round exit for sure.

Chris
05-17-2017, 08:50 PM
Wasn't it Pop who said early on (not to the public) "I don't know what to do with him..." or "he just doesn't get it"? Something to that effect. He was never a good fit here, and it always seemed to me that he wasn't comfortable living in San Antonio. His basketball IQ is the shits, which is also prevalent in his post game interviews. Pop probably doesn't have much respect for him anymore which usually trickles down to the rest of the team. Even casual Spurs fans don't like him :lol GTFO tbh

jermaine
05-17-2017, 08:54 PM
I'd rather have fatmelo over this chump tbh

A lineup of Mills, Simmons, Kawhi, Melo, an Dedmon don't sound to shabby right about now. With the league turning into small ball!!!

TheDoctor
05-17-2017, 08:56 PM
I don't think he's that soft, it's just that he's a mouthbreather.

Poop said he needed him to be a creator in game 2, he literally was passing wide open layups with no one guarding him. I think he's the type of guy that clicks on "You just won $10000000!" ads on the internet

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lmao

Russ
05-17-2017, 09:00 PM
How could they not know that this guy was not the answer? Not only is he physically soft he's also mentally soft. You almost feel bad for the guy, it's clear that he doesn't care/can't handle pressure in the playoffs or big games in general. How could they not see this coming? Could they have walked away when it was between them and the SUNS? The gawd awful/loser franchise Suns?!? Come on man..

Go back and check the discussion at the time of the Aldridge signing. Most people knew he was not a perfect fit for the Spurs. People recognized that he was mostly a 6'11" jumpshooter rather than a tough inside presence.

Then people were also disappointed that he seemed unable to make up his mind and seemed to want more recruiting attention.

He wasn't a perfect fit for the Spurs, but he was a good enough player that having him would be better than not having him.

Despite some reservations at the time of the signing, I still feel the Spurs were better off the last couple of years with LMA than without him (although both sides have valid arguments).

TheDoctor
05-17-2017, 09:01 PM
A lineup of Mills, Simmons, Kawhi, Melo, an Dedmon don't sound to shabby right about now. With the league turning into small ball!!!

IF we are pulling our hairs from just watching LMA do a bunch of nonsense fadeaways after fadeaways w/ Melo is gonna be much worse :lol Plus that contract.

Down Under
05-17-2017, 09:05 PM
I dont think Aldridge is soft as such, I've seen him have playoff games where he dominates the offensive glass as well as getting deep post position, turning and scoring over his man at will. He just doesn't have the desire or belief that he can do it every night in the playoffs, which makes it more frustrating for the fans. Never forget RJ.

MultiTroll
05-17-2017, 09:23 PM
Black reporter: "Back to Lamarcus, you said he was timid. Any idea where that comes from?"

Pop fidgeting and defensive: "wwwwwh....You want me to be a psychologist now? You want me to uuuuuuu ? I'll pass I already talked about what I need from LeMarcus. I'm not going to psychoanalyze him I don't think he deserves that." - Wow listen to the noises Pop makes. Sounds like a freaking owl. In an obviously defensive response.

Great question by that reporter. Excellent and most appropriate question.
Jabbari SA Express News.
6:07 - 6:37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8vvj6T0v7c

GSH
05-17-2017, 09:33 PM

When he was signed, the Spurs had an aging but fully functional Tim Duncan. And it was the most excited this place has EVER been during an offseason. And just about the only worries/complaints about signing LMA was people who said that he would pout if he wasn't the first scoring option on the team. That first year, he was a solid second option - he totaled a little over 1,300 points, to Kawhi's 1,500 points, and the Spurs' defensive stats were damned impressive until Duncan's injury in December.

He dropped of in just about everything this year. I'm not even going to try to talk about why, because that's not the point of the thread. The point is, when he was signed, it looked like a very good move. He didn't have to be "the answer" - that's Kawhi. All he had to do was be a positive addition to that frontcourt. And he was. If we had the Tim Duncan of '14-'15, which is what the team had when they signed LMA, he would make a lot more sense. As a first option on a team with no consistent playmaker, and no legit starting center? He doesn't make sense. I'm sure that if the team didn't have Kawhi, Tony, and Duncan, they wouldn't have signed LMA to be "the answer".

jermaine
05-17-2017, 10:03 PM
IF we are pulling our hairs from just watching LMA do a bunch of nonsense fadeaways after fadeaways w/ Melo is gonna be much worse :lol Plus that contract.

I bet you Melo would at least be tryna do something. LMA didn't even try.

tbdog
05-17-2017, 10:16 PM
LMA perhaps is one of those guys who needs a dirty player to play alongside him. I think the best player available would by Taj Gibson or a far less extent Amir Johnson. LMA should from now on be a center but still have a dirty working, blue collar guy doing the hard staff. I would be disappointed if we kept Gasol as a primary piece. Which is my main concern of having Bertans being a new starting power forward with LMA. He just doesn’t have the ability to do the dirty work that makes LMA much better. Knowing the Spurs, we would end with Spencer Hawes though.

Pound the rock
05-17-2017, 10:49 PM
When he was signed, the Spurs had an aging but fully functional Tim Duncan. And it was the most excited this place has EVER been during an offseason. And just about the only worries/complaints about signing LMA was people who said that he would pout if he wasn't the first scoring option on the team. That first year, he was a solid second option - he totaled a little over 1,300 points, to Kawhi's 1,500 points, and the Spurs' defensive stats were damned impressive until Duncan's injury in December.

He dropped of in just about everything this year. I'm not even going to try to talk about why, because that's not the point of the thread. The point is, when he was signed, it looked like a very good move. He didn't have to be "the answer" - that's Kawhi. All he had to do was be a positive addition to that frontcourt. And he was. If we had the Tim Duncan of '14-'15, which is what the team had when they signed LMA, he would make a lot more sense. As a first option on a team with no consistent playmaker, and no legit starting center? He doesn't make sense. I'm sure that if the team didn't have Kawhi, Tony, and Duncan, they wouldn't have signed LMA to be "the answer".

Alot of people here were excited about the acquisition of Aldridge, all those gifs "it's happening" and such....hindsight is 20/20

FkLA
05-17-2017, 11:00 PM
I don't think he's soft as a person. I actually think if some shit were to start with GS he'd be one of the first ones to jump in. He had a couple of altercations when he was in Portland. He's not a pussy in that way imo.

I honestly think his problem might be his conditioning. He resorts to that fadeaway bc of it, and it just looks soft when it isn't falling. Every once in a while he makes some strong ass moves but he probably isn't in good enough shape to play like that all game. He doesn't strike me as a guy that's in optimal shape like Timmy always was. I think he would really benefit from dropping 15-20 lbs now that he's in his 30s. He looks really immobile even when he attacks the basket.

GSH
05-17-2017, 11:09 PM
LMA perhaps is one of those guys who needs a dirty player to play alongside him. I think the best player available would by Taj Gibson or a far less extent Amir Johnson. LMA should from now on be a center but still have a dirty working, blue collar guy doing the hard staff. I would be disappointed if we kept Gasol as a primary piece. Which is my main concern of having Bertans being a new starting power forward with LMA. He just doesn’t have the ability to do the dirty work that makes LMA much better. Knowing the Spurs, we would end with Spencer Hawes though.

That's not a bad take. Funny font, but a decent take. :D

Aldridge would benefit from having a junkyard dog on the floor with him. But when you talk about having a PF along with LMA, though I don't understand. LMA isn't playing C. It's just not happening. Everything that's wrong with him at PF would be that much worse at the center. He won't root for position, he won't fight to hold his position. When he gets pushed, he gives ground. I honestly can't remember if he's always been that bad about contact - I don't trust my memory, anyway, because I thought he was better than this. But Bertans sure as hell isn't a center, and the other two guys you mentioned are both (listed) 6'9" PF's. I think Gibson, at least, is probably fudging that height a little. Johnson is a combo-forward, not a F/C. I understand what you're saying about putting a tough player in the middle with LMA. But it's got to be a legit C, and I don't see either of those guys that way.

GSH
05-17-2017, 11:11 PM
I don't think he's soft as a person. I actually think if some shit were to start with GS he'd be one of the first ones to jump in. He had a couple of altercations when he was in Portland. He's not a pussy in that way imo.

I honestly think his problem might be his conditioning. He resorts to that fadeaway bc of it, and it just looks soft when it isn't falling. Every once in a while he makes some strong ass moves but he probably isn't in good enough shape to play like that all game. He doesn't strike me as a guy that's in optimal shape like Timmy always was. I think he would really benefit from dropping 15-20 lbs now that he's in his 30s. He looks really immobile even when he attacks the basket.

I wish I had said that. It sure matches with what I see on the court. And, yeah, Tim was incredible about staying in shape - even dropping a lot of weight later in his career, to take some of the strain off his knees.

Hoops Czar
05-17-2017, 11:23 PM

Take Mills name out of your mouth.

DMC
05-17-2017, 11:51 PM

It's like fishing a narrow stream where one big fish comes along every few years. You take it and worry about how it tastes later. What were our options? We are in the Western Conference Finals, and could have a puncher's chance to win if KL wasn't out. If we had KL and Tony, we could put up a fight. LMA isn't anywhere near KD's level of dominance, KD is the best player on the GS team and that's saying a hell of a lot. LMA isn't the best player on the Spurs, and yet you expected what, for some magical big to appear out of Croatia, for Boban to develop?

Not sure what you think the alternative was or why you give a fuck about how much the Spurs spent.

LMA is perfect for Tony, both paint by numbers guys. You have to have a template and they will repeat it over and over. Instead you're looking for a take-charge guy who creates. That's never been LMA.

$pursDynasty
05-17-2017, 11:51 PM
Screw old Melo trade him for Boogie!

BillMc
05-17-2017, 11:56 PM

Spot on post. If he stays a Spur, hopefully the way he performed and the hit his rep has taken, will motivate him to have a "get fit" off season.

Darius Bieber
05-18-2017, 12:47 AM
Damn, I would have loved Boogie on this team. I know for sure if he saw Zaza put down Leonard like that, he'd step in immediately and have his teammates back.

tbdog
05-18-2017, 12:47 AM
That's not a bad take. Funny font, but a decent take. :D

Aldridge would benefit from having a junkyard dog on the floor with him. But when you talk about having a PF along with LMA, though I don't understand. LMA isn't playing C. It's just not happening. Everything that's wrong with him at PF would be that much worse at the center. He won't root for position, he won't fight to hold his position. When he gets pushed, he gives ground. I honestly can't remember if he's always been that bad about contact - I don't trust my memory, anyway, because I thought he was better than this. But Bertans sure as hell isn't a center, and the other two guys you mentioned are both (listed) 6'9" PF's. I think Gibson, at least, is probably fudging that height a little. Johnson is a combo-forward, not a F/C. I understand what you're saying about putting a tough player in the middle with LMA. But it's got to be a legit C, and I don't see either of those guys that way.

Because LMA looks slower than I thought, and he will only get slower. Pick n Roll defence is his weakness, and teams will always exploit that. LMA post defence his pretty good. By having a hard worker guy like Gibson would mean you would have someone that will rotate quickly, bang with the bigs, block shots or contest, and if teams put Gibson in the pick n roll, it only benefits us because LMA is pretty good post defender and Gibson is pretty good pick n roll defender.

Ideally, yeah perhaps a legit center would be beneficial, however those guys are near max guys or have serious offensive liability issues. Dedmon is close but he will get paid and he still has issues in his game that will most likely never improve. Cheap guys like Splitter (injury prone and an injury liability, Bogut injury prone and slow, Hibbert now is useless.) Could we put on a package to inquire Drummond? I don’t think so.

Gasol signing was always a head scratcher defensively, and it just hasn’t worked offensively as we imagined. This was a desperate attempt from Pop to establish leadership with Duncan gone, and I really hope he doesn’t do the same with Parker possibly gone for most of the year also.

Back to LMA; LMA needs to know sooner rather than later that he is a center, as long as front office then addresses that, because I don’t see it possible to afford to get a legit starting center where a starting pf would be cheaper and almost as effective. Having a hardworking pf also means they can play Gasol with him if front office maturely choose to keep him.

We saw some glimpse from Lee and Dedmon what this would look like. However Lee is inconsistent in defence an Dedmon is inconsistent at both. And we also saw glimpse when LMA paired with Diaw and West that it does work with LMA at center. Overall, in two season, LMA playing center has been better, and we havent had a starting PF calibre player to go along with him.

There are other names Spurs could look to trade for. Arthur 8mil. Larry Nance rookie contract. Faried (12mil)

Spurs need to make a decision what way they are going to build around Leonard. Lock in with 3&D or surround him with shooters and scorers? Contrary to the belief, but I think our bigs are more of an issue than our wings. Green and Simmons are SG you want to have for now and the future. They are serviceable, should be well priced, and can both play together and with Leonard. Murray looks like our starting PG sooner rather than later. Leonard has our SF covered. And I do believe LMA can be our starter now and for the future, but the current make up on the team is disorganised, perhaps the least organised team for a long time, and that has nothing to do with LMA. Front office signed 2 defensive-less bigs in Lee and Gasol. And there is nothing wrong with Lee, for that contract he has given us more than we wanted. But then to sign Gasol and Dedmon, who each can’t play with each other is a poor move. Plus they are on the slow side, even Dedmon is little slower than I thought, and we should be running with Leonard and Green. Put LMA and center and put a PF who is willing to run up and down the court.

With Murray, Green, Simmons, and Leonard, we have a good athletic side and we really should double down with that and become a gritty side so LMA can thrive offensively and even defensively. With that being said, we are short in shooters. So front office need to work out what is required here.

Remember you only need 8 to 9 rotational players to form a championship team. Your starting 5, plus 1 backup point, 1 backup swing, 1 backup big, and 1 specialist. The rest are made up with vets, prospects, and specialist.

PS: I like this font.

testies
05-18-2017, 12:51 AM
Is there a way we can get Boogie?

I don't know the salary shit, how much space do we need?

timtonymanu
05-18-2017, 01:24 AM
:lmao going on the Boris Diaw diet after signing with an accomplished franchise.

Him coming into camp out of shape in 2015 was the first red flag. Even the fact that he was considering going to Phoenix was troubling enough.

He shows flashes here and there but he hasn't been a consistently reliable player. He's so one dimensional.

John B
05-20-2017, 03:17 PM
LMA is a stretch 4, and not even consistent at that.

UZER
05-20-2017, 03:19 PM
Black reporter: "Back to Lamarcus, you said he was timid. Any idea where that comes from?"

Pop fidgeting and defensive: "wwwwwh....You want me to be a psychologist now? You want me to uuuuuuu ? I'll pass I already talked about what I need from LeMarcus. I'm not going to psychoanalyze him I don't think he deserves that." - Wow listen to the noises Pop makes. Sounds like a freaking owl. In an obviously defensive response.

Great question by that reporter. Excellent and most appropriate question.
Jabbari SA Express News.
6:07 - 6:37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8vvj6T0v7c

And he had just "psychoanalyzed the team not 2 minutes earlier.

spursistan
05-20-2017, 03:25 PM
Could be playing in his last games in Spurs uniform, tbh..Pop exasperation with him might reach a tipping point if he curls up in the fetal position just when the team needs him.

RD2191
06-22-2017, 11:19 AM
:wakeup

baseline bum
06-22-2017, 11:32 AM

And our president said Mexico wasn't sending us their best. robdiaz with the truth bombs.

$pursDynasty
06-22-2017, 11:40 AM
I was hoping to keep LMA and swap Pau for Boogie, but if LMA wants out why wouldn't the Pels consider that trade? I think LMA and AD's games might mesh better than AD's and Boogie's. A straight up swap. Plus LMA has one more year on his deal than Boogie.

TimDunkem
06-22-2017, 11:42 AM
Pels don't even have a season with AD and DC under their belt yet. They're not making a move for LaSoftus.

baseline bum
06-22-2017, 11:42 AM
I was hoping to keep LMA and swap Pau for Boogie, but if LMA wants out why wouldn't the Pels consider that trade? I think LMA and AD's games might mesh better than AD's and Boogie's. A straight up swap. Plus LMA has one more year on his deal than Boogie.

Let's trade him to Golden State for Durant instead.

RD2191
06-22-2017, 11:43 AM
And our president said Mexico wasn't sending us their best. robdiaz with the truth bombs.
:lmao:toast

DesignatedT
06-22-2017, 11:43 AM

:lol

timtonymanu
06-22-2017, 11:44 AM
:wakeup

So much truth bombs in that post

RD2191
11-14-2018, 09:58 PM
Sigh. :wakeup