PDA

View Full Version : 90's Alt-Rock/Grunge Frontman Power Rankings

Monostradamus
05-18-2017, 09:02 PM
In honor of another dead guy, let's do some ranking.

1. Kurt Cobain
2. Eddie Vedder
3. Dave Grohl
4. Gwen Stefani
5. Anthony Keidis
6. Chris Cornell
7. Billy Joe Armstrong
8. Trent Reznor
9. Billy Corgan
10. Scott Weiland

Honorable Mention: Layne Staley, Marilyn Manson, Courtney Love, Zach De La Rocha, Perry Farrell

I didn't include Thom Yorke because I don't know that Radiohead really fits into this.
Discuss.

spurraider21
05-18-2017, 09:06 PM
alice in chains is the most underrated from the grunge groups... but staley didnt perform that long

weiland > reznor... velvet revolver had a handful of amazing work (mostly a letdown tho), though slash carried to a degree. still, i like weiland

Silver&Black
05-18-2017, 10:55 PM
Nice list. Can't go wrong with Kurt @ #1.

I would probably put Marilyn Manson in the Top 10 and not an Honorable Mention. Dude had a cult following unlike anything I've ever seen. And if you could get past the weird shit he would wear and do in videos....he actually made some decent songs.

Chris
05-18-2017, 11:18 PM
1. Kurt
2. Staley
3. Cornell
4. Vedder
5. Claypool
6. Kiedis
7. Rocha
8. Reznor
9. Nowell
10. Corgan

Monostradamus
05-19-2017, 12:10 AM
Nice list. Can't go wrong with Kurt @ #1.

I would probably put Marilyn Manson in the Top 10 and not an Honorable Mention. Dude had a cult following unlike anything I've ever seen. And if you could get past the weird shit he would wear and do in videos....he actually made some decent songs.

:tu and there were so many great bands in this era too, you could make a completely different top 10 list that's just as good. I'm already seeing that I forgot Rivers Cuomo and Maynard James Keenan and I'll probably remember a half dozen more tonight :lol

And then fucking Limp Bizkit & Korn came along and ruined shit for everyone.

tbdog
05-19-2017, 01:44 AM
Reznor is number 1. He won an oscar ffs. Although I wouldn't call his music grunge.

Chucho
05-19-2017, 02:16 AM
Abstain. Too taxing on the ol noodle n ticker to do this.

Silver&Black
05-19-2017, 02:17 AM
:tu and there were so many great bands in this era too, you could make a completely different top 10 list that's just as good. I'm already seeing that I forgot Rivers Cuomo and Maynard James Keenan and I'll probably remember a half dozen more tonight :lol

And then fucking Limp Bizkit & Korn came along and ruined shit for everyone.

Me personally....Maynard would be my #1 above Kurt. Tool is one of my all time favorite groups.

Learn to swim, tbh.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-19-2017, 07:59 AM
In honor of another dead guy, let's do some ranking.

1. Kurt Cobain
2. Eddie Vedder
3. Dave Grohl
4. Gwen Stefani
5. Anthony Keidis
6. Chris Cornell
7. Billy Joe Armstrong
8. Trent Reznor
9. Billy Corgan
10. Scott Weiland

Honorable Mention: Layne Staley, Marilyn Manson, Courtney Love, Zach De La Rocha, Perry Farrell

I didn't include Thom Yorke because I don't know that Radiohead really fits into this.
Discuss.

stefani, corgan, and reznor don't seem to fit the bill

leemajors
05-19-2017, 08:21 AM
I'd put Mark Lanegan on there, tbh.

JoeTait75
05-19-2017, 08:25 AM
1. Chris Cornell
2. Kurt Cobain
3. Scott Weiland
4. Zach de la Rocha
5. Thom Yorke
6. Bradley Nowell
7. Trent Reznor
8. Eddie Vedder
9. Maynard James Keenan
10. Damon Albarn

Yorke is in there because Radiohead is the best band of the decade (IMO) and Albarn because there should be at least one Britpop guy on this list. Anthony Kiedis isn't on the list because I'm not sure the Chili Peppers can be classified as a 90's band- they put out at least three albums in the '80s, including the killer Mother's Milk. If this was an 11-person list Les Claypool would be #11.

Big Empty
05-19-2017, 09:26 AM
1. Scott Weiland 2. Kurt Cobain 3. Eddie Vedder 4. Layne Staley 5. Chris Cornell

SpursforSix
05-19-2017, 09:34 AM
alice in chains is the most underrated from the grunge groups... but staley didnt perform that long

weiland > reznor... velvet revolver had a handful of amazing work (mostly a letdown tho), though slash carried to a degree. still, i like weiland

AIC didn't perform that long but they put out 5 records in the 90's including the 2 EPs. Staley should be on this list for sure.
And certainly Weiland. Even if it sounded derivative, Core was a good album. And Purple showed they could do something besides grunge.
But he had a great voice.

SpursforSix
05-19-2017, 09:37 AM
And I'd rather listen to Shirley Manson from Garbage than No Doubt.

Also, Gavin Rossdale should get some mention. 16 Stone was awesome and and the follow up were good records.

Oh yeah...I'd also consider the singer from Live.

Spurminator
05-19-2017, 09:48 AM
It could be argued Michael Stipe was at his peak as a frontman in the 90's, even though REM was better as a whole in the 80's. Whatever else you think of REM or Stipe, he was a great performer. I'd put him in my top 10.

05-19-2017, 09:56 AM
lmao at Liam Gallagher being nowhere to be seen ITT

:lol murikans

spurraider21
05-19-2017, 10:30 AM
AIC didn't perform that long but they put out 5 records in the 90's including the 2 EPs. Staley should be on this list for sure.
And certainly Weiland. Even if it sounded derivative, Core was a good album. And Purple showed they could do something besides grunge.
But he had a great voice.
:lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjS6bQ5OQ-o

JoeTait75
05-19-2017, 10:50 AM

Damon Albarn > the Gallagher brothers

05-19-2017, 11:26 AM
Damon Albarn > the Gallagher brothers
Yeah, in being a faggot maybe...:lol

Monostradamus
05-19-2017, 11:33 AM
1. Chris Cornell
2. Kurt Cobain
3. Scott Weiland
4. Zach de la Rocha
5. Thom Yorke
6. Bradley Nowell
7. Trent Reznor
8. Eddie Vedder
9. Maynard James Keenan
10. Damon Albarn

Yorke is in there because Radiohead is the best band of the decade (IMO) and Albarn because there should be at least one Britpop guy on this list. Anthony Kiedis isn't on the list because I'm not sure the Chili Peppers can be classified as a 90's band- they put out at least three albums in the '80s, including the killer Mother's Milk. If this was an 11-person list Les Claypool would be #11.

I'd say RHCP feels like a 90's band, despite putting out content in the 80's. The same way GNR or The Pixies feel like 80's bands despite having a presence in the 90's. It's certainly very subjective though.

SpursforSix
05-19-2017, 11:40 AM
:lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjS6bQ5OQ-o

LMAO. I was going to use the term "rip off" but I like STP. So "derivative" seemed less egregious.

Spurminator
05-19-2017, 12:04 PM
Honorable mention to Mark Arm of Mudhoney.

JoeTait75
05-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Yeah, in being a faggot maybe...:lol

Not a Blur fan? Fair enough. :lol

I'll give some props to the Gallaghers. Definitely Maybe and What's the Story Morning Glory are both really good albums. But Be Here Now sucked ass and I think even those guys would admit as much- one of them characterized the making of Be Here Now as "a bunch of coked-up guys not giving a fuck." Blur has the better body of work, IMO.

Another underrated '90s frontman: Mike Patton.

SpursforSix
05-19-2017, 12:23 PM

I'll give some props to the Gallaghers. Definitely Maybe and What's the Story Morning Glory are both really good albums. But Be Here Now sucked ass and I think even those guys would admit as much- one of them characterized the making of Be Here Now as "a bunch of coked-up guys not giving a fuck." Blur has the better body of work, IMO.

That's a good call.

Joseph Kony
05-19-2017, 12:53 PM
damn, Layne with only a HM?

clambake
05-19-2017, 01:03 PM
damn, Layne with only a HM?

all of them got it wrong.

Xevious
05-19-2017, 01:28 PM
A lot of good stuff from the 90s, which was the last great decade for rock. You really have to dig deep today to find anything worth a shit.

Chucho
05-19-2017, 01:44 PM
A lot of good stuff from the 90s, which was the last great decade for rock. You really have to dig deep today to find anything worth a shit.

Same can be said about rap too.

DMC
05-19-2017, 04:43 PM
You have to consider Chris Daughtry and Clay Aiken in there as well.

Proxy
05-19-2017, 05:33 PM

underrated is an understatement, Patton is more talented than all of them imo

Adam Lambert
05-19-2017, 05:53 PM
cornell was good but he sounded like michael bolton after soundgarden

JoeTait75
05-19-2017, 08:38 PM
I'd say RHCP feels like a 90's band, despite putting out content in the 80's. The same way GNR or The Pixies feel like 80's bands despite having a presence in the 90's. It's certainly very subjective though.

Just my opinion, YMMV. I will say that had John Frusciante been in the band the entire decade the Chili Peppers might have been the band of the '90s. They were a pale shadow of themselves w/o Johnny the Hermit, IMO.

SpursforSix
05-20-2017, 07:12 AM
Just my opinion, YMMV. I will say that had John Frusciante been in the band the entire decade the Chili Peppers might have been the band of the '90s. They were a pale shadow of themselves w/o Johnny the Hermit, IMO.

He's a brilliant player but I think the limitation on the band was Kiedes.

Adam Lambert
05-20-2017, 01:08 PM
ramalama jamma shes a california mama
beatin on my hammer shes a flip wamma bamma

Adam Lambert
05-20-2017, 01:15 PM
rip van winkle she was licking up my tinkle
booty slappy happy im her california pappy

Boston Pancake
05-20-2017, 04:34 PM
Lookit, fucksticks, the only guys we needs to see in this thread is fahkin Dicky Barrett, lead singer of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and Al Barr of the fahkin Dropkick Murphys. If you disagree, you're a wicked gay fahkin homo.

Chris
05-20-2017, 04:53 PM
Lookit, fucksticks, the only guys we needs to see in this thread is fahkin Dicky Barrett, lead singer of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and Al Barr of the fahkin Dropkick Murphys. If you disagree, you're a wicked gay fahkin homo.

Wicked Pissah!

DD
05-21-2017, 11:35 AM
I'm surprised nobody crowbarred Shannon Hoon into the list

DD
05-21-2017, 11:40 AM
Whomever was the lead singer of offspring tbh:lol

SpursforSix
05-21-2017, 12:15 PM
I'm surprised nobody crowbarred Shannon Hoon into the list

I think I did. Or maybe that was the Cornell thread. Soup was a great album.

RD2191
05-23-2017, 04:49 PM
Corgan is #1 imo. Fukin love the smashing pumpkins.

Clipper Nation
05-23-2017, 06:25 PM

Liam wasn't even the best vocalist in his own band :lol

SpursforSix
05-23-2017, 07:06 PM
Liam wasn't even the best vocalist in his own band :lol

Yeah. 100%.

There was some show...I think it was MTV unplugged where Liam couldn't (or didn't want to sing). Noel ended up killing it. Just as good a voice. And a way better understanding of the music.

Clipper Nation
05-23-2017, 10:17 PM
Yeah. 100%.

There was some show...I think it was MTV unplugged where Liam couldn't (or didn't want to sing). Noel ended up killing it. Just as good a voice. And a way better understanding of the music.
Liam ended up ruining his voice in his prime because of all the booze and pills, tbh. Wouldn't be surprised if he just couldn't sing at all that day. Noel was the better singer and wrote all their hits.

Avante
05-25-2017, 03:27 PM
The talent just isn't there with these bands. Yep, heard them all out of curiousity.

clambake
05-25-2017, 03:42 PM
you snitched again.

Chucho
05-25-2017, 04:22 PM
The talent just isn't there with these bands. Yep, heard them all out of curiousity.

LOL. Tens of millions of records tell you what everyone else tells you here; you don't know what you're talking about. Ever.

Avante
05-25-2017, 04:26 PM
LOL. Tens of millions of records tell you what everyone else tells you here; you don't know what you're talking about. Ever.

Dude, are you for real? NOBODY here can talk music on my level and that should be real obvious.

Grunge....hahahaha~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chucho
05-25-2017, 04:28 PM
Dude, are you for real? NOBODY here can talk music on my level and that should be real obvious.

Yah, I've heard what happens to kids that bend over to get on your level...

monosylab1k
05-25-2017, 04:44 PM

Shut up, snitch.

clambake
05-25-2017, 05:16 PM
Shut up, snitch.

can you believe that?

he snitched again!

Avante
05-25-2017, 05:54 PM
Yah, I've heard what happens to kids that bend over to get on your level...

Dude, how damn stupid was that?

Avante
05-25-2017, 05:55 PM
Shut up, snitch.

Stupid, ask any mod if they have ever had any contact with Avante or shut the fuck up.

SpursforSix
05-25-2017, 05:57 PM
Stupid, ask any mod if they have ever had any contact with Avante or shut the fuck up.

Hello Lord Gayfuck. Are you well?

Avante
05-25-2017, 07:16 PM
Hello Lord Gayfuck. Are you well?

Hello fake expert, ya still a liar?

Avante
05-25-2017, 11:41 PM
I like some punk. some rap, some classical, hell, some Mexican. I can always find something in all genres of music except.....opera.

I like Pearl Jam, I think Cornell is great and like Soundgarden, I liked Nirvana. But....they do pale in comparison to most the heavyweights in Country, Blues, Rock, Jazz, R&B, Soul, Funk.

Pretty much says it all.

CLEVELAND, Ohio - There have been just two grunge bands inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and they're both heavyweights.
Pearl Jam's induction next month follows Nirvana being inducted in 2014. Outside of that, grunge has gotten a raw deal from the Rock Hall's nomination committee. But that could change as more 1990s acts become eligible and the genre's influence shines brighter.

spurraider21
05-26-2017, 03:14 AM
chirp chirp

Avante
05-26-2017, 03:17 AM
chirp chirp

Grow the fuck up, ok ya little shit?

Avante
05-26-2017, 03:21 AM
Louis Armstrong
Hank Williams
Elvis
BB King
Frank Sinatra
James Brown
Johnny Cash
Bob Dylan
Bruce Springsteen
The Beatles
Bob Marley
Led Zeppelin
Marvin Gaye
The Rolling Stones

Pearl Jam?....hahaha~~~~

Chucho
05-26-2017, 10:57 AM
Louis Armstrong
Hank Williams
Elvis
BB King
Frank Sinatra
James Brown
Johnny Cash
Bob Dylan
Bruce Springsteen
The Beatles
Bob Marley
Led Zeppelin
Marvin Gaye
The Rolling Stones

Pearl Jam?....hahaha~~~~

That has nothing to do with 90's front men. No one talks to you, among countless instances of infamy, because you rarely post anything relevant to the actual thread. Not a single person you mention in your "list" is relevant in anyway to this thread. How stupid is that, little man? Huh, fella? Eh, guy? How stupid are you?

benefactor
05-26-2017, 12:14 PM
That has nothing to do with 90's front men. No one talks to you, among countless instances of infamy, because you rarely post anything relevant to the actual thread. Not a single person you mention in your "list" is relevant in anyway to this thread. How stupid is that, little man? Huh, fella? Eh, guy? How stupid are you?
I finally just broke down and put him on ignore. I don't read anything he posts anymore anyway so it just cuts down on my scrolling time.

tlongII
05-26-2017, 02:38 PM
I'd have to go with Eddie Vedder as #1.

Chucho
05-26-2017, 02:45 PM
I'd have to go with Eddie Vedder as #1.

Then I'd have to ask you politely, yet firmly, to GTFO.

Chucho
05-26-2017, 02:47 PM
I finally just broke down and put him on ignore. I don't read anything he posts anymore anyway so it just cuts down on my scrolling time.

Yeah, I try and avoid beating the zombie horse that everyone else does by baiting him, I generally wait for his schtick to be reason enough to remind him of himself, which, just like the baiting and overall mood of the entire board being having a negative perception of him, it never works. And, afterall, ignorance is bliss, so it might be time, but he just isn't relevant enough. Am unsure if he is worse as Fabbs. If he tried as hard as a Splitts does, he'd be Fabbs x 10.

Avante
05-26-2017, 03:10 PM

My point was despite trying many times I could never really warm up to Grunge. And I have heard all of those mentioned. The music can't stand the test of time like those I mentioned.

Yes Pearl Jam, Nirvana are good at what they do they simply aren't on the same level with so many other "rock" bands.

Avante
05-26-2017, 03:11 PM

There is a God.

Dude, don't ever bug me again, got it?

Avante
05-26-2017, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I try and avoid beating the zombie horse that everyone else does by baiting him, I generally wait for his schtick to be reason enough to remind him of himself, which, just like the baiting and overall mood of the entire board being having a negative perception of him, it never works. And, afterall, ignorance is bliss, so it might be time, but he just isn't relevant enough. Am unsure if he is worse as Fabbs. If he tried as hard as a Splitts does, he'd be Fabbs x 10.

You're pretty much a waste of time and ya have that constant wimper and whine.

clambake
05-26-2017, 03:55 PM
you tell'em avante.

Chucho
05-26-2017, 04:11 PM
You're pretty much a waste of time and ya have that constant wimper and whine.

Ya tell that to all the adolescent boys who fight back when you rape them, huh?

Avante
05-26-2017, 04:16 PM
Ya tell that to all the adolescent boys who fight back when you rape them, huh?

There ya go, now how damn stupid was that? Dude, grow up, ok?

Stick to the topic, which is music, ok?

SpursforSix
05-26-2017, 07:50 PM
There ya go, now how damn stupid was that? Dude, grow up, ok?

Stick to the topic, which is music, ok?

Respect the thread as you like to say. Cornell was one of the best voices in Rock. Ever. To put Cobain or Vedder in front of him is just ridiculous. Maybe those bands had more universally like songs but they had nothing on Cornell as a vocalist or front man.

You don't even have to like grunge to recognize what he could do. It's about as significant as me running a 20 in middle school. Hell...it's better. No one gives a shit about my 20 (or faster).

Avante
05-26-2017, 10:37 PM
Respect the thread as you like to say. Cornell was one of the best voices in Rock. Ever. To put Cobain or Vedder in front of him is just ridiculous. Maybe those bands had more universally like songs but they had nothing on Cornell as a vocalist or front man.

You don't even have to like grunge to recognize what he could do. It's about as significant as me running a 20 in middle school. Hell...it's better. No one gives a shit about my 20 (or faster).

I totally agree about Cornell, he was great and by far the best voice in Grunge, and among the best ever regardless of genre.

DD
05-27-2017, 11:02 AM

He meets all blocking criteria...uninteresting, uninformative, and unfunny. Him and boutons are on my namlook list. As you get older and time is precious you just don't have time for that shit.

Spurminator
05-27-2017, 10:20 PM
Everybody should read either (or both) of "Grunge is Dead" and "Everybody Loves Our Town."

The both do a great job of capturing Seattle leading up to and during the explosion of grunge. Amazing how interconnected all of these bands are, and tragic how short-lived some of their careers were.

Avante
05-27-2017, 10:30 PM
He meets all blocking criteria...uninteresting, uninformative, and unfunny. Him and boutons are on my namlook list. As you get older and time is precious you just don't have time for that shit.

Trust me slick, if you think you are interesting, knowledgeable and funny...........whoa~~~

All we see you doing is leeching off everybody else, you ever start a thread?

Chucho
05-27-2017, 11:38 PM
Trust me slick, if you think you are interesting, knowledgeable and funny...........whoa~~~

All we see you doing is leeching off everybody else, you ever start a thread?
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/eiGKA6iCAZg/hqdefault.jpg

Avante
05-28-2017, 08:10 PM
Dude, ya worry too much about what others are doing, stick to.....music...ok amigo?

monosylab1k
05-28-2017, 09:10 PM
Dude, ya worry too much about what others are doing, stick to.....music...ok amigo?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51jZVZP5QpL._SY355_.jpg