PDA

View Full Version : Danny Green semi appreciation theead

SpursforSix
05-21-2017, 06:13 AM
So all if a sudden Green seems to be able to drive and finish. It's weird as fuck. I don't know the stats but it seems like in these playoffs, he's finished near the rim more times than he did the whole season.

TimDunkem
05-21-2017, 07:33 AM
That's what adversity does. Still looks as awkward and uncomfortable as ever doing it though.

Kind of too late to add this kind of facet to his game anyway. Guy will be just about on the wrong side of 30 next season and will probably lose yet another step.

TheGreatYacht
05-21-2017, 07:38 AM
Appreciation thread? Does Joel Anthony get one as well? :lol

boutons_deux
05-21-2017, 07:39 AM
I'd prefer that he's reliably hit 5 or more 3Gs/game.

testies
05-21-2017, 07:45 AM
Yeah but he cant hit 3s no more...

SpurOutofTownFan
05-21-2017, 08:45 AM
if he can't hit the 3 anymore then he's just a warm body and completely replaceable. He hasn't defended well anyone in particular for the last couple years either.

SpursforSix
05-21-2017, 08:48 AM
if he can't hit the 3 anymore then he's just a warm body and completely replaceable. He hasn't defended well anyone in particular for the last couple years either.

What??? He's had some great defensive games this post season. He's not elite but he's solid.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-21-2017, 08:58 AM
What??? He's had some great defensive games this post season. He's not elite but he's solid.

ohhh come on!

UZER
05-21-2017, 09:00 AM
So we needed him to be able to drive for years, but he couldnt.

Now we absolutely need him to hit threes and he finally starts driving.

SpursforSix
05-21-2017, 09:01 AM
ohhh come on!

What? He's better than most.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-21-2017, 09:04 AM
What? He's better than most.

LOL. please cite anyone who he has locked down in the last 2 years in a playoff series

Keepin' it real
05-21-2017, 09:40 AM
B-b-b-but his transition defense...

Ice009
05-21-2017, 10:28 AM
His transition defense is still good, but the rest of his game has slipped. Not sure what I'd want to do with him if I was the one making the decisions.

polandprzem
05-21-2017, 10:32 AM
He is almost forced to do so, and also he is guarded by Curry for sakes. Ball needs to go through him.
He is not great p&r player though so he is out of his comfort zone here. I'd like him to play more back to the basket kinda game when weaker defenders are on him but he is not good at it as well.

TheGreatYacht
05-21-2017, 11:14 AM
LOL. please cite anyone who he has locked down in the last 2 years in a playoff series
His fanboys never answer this lmfao

SAGirl
05-21-2017, 11:22 AM
His transition defense, but the rest of his game has slipped. Not sure what I'd want to do with him if I was the one making the decisions.
This. ^
He TO 4 times last game and is prone to the worst kind of TO when he drives bc he can get stuck nowhere and has to make a desperation pass.

He was playing without a star perimeter player so he's pushed outside his comfort zone though.

There wasn't anything impressive about him this series.

DieHardSpursFan1537
05-21-2017, 11:25 AM
He's gonna have to do some serious work on getting his shot back over the summer. Ever since he attempted to expand his overall offensive game, his 3 shot has gone to shit.

TimDunkem
05-21-2017, 11:27 AM
^And his game didn't even expand. Lmao

still.focused
05-21-2017, 11:29 AM
Ive already let Danny Green go in my head
Hes a decent defender with exceptionally quick hands but his offense is just bad
Id perfer & want PATFO to use starting @ the 2 in the pitch to keep Simmons in SA
Simmons & Murray work with Kawhi this summer & develop jumpers let Green ride the pine

TheGreatYacht
05-21-2017, 11:30 AM
He's gonna have to do some serious work on getting his shot back over the summer. Ever since he attempted to expand his overall offensive game, his 3 shot has gone to shit.
"Has to work in his game this summer" that basically sums up his career since he received his contract.

I remember his slurpers said last year a fluke, and this year would be different. They even thought the LASIK surgery would fix his shot.

He's done. Hopefully he's "training" aka "clubbing" this offseason under another team and that horrendous contract is no longer on our books.

TimDunkem
05-21-2017, 11:34 AM
I'd like Green more if he were either coming off the bench, starting for consistent players behind him, or if we had a legit backup to Kawhi when he sits. Problem was that Simmons only now has started to shine, Manu is 40, and Anderson isn't good enough at anything to warrant becoming a staple of the team.

The team needs dynamic guards in the worst way. We can no longer afford to play 4 on 5 in the West when you have to get past GS.

ceperez
05-21-2017, 11:35 AM
I've always like Green to be on the floor for his defense.

I hate it though when he tries to make a play on his own or makes a lazy pass.

Unfortunately, he's the second best player of the Spurs.

TheGreatYacht
05-21-2017, 11:37 AM

:lmao didn't think it could get worse after the first sentence, and it did.

still.focused
05-21-2017, 11:57 AM

I hate it though when he tries to make a play on his own or makes a lazy pass.

The San Antonio Spurs?

SpursforSix
05-21-2017, 12:10 PM

I didn't say he's a lock down defender. There aren't many in the NBA that you can say that about. The Spurs shitty post defense makes it even harder.

But he does work on the defensive side. He's quick and he doesn't give up on plays.

Mikeanaro
05-21-2017, 12:14 PM
Green is useless, any kid or scrub can hit the 3, Gordon, Beverley, Bradley, McGraw, DWorst, Olynyk, JR Smith.
People confuses liking some player thinking he is a good person with what can he do in a basketball court.
The whole confidence thing they have been talking for ages, he wont improve Im sorry.

SpursforSix
05-21-2017, 12:19 PM
Green is useless, any kid or scrub can hit the 3, Gordon, Beverley, Bradley, McGraw, DWorst, Olynyk, JR Smith.
People confuses liking some player thinking he is a good person with what can he do in a basketball court.
The whole confidence thing they have been talking for ages, he wont improve Im sorry.

I don't even know what the "good person" thing is about.
And he has improved IMO. I can't remember him ever taking the ball to the hoop and finishing like he has in the last month or so.

TheGreatYacht
05-21-2017, 12:25 PM
I didn't say he's a lock down defender. There aren't many in the NBA that you can say that about. The Spurs shitty post defense makes it even harder.

But he does work on the defensive side. He's quick and he doesn't give up on plays.
Spurs have arguably the best post defense in the league. Not sure what your point is, and I'm sure you don't either. Do you mean rim protecting? If so then it's actually the opposite. Green is the one that's not doing the bigs any favors with his weak screen fighting and traffic cone defense.

Nice little transition defender though /s

D_Admiral
05-21-2017, 12:27 PM
He beat the rockets in OT

TheGreatYacht
05-21-2017, 12:29 PM
He beat the rockets in OT
He drove past the worst defender in the league*

Mikeanaro
05-21-2017, 12:29 PM
I don't even know what the "good person" thing is about.
And he has improved IMO. I can't remember him ever taking the ball to the hoop and finishing like he has in the last month or so.
Good person thing is what Bonner lovers preached for nothing, DG has his followers here too, heīs been sucking 3 years in a row and they start with the icy hot shit, Ļhe will be fineĻ WHEN IS THAT?!?!?
Thats not an improvement, canīt hit open 3s and that was his main weapon, last night had some pretty stupid turnovers with his hesitation game trying to do what he is not supposed to do.

SpursforSix
05-21-2017, 12:30 PM
Spurs have arguably the best post defense in the league. Not sure what your point is, and I'm sure you don't either. Do you mean rim protecting? If so then it's actually the opposite. Green is the one that's not doing the bigs any favors with his weak screen fighting and traffic cone defense.

Nice little transition defender though /s

The "best post defense in the league". You're fucking retarded.

D_Admiral
05-21-2017, 12:30 PM
Phrase it how you want, but who else on the court was able to do it that game?

Atleast hes not on 4 yr/25 million

TheGreatYacht
05-21-2017, 12:33 PM
The "best post defense in the league". You're fucking retarded.
You fucking retard. Spurs aren't getting killed in the post. You mean rim protection but your third world vocabulary isn't there yet. The only post weakness on the team is David Lee who got torched by ZBo.

SpursforSix
05-21-2017, 12:34 PM
Good person thing is what Bonner lovers preached for nothing, DG has his followers here too, heīs been sucking 3 years in a row and they start with the icy hot shit, Ļhe will be fineĻ WHEN IS THAT?!?!?
Thats not an improvement, canīt hit open 3s and that was his main weapon, last night had some pretty stupid turnovers with his hesitation game trying to do what he is not supposed to do.

I'm not a Green fanboy. I'd love to see him come off the bench. But 10,000,000 is a good salary for what he does. He's worth keeping. And Mills is the more droppable.

SpursforSix
05-21-2017, 12:36 PM
You fucking retard. Spurs aren't getting killed in the post. You mean rim protection but your third world vocabulary isn't there yet. The only post weakness on the team is David Lee who got torched by ZBo.

You have to be trolling.

TheGreatYacht
05-21-2017, 12:39 PM
You have to be trolling.
That's exactly what I was thinking when you typed this, Venezuelan trash.

:cry Green can't defend because of the post defense :cry

Mikeanaro
05-21-2017, 12:42 PM
I'm not a Green fanboy. I'd love to see him come off the bench. But 10,000,000 is a good salary for what he does. He's worth keeping. And Mills is the more droppable.
I think this is not just a money issue, dude is not motivated and we need fresh blood, he is not a 3 point threat anymore and wont be again, Popovich has been retooling this team for ages, SJAX, RJ, DeColo, Blair, Boris, etc etc so I dont understand why is such a big deal to dump guys like Green or Bonner which are totally replaceable, look at Bertans, he is 3 times better than Bon Bon ever was.
Spurs can find the next DG.

SpursforSix
05-21-2017, 12:44 PM
I think this is not just a money issue, dude is not motivated and we need fresh blood, he is not a 3 point threat anymore and wont be again, Popovich has been retooling this team for ages, SJAX, RJ, DeColo, Blair, Boris, etc etc so I dont understand why is such a big deal to dump guys like Green or Bonner which are totally replaceable, look at Bertans, he is 3 times better than Bon Bon ever was.
Spurs can find the next DG.

I don't disagree with this.

DMC
05-21-2017, 12:53 PM
There are very very few lock down defenders in the league. Expecting a good defender to lock down a superstar is futile. There's Kawhi and Draymond and Draymond cannot lock down a superstar either, but Kawhi can. Maybe Tony Allen can harass a guy enough to bother him, but Spurs fans are spoiled by Kawhi's brilliance on defense and so they judge other good defenders by that standard. Danny is still the 2nd best defender on the Spurs team, and the Spurs had the best defense in the league last year. Danny still hits enough 3pt shots to cause the defense to close out on him. Now the issue is that we don't have a playmaker other than Kawhi who can finish at the rim. Murray might be that guy, he's got an uncanny ability to score in traffic, obviously something you cannot teach guys like Danny who don't have the physical attributes required to do that (their bodies don't move that way).

I think Danny is serviceable, and with the way even mid to low tier players are getting paid these days, Danny's contract is manageable. Danny paid for his contract easily this season with his play in the 2nd round, and to an extent his play in the WCF.

I guess folks here think the Spurs get this far on dumb luck, since all the players suck and the coach sucks.

BackHome
05-21-2017, 01:26 PM
If only Richie could dribble the ball and be able to take it to the rim and make a basket or God forbid slam it in I would be OK with his contract. But he can't which is frustrating as hell that a SG can not dribble or make a layup. He can and should be able to be replaced this summer.

TimDunkem
05-21-2017, 01:38 PM
If only Richie could dribble the ball and be able to take it to the rim and make a basket or God forbid slam it in I would be OK with his contract. But he can't which is frustrating as hell that a SG can not dribble or make a layup. He can and should be able to be replaced this summer.
This although I won't be upset if he isn't though because he isn't the biggest issue with the team... But he's certainly part of a larger problem.

This team needs playmakers other than Kawhi and the two old men.

RD2191
05-21-2017, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't mind DG off the bench. He's just not a starter anymore though.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-21-2017, 02:12 PM

Let me take this to another context. At some point, the Spurs thought they could get Green to become the next Bruce Bowen. He seemed to be very good at defending the best opposing perimeter player and he could hit the 3 from a few key spots.

All of the above has gone to shit. The best perimeter players on the opposing team score on him at will and he's been unrecognizable for the past 2 years. On top of that, he can't score the 3 anymore. His confidence is shot and he passes up on open looks - now he's even trying to penetrate for layups and that's just not his game. Usually when he gets blocked or misses the shot, the team gets completely unbalanced and he's the last guy returning. I would love for someone to do a video on transition points the Spurs allow and how many of them come from failed layups by this guy.

jag
05-21-2017, 02:28 PM

I'm not on Chinook's LDN slob train but this is a terrible take. The Spurs lose to that sorry Rockets team without Green.

Mikeanaro
05-21-2017, 02:39 PM
I'm not on Chinook's LDN slob train but this is a terrible take. The Spurs lose to that sorry Rockets team without Green.
Bit then again, he was shit in 2015 Clips, 2016 Okc, 2017 Grizz and Gsw, thats 2 good games out of 22.

testies
05-21-2017, 02:44 PM
He's still a great defender, you guys are retarded if you think otherwise.

"Who has he locked down this post season?" Wow, that's just a mouthbreathing way to look at it. He is disciplined, he helps really well, his transition D is great.

D_Admiral
05-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Who do you replace green with? Same problem with patty.
Can you find bench or a 10mil starter guy that will learn the system and give us equal or better chance to ring next year?

Hope we can, if not were problable stuck.

Dont get me wrong though, if kawhi hadnt gone down, spurs up 2 1 rn

I'm happy that we're so spoiled if spurs dont ring, its a disappointment of the highest degree

UZER
05-21-2017, 02:52 PM
I think has been hurt by the increase in carrying the ball in the last five years. With the extra long hesitation dribbles allowed now and constant change direction carries, it's really hampered his ability to stay in front of guys. It's always been allowed in a way, but it's just gotten to an and1 mixtape level.

He has a wide defensive stance, and before the carrying was allowed to the extent it is now, it allowed him to force guys one direction and move his feet to stay in front. Not anymore.

TheGreatYacht
05-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Who do you replace green with? Same problem with patty
Easy. Avery Bradley. Next?

SpursforSix
05-21-2017, 03:03 PM
Let me take this to another context. At some point, the Spurs thought they could get Green to become the next Bruce Bowen. He seemed to be very good at defending the best opposing perimeter player and he could hit the 3 from a few key spots.

All of the above has gone to shit. The best perimeter players on the opposing team score on him at will and he's been unrecognizable for the past 2 years. On top of that, he can't score the 3 anymore. His confidence is shot and he passes up on open looks - now he's even trying to penetrate for layups and that's just not his game. Usually when he gets blocked or misses the shot, the team gets completely unbalanced and he's the last guy returning. I would love for someone to do a video on transition points the Spurs allow and how many of them come from failed layups by this guy.

How do you know what the Spurs thought? I doubt they believed they had the next Bowen. They paid Green a reasonable amount of money for what he does. And in the last weeks, he's taken the ball to the hoop and looked pretty good. It's what led to the start of this thread. I think he's finished at the rim in these last weeks more than he did the whole season. Are you watching the games? He's hit short range floaters, teardrops, reverses...if this is going to be part of his game going forward, I'm thrilled.

I'll also say that the lack of ball movement has hurt his three.

jag
05-21-2017, 03:05 PM
Bit then again, he was shit in 2015 Clips, 2016 Okc, 2017 Grizz and Gsw, thats 2 good games out of 22.

2 out of 22 is disingenuous. He's struggled in certain matchups but he's largely a plus defender while defending the opposing team's 1st or 2nd best scorer. I want him to make more 3's. We all do. He's a 3 and D guy. But after the 2013 Finals, opposing teams actively take away the 3 from him. This postseason is another example. That's why he's been slashing more than in the pasth, which is obviously a part of his game that he's improved.

Yes, there are better options out there. Those options cost money. Green is not overpaid. He's streaky but he's got a place on this team relative to what he's paid. He's not the reason the Spurs are faltering right now. In fact, he's way down the list of concerns.

TheGreatYacht
05-21-2017, 03:11 PM
2 out of 22 is disingenuous. He's struggled in certain matchups but he's largely a plus defender while defending the opposing team's 1st or 2nd best scorer. I want him to make more 3's. We all do. He's a 3 and D guy. But after the 2013 Finals, opposing teams actively take away the 3 from him. This postseason is another example. That's why he's been slashing more than in the pasth, which is obviously a part of his game that he's improved.

Yes, there are better options out there. Those options cost money. Green is not overpaid. He's streaky but he's got a place on this team relative to what he's paid. He's not the reason the Spurs are faltering right now. In fact, he's way down the list of concerns.
Your statement about teams focusing on taking Green's 3s away is a lie. He's averaging more 3PA in the RS and playoffs than his career averages. He's just missing nearly 70% of them.

Those who watch the game know he's not exactly shooting contested threes

xellos88330
05-21-2017, 04:38 PM
Danny still hasn't earned my appreciation this season. If anything he is digging himself deeper into a whole. He needs to hit his open shots. Yes it is that simple. I am grateful he is trying to mix it up, but he is far to inconsistent. If he had done it and worked on it more during the season, it wouldn't have bothered me. It just sucks that he waits until the playoffs to try it and gets stuck in no mans land.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-21-2017, 04:54 PM

the same can be said of KL, Manu, etc. They could have lost in 1000 different ways. You don't have a point, really. He has been shit for the last 2 years.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-21-2017, 05:02 PM
How do you know what the Spurs thought? I doubt they believed they had the next Bowen. They paid Green a reasonable amount of money for what he does. And in the last weeks, he's taken the ball to the hoop and looked pretty good. It's what led to the start of this thread. I think he's finished at the rim in these last weeks more than he did the whole season. Are you watching the games? He's hit short range floaters, teardrops, reverses...if this is going to be part of his game going forward, I'm thrilled.

I'll also say that the lack of ball movement has hurt his three.

I'm obviously watching the games he plays but it looks like you aren't - teams are actually disrespecting his 3 attempts this postseason because he can't seem to be hitting them anymore. Most of them, if not all of them, are OPEN OPEN OPEN WIDE OPEN looks.

Somebody said lack of ball movement is hurting him but that's true for everyone and, if you actually watch the games, you can see his teammates giving him very good looks many times a game. He's just not scoring the way he used to anymore. He was very good when you could depend on his 3, and the team overall benefited because he kept them honest on the perimeter and make them respect his shots. If your shooters aren't hitting perimeter shots then the opp team can chance to double team your bigs, including LMA. And that's a big problem - the lack of 3 mades that has been the staple of Spurs' BB for a long time is barely there so teams don't feel they need to respect that. Conclusion: they let Green attempt those 3s.

This has been Spurs' trademark BB for the longest time.

Why can't you guys just admit he has declined since the player he was 2-3 years ago?

D_Admiral
05-21-2017, 06:05 PM
Easy. Avery Bradley. Next?

Yea sure, if we can just pick up any player we want..

Durants a free agent lets sign him also

TheGreatYacht
05-21-2017, 06:07 PM
Yea sure, if we can just pick up any player we want..

Durants a free agent lets sign him also
Trade. Dumbass. You think Celtics will keep 5 guards on the roster with Fultz coming?

D_Admiral
05-21-2017, 06:09 PM
Do you think the celtics want anybody on spurs roster not named kawhi

TheGreatYacht
05-21-2017, 06:11 PM
Do you think the celtics want anybody on our roster not named kawhi
They've started Amir Johnson and Gerald Green at PF in the playoffs. We have a PF available they might be interested in here pretty soon

D_Admiral
05-21-2017, 06:13 PM
Lets hope the celtics are stupid enough to take on 4yr/80 mil for a pair of jock straps

TheGreatYacht
05-21-2017, 06:14 PM
Lets hope the celtics are stupid enough to take on 4yr/80 mil
As long as Ainge's picks are not a part of the deal, he might do it lmao

therealtruth
05-21-2017, 07:11 PM
His transition defense is still pretty good.