PDA

View Full Version : My "offseason" thread ... huge changes coming

Keepin' it real
05-21-2017, 09:39 AM
In response to how this season played out, not only for the Spurs, but for the whole league, I'm making two huge changes:

Not paying for the NBA League or Team Pass. I paid for the NBA League Pass for several seasons. And it was worth it at the time. This season I did Team Pass for Spurs only due to the watered down league. Next year, I will do neither.
Not watching the regular season. This is a HUGE change for me. I've watched practically every Spurs regular season game for about 2 decades. And I've regularly watched the "national" NBA games too. It's been great. But this season proved undeniably that the regular season is bullshit and meaningless. Specifically ...

Players resting. How did that help the Spurs prevent injuries this season? Or in 2011? This strategy was sometimes effective in protecting the aging Tim Duncan. But this strategy is just as likely to be ineffective, or worse ... backfire. It's just as likely to reduce endurance/stamina and make players into mental midgets when it comes to being tough and playing through pain. And...
Regular season records are fools gold. When teams rest players and flat-out acknowledge that they don't always try, when bad teams start tanking earlier and earlier for higher draft picks, when the games are officiated way differently than playoff games, and when non-clutch players look legit (such as Pau the 3 pt guru)... these factors add up to a huge pile of fools gold.

I'm still going to a Spurs fan, of course. But I'll start watching Spurs games come playoff time.

And I am going to be much less of an NBA fan because I no longer love the product. The factors mentioned above, combined with the severe over-dependence on the 3 pt shot, and the over-policing of physical play (ridiculous flagrant foul calls for non-flagrant offenses), have turned the game I used to love into a game I only somewhat enjoy watching.

See you boys for Game 4.

TXstbobcat
05-21-2017, 09:43 AM
In response to how this season played out, not only for the Spurs, but for the whole league, I'm making two huge changes:

Not paying for the NBA League or Team Pass. I paid for the NBA League Pass for several seasons. And it was worth it at the time. This season I did Team Pass for Spurs only due to the watered down league. Next year, I will do neither.
Not watching the regular season. This is a HUGE change for me. I've watched practically every Spurs regular season game for about 2 decades. And I've regularly watched the "national" NBA games too. It's been great. But this season proved undeniably that the regular season is bullshit and meaningless. Specifically ...

Players resting. How did that help the Spurs prevent injuries this season? Or in 2011? This strategy was sometimes effective in protecting the aging Tim Duncan. But this strategy is just as likely to be ineffective, or worse ... backfire. It's just as likely to reduce endurance/stamina and make players into mental midgets when it comes to being tough and playing through pain. And...
Regular season records are fools gold. When teams rest players and flat-out acknowledge that they don't always try, when bad teams start tanking earlier and earlier for higher draft picks, when the games are officiated way differently than playoff games, and when non-clutch players look legit (such as Pau the 3 pt guru)... these factors add up to a huge pile of fools gold.

I'm still going to a Spurs fan, of course. But I'll start watching Spurs games come playoff time.

And I am going to be much less of an NBA fan because I no longer love the product. The factors mentioned above, combined with the severe over-dependence on the 3 pt shot, and the over-policing of physical play (ridiculous flagrant foul calls for non-flagrant offenses), have turned the game I used to love into a game I only somewhat enjoy watching.

See you boys for Game 4.

And somehow the NBA will survive your huge changes.

RGMCSE
05-21-2017, 10:00 AM
What a spoiled ass Spurs Fan. You have take the losses with the wins fool. Enjoy not watching the best player in the league next year. I have faith the Spurs will make some major changes as well and we wont miss your spoiled ass.

8FOR!3
05-21-2017, 10:19 AM
I'm sure this one really hit home for the NBA, bet they're real upset lol.

boutons_deux
05-21-2017, 10:20 AM
2400 games per NBA season, 2000+ of which are not only meaningless, but fucking unwatchable.

cjw
05-21-2017, 10:39 AM
OP is right on one count. I'm out of market but can get my fill of Spurs games on national TV and if a game is close in the fourth, NBA TV usually jumps in. Or you can find a stream + Apple TV or ChromeCast and you're golden.

Too many people act bipolar after every single RS game. The only sport you should care that much in is football and maybe soccer (half as many games). For the NBA, it's only meaningful down stretch when you know what you're fighting for. Yes, every game in the end matters the same but why not take that money you're spending on league pass (plus time) and spend it on actually going to an extra game or two?

Not saying you shouldn't tune in to watch players developing, how team is progressing, etc. But for me, there are plenty of national TV opportunities that a fan of, say the Magic, may not get.

All of that said, a random NBA game is generally more watchable than an NHL/MLB game and quality of play is way ahead of college whose regular season is totally meaningless.

On regular season rest not being meaningful, I totally disagree. You're right in that it can't prevent all injuries, but it does prevent fatigue and lessens nagging injuries. Look no further than the Rockets, who obviously hit a wall. Or the Warriors who managed minutes this year (Durant injury gave him a rest too) or even the Cavs, who throttled down Lebron later in season and gave up the one seed so he can give it 110% now.

still.focused
05-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Casuals gonna casual

TXstbobcat
05-21-2017, 11:26 AM
Casuals gonna casual

give it 4 months and everyone who is pissed off now will be excited and ready for the Spurs season opener.

Poolboy5623
05-21-2017, 11:58 AM
I'm starting to hate the NBA too. With that said, I can't wait until next season. It will be my 28th as a Spurs fan. I'm hoping it has a similar feel to 2003 when they stepped up to knock off the Lakers. Someone needs to beat GS. It'll be the Spurs. Kawhi will be ready.

Ron Swanson
05-21-2017, 11:59 AM
Ok

LkrFan
05-21-2017, 12:04 PM
And somehow the NBA will survive your huge changes.

:lol

Mikeanaro
05-21-2017, 12:06 PM
Agreed, not watching regular season either, its time consuming and not worthy, I´ve been watching 80 games per season since 2006 and this crap is a deal breaker.

r0drig0lac
05-21-2017, 12:42 PM
https://m.popkey.co/a65e20/YRozg.gif