PDA

View Full Version : Murray's ready to start next year

SpursforSix
05-22-2017, 09:04 PM
He's still pretty raw but he's shown enough. Can live with the turnovers (which will get less and less) with his ability to get in the lane.

kuato
05-22-2017, 09:05 PM
Murray is absorving some vibes from Manu

SpursforSix
05-22-2017, 09:10 PM
Murray is absorving some vibes from Manu

I love it. It's damn encouraging. Seems like he can get into the lane whenever he wants. Breaking down NBA vets and he's only 20.

raybies
05-22-2017, 09:10 PM
:cheers

here's to the future

KDKSpurs24
05-22-2017, 09:12 PM
With this experience he will now know what he needs to work on in the offseason. He needs to work extremely hard and he'll earn the starting spot.

SAGirl
05-22-2017, 09:19 PM
Super encouraged by his play!!!
Kyle too by the way!

tmtcsc
05-22-2017, 09:22 PM
You are out of your mind. Ready to start? Based on what?

testies
05-22-2017, 09:23 PM
Lol no

TheyCallMePro
05-22-2017, 09:24 PM
As soon as he can hit the broadside of a barn I'll consent to him starting.

Until then, he needs to be BURIED on the bench. Because right now he's completely out of control offensively and the Warriors are giving him a wide berth because they know he can't shoot. It's embarrassing.

SpursforSix
05-22-2017, 09:34 PM
You are out of your mind. Ready to start? Based on what?

Based on his ability to get in the lane. His ability to make passes. His quickness. Based on his potential. Based on the Spurs not having any other options. Based on Leonard having two more years on his contract.

He'll have an offseason to work in his deficiencies. Sure...he'll make a ton of mistakes but I think he'll offset those. Like Parker did.

SpursforSix
05-22-2017, 09:35 PM
Super encouraged by his play!!!
Kyle too by the way!

I agree! Except about the Kyle part.

cd98
05-22-2017, 09:37 PM
No, he's not, but at least he brings energy.

spurraider21
05-22-2017, 09:45 PM
he's going to have to be ready. parkers going to be out and i doubt mills will be back

SpursforSix
05-22-2017, 09:46 PM
Y'all niggas is blind. Or brainwashed by Pop. Sometime you just gotta put your guys out there and let them play. We can bump this thead next season.

tmtcsc
05-22-2017, 09:49 PM
Based on his ability to get in the lane. His ability to make passes. His quickness. Based on his potential. Based on the Spurs not having any other options. Based on Leonard having two more years on his contract.

He'll have an offseason to work in his deficiencies. Sure...he'll make a ton of mistakes but I think he'll offset those. Like Parker did.

The only reason he's playing right now is because Pop has little choice. The Spurs WILL have another pg after this season & it won't be Parker. TP was better than Murray when he started his career. Murray makes terrible mistakes on D, turns the ball over on the regular and can't shoot for shit. No, he isn't ready.

sasaint
05-22-2017, 09:55 PM
The only reason he's playing right now is because Pop has little choice. The Spurs WILL have another pg after this season & it won't be Parker. TP was better than Murray when he started his career. Murray makes terrible mistakes on D, turns the ball over on the regular and can't shoot for shit. No, he isn't ready.

I disagree. I think Dijon is better now than Tony was at the start of his career. Tony couldn't shoot at all, and all he had to do on offense was feed Duncan and get out of the way. He was a blur, and he could drive to the basket, but that was the extent of his offensive arsenal. And he has never been a very good defender.

sasaint
05-22-2017, 09:58 PM

:tu He should have gotten a lot more playing time (and starts) before his injury. He will grow into the role next season just as Tony did. Then, if Tony comes back, he can be Dijon's Speedy/Avery security blanket.

Thomas82
05-22-2017, 10:00 PM
With 5 steals tonight, he broke Manu's rookie playoff record.

Spurs9
05-22-2017, 10:07 PM
Agreed

SpursforSix
05-22-2017, 10:15 PM

I hope not. I'd rather spend that money somewhere else. Murray has proven he can play at this level. The Spurs are too conservative about playing young guards. Seems like half the teams inthe league find some PG that can jump in and play. There's probably 5 or 6 that have backups better than Parker. Sorry...but I think you're dead wrong in Murray.

He will be the starting PG next year. At the least, by the end of the year.

HarlemHeat37
05-22-2017, 10:20 PM
He's nowhere near ready(extremely flawed player), but he should be starting and splitting minutes with a veteran PG, next year..unless Mills takes a substantial discount, Spurs should sign a veteran PG who will eat minutes and keep them afloat as a stopgap..

I haven't looked at the FA list, though..I kind of expect Patty to be back, based on Pop's recent comments..

SpursforSix
05-22-2017, 10:37 PM
He's nowhere near ready(extremely flawed player), but he should be starting and splitting minutes with a veteran PG, next year..unless Mills takes a substantial discount, Spurs should sign a veteran PG who will eat minutes and keep them afloat as a stopgap..

I haven't looked at the FA list, though..I kind of expect Patty to be back, based on Pop's recent comments..

Lol "extremely". He's 20. If he puts in the work, he'll be fine next season. We just saw him play pretty damn good against the best team in the NBA and playing without the best player on the team. He was thrown into the fire and he looked about as good as you could expect.

Borosai
05-22-2017, 10:50 PM
Murray should be given the opportunity to earn the starting spot. The Spurs need more than what they currently get at every position other than SF, and he's already on the roster, so give him a shot.

spurraider21
05-22-2017, 10:51 PM

I haven't looked at the FA list, though..I kind of expect Patty to be back, based on Pop's recent comments..ugh, hopefully not. he's set to get overpaid, and its not worth overpaying gary neal/marcus denmon

InRareForm
05-22-2017, 10:51 PM
i will bump this thread in the year 2027

coachmac87
05-22-2017, 10:53 PM
Seriously pump the breaks....

HarlemHeat37
05-22-2017, 10:54 PM
Lol "extremely". He's 20. If he puts in the work, he'll be fine next season. We just saw him play pretty damn good against the best team in the NBA and playing without the best player on the team. He was thrown into the fire and he looked about as good as you could expect.

Again, I don't mind Murray starting and I love his potential, but are you denying that he's extremely flawed, at the moment?

His jump shot needs serious work, he needs to tighten his handle and needs to add significant strength to aid with his balance and finishing ability vs. NBA defenders..all very possible, going forward, but it'll be years before he's a legitimate starting PG IMO..

Chomag
05-22-2017, 10:55 PM
Have him work with Kawai during the off-season.

Horse
05-22-2017, 10:55 PM
I thought pop was crazy when he started Parker at 19, Murray is not as good as Parker was but it's time to find out how good he is. His size an athletic ability will give him an advantage.

keithington1
05-22-2017, 11:00 PM
He learned a lot in these playoffs. Hopefully he watches film and gets Kawhi' s workout development plan.

cjw
05-22-2017, 11:09 PM
I'd rather ride with Murray than pay up for a Lowry/Hill. Perhaps have a down year with Murray taking minutes - maybe not even cross 50 wins (will be hard with Kawhi) and see if you can develop Murray. Not winning next year as long as GSW stays what they are, so reload in a year and maybe pick in the middle of round 1 for once.

SpursforSix
05-22-2017, 11:11 PM
Again, I don't mind Murray starting and I love his potential, but are you denying that he's extremely flawed, at the moment?

His jump shot needs serious work, he needs to tighten his handle and needs to add significant strength to aid with his balance and finishing ability vs. NBA defenders..all very possible, going forward, but it'll be years before he's a legitimate starting PG IMO..

Yeah. He's got flaws. What 20 year old that came into the league didn't? He does need to work in his handles and shot. No doubt. But if he puts in the work, he'll get there. He's a super quick slasher that seems to have no fear going to the hoop. He was thrown into the fire and looked pretty damn legit. I'm willing to take the bad along with the good. He's closer to starting potential than a lot of people are giving him credit for. Is he an all star next year? Probably not. But he's damn sure enough of a threat that the other team will have to account for. Assuming he puts in the work in the offseason. And he seems to be the type that will do that.

MaNu4Tres
05-22-2017, 11:13 PM

I basically have said the same thing. I think theyll bring in a vet stop gap. Shelvin Mack comes to mind.

SpursforSix
05-22-2017, 11:15 PM
I thought pop was crazy when he started Parker at 19, Murray is not as good as Parker was but it's time to find out how good he is. His size an athletic ability will give him an advantage.

Right. But Parker had a ton more games under his belt. Initially I was a doubter. Thought his handles sucked. But he's got a ton of potential. And it's not like the Spurs won't work his ass to get better. His low end is George Hill imo.

RGMCSE
05-22-2017, 11:23 PM
Have him work with Kawai during the off-season.

I had the same thought, but I dont want anything to get in Kawhi's way. He's going nuclear on mother fuckers next year.

Atl Spur
05-22-2017, 11:23 PM
Murray will be fine. Everything takes time.....you can't skip steps. Lucky for him he will be paired with the best player in the league.

daslicer
05-22-2017, 11:27 PM
His playoff numbers are very similar to rookie Kobe. He has the confidence and he will only get better.

TheGreatYacht
05-23-2017, 12:33 AM
If we miss out on CP3, then I agree. Start him over maxing out second/third-tier PG's like Hill, Lowry, Holiday, Rose, etc.....

Ditty
05-23-2017, 01:08 AM
I don't think we have much of a choice at the beginning of next season.He should start, and wouldn't have as much pressure being thrown into the fire like this postseason. I could see Tony returning late in the season if we are struggling, and taking over the starting spot if the kid does struggle which will happen at times next season. He seems like a gym rat from Instagram posts, so I expect some improvements to his flaws especially his shot. Hopefully he works with Leonard, and Chip mentioned. I expect him to play in Vegas, and tear shit up though.

As for guys I would like go after that might not be too expensive to backup Murray would be Shaun Livingston, Milos Teodosic, Darren Collison & Shelvin Mack.

LongtimeSpursFan
05-23-2017, 02:37 AM

With summer league and training camp I think Pop should run with Murray as the starting PG. Kid had lots of potential offensively.
What I think a lot of people are missing out on Murray is his ability to come up with steals. Yeah his length helps him in the passing lanes but there was a sequence in the Rockets series and also against the Warriors is where he knew where the opposing team was going to pass before it happened. He was almost Manuesque. One particular series against Rockets where he had his has on a deflection that the Rockets maintained but then a couple of seconds later rotated to the corner for the steal. It was very impressive. In today's game he was able to jump on the inbounds feed and steal pass from Curry. Not bad for a 20 year old kid. He and Kawhi with their ability to disrupt passing lanes is going to be the new improved Wingstop next year.

Dingle Barry
05-23-2017, 02:41 AM

Parker couldn't shoot for shit and has always been shitty on D.

picnroll
05-23-2017, 05:27 AM
Parker was an elite scorer at the rim with elite footwork, scoop shots floaters, using the basket to protect the shot, getting into the bigs body. Even early on he showed precociousness. He also was much quicker and faster. It's amazing how ignorant current Spurs fans are of the talent Parker showed even in the beginning.

jiggy_55
05-23-2017, 08:01 AM
Of course he's not ready, but anyone who think he doesn't have really nice potential with his raw talent is just being an idiot.. I hope he gets lots of minutes next season because he could be a key piece sometime in the future, with tony out he has to play and learn by gaining more experience. Over the summer definitely he will work on a jumper, and to add some strength, and the spurs can help be more defensively sound that's for sure

SpursforSix
05-23-2017, 08:33 AM
Parker was an elite scorer at the rim with elite footwork, scoop shots floaters, using the basket to protect the shot, getting into the bigs body. Even early on he showed precociousness. He also was much quicker and faster. It's amazing how ignorant current Spurs fans are of the talent Parker showed even in the beginning.

Ignorant? Wtf. That's way off. Everyone here saw that shit. He was a badass. No one has said anything different about his first years.

Atl Spur
05-23-2017, 08:33 AM
The kid has confidence and pride..... Those traits will help him get better! We will need Bryn and Davis to play better next year. These two dudes are essential in today's NBA.

tmtcsc
05-23-2017, 08:34 AM
Parker couldn't shoot for shit and has always been shitty on D.

Parker had been playing professionally in France against grown men before he came to the Spurs. It's not the same. He could drive and dish while staying under control. His defense wasn't great but he gave opposing guards fits with his speed. Just ask Gary Payton. When he got here, we had the following players on the roster:

1. Tim Duncan
2. David Robinson
3. Bruce Bowen
4. Antonio Daniels
5. Steve Smith
6. Terry Porter
7. Stephen Jackson
8. Malik Rose
9. Danny Ferry
10. Mark Bryant
11. Jason Hart

That's a lot of experience and a great support system to start with. Murray isn't walking in to the same system. I love his potential, glad the Spurs got him but he's not ready to direct this team to the finals as a PG. Yes, he needs a good summer camp, lots of minutes next year and the years to come. I don't think he will be a reliable contributor for another 2 years at least. I hope I'm wrong and he can advance quicker than that.

SpursforSix
05-23-2017, 08:40 AM
Parker had been playing professionally in France against grown men before he came to the Spurs. It's not the same. He could drive and dish while staying under control. His defense wasn't great but he gave opposing guards fits with his speed. Just ask Gary Payton. When he got here, we had the following players on the roster:

1. Tim Duncan
2. David Robinson
3. Bruce Bowen
4. Antonio Daniels
5. Steve Smith
6. Terry Porter
7. Stephen Jackson
8. Malik Rose
9. Danny Ferry
10. Mark Bryant
11. Jason Hart

That's a lot of experience and a great support system to start with. Murray isn't walking in to the same system. I love his potential, glad the Spurs got him but he's not ready to direct this team to the finals as a PG. Yes, he needs a good summer camp, lots of minutes next year and the years to come. I don't think he will be a reliable contributor for another 2 years at least. I hope I'm wrong and he can advance quicker than that.

Jason Hart was trash. He made Parker worse if anything.

Atl Spur
05-23-2017, 08:42 AM
Having Leonard will help him and Pop will also get him to play up to his ability; less flash and more substance! Pop kind of mentioned Steph has done the same thing with his game. The kid will be fine.

tmtcsc
05-23-2017, 09:24 AM
Jason Hart was trash. He made Parker worse if anything.

You got me there.

rasuo214
05-23-2017, 09:38 AM
He isn't ready to start but he might end up being the best option. I would prefer him to be the backup PG, it would allow him to progress and improve his game without putting pressure on him right away (similar to Kawhi) and I think his energy and athleticism would be nice to have on a 2nd unit. But that would rely on the Spurs getting one of the top PGs in FA and I'm not sure how likely that is.

Blake
05-23-2017, 09:49 AM
I'm fine with him starting. Not so sure about finishing

picnroll
05-23-2017, 09:53 AM
If Murray starts or plays big minutes next season what's the over/under on Spurstalk decompensation, Murray is trash threads?

DaBears
05-23-2017, 10:03 AM
I hope not. I'd rather spend that money somewhere else. Murray has proven he can play at this level. The Spurs are too conservative about playing young guards. Seems like half the teams inthe league find some PG that can jump in and play. There's probably 5 or 6 that have backups better than Parker. Sorry...but I think you're dead wrong in Murray.

He will be the starting PG next year. At the least, by the end of the year.

To be fair he is too raw at this point.. I like him for the flashes he shows, and there is for sure promise but not quite ready for starting role.. Chip E will need to put in some offseason work with him to fix that jumper...

Atl Spur
05-23-2017, 10:13 AM
Summer league will be big for him as well as his ability to focus on the fundamentals of the position. Right now his ball security along with decision making will only get better with continuous play and directive. I feel he will be better year two now that he has an idea of the NBA game speed and skill level.

picnroll
05-23-2017, 10:21 AM
Ignorant? Wtf. That's way off. Everyone here saw that shit. He was a badass. No one has said anything different about his first years.
Oh really. There are posters here saying Murray has looked better in his rookie year than Parker did.

raybies
05-23-2017, 10:34 AM
You look at what he is and you build from there. He has ideal length and size for his position so you ask him to defend first. He's a great rebounder for a point so you have him do that. Offensively he can get to the cup, so every now and then you put him in the pick and roll and see what he can do. All summer I expect him to run pick and roll and work on his shot. Kawhi can bring the ball up too if he starts. I don't know why people think just because he starts he has to be the number two or three option. Just give him the reps like Kawhi and how he was developed.

phxspurfan
05-23-2017, 11:09 AM
Has to learn to handle full court pressure and traps. But he has the speed for sure.

Maybe he spends some time with Jamal this summer and develops some of those handles

LkrFan
05-23-2017, 11:14 AM
If Pop were smart, he'd give him the keys like he did with an unproven TP years ago.

Blake
05-23-2017, 11:18 AM
He and Simmons both need to kawhi their outside shooting

raybies
05-23-2017, 11:21 AM
He and Simmons both need to kawhi their outside shooting
For reals. DJ out here shooting fadeaway one handers

Joseph Kony
05-23-2017, 11:22 AM
If I was Murray i would just hang out with Kawhi and do whatever he does in the offseason tbh

itzsoweezee
05-23-2017, 11:23 AM
The length of the lineup with Murray starting would be amazing​. I'd rather he get a ton of minutes to develop than the spurs bring in some vet scrub. They're not winning the championship next year anyway, so why not give your future a major opportunity for two seasons from now, when the Spurs will really make a run for the championship.

rjv
05-23-2017, 11:25 AM
he's a better defender at this age than TP, and he has more athleticism and size of course, but TP had several years of pro basketball experience that helped him tremendously in his first year. murray did pick up some great experience in these playoffs and will likely get some time to work on his deficiencies in the summer league. whether he starts or not really depends on what parker's health is (likely out, of course) and the status of mills as an FA as well as whether or not we get another PG (and who that PG would be).

cd021
05-23-2017, 11:54 AM

http://hoopshype.com/2017/04/26/nba-free-agency-2017-point-guards/

Mills is 9th and probably should be 7th ahead of Curry (not leaving) and Rondo)

not a good list.
Collision maybe?

I'd rather keep Mills and essientially split the work load between the two with Murray starting.

TheDoctor
05-23-2017, 01:37 PM
If I was Murray i would just hang out with Kawhi and do whatever he does in the offseason tbh

BSfromTX
05-23-2017, 01:38 PM
Murray needs to start. Parker was just as much of a liability when he started. Parker had zero mid range when he started and was not a great passer. Phil exposed that by packing the lane and forcing him to shoot or create.

murray is a way better defender, but still thinks he's playing high schoolers from time to time and makes mistakes. It really sucks that he didn't get more PT during the regular season, because it would have gone a long way for these last few games. I'd rather go through some growing pains next season and have a developed 21-22 yo pg rather than have to wait til he's 25. Not to mention he's on a rook deal. Save that money and go after other weaknesses...

murray is a bargain with amazing upside.

TheDoctor
05-23-2017, 01:39 PM
coachmac87 in suicide watch tbh He's having a stroke at minimum :lol

SpursforSix
05-23-2017, 01:44 PM
Oh really. There are posters here saying Murray has looked better in his rookie year than Parker did.

Yeah...that's ridiculous. Parker came in to the league with all star handles. But he'd been playing pro ball for a few years already. Way more games than a college kid. But like Parker, Murray has superior quickness. If they can add the skills to go with that, he could be something special.

SpursforSix
05-23-2017, 01:47 PM
Murray needs to start. Parker was just as much of a liability when he started. Parker had zero mid range when he started and was not a great passer. Phil exposed that by packing the lane and forcing him to shoot or create.

murray is a way better defender, but still thinks he's playing high schoolers from time to time and makes mistakes. It really sucks that he didn't get more PT during the regular season, because it would have gone a long way for these last few games. I'd rather go through some growing pains next season and have a developed 21-22 yo pg rather than have to wait til he's 25. Not to mention he's on a rook deal. Save that money and go after other weaknesses...

I'm a huge Murray fan. But Parker was so quick that it was irrelevant that he didn't' have a midrange game. Or couldn't shoot the three or pass.
That's how damn good he was. He was a one trick pony and still no one could cover him.

Proxy
05-23-2017, 01:52 PM
Tp being out, Murray should start even if Patty stays. If playoffs roll around, I could see Pop reinserting TP to start like he usually does with the centers if Murray's production dips

SpursforSix
05-23-2017, 02:06 PM
Tp being out, Murray should start even if Patty stays. If playoffs roll around, I could see Pop reinserting TP to start like he usually does with the centers if Murray's production dips

Yeah. Patty is awful as PG option. Putting him at that position has made him look like shit. He's begin asked to do things that he cant. Regardless of Murray's weaknesses, he can get in the lane and seems to be able to at least understand when he needs to pass. And he seems to be a decent defender and solid rebounder.

sasaint
05-23-2017, 02:08 PM

murray is a bargain with amazing upside.

Nailed it, NoBS!

TheDoctor
05-23-2017, 02:10 PM
Yeah. Patty is awful as PG option. Putting him at that position has made him look like shit. He's begin asked to do things that he cant. Regardless of Murray's weaknesses, he can get in the lane and seems to be able to at least understand when he needs to pass. And he seems to be a decent defender and solid rebounder.

I agree.

duncan2k5
05-23-2017, 04:02 PM
As soon as he can hit the broadside of a barn I'll consent to him starting.

Until then, he needs to be BURIED on the bench. Because right now he's completely out of control offensively and the Warriors are giving him a wide berth because they know he can't shoot. It's embarrassing.

Parker couldn't hit the broad side of a barn the first 5 years of his career...He started his rookie year...

SpursforSix
05-23-2017, 04:06 PM
Parker couldn't hit the broad side of a barn the first 5 years of his career...He started his rookie year...

Yeah....but he was an elite ballhandler. Quickest dude in the NBA.

Murray is not that. But he's shown enough (imo) to put him out there. He's consistently shown he can get into the paint at will. Once his decision making improves, he'll be fine.

coachmac87
05-23-2017, 04:11 PM
coachmac87 in suicide watch tbh He's having a stroke at minimum :lol

Lmao I mean the kid needs to be part of the rotation for sure. I just think it's fools gold and too much to ask for a 19-20yr old kid to be a starter for a true contender...

Tony Parker had veteran leadership around him...Spurs have a Mute in Kawhi and bitch named LaMarsha...

Go get CP3 and let Murray learn and grow

duncan2k5
05-23-2017, 04:14 PM
The only reason Parker looked better in his rookie year was the sample size...He started from the beginning, so we could see all he has to offer...He learned and got better as the season went on...Murray wasn't given the same chance...Murray actually is more gifted than a rookie parker...Better dribbling skills, more athletic, much taller...He needs to start..Just needs to work on shooting and defense

SpursforSix
05-23-2017, 04:18 PM
Lmao I mean the kid needs to be part of the rotation for sure. I just think it's fools gold and too much to ask for a 19-20yr old kid to be a starter for a true contender...

Tony Parker had veteran leadership around him...Spurs have a Mute in Kawhi and bitch named LaMarsha...

Go get CP3 and let Murray learn and grow

so...just sit him on the bench and let him grow?

duncan2k5
05-23-2017, 04:18 PM
I'm a huge Murray fan. But Parker was so quick that it was irrelevant that he didn't' have a midrange game. Or couldn't shoot the three or pass.
That's how damn good he was. He was a one trick pony and still no one could cover him.

Huh??? We lost MANY playoff series because parker disappeared... he was even benchedbfor speedy Clacton because of how bad he was in the finals

coachmac87
05-23-2017, 04:31 PM
so...just sit him on the bench and let him grow?

No you let him be the back up point or combo guard off the bench....especially with Manu retiring and Simmons going somewhere else

TheDoctor
05-23-2017, 05:03 PM
Huh??? We lost MANY playoff series because parker disappeared... he was even benched for Speedy Claxton because of how bad he was in the finals

http://stateofthenation2012.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/0-6-Pack-Abs-Sales-Image-Truth-Bombs-656x1024.png

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-23-2017, 05:47 PM
Chip will fix his release over the summer and all the critics will have to eat it next year. Raise his release point from about chest high to up eye level or higher, and the kid will be set. He had no problems taking anyone from the Warriors off the dribble (even Klay and Draymond), just couldn't finish consistently.

Not sure how anyone isn't excited about seeing him develop next season.

duncan2k5
05-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Chip will fix his release over the summer and all the critics will have to eat it next year. Raise his release point from about chest high to up eye level or higher, and the kid will be set. He had no problems taking anyone from the Warriors off the dribble (even Klay and Draymond), just couldn't finish consistently.

NASpurs
05-23-2017, 08:36 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/NBASpurs/comments/6cxth5/sounds_like_dejounte_might_work_with_kawhi_this/

Reddit is saying that Dejounte might work out with Leonard during the summer. Probably Pop trying to show Dejounte Leonard's work ethic during the offseason instead of someone like Aldridge who just gets fat.

coachmac87
05-23-2017, 08:42 PM

Totally agree....

But still not starter worthy

dabom
05-23-2017, 08:44 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/NBASpurs/comments/6cxth5/sounds_like_dejounte_might_work_with_kawhi_this/

Reddit is saying that Dejounte might work out with Leonard during the summer. Probably Pop trying to show Dejounte Leonard's work ethic during the offseason instead of someone like Aldridge who just gets fat.

:lol

raybies
05-23-2017, 09:01 PM
one of the biggest attributes to the Spurs success, the yoking of the veterans to the youth. And not just any veterans but all time greats. You had Robinson to Duncan and so on and so forth. This kid is gonna be an all star one day book it. No better player to work out with imo especially with the kind of growth Leonard has experienced year after year. A true story of what hard work can do...

BSfromTX
05-24-2017, 12:46 PM

Parker was fast, but in his first year, he had a hard time finishing at the rim. He had yet to develop his floater or jump shot. Must get ball to Teemy was his main job. And yes speedy claxton had to change his diaper in the finals.

Had murray started all year like Parker got to, we would have seen a different player. Chip will fix his shot just like he did kawhi and parker

BSfromTX
05-24-2017, 12:49 PM
You can tell the kid doesn't want to just play. He wants and expects to be a star, and I think he will be

PopTheGOAT
05-24-2017, 01:15 PM

Go get CP3 and let Murray learn and grow maybe we'd be sacrificing that for a couple of seasons tbh. But we'd still be very good, and we will grow back into true contenders if/when he's ready

coachmac87
05-24-2017, 01:32 PM
maybe we'd be sacrificing that for a couple of seasons tbh. But we'd still be very good, and we will grow back into true contenders if/when he's ready

Um no you don't sacrifice the prime years of a top 3-5 player in the league (Kawhi). You've gotta explore other options first and if all fails then maybe you go that route.

PS: Kaehi is only under contract for 2 more years...can't get too comfortable

PopTheGOAT
05-24-2017, 01:47 PM
Um no you don't sacrifice the prime years of a top 3-5 player in the league (Kawhi). You've gotta explore other options first and if all fails then maybe you go that route.

Tell me a way we can be true contenders next season and I'm on board. CP3 isn't it. 32 and aging, nope. We had no money this season. Next year we will. Start Murray and let him grow for a year, then we can make a FA signing next offseason and Kawhi will be in his 27 yo season.

You can just say we can't "sacrifice the prime years" of a superstar. You can't just say it and make it happen. It's hard to be a contender. Not maximizing a young player's potential is a mistake, too. And it's something you can completely control.

Keepin' it real
05-24-2017, 01:55 PM
The length of the lineup with Murray starting would be amazing​. I'd rather he get a ton of minutes to develop than the spurs bring in some vet scrub. They're not winning the championship next year anyway, so why not give your future a major opportunity for two seasons from now, when the Spurs will really make a run for the championship.

Is that a fact?

coachmac87
05-24-2017, 02:07 PM
Tell me a way we can be true contenders next season and I'm on board. CP3 isn't it. 32 and aging, nope. We had no money this season. Next year we will. Start Murray and let him grow for a year, then we can make a FA signing next offseason and Kawhi will be in his 27 yo season.

You can just say we can't "sacrifice the prime years" of a superstar. You can't just say it and make it happen. It's hard to be a contender. Not maximizing a young player's potential is a mistake, too. And it's something you can completely control.

Murray would arguably be ranked one of the worst starting point guards in the west...and he'd be on a top 3 team in the west. I'm on board with Murray growing and playing more just not as a starter...he's just not ready and it doesn't take a basketball genius to recognize it...

PopTheGOAT
05-24-2017, 02:22 PM
Murray would arguably be ranked one of the worst starting point guards in the west...and he'd be on a top 3 team in the west. I'm on board with Murray growing and playing more just not as a starter...he's just not ready and it doesn't take a basketball genius to recognize it...
He's not developed enough to comfortably start him, but he will cost 0 additional money and he needs the experience.
We obviously just disagree, but I want you to tell me how we're gonna sign CP3. Gasol is opting in. What money? Trade LMA? So Kawhi and CP3 is enough to win it all next year?

wildbill2u
05-24-2017, 02:25 PM
Needs too much work to get to starter status for a contender team next season.

coachmac87
05-24-2017, 02:36 PM
He's not developed enough to comfortably start him, but he will cost 0 additional money and he needs the experience.
We obviously just disagree, but I want you to tell me how we're gonna sign CP3. Gasol is opting in. What money? Trade LMA? So Kawhi and CP3 is enough to win it all next year?

Well if he's not ready to start then don't start him...he needs to be the back up point or combo off the bench..kinda like a Jamal Crawford type..

But regarding Paul? There's a lot of moving parts we just don't know tbh...

Will he take less then 4-5 year contract? Will he take less then super max $? What's the time table for Parker return?? Gasol doesn't matter because regardless what he does he will get moved if Paul is a possibility..

Would I trade LMA if it meant getting Paul? Yes I would...

And yes I think a Paul/Kawhi team can compete..Other then LeBron and Kawhi..Paul was 3rd best player this postseason

PopTheGOAT
05-24-2017, 02:57 PM
Well if he's not ready to start then don't start him...he needs to be the back up point or combo off the bench..kinda like a Jamal Crawford type..

But regarding Paul? There's a lot of moving parts we just don't know tbh...

Will he take less then 4-5 year contract? Will he take less then super max $? What's the time table for Parker return?? Gasol doesn't matter because regardless what he does he will get moved if Paul is a possibility..

Would I trade LMA if it meant getting Paul? Yes I would...

And yes I think a Paul/Kawhi team can compete..Other then LeBron and Kawhi..Paul was 3rd best player this postseason
"Starting" is overrated on this team. I want Murray to get significant minutes. Obviously I'd prefer to have someone to plug in when Murray shows his age. But don't want PATFO to overpay an aging player.

I think we disagree on what CP3's value is and how well he would fit on the Spurs. I mean, if he wants to ring chase and go the D West route, I'm down for a Kawhi-LMA-CP3 trio. I just don't see that. I know they could pay him more than they paid West, I just mean Paul has the West mentality

duncan2k5
05-24-2017, 03:50 PM

Kawhi reached where he is now because he was given the chance to...If we had parked him on the bench in favor of a sf that can shoot, and has more experience, he would have never been this good this fast

duncan2k5
05-24-2017, 03:53 PM
CP3 is an old choker...I font want those types on the team anymore... seems like we are where aging stars go to retire...It makes us good every year, but we always seem to lack the speed and athleticism of the team that beats us...Time to give the younger guys that show potential some burn...............Not Kyle though...He sucks

Joseph Kony
05-24-2017, 03:59 PM
so CP3 is old but Lebron isnt? They're the same age :lol and CP3 has never relied on his athleticism, his game will age well imo

SpursforSix
05-24-2017, 04:05 PM
Spurs need a decent big man way more than a guard.

duncan2k5
05-24-2017, 04:08 PM
so CP3 is old but Lebron isnt? They're the same age :lol and CP3 has never relied on his athleticism, his game will age well imo

Lebron is a different beast from CP3...You can move around an old lebron when his age shows...CP3 is only a pg...Besides lebron is in a different stratosphere

raybies
05-24-2017, 04:10 PM
Spurs need a decent big man way more than a guard.
not in this day in age . This game is guard heavy and the league protects guards way more than it does bigs. Think about it... a guard can just run in the lane get touched and throw the ball up and get to the line. Bigs aren't really refereed fairly anymore. Lots of calls get missed at the rim. It's just easier to see a foul on the perimeter.

Joseph Kony
05-24-2017, 04:28 PM
Lebron is a different beast from CP3...You can move around an old lebron when his age shows...CP3 is only a pg...Besides lebron is in a different stratosphere
im not arguing about who is better, that is not even debatable. but people calling a 32 year old while another 32 year old (who relies a lot on athleticism) is regarded as the best in the league and no one ever calls him old doesnt make sense tbh

TheDoctor
05-24-2017, 07:55 PM
DJ just posted on Instagram a memory of him training at the Spurs facility.

:flag:

CGD
05-24-2017, 08:37 PM
Might not have much of a choice. Tony hurt, Patty will be paid, Bryn Forbes not the guy, will vet be ready to step in?

spursistan
05-25-2017, 01:22 AM
Dude needs to get over himself...He's blocking people/journalists left and right on twitter over harmless comments/quotes..This is another documented case..

GSH
05-25-2017, 01:26 AM
Dude needs to get over himself...He's blocking people/journalists left and right on twitter over harmless comments/quotes..This is another documented case.

Another promising basketball career destroyed over bad social media habits. It's a shame. Murray's re-tweets per-36 was already way too low.

dabom
05-25-2017, 01:47 AM
Another promising basketball career destroyed over bad social media habits. It's a shame. Murray's re-tweets per-36 was already way too low.

:lmao

TheGreatYacht
05-25-2017, 02:44 AM
Dude needs to get over himself...He's blocking people/journalists left and right on twitter over harmless comments/quotes..This is another documented case..

Does that guy live and die by "advanced" analytics? If so, he probably deserved it if not worse.

BatManu20
05-25-2017, 03:08 AM
He's really not.. but I don't think the Spurs are going to have much of a choice tbh. I think PATFO will (wisely) pass on spending big $$ on a PG and Murray will be our starting PG next season, for better or worse. Going to be a lot of growing pains for him and he'll cause Pop a lot of stress, but he'll be better in the long term for it.

He really needs to work on that jumper this offseason though. Don't think he'll ever be a great shooter, but it's gotta improve for defenses to respect it. Lock him in the gym with Chip over the summer and it'll improve.

TheDoctor
05-25-2017, 10:55 AM
He's really not.. but I don't think the Spurs are going to have much of a choice tbh. I think PATFO will (wisely) pass on spending big $$ on a PG and Murray will be our starting PG next season, for better or worse. Going to be a lot of growing pains for him and he'll cause Pop a lot of stress, but he'll be better in the long term for it.

He really needs to work on that jumper this offseason though. Don't think he'll ever be a great shooter, but it's gotta improve for defenses to respect it. Lock him in the gym with Chip over the summer and it'll improve.

coachmac87 right now tbh:
https://media.tenor.co/images/7a3bd0140c549927fbcb7dc1298ddd24/tenor.gif

coachmac87
05-25-2017, 11:33 AM
coachmac87 right now tbh:
https://media.tenor.co/images/7a3bd0140c549927fbcb7dc1298ddd24/tenor.gif

:lmao

coachmac87
05-25-2017, 11:45 AM

According to Reddit Murray and Simmons were working out together at facility yesterday

TheDoctor
05-26-2017, 11:54 PM
According to Reddit Murray and Simmons were working out together at facility yesterday
Per Instagram tonight too.