PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Point Guards - the players - the targets

tbdog
05-23-2017, 02:00 AM
Refer to this thread for Chinook's salary and numbers (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266699)
Refer to this thread for Shooting Guard thread (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268773&p=9028259#post9028259)

Spurs front office need to build a contender over the next 5 years while Leonard is a stud. Do they make a lot of moves this off season to continue the title contention? Or do they hold sail for the 2018 season, which appeared the most likely outcome prior to this season with the expiring contracts of Parker and Gasol, plus the opt renegotiation with LMA deal?

Point Guard position is probably the most interesting position of need with Parker injury, Murray still raw, and Mills proved he cannot run an offense with another failure of a series. With the pending retirement Manu, Spurs are short of a playmaker. Regardless, we will have to sign someone in this position. A lot of what ifs regarding Parker. Regardless, Spurs will obtain a point guard this off-season because there will be better options out there than Mills and Parker.

Top Range - 16mil+ to max contracts

Paul
Teague
Lowry
Hill
Rose
Holiday

On Paul, I don't think it is even close we can get him. Too many pieces will need to be moved and he still will need to take a paycut. All those other guys should be looking 16 mil plus a season, and well out of Spurs price range. Even if Spurs move pieces, are they willing to pay for borderline allstars? Will Rose take a pay cut? Will Hill take a pay cut to rejoin? Can we get a deal done for both Holiday's?

Outcome: Spurs make the phone call, find out the asking price and move on.

Midrange - 8 to 15 mil contracts.

Collinson
Livingston
D.Will
MCW
Rodriguez
Felton

The Spurs could look at some midrange guys to give Murray more time. All these guys could run an offense better than Mills. And if Spurs were to go down this path, it would assume Parker is done. Spurs could look at MCW as a long term approach or Rodriguez, both fairly young and both should grow.

Outcome: Unlikely. Midrange point guards for midrange price contracts and a terrible decision, and Murray could outplay them by the end of the season. I don't see any of these players taking paycuts.

Veterans and the raw - Min to low dollar contracts

Sessions
Galloway
Mack
Calderon
Udrih
Vasquez
Cole

Most likely scenario that the Spurs will look at a veteran as a Murray and Parker insurance. I don't see it likely the Spurs will go for a raw player like Cole because they are developing Murray. And if so, it might be best to draft or trade up in a draft for a prospect point guard.

Outcome: Likely, Spurs will look at the steady Calderon or defensive big point guard in Mack as a per stop gap signing strategy.

Trade targets
Bledsoe - 14 mil
Knight - 13 mil
Rubio - 14mil
Jackson - 16mil
Smart - 4 mil
Payton - 3 mil
Nelson - 4mil
Dellavedova -10 mil
Barea - 4ml
Harris - 4mil
Rozier - 2 mil
Ish Smith - 5 mil

Some interesting names and targets here, and all could be a on trading block, and some could be taken with any expiring contract (Gasol/Parker). Smart will take a bigger offer with Celtics possibly drafting a combo guard.

Outcome: Possibility. Parker is done or has a longer road to recovery than original believed that could miss the year, Spurs could easily move Gasol or sign and trade Mills. I can imagine the Magic thinking about a sign and trade for Mills involving Payton. Bucks the same with Della. Rubio is an option with T'wolves desire for a veteran big in Gasol.

TheGreatYacht
05-23-2017, 02:03 AM
Good thread :tu

One for the weakest position on the team, Shooting Guard, would be nice too

tbdog
05-23-2017, 02:04 AM
Good thread :tu

One for the weakest position on the team, Shooting Guard, would be nice too

I will get every position done over time.

EIC
05-23-2017, 02:24 AM
It depends how much the top-shelf guys want to win versus getting paid. The league is very imbalanced right now. Only three teams have a realistic shot: GSW, LeBron's team, and Kawhi's team. GSW has guards. Cabs have Irving. Spurs do not have a starting 1 or 2 if we're being honest.

I can thus see a CP3 or Lowry making a move to the Spurs. If so, we're just a big man short of a dominant team.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-23-2017, 02:27 AM
If they can open some significant cap space by salary dumping Gasol/renouncing Patty, etc. I'd much rather them go after a big like Millsap. He'll probably have better offers than what the Spurs could give him but only from worse teams with no chance to contend. Murray has been very wild and not sure if he could be relied upon for next season, but the team is going to have holes anyway, so you have to expect and hope for some internal improvement too.

- Gasol opt out/ salary dump - easier said than done, Minnesota, if they still have interest, would probably like to throw Aldrich in the deal, but there you go. Biggest decision node of the offseason
- renounce everyone expiring, except for Simmons, who has a very low cap hold

- offer Millsap a contract starting at $18-22 mil - it's possible to free up this amount in the described scenario
- match a reasonable offer for Simmons
- sign Motiejunas with the room exception
- sign a vet min PG
- bring Hanga and Milutinov

Murray, vet min PG, injured Tony
Green, Simmons, Hanga
Kawhi, KA, 29th pick
Millsap, Bertans, Lee?
LMA, Motiejunas, Milutinov

2-way contracts : Forbes?, 59th pick

Mal
05-23-2017, 02:29 AM
Millsap is gonna sign with whoever give him his max at 35 mil a year. He didn`t opt out of 22mil, to sign for even or less. And someone will pay him that money.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-23-2017, 02:34 AM
Millsap is gonna sign with whoever give him his max at 35 mil a year. He didn`t opt out of 22mil, to sign for even or less. And someone will pay him that money.

Very possible but not sure he's going to get max offers, he's 32. Perhaps Atlanta are still undecided on their rebuilding and re-sign him. He'll likely get better offers than what the Spurs could give him, but how much better I'm not sure. he's made about $100 mil in his career already, he might want to play for a semi-contender for once. Of course if he gets a max offer or close to it the Spurs have no chance.

Ibaka is a more realistic alternative, but he's probably about 40 years old.

Mal
05-23-2017, 03:31 AM
Very possible but not sure he's going to get max offers, he's 32. Perhaps Atlanta are still undecided on their rebuilding and re-sign him. He'll likely get better offers than what the Spurs could give him, but how much better I'm not sure. he's made about $100 mil in his career already, he might want to play for a semi-contender for once. Of course if he gets a max offer or close to it the Spurs have no chance.

Ibaka is a more realistic alternative, but he's probably about 40 years old.

From what I`ve read, Ibaka already signed with Raptors.
Millsap have 2 good years in front of him, worth 30 mil for sure. But if he lose step at age 35 with 2 years for 65 mil remaining..

99 Problems
05-23-2017, 03:59 AM
As I mentioned other day in the $53 Million thread I'm go for launch on Smart. Excellent D. Outstanding rebounder for a 6'3 6'4 guy. Can rebound with guys 6'7 6'8. Hard competitive edge type player.

tbdog
05-23-2017, 04:53 AM
If we can focus this thread on PG's. If you want to bring an idea of landing an allstar PF, can you please also add what PG you would want to complete the team? Ill get working on the SG thread.

tbdog
05-23-2017, 04:55 AM
As I mentioned other day in the $53 Million thread I'm go for launch on Smart. Excellent D. Outstanding rebounder for a 6'3 6'4 guy. Can rebound with guys 6'7 6'8. Hard competitive edge type player.

I love Smart game. But unsure how we could obtain them. Celtics would want at least Green and more.

99 Problems
05-23-2017, 05:02 AM
Difficult I think as well. Maybe somehow in multi situation if Celtics go all in for Jimmy or Hayward?

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-23-2017, 12:14 PM
The list of potential min PGs is very underwhelming, Mack would be a good option, Felton had a decent season in LA too.

raybies
05-23-2017, 12:37 PM
I still haven't given up on Ennis

spurs2112
05-23-2017, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't mind trying to get Waiters. Havent't seen a lot of him but from what I have seen he was playing pretty good ball for Miami prior to his injury. He looks like hes a player whos not afraid to take the big shots and would bring some toughness to the team.

Edit: My bad, wrong message board.

SAGirl
05-23-2017, 12:54 PM
Although he's a young player and I think guys are focusing on veterans, every time I have watched him Tyus Jones from Minny has been solid.

venitian navigator
05-23-2017, 12:54 PM
if we have to sign a veteran play maker in a wait and see approach for both the healing of the old guy (parker) and the developing of young guy (Murray) I frankly see no better option than re-sign Manu...with the big irony that this time he's gonna be, at least at the beginning of the season, our starting point guard.

SAGirl
05-23-2017, 12:57 PM
I would not mind Manu back frankly considering situation and his veteran experience. I prefer that to Mills.

venitian navigator
05-23-2017, 01:08 PM
Mills is not and will never be a point guard...if the off season has shown something is tthat Mils in not a starting point guard.
Not enough ball handling skills and cretive ability.
He's a very good shooter, sometimes capable of create his own shot but not so much when he is adequately guarded, and an under par defensive player.
He's a possible sixth man on a contender but that's his limit imho...pairing him with Green is suicide. Pairing him with Manu is more than ok...if they both starts from the bench.

kaji157
05-23-2017, 01:13 PM
What makes the most sense about George Hill is that he can play both guards positions.

Anyways, untill the staff really knows the timeline of Parker´s return and what they can do with that contract (assuming whatever they´ll do he will be here when he´s ready to play again), we cannot speculate on what player to sign. Both at PG or SG.

I think the only clear thing right now is that we need to turn Gasol into something usefull.

hater
05-23-2017, 01:39 PM
Georgie will probably come back as he is not only a PG but a SG

Ill take Delisammich as well dude has balls of steel and would be our MVPvs Worriers

TheDoctor
05-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Georgie will probably come back as he is not only a PG but a SG

Ill take Delisammich as well dude has balls of steel and would be our MVPvs Worriers
!!! I haven't thought of Deli. That fucker hate them posers for sure.

In case we don't get CP3 or Georgie and Tony retires, personally I like Ish Smith's game tbh. Nice distributor and decent player off the ball. I think he would be a nice backup/starter combined with Murray. He currently is under contract till 2019 at 6M/yr.

tbdog
05-23-2017, 02:07 PM
!!! I haven't thought of Deli. That fucker hate them posers for sure.

In case we don't get CP3 or Georgie and Tony retires, personally I like Ish Smith's game tbh. Nice distributor and decent player off the ball. I think he would be a nice backup/starter combined with Murray. He currently is under contract till 2019 at 6M/yr.

I forgot about him. I have added him to the trade section.

TheDoctor
05-23-2017, 02:31 PM
I gotta say that 2 things that could limit the Spurs interest in Ish are his 3pt(29% career) and FT(66% career) shooting. So he's not that instant offense coming off the bench a la Patty or what we expected from Patty.

alpha_HaZE
05-23-2017, 02:55 PM
It looks like they are gearing up for the next free agency season not this one. And they do plan to bring everyone back. I hope JSimms can stay, and if you think we are trading LMA, then I have some property by the Pacific Ocean in Idaho to sell you.

Ideally we keep most of our players and we swap Patty for G Hill, to me, that's the best case scenario!

Tony/Hill/Murray
Green/Hill/JSimms
Kawhi/JSimms/KA
LMA/KA/Betrans
Dedmon/Pau

That would be an upgrade. We were good enough to win this year.

tbdog
05-23-2017, 02:57 PM
We cant get hill without moving at the very least Paul Gasol for naught. And Defiantly cannot resign Dedmon as well.

eDizzle20
05-23-2017, 03:11 PM
I'm sure Pop will be in touch with Hill as soon as free agency starts. Pop always stated that he was his favorite player when he was with the team. Hill is an excellent defender and plays well without the ball as well, not to mention he already knows the system. I'm sure they're interested in him more than any another free agent PG, although very unlikely due to cap restraints.

SpursforSix
05-23-2017, 03:16 PM
I'm sure Pop will be in touch with Hill as soon as free agency starts. Pop always stated that he was his favorite player when he was with the team. Hill is an excellent defender and plays well without the ball as well, not to mention he already knows the system. I'm sure they're interested in him more than any another free agent PG, although very unlikely due to cap restraints.

Will they touch tips? Or will it be full on?

mo7888
05-23-2017, 03:34 PM
Detroit wants badly to get rid of Reggie Jackson. Stan loves former Spurs... how about Parker and his expiring contract for Jackson?

Chinook
05-23-2017, 03:36 PM
That second tier of PGs looks horrendous.

DPG21920
05-23-2017, 03:38 PM
I love Smart game. But unsure how we could obtain them. Celtics would want at least Green and more.

Smart is a poor mans Beverly. He really can't shoot despite hitting 7 3's vs CLE last game. It's a major issue, but I like all of his other talents. But non-shooting PG is really tough especially as a starter.

DPG21920
05-23-2017, 03:39 PM
If we are going to go non-shooting guards, I would like Peyton. He has shown improvements (not in shooting) but he's cheap enough for a one year stop gap to evaluate him, likely get an improvement over regular season TP (at least on defense) and only pay him if he's a great fit all the while not ruining 2018 at all.

tbdog
05-23-2017, 05:13 PM
Smart is a poor mans Beverly. He really can't shoot despite hitting 7 3's vs CLE last game. It's a major issue, but I like all of his other talents. But non-shooting PG is really tough especially as a starter.

Smart is a better player now and will be for years to come. The only thing Beverly does better is a much stronger shooter and perhaps defending against small PG's. Otherwise, Smart runs an offense better, better scorer and finishing and drawing contact, better passer, stealer, blocker, and can legit defend 1 and 2's.

DPG21920
05-23-2017, 05:14 PM
Smart is a better player now and will be for years to come. The only thing Beverly does better is a much stronger shooter and perhaps defending against small PG's. Otherwise, Smart runs an offense better, better scorer and finishing and drawing contact, better passer, stealer, blocker, and can legit defend 1 and 2's.

He can't shoot.

tbdog
05-23-2017, 05:18 PM
He can't shoot.

Beverly is 10% better from down town. Besides, Kidd couldnt shoot. Smart has similar game to him. He shot isn't broken like Payton.

lilbthebasedgod
05-23-2017, 05:24 PM
Rajon Rondo is who I'd prefer but he's not coming.

Play Boban
05-23-2017, 05:29 PM
Jose Calderon. :wow

TD 21
05-23-2017, 05:31 PM
Carter-Williams, Rodriguez and Felton, I'd be surprised if they fell into the mid range and if any player in that class exceeded the MLE. Sessions is in the same class as the aforementioned 3 (they probably go for a lower exception) and Galloway might not opt out and is more of a shooting guard anyway.

In the end, they'll probably re-sign Mills, then target Williams, Calderon, Mack and Vasquez, in that order, as a one year stop gap.

TheDoctor
05-23-2017, 07:10 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nba/players/full/4229.png&w=350&h=254

MaNu4Tres
05-23-2017, 07:32 PM
Carter-Williams, Rodriguez and Felton, I'd be surprised if they fell into the mid range and if any player in that class exceeded the MLE. Sessions is in the same class as the aforementioned 3 (they probably go for a lower exception) and Galloway might not opt out and is more of a shooting guard anyway.

In the end, they'll probably re-sign Mills, then target Williams, Calderon, Mack and Vasquez, in that order, as a one year stop gap.

Pray this isn't the case. No Mills No.

duncan2k5
05-23-2017, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't mind trying to get Waiters. Havent't seen a lot of him but from what I have seen he was playing pretty good ball for Miami prior to his injury. He looks like hes a player whos not afraid to take the big shots and would bring some toughness to the team.

Edit: My bad, wrong message board.

hell no! dude is a cancer

duncan2k5
05-23-2017, 07:39 PM
Keep Murray, upgrade other positions...ESPECIALLY our soft bigs (except Dedmon)

MaNu4Tres
05-23-2017, 07:57 PM
Keep Murray, upgrade other positions...ESPECIALLY our soft bigs (except Dedmon)

There's not many good bigs available. The good ones, teams won't trade. Only options Spurs have to improve their frontcourt are Ibaka, Milsap, and through the draft. And I don't even like Ibaka all that much considering he lied about his age by 5 years. And paying Milsap 30 +mil per would be crazy. Spurs have to draft an athletic big this draft since the value is there for that at the end of the 1st round. Hopefully they can develop the player into a quality rotational player like the Rockets did Capela.

Spurs have to go smaller and adapt with the league. With that being said, Spurs don't have to go and get 6 bigs like they used to. Roster balance should go 4 bigs, 8 wings, 3 PGS.

Dverde
05-24-2017, 08:55 AM
Trade Danny Green and Anderson for Rubio. Let Patty go. Play out Rubio/Murray then mix in Parker when he returns. Rubio can set up Pau and LMA with his passing. Re-sign Simmons to replace Danny Green as the starting SG. If Rubio disappoints then they will have cap space when his contract expires.

tbdog
05-24-2017, 10:36 AM
Trade Danny Green and Anderson for Rubio. Let Patty go. Play out Rubio/Murray then mix in Parker when he returns. Rubio can set up Pau and LMA with his passing. Re-sign Simmons to replace Danny Green as the starting SG. If Rubio disappoints then they will have cap space when his contract expires.

Rubio contract expires one year after Parker. Starting Rubio and Simmons would be a very poor shooting backcourt. Our Bigs would shoot better than them. They would be odd. I wouldn’t mind Rubio as a playmaker with a good contract, but he will need Green in the starting lineup. It is possible T’Wolves might be interested in Simmons in a sign a trade, as they will need a starting shooting guard while Lavine recovers, then they could off load Rubio and pick someone else up like Derrick Rose with the cap space. I am unsure what Rose and Thibs relationship is though. Just a thought. Rose, Simmons, and Wiggins would be an athletic combo.

tmtcsc
05-24-2017, 12:02 PM
Damn Parker contract. 16 million. They need to find a way to move him.

Dverde
05-24-2017, 12:18 PM
Only hope is if he retires and they stretch his last year out for some cap space. Spurs won't trade him.

BatManu20
05-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Damn Parker contract. 16 million. They need to find a way to move him.

Never happen. Spurs are too loyal (to a fault, at times). Parker will never not be a Spur. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they re-signed him in again in 2018 to be Murray's backup, tbh (at a much cheaper price, of course, and depending on how he recovers from his injury).

BatManu20
05-24-2017, 12:22 PM

Cloud786
05-24-2017, 12:23 PM

Is he no longer commanding the max?

tbdog
05-24-2017, 12:27 PM
Never happen. Spurs are too loyal (to a fault, at times). Parker will never not be a Spur. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they re-signed him in again in 2018 to be Murray's backup, tbh (at a much cheaper price, of course, and depending on how he recovers from his injury).

Spurs did trade Bowen, although he retired after the trade.

Hoops Czar
05-24-2017, 12:31 PM
I thought Derrick Rose was a locker room Cancer? Doesn't sound like a player the Spurs would go after.

-21-
05-24-2017, 12:52 PM
Highly doubt we land CP3.
Don't really want Lowry who is a proven playoff choker.
No to D-Rose.
Holiday/Teague would be nice but they're probably gonna be overpaid.
Would be okay with Hill coming back on a discounted price.

Other than that, the midrange and minimum options all suck. Trade-wise, I'm on the Ish Smith train. I think he would be adequate as a starter while we wait for Dejounte to get take over. It's clear we can't rely on Patty.

TD 21
05-24-2017, 04:31 PM
Pray this isn't the case. No Mills No.

My preference is to take a stab at Paul and when that inevitably fails (for all the obvious reasons that have been discussed ad nauseam), then turn to Hill, who they should have been working on through the back channels since he was acquired by the Jazz. In terms of significant moves needed, they'd really only need to salary dump Gasol and walk away from Mills, who wouldn't be needed at that point anyway.

Hill would be a perfect bridge starter between Parker and Murray, can play with either on both sides of the ball and eventually transition into a 6th man. Also, unlike Gasol and Mills, he isn't virtually unplayable against the majority of the best teams.

That's also the only scenario I see where Mills isn't retained. Barring that, they can't afford to not take advantage of his Bird rights, burn the MLE on a comparable and be stuck with only the bi-annual exception to add a quality big or wing.

MaNu4Tres
05-24-2017, 04:54 PM
I'd prefer Jrue over Hill but I can see them entertaining all three. I think if they whiff on those three, then they'll turn their attention to 1 year stop gaps instead of paying Mills. At least I hope so.

Giving Mills a 3-4 year deal for anything more than 10 mil would be a waste. in my opinion. I'm not a fan of paying 10+ mil per for a player that disappears against good Ds on offense, especially when you have to hide him on defense. 40 mill minimum for a net negative player when it matters? Pass. Pass. Pass. Pass.

Do not want Mills.

TD 21
05-24-2017, 05:09 PM
Well yeah, I would too. Holiday's like a bigger Hill, with better play making ability; but he also projects to be significantly more expensive and difficult to attain.

I've always thought that Hill loved being a Spur as much as they loved him being one and deep down would want to return at some point. He also either lives here or at least spends some time here in the off season . . . of course, if the Jazz blow away whatever the Spurs could/would theoretically offer if they salary dumped Gasol, then none of that probably matters. But if they get close, I think they'd have a legit shot.

Mills is obviously more likely, but I'd be shocked if one of the two weren't a Spur next season and they paired a fringe rotation type, like Mack, with Murray.

MaNu4Tres
05-24-2017, 05:13 PM
Well yeah, I would too. Holiday's like a bigger Hill, with better play making ability; but he also projects to be significantly more expensive and difficult to attain.

I've always thought that Hill loved being a Spur as much as they loved him being one and deep down would want to return at some point. He also either lives here or at least spends some time here in the off season . . . of course, if the Jazz blow away whatever the Spurs could/would theoretically offer if they salary dumped Gasol, then none of that probably matters. But if they got close, I think they'd have a legit shot.

Mills is obviously more likely, but I'd be shocked if one of the two weren't a Spur next season and they paired a fringe rotation type, like Mack, with Murray.

It would be pretty hilarious though if Hill signed with SA for 10 mil per, especially when Spurs would face the Pacers -- having Kawhi, Bertans and Hill all on the floor winning by 20+.

tmtcsc
05-24-2017, 05:49 PM

No, he's done. Basketball players who rely on quickness and explosiveness don't come back from this sort of injury. I can't think of anyone who ever has. It sent Barkley in to retirement. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/nba/daily/dec99/09/barkley9.htm

Plus, Parker didn't look right the whole season. He had some nice games in the playoffs but those were the exceptions. The regular season told you all you needed to know. Too slow, couldn't get by defenders, couldn't defend anyone either. The Spurs don't need that. At best, he stays until this contract runs out. They traded Malik, told Horry to take a hike, didn't re-sign bonner, traded Brent Barry....they do it. TP is royalty by association only. The team would be insane to re-up him.

objective
05-24-2017, 06:05 PM
They also let Avery sign with another team. And nearly ran Robinson on to the Knicks desperately trying to get Webber to pick up the phone.

And allegedly tried to trade Parker for the pick that became Valenciunas.

TheDoctor
05-24-2017, 06:42 PM
The Patty Mills starter experiment is over.

Agreed :toast

portnoy1
05-25-2017, 03:49 PM
I would sign Calderon, start him and have him split the time with Murray. Calderon would be the distributor the starters need. He is a shooting threat mid range and from deep. And is probably the best pick n roll guy for Aldridge. What the Spurs need is a PG that can do 3 things - distribute/shoot/defend. You get the first two with Calderon and the last with Murray. It would be STRONGLY ADVISED​ to resign Dedmon to protect the rim since Calderon is BAD defensively.

Truth4sale$
05-26-2017, 10:14 PM
One guy completely overlooked, is one who scored 19 pts in a win over the Spurs, late in the season. Tyler Ennis has bounced a round a lot since being drafted 18th overall in a crowded phoenix suns backcourt. Against the spurs, He finished with six assists and only one turnover while shooting 3 for 4 on 3-pointers. He looked poised, is more of a pure point guard, has decent size at 6'3, with a 6'7 wingspan. He has youth on his side at only 22 yrs old, so plenty of upside. He would not break the bank and its good competition for Djounte Murray, and even allow Murray to play off the ball. At the very least a high upside 3 string point guard.

DMC
05-26-2017, 10:34 PM
Are there any decent European PGs who haven't already been in the NBA?

DMC
05-26-2017, 10:40 PM
What about Andrew Goudelock? Is he washed up or salvageable?

BillMc
05-26-2017, 10:47 PM
I will get every position done over time.

These are good threads. Keep it up OP!:toast

TD 21
05-28-2017, 04:10 PM
That's also the only scenario I see where Mills isn't retained. Barring that, they can't afford to not take advantage of his Bird rights, burn the MLE on a comparable and be stuck with only the bi-annual exception to add a quality big or wing.

I'm amending this. I could see Mills being offered a partially guaranteed 4th year, to lower the cap hit and his average annual value, but get his total closer to the best offer he gets. If that doesn't get it done, I think Teodosic or Williams is offered the MLE.

That would only leave the BAE and minimum for a Dedmon replacement and I think they'd go to Lee and Splitter. Or, if Simmons isn't re-signed, they could utilize the BAE on a wing. It's unlikely they'd go that cheap up front though, especially if they sign one of the aforementioned point guards, who can eat some wing minutes.

In addition to that, being able to play with Parker and Murray, on both sides of the ball, is important because Parker more than likely isn't going anywhere for at least a season and a half roughly and Murray obviously figures to be a mainstay. Also important, is being good enough to start in the interim and help maintain their current level, but not being good enough to be above transitioning into 6th man.

wildbill2u
05-29-2017, 02:44 PM
I don't see any "slam dunk" choices because of cap and salary ranges. Pop recently talked about the maturation of our young guys and how he might keep this team together. I can't see it without Parker because Murray doesn't look ready to me.

I wouldn;'t mind getting Hill back if it could be worked out without too much cutting into what is a decent, if not championship, team. Buford and Pop will earn their money this offseason for sure.

LittleCriminal
05-29-2017, 03:54 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/976011/d-rose-dance.gif?_ga=1.262801870.392166330.1431139799

kaji157
05-29-2017, 04:33 PM
Are there any decent European PGs who haven't already been in the NBA?

The most notable would be Sergio Llull, Facundo Campazzo and Milos Teodosic.

The one that seems to provide the skill set we need is Sergio Llull, Campazzo is the one with the most upside and Teodosic is the most featured European guy to come over.

sasaint
05-29-2017, 04:55 PM
One guy completely overlooked, is one who scored 19 pts in a win over the Spurs, late in the season. Tyler Ennis has bounced a round a lot since being drafted 18th overall in a crowded phoenix suns backcourt. Against the spurs, He finished with six assists and only one turnover while shooting 3 for 4 on 3-pointers. He looked poised, is more of a pure point guard, has decent size at 6'3, with a 6'7 wingspan. He has youth on his side at only 22 yrs old, so plenty of upside. He would not break the bank and its good competition for Djounte Murray, and even allow Murray to play off the ball. At the very least a high upside 3 string point guard.

I like this idea much better than making a run at a high-priced PG who is 10 years older than Ennis. He looks exactly like the kind of reclamation project that is the Spurs' bread-and-butter. Plus, he is a Canuck to replace a former Spur that is missed by some posters on ST. I think he is a UFA, too.