PDA

View Full Version : A rebuild everyone will hate

picnroll
05-23-2017, 06:17 AM
... and Spurs would never do.

First, Spurs are going to be first round fodder at best likely for most of Kawhi's prime. So ....

Trade Leonard to Boston for both Brooklyn picks plus their own first this year and Jaylen Brown. Pick Fultz. Tank next year and have two very high lottery picks. With cap space in 2020 go after a big time FA. Move forward.

Now let the insults begin.

Mal
05-23-2017, 06:19 AM
Then get new coach, couple lottery picks of your own, call it the process, and come back in 5 years and see what went wrong

picnroll
05-23-2017, 06:20 AM
6ers will bust out this year providing Embid is healthy.

Mal
05-23-2017, 06:22 AM
6ers will bust out this year providing Embid is healthy.

Bust out what ? 1st round exit ? Spurs are 2nd round exit without the picks, so why bother

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-23-2017, 06:23 AM
Only missed bringing Kawhi back in 2020. :lol

Go Seattle Spurs Go!

MaNu4Tres
05-23-2017, 06:51 AM
Can someone please delete this trash?

baseline bum
05-23-2017, 07:21 AM
Yeah just give away a 26 year old top 2 player so this franchise can become the Timberwolves.

MVPCues
05-23-2017, 07:27 AM
That dude is bold and has a spur?

picnroll
05-23-2017, 07:44 AM
Just throwing if out. Don't think it's a good ideauless unlikely as it is Kawhi sees no path forward and doesn't sign a designated player deal.

Russ
05-23-2017, 07:54 AM
I don't think things are as bleak as that.

The Spurs should be No. 2 in the West for the foreseeable future with Kawhi and the young players they already have,

If lightning strikes once or twice with those younger guys (and some possible additions) they'll be right back where they want to be.

Overreacting is a more likely danger than patience.

picnroll
05-23-2017, 08:02 AM
Duncd On podcast today has a fairly realistic take on the Spurs options for 2017-18. One scenario is to hold onto cap space until 2018. Look at the players that will be available that year. Not very pretty.

Leetonidas
05-23-2017, 08:04 AM
Yes let's trade the second best player in the league who isn't even in his prime yet for a the potential to draft a 20 year old who may never even be as good. Makes perfect sense

Poolboy5623
05-23-2017, 08:07 AM
Weren't the Spurs suppose to be "first round fodder" this last season?

John B
05-23-2017, 08:13 AM
25 pts before Kawhi got hurt? MVP Kawhi and much improved Murray, Simmons and Co. Maybe another reliable scorer from FA. Spurs will be back.

Atl Spur
05-23-2017, 08:23 AM
The spurs will be fine once they go ahead and trade LMA. Unlike most here, I believe Forbes will play better next year and become a sniper we so desperately need.....Pop already recognize this I'm thinking

elbamba
05-23-2017, 08:30 AM
The only way KL is ever traded is if he asks to be. He is not some gimmick player like Harden. He is a legit top 3 player and will likely be the best player in the league next year or in 2019.

elbamba
05-23-2017, 08:33 AM
I like this team minue Aldridge and Gasol at their hefty contracts. We need to get rid of one of them and try to find some shooters. Lack of shooters and speed hurt us at times this year. That said, we were a KL ankle from competing with one of the best record teams in NBA history.

Dex
05-23-2017, 08:37 AM
Well if this isn't a knee-jerk reaction over a season derailed by injury, I don't know what is.

Spurs looked primed to challenge for the Finals until Parker and Leonard went down.

cjw
05-23-2017, 08:56 AM
I think Lebron would sign with a team out West if this happened.

On paper, this could actually work but could as easily backfire and leave you with a borderline playoff team. They'd have a boatload of cap space to reload in a year around two top picks. But the Brooklyn pick next year isn't guaranteed to be stellar. Also, aren't there rules against trading two straight first rounders or is that only up until draft time?

But you NEVER trade superstars unless they ask to be traded. Too risky to replace them. Leonard isn't an just All Star, he's a top five talent for the next few years and should be top ten for the next several. Also, Fultz plays the most loaded position in the league while Leonard plays the most valuable.

TheGreatYacht
05-23-2017, 09:07 AM
If the Spurs rebuild, then this team is moving to Kansas City or Vegas in 2-3 years....

Fans barely show up when they win 60 games. Now imagine a lottery team without #20, the Mexican idol.

picnroll
05-23-2017, 09:23 AM
Just for further arguments sake in a long off season.
2017 Fultz (I'll bet anyone this kid is going to be a top PG by 3-4 yrs in the league)
2018 DeAndre Ayton (a 10 out of 10 David Robinson size, athleticism, speed player with court awareness)
2018 Additional lottery pick for a PF or SF.
Add a seasoned Murray.
By year 5 Spurs are good for the next 10 year run.

Spurs aren't going anywhere in the next 3 - 4 years. That's just acstrawman's argument

Mal
05-23-2017, 09:23 AM
If the Spurs rebuild, then this team is moving to Kansas City or Vegas in 2-3 years....

Fans barely show up when they win 60 games. Now imagine a lottery team without #20, the Mexican idol.

http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance

99.2 % is bad ? Werent San Antonio trying to get NFL team ?

Mal
05-23-2017, 09:25 AM
Just for further arguments sake in a long off season.
2017 Fultz (I'll bet anyone this kid is going to be a top PG by 3-4 yrs in the league)
2018 DeAndre Ayton (a 10 out of 10 David Robinson size, athleticism, speed player with court awareness)
2018 Additional lottery pick for a PF or SF.
Add a seasoned Murray.
By year 5 Spurs are good for the next 10 year run.

Spurs aren't going anywhere in the next 3 - 4 years. That's just acstrawman's argument

Popovich would not be coaching this team.

DaBears
05-23-2017, 09:26 AM
The spurs will be fine once they go ahead and trade LMA. Unlike most here, I believe Forbes will play better next year and become a sniper we so desperately need.....Pop already recognize this I'm thinking

He probably is Mills replacement, and needs just some time to adjust to NBA he is a rookie.

daledondale
05-23-2017, 09:27 AM
Stop reading at "Trade Leonard".
http://i.imgur.com/EKxFB5A.gif

DaBears
05-23-2017, 09:29 AM
I am really curious to see what offseason moves don't happen with the SPURS.. With serious salary cap restrictions on them, not sure who they really can get maybe bring over a player or 2 from overseas.

Next yr we could see a lineup that looks like this..

LMA
KL
DG
TP/DM
PG

JFK
05-23-2017, 09:29 AM
Just relocate the team to Seattle and let them be the Supersonics again. Not a good rebuild idea. However, I hope the Spurs don't do something incredibly stupid this offseason by doubling down and overpaying some trash players.

PopTheGOAT
05-23-2017, 09:31 AM
We're a players away from being a championship team. You don't rebuild that. Money is about to free up too

JFK
05-23-2017, 09:33 AM
We're a players away from being a championship team. You don't rebuild that. Money is about to free up too

Yes! Figure out a way to cut out some dead weight. Find a steal somewhere. They're close.

Play Boban
05-23-2017, 09:36 AM
I don't think blowing up a team which just made it to the Western Conference Finals is a good idea tbh.

sasaint
05-23-2017, 09:58 AM
I don't think things are as bleak as that.

The Spurs should be No. 2 in the West for the foreseeable future with Kawhi and the young players they already have,

If lightning strikes once or twice with those younger guys (and some possible additions) they'll be right back where they want to be.

Overreacting is a more likely danger than patience.

You're right - things are not as bleak as that. But I am not sure they are as rosy as you think. It is true that Pop had the Spurs poised on the brink before disaster (aka Zaza) struck. This was despite the fact that by advanced metrics and the eyeball test both condemned LMA and Gasol. It is hard to imagine, though, that that we could get as far again with that front court.

My eye test tells me that, without a bold move or two, the Spurs will fall back to the pack in the West.

rasuo214
05-23-2017, 09:59 AM
If the Spurs were willing to do that, Ainge would be on the phone the second the Celtics got eliminated. Ainge would probably still try to screw the Spurs out of the 2nd Brooklyn 1st but yea.

Joseph Kony
05-23-2017, 10:34 AM
y'all are dumb as fuck if you think drafting some players guarantees anything...look at the Wolves/Sixers who have been shit for years. getting top picks doesn't necessarily mean anything especially if you're trading an established MVP/DPOY perennial candidate

jhfenton
05-23-2017, 11:55 AM
Well if this isn't a knee-jerk reaction over a season derailed by injury, I don't know what is.

Spurs looked primed to challenge for the Finals until Parker and Leonard went down.

+1

I knew I would find some stupid threads on here today, and the OP did not disappoint.

DieHardSpursFan1537
05-23-2017, 12:01 PM
Getting rid of Kawhi Leonard? Fuck off you senile faggot and never post on here again

benefactor
05-23-2017, 12:03 PM
Yeah just give away a 26 year old top 2 player so this franchise can become the Timberwolves.

Horse
05-23-2017, 12:15 PM
... and Spurs would never do.

First, Spurs are going to be first round fodder at best likely for most of Kawhi's prime. So ....

Trade Leonard to Boston for both Brooklyn picks plus their own first this year and Jaylen Brown. Pick Fultz. Tank next year and have two very high lottery picks. With cap space in 2020 go after a big time FA. Move forward.

Now let the insults begin.

Stupidest fucking thing ive seen maybe ever.

TXstbobcat
05-23-2017, 12:20 PM
So OP wants to trade a top 2 player in the league who is reaching his prime to gamble on Lottery picks????

No thanks. :lmao

TheDoctor
05-23-2017, 01:33 PM

:lmao

r0drig0lac
05-23-2017, 02:18 PM
wtf

picnroll
07-01-2017, 09:20 AM
Not a popular idea. Well now that the Spurs have pretty much shit the off season bed, have to pray Murray developed a shot and are counting on landing that big FA in 2018 that the Spurs never lan. How does the likelihood of keeping Kawhi in 2019 look?

In retrospect maybe trading for Boston's Brooklyn 2017 and 2018 first round picks wouldn't have been such a bad idea. Fultz and a couple of high lottery picks Brooklyn's and a tanked Spurs' in a high quality 2018 draft. Guess people would rather have Kawhi and a crap team hoping for a playoff first round loss and a going away party for Leonard.

Big Empty
07-01-2017, 09:38 AM
It is a scary real possibility Kawhi walks in two years. Especially if noone wants to come here. Spurs are still a playoff team but its still a wait & see deal with the new loaded Timberwolves/Thunder/Rockets roster moves. We still have the same peices that won 60 games. We'll still beat OKC. The other 2 teams are scary now. Still need to see what comes with possible LaMarcus and Danny Green trades

sasaint
07-01-2017, 09:55 AM
It is a scary real possibility Kawhi walks in two years. Especially if noone wants to come here. Spurs are still a playoff team but its still a wait & see deal with the new loaded Timberwolves/Thunder/Rockets roster moves. We still have the same peices that won 60 games. We'll still beat OKC. The other 2 teams are scary now. Still need to see what comes with possible LaMarcus and Danny Green trades

+1

daslicer
07-01-2017, 09:56 AM
Not a popular idea. Well now that the Spurs have pretty much shit the off season bed, have to pray Murray developed a shot and are counting on landing that big FA in 2018 that the Spurs never lan. How does the likelihood of keeping Kawhi in 2019 look?

In retrospect maybe trading for Boston's Brooklyn 2017 and 2018 first round picks wouldn't have been such a bad idea. Fultz and a couple of high lottery picks Brooklyn's and a tanked Spurs' in a high quality 2018 draft. Guess people would rather have Kawhi and a crap team hoping for a playoff first round loss and a going away party for Leonard.

I think there is a 95 percent chance he will stay. Star players that have left their teams tend to be attention whores who seek the spotlight ala Lebron,Durant, George. Kawhi is a highly introverted person and those types of people are not into going out and partying. I think that also factors in why I don't see him going to a big market like LA granted he did grow up there but I don't think it has the same type of allure for him that it has for PG due to his personality. I think now he's gotten use to being the number 1 guy that I can't see him going to another team and taking a lesser role which could be the case if he decides to leave. You have to factor in that Kawhi is not a vocal guy and that guys on a new team can challenge his status as the go to guy where in the spurs locker room due to POP's presence and Kawhi's history with the franchise it makes it impossible to challenge his status. Keep in mind when Lebron went back to Cleveland there was friction between Kyrie and him at the beginning on whose team it was. I doubt Kawhi would be able to handle that type of situation well and I feel Kawhi probably knows that which is another reason why I don't see him leaving. Introverts love stable environments and despise being in unstable environments. Like I have said before Kawhi is an introvert and I don't see him leaving unless the spurs become super unstable such as Pop leaving and replacing him with an inexperienced young coach or having a roster filled with a bunch of young talent less immature guys that have no character.

They are two other things the Spurs have going for them on why I think Kawhi will stay. The first thing they have is that Kawhi has already won a championship with them. Stars that have usually left their teams left because they had never won a title before and didn't want to possibly go their entire career without a ring. There is a strong possibility the spurs will be able to offer Kawhi the Super Max. Unless Kawhi get's injured it's safe to say he will make the All-NBA team and thus qualifying the Spurs to offer him the super max. I'm convince the Super Max is very powerful in getting players to stay with their teams. Just look at how Demarcus Cousins and his agent begged the Kings not to trade him simply because they didn't want to lose the Super Max. Demarcus hated playing for the Kings but wasn't willing to leave due to the money.

cd98
07-01-2017, 10:01 AM
TBH bc the Spurs didn't bottom out, they won't have low lottery picks to build a team around Kawhi. So they need to have cap space and create assets. They will have cap space next year, most likely. But they need to develop the young players they have and either turn them into a legit supporting class or get them good enough to be assets to trade for a big time complement to Kawhi.

And the premise of the thread is pure idiocy. You don't trade a coming into his prime Kawhi unless he demands it.

GSH
07-01-2017, 10:10 AM
I'm not in favor of losing one of the few true top-tier players in the league. There aren't enough to go around, and if you have one you do everything possible to keep him.

The Chris Paul decision is a big concern, though. Pop is supposed to be the best coach in the league, and the Spurs are supposed to be one of the best organizations. Paul is supposed to have great respect for Pop. The Spurs would have had two All Defensive first teamers, plus an All Defensive second teamer. And all that wasn't enough?

For one thing, it says that no only is the league favoring offense over defense, so are the players. A lot of these guys only make a portion of their income from their team salary. Exciting sells, and there sure as shit isn't anything exciting going on in SA right now. Defense isn't exciting - except to Spurs fans. When even a guy on the All Defensive first team doesn't want to go to a defensive-minded team, it pretty much tells you that the Spurs don't have any other way to build except what they're doing.

picnroll
07-01-2017, 10:14 AM
And the premise of the thread is pure idiocy. You don't trade a coming into his prime Kawhi unless he demands it.
Premise of the thread is that take away Kawhi and the Spurs have one of the shittiest rosters in the NBA and based on past history, solely living off the talents of Duncan, Ginobili and Parker, no clear likely path to improving it. Maybe you're all in on 12 to 20 position draft picks and hoping to make the playoffs. I think I'll pass on that and look for a creative way to be a contender again.

DPG21920
07-01-2017, 10:16 AM
Premise of the thread is that take away Kawhi and the Spurs have one of the shittiest rosters in the NBA and based on past history, solely living off the talents of Duncan, Ginobili and Parker, no clear likely path to improving it. Maybe you're all in on 12 to 20 position draft picks and hoping to make the playoffs. I think I'll pass on that and look for a creative way to be a contender again.

Trading Kawhi in no scenario gets you closer to a contender again vs having Kawhi. None.

picnroll
07-01-2017, 10:24 AM
Trading Kawhi in no scenario gets you closer to a contender again vs having Kawhi. None.

Fultz, Murray, White, and two of 2018 Porter, Doncic, Ayton, plus a ton of cap space. I could live with that.

Pavlov
07-01-2017, 10:27 AM
Otherwise die.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-01-2017, 03:51 PM
Just relocate the team to Seattle and let them be the Supersonics again. Not a good rebuild idea. However, I hope the Spurs don't do something incredibly stupid this offseason by doubling down and overpaying some trash players.

I agree. Seattle has some of the best sports fans in the world, they deserve a team again.

picnroll
02-02-2018, 06:05 PM
Bump.

Dex
02-02-2018, 06:15 PM
Was a bad idea then, and is still a bad idea now. :lol

Fultz has played in less games than Kawhi this season, and still can't shoot a fucking free throw.

DPG21920
02-02-2018, 06:18 PM
Ya - weird bump. SA is still better than Philly record wise even with Philly busting out and Fultz busting and that is without Kawhi who’s coming back :lol

picnroll
02-02-2018, 07:09 PM
Using Kawhi for a rebuild is proving more savant than those saying it was a stupid idea, Spurs are almost there, just need one player. Maybe Fultz wasn’t the right pick but I don’t recall anybody predicting him a bust back at draft time. I’d trade Kawhi for first overall pick in 2018 and a solid young player in a heartbeat. Spurs need a deep rebuild. Or other high pick

dabom
02-02-2018, 09:17 PM
Weirdest self backfire if I've ever seen one. Faggot. :lmao :lmao

picnroll
06-28-2018, 06:54 AM
Bump

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-28-2018, 07:57 AM
:smchode: