PDA

View Full Version : Karl has been in giving mood

ducks
10-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Karl has been in giving mood
Donation of an Ohio club he co-owns part of helping evacuees

By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
October 13, 2005

Hurricane Katrina hit, and George Karl's mind drifted back to the 1960s.

Back to when the United States was in turmoil. Back to 1963, when President Kennedy was assassinated. Back to 1968, when the president's brother Robert was assassinated while running for president.

"Those three or four days, I don't know if I've been as sad in my life watching a situation in America," Karl said Wednesday of seeing the devastation Hurricane Katrina wrought after it hit the Gulf Coast in late August. "To me, it was on the level of watching some of the assassinations of the Kennedys in the '60s. . . . It was so painful to watch our country react so poorly as we did."

But Karl, the Denver Nuggets coach whose team begins the preseason at home tonight against the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets, was said to have reacted swiftly. He helped turn the fitness club he co-owns in Columbus, Ohio, into a haven for Katrina evacuees.

"George and I were talking on the phone and he wanted to see if we could do something," said Price Johnson, general manager of The Hoop Basketball and Fitness Center, who is looking to buy the facility from an ownership group that includes Karl, Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke and two others. "We ended up opening the door for 300 (evacuees). For 24 days, we turned one of our courts into a minimall."

With Karl providing many instructions, Johnson said 500 volunteers were rounded up to help the evacuees. Johnson said Karl and businesses helped provide essential items.

Johnson estimated Karl spent about $30,000 of his own money. Included was the $20,000 Johnson pays each month to rent the facility, something Karl agreed to pick up because the regular income for the club was lost.

Asked Wednesday what he has done for hurricane relief, Karl said he did not want to talk about it. But others are willing, with Johnson saying Karl made it "a top priority."

With the hurricane-displaced Hornets playing at the Pepsi Center tonight (7, no television), others also are making it a high priority. After the game, players from both teams will meet with about 200 evacuees who are being provided free tickets and concessions by the Nuggets.

At halftime, those in attendance will have an opportunity to contribute to hurricane relief. Peggy Van- deweghe, who is from Louisiana and is the wife of Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe, is working with the charity Rock Works to help collect donations.

"If you can spare something, that would be great," Kiki Vandeweghe said.

Through it all, the Hornets are trying to put together a basketball season. After the hurricane hit and New Orleans became a virtual ghost town, the Hornets spent three weeks searching for a home.

Finally, it was announced Sept. 21 they would play 35 regular-season games in Oklahoma City and six in Baton Rouge, La. The team began training camp Oct. 4 in Oklahoma City.

"It's been tough, especially the first few days," Hornets coach Byron Scott said. "A lot of the players' minds were elsewhere. . . . Our hearts and minds are in New Orleans, but we've got a good situation in Oklahoma City. We've been blessed to be able to continue to play basketball, and we play for New Orleans."

Scott said the player most affected has been forward P.J. Brown, who grew up in Louisiana.

"It's tough, particularly for myself, because I have family members that lost pretty much everything," Brown said. "Friends that I've known for years who've lost everything; it's been painful."

Scott said he and Hornets players who have homes in the New Orleans area were fortunate they did not encounter significant damage. Chris Andersen, who played for the Nuggets from 2001-02 to 2003-04, said his house suffered some wind damage but flooding was minimal.

"To know the city that you live in and play for has destruction like that and you're not able to play in that city . . . is pretty devastating," said Andersen, who is not expected to play tonight because of a bruised left knee.

Scott said it's too early to determine whether the Hornets will be at a competitive disadvantage this season. Karl believes they might.

"There's a good chance when the Lakers come in, it will be a Laker crowd," Karl said. "When the Knicks come in, it probably will be a Knick crowd. . . . A lot of games, the fans are going to be equal. . . . I think it's a very difficult assignment."

When it comes to the city of New Orleans, Karl is happy to help provide relief. But when it comes to the team from New Orleans, Karl and other NBA coaches don't figure to provide much charity on the court.

[email protected] or 303-892-5125

Copyright 2005, Rocky Mountain News. All Rights Reserved