PDA

View Full Version : Bertans as the starting 4?

duncan2k5
05-23-2017, 03:58 PM
I think this will be great, I think Bertans is severely underrated... trade Aldridge for a wing similar in skill set to kawhi (or to make space for Paul George)...

Bertans is actually decent on defense for a rookie, and he will definitely space the floor on offense and open the lane up for kawhi and Murray...He can also put the ball on the floor

cd021
05-23-2017, 04:07 PM
Start Anderson and move LMA to the 5.

Bertans as the backup PF tbh

SpursforSix
05-23-2017, 04:08 PM
I think this will be great, I think Bertans is severely underrated... trade Aldridge for a wing similar in skill set to kawhi (or to make space for Paul George)...

Bertans is actually decent on defense for a rookie, and he will definitely space the floor on offense and open the lane up for kawhi and Murray...He can also put the ball on the floor

what the fuck.

ducks
05-23-2017, 04:09 PM
lma refuses to play at the 5

spurraider21
05-23-2017, 04:11 PM
lma refuses to play at the 5bullshit, expired talking point.

15-16 - aldridge played center 46% of the time during the season and 44% of the time in the playoffs
16-17 - aldridge played center 31% of the time during the regular season and 50% of the time in the playoffs

all info from: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/aldrila01.html

RD2191
05-23-2017, 04:12 PM
bullshit, expired talking point.

15-16 - aldridge played center 46% of the time during the season and 44% of the time in the playoffs

16-17 - aldridge played center 31% of the time during the regular season and 50% of the time in the playoffs

And he fucking sulked the entire way, Fuck that clown.

spurraider21
05-23-2017, 04:13 PM
And he fucking sulked the entire way, Fuck that clown.yeah, not saying he filled it admirably :lol... but the "he's not willing to" talk is just wrong

duncan2k5
05-23-2017, 04:22 PM
what the fuck.

Meaning someone that can shoot, drive, play defense...Paul George is similar in skill set...Skill set is different from ability

duncan2k5
05-23-2017, 04:23 PM
Nah, LA needs to go

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-23-2017, 05:42 PM

And he pouted all along. And what did Pop say last night after game 4?

He said "big men in the league don't want to play on the block anymore, they want to shoot jumpers." And it wasn't a compliment.

SpursforSix
05-23-2017, 05:44 PM
Meaning someone that can shoot, drive, play defense...Paul George is similar in skill set...Skill set is different from ability

LOL. Ok. I'm not sure I buy that though. I mean...by your definition, I've got a similar skill set to Leonard. I don't do any of them nearly as well. But I have that skill set.
In fact, I have an expanded skill set. Sometimes, I've played the 5.

r0drig0lac
05-23-2017, 06:42 PM
maybe in 2k (but I would like to see)

raybies
05-23-2017, 07:00 PM
might as well get the kid a pair of skates...

TheDoctor
05-23-2017, 07:05 PM
1) Bertans will never be a full-time starter with the Spurs.
2) Bertans will never be an All-Star.

Thank you.

LittleCriminal
05-23-2017, 07:10 PM
Gasol
Aldridge
Bertans
Green
Leonard

Works for me.

JuneJive
05-23-2017, 07:18 PM
I really don't understand LMA's unwillingness to play the 5 in today's NBA. His main complaint, as I recall, was that it's too physical. But nowadays there's really no post playing brutes. Boogie's an exception.

TheDoctor
05-23-2017, 07:19 PM
I really don't understand LMA's unwillingness to play the 5 in today's NBA. His main complaint, as I recall, was that it's too physical. But nowadays there's really no post playing brutes. Boogie's an exception.

Boogie's a savage.

MaNu4Tres
05-23-2017, 07:25 PM
Start him or Anderson at the 4.

It's time to make the move that they should have made a year ago, going more versatile with 3 wings (2 w/size + good rebounding) and 1 C, instead of signing Gasol. Harkless would have been a nice fit tbh..

JuneJive
05-23-2017, 07:30 PM
But, Pop's zag vs zig brought the Spurs to the WCF and, minus the Zaza incident, they were in a very good position.

Why abandon it? What more can you realistically do? How can you best this yr's performance?

duncan2k5
05-23-2017, 07:41 PM
1) Bertans will never be a full-time starter with the Spurs.
2) Bertans will never be an All-Star.

Thank you.

so a player should only be a starter if they are an all star? lol....interesting logic

duncan2k5
05-23-2017, 07:43 PM
Gasol
Aldridge
Bertans
Green
Leonard

Works for me.

i dont want green starting...at ALL...dude cant dribble or pass...when he gets run off the line, it turns disastrous FAST...plus his defense has fallen off considerably...he needs to be replaced...either he comes off the bench, or plays elsewhere

duncan2k5
05-23-2017, 07:44 PM
Start him or Anderson at the 4.

It's time to make the move that they should have made a year ago, going more versatile with 3 wings (2 w/size + good rebounding) and 1 C, instead of signing Gasol. Harkless would have been a nice fit tbh..

Anderson??? HELL NO!!! he does NOTHING better than Bertans...he is undersized, slow, turns the ball over just from dribbling, cant shoot, isn't aggressive...he needs to be nowhere NEAR this team next year

duncan2k5
05-23-2017, 07:45 PM
But, Pop's zag vs zig brought the Spurs to the WCF and, minus the Zaza incident, they were in a very good position.

Why abandon it? What more can you realistically do? How can you best this yr's performance?

get better players

FkLA
05-23-2017, 07:45 PM
Why not just get LeBron instead of PG? Or at the very least get Durbeta.

cd021
05-23-2017, 08:13 PM
LMA still holds value as a 5, he is an above average rim protector, can defend the post and switch out on to the perimeter, albeit with varied results. I would hope that he takes a step forward and start taking more 3's next season to further stretch the floor.

I always thought that the "I don't want to play the 5" was more to do with him not wanting to bang in the post. I still think Pop could talk him into starting at the 5 and closing at the 5.

PG-Murray-Mills-Parker
SG- Green-Simmons
SF- Leonard- Hanga
PF-Anderson-Bertans
C-Aldridge-FA-Milutinov-1st round pick

tholdren
05-23-2017, 08:31 PM

Have no problem with this, and it would piss off lma.

raybies
05-23-2017, 08:38 PM
LMA still holds value as a 5, he is an above average rim protector, can defend the post and switch out on to the perimeter, albeit with varied results. I would hope that he takes a step forward and start taking more 3's next season to further stretch the floor.

I always thought that the "I don't want to play the 5" was more to do with him not wanting to bang in the post. I still think Pop could talk him into starting at the 5 and closing at the 5.

PG-Murray-Mills-Parker
SG- Green-Simmons
SF- Leonard- Hanga
PF-Anderson-Bertans

Love that lineup tbh If all it takes is dumping Pau to resign Mills and Simmons, I'm all for it. That lineup has a great mix, of experience and youth. Let them play it again with more experience. Btw Jeff Withey could be had for the min.

TheDoctor
05-23-2017, 09:40 PM
so a player should only be a starter if they are an all star? lol....interesting logic

One point has nothing to do with the other. WTF?

Exhibit #1: Manu Ginobili.

Some are saying he should start while other are saying he gonna be an All-Star some day.

Got it? Thank you.

SAGirl
05-23-2017, 10:32 PM

PG-Murray-Mills-Parker
SG- Green-Simmons
SF- Leonard- Hanga
PF-Anderson-Bertans
I love that group. As rabies said not only interesting mix of youth and experience but players in a position and their sub are different and provide different things and both lineups have shooting. Love them.

bklynspursfan
05-23-2017, 10:32 PM
With Greens shooting slump, out of Bertans/Anderson I think Bertans would easily fit with the starting unit more. Gotta give Kawhi room to operate. Especially with presumingly Murray starting who isn't a great shooter, Bertans seems like the obvious answer.

EIC
05-23-2017, 10:45 PM

PG-Murray-Mills-Parker
SG- Green-Simmons
SF- Leonard- Hanga
PF-Anderson-Bertans

It's hard for me to see that lineup doing better than 55 wins, tbh. Murray is not quite there, Green on the decline, Anderson slow, Aldridge soft. That's a lot for Kawhi to overcome.

I'd like to see an elite PG in the SL and then slide Murray to the second unit. A full season of consistent touches with the second unit would be good for him.

vander
05-23-2017, 11:24 PM
I'm on the Anderson/Bertans PF bandwagon too. Need to see what they can do next year before the big-spending summer of 2018.

Down Under
05-23-2017, 11:31 PM
I am definitely in favour of this. He's Bonner on steroids. Got a very quick release, doesn't need his feet set to shoot & has shown decent defensive presence around the rim. If Ginobili retires & Simmons walks, Slowmo is going to have to take the second unit, he needs to improve his jumper though, it seems to be one of the reasons he's so tentative to shoot. He should strictly be used as a PF though, need some sort of athleticism off the bench with him, Patty & Pau :lol

GSH
05-24-2017, 12:54 AM

He refuses to play at the 4. The 5 isn't even up for discussion.

DAF86
05-24-2017, 01:23 AM
Murray, Green, Kawhi, Bertans, Dedmon.

Tbh.

Since PATFO is too chicken shit to move Aldridge I guees LA instead of Dedmon would be ok too.

r0drig0lac
05-24-2017, 06:59 AM

daledondale
05-24-2017, 07:19 AM
Murray, Green, Kawhi, Bertans, Dedmon.

Tbh.

Since PATFO is too chicken shit to move Aldridge I guees LA instead of Dedmon would be ok too.Yes, it's gonna be LA instead Dedmon because it looks like Dedmon gonna leave the team. If Murray starts and Manu continues, will be interesting look Tony and Manu coming of the bench.

DMC
05-24-2017, 07:29 AM
This is a stupid thread. There's no way Davis can be a starter when he doesn't even know how to play in the NBA yet.

bluebellmaniac
05-24-2017, 07:32 AM
It's hard for me to see that lineup doing better than 55 wins, tbh. Murray is not quite there, Green on the decline, Anderson slow, Aldridge soft. That's a lot for Kawhi to overcome.

I'd like to see an elite PG in the SL and then slide Murray to the second unit. A full season of consistent touches with the second unit would be good for him.

Why would an elite PG be found in the SL???

cd021
05-24-2017, 08:48 AM
With Greens shooting slump, out of Bertans/Anderson I think Bertans would easily fit with the starting unit more. Gotta give Kawhi room to operate. Especially with presumingly Murray starting who isn't a great shooter, Bertans seems like the obvious answer.

Anderson's passing ability, rebounding and defense probably fit better than Bertans as the stating 4. imagine the collective length that SL unit would have (Murray, Green, KL, KA, LMA) they would be more versatile defensively and have the potential to force turnovers.

Bertans shooting is still valuable but I would prefer he be the backup 4, especially if Hanga comes over and ends up being the backup 3 and Simmons is retained and is the backup 3. The backup wings both aren't good shooters si Mills and Bertans would help offset that issue

sasaint
05-24-2017, 08:53 AM

You are like Charlie Chaplin. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

duncan2k5
05-24-2017, 09:21 AM

Exactly... I dont see what ppl see in Kyle...Dude is trash

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-24-2017, 10:17 AM
Anderson's passing ability, rebounding and defense probably fit better than Bertans as the stating 4. imagine the collective length that SL unit would have (Murray, Green, KL, KA, LMA) they would be more versatile defensively and have the potential to force turnovers.

Bertans shooting is still valuable but I would prefer he be the backup 4, especially if Hanga comes over and ends up being the backup 3 and Simmons is retained and is the backup 3. The backup wings both aren't good shooters si Mills and Bertans would help offset that issue

That would be terrible. Teams would use all five guys to defend Kawhi.

MultiTroll
05-24-2017, 10:24 AM

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268703&p=9024700#post9024700

What could have been. :depressed

bklynspursfan
05-24-2017, 11:49 AM

But offensively, out starters will continue to struggle from 3 (Unless KA's 3 point shot takes a huge leap this summer, but I know that's not likely) and it makes KA a guy they can cheat off to throw doubles at Kawhi. How many games this post-season did we shoot terribly from 3? Who exactly would Anderson's passing benefit? There aren't really slashers in there that he could find, LMA just camps on the outside, Green at the 3 usually, and Murray, idk. I feel like his passing would benefit more guys like Simmons (assuming he's here), maybe Pau, etc.. Those guys that you mentioned not being shooters probably benefits Anderson and his ability to find guys cutting to the basket and what not.

I'd rather have our starters be versatile enough to score from 3 and have guys who could get in the paint like Kawhi and hopefully Murray.

SAGirl
05-24-2017, 12:06 PM
I have come around on this.

I don't expect Pop to play much small ball. it's not his favorite style. But maybe he plays it 30-40% of the time, vs this past RS when he played it almost never. He doesn't consider Davis a small ball big. For Pop Davis is a legit stretch 4. We can say terms don't matter but they do matter for Pop's schemes, for sets etc. There's a lot where it matters.

I look forward to watching both Anderson and Bertans more but I think I have come back down to Earth. Pop is still going to play 2 bigs the majority of the time, but since he considers Davis as a big man hopefully he will play a lot more in his second season. We shall see with Anderson. I am skeptical of Pop when it comes to him.

SAGirl
05-24-2017, 12:09 PM
This is a stupid thread. There's no way Davis can be a starter when he doesn't even know how to play in the NBA yet.
Some guys just project what they want in an ideal world, not the way it is.
I have been guilty of daydreaming too. Then coming back crashing down to earth. Lol
Also, OP tends to daydream more than most.

DAF86
05-24-2017, 12:40 PM
With the moves the Spurs are probably going to make (not change a damn thing):

Murray - Tony
Green - Manu/Hanga
Kawhi - Simmons
Bertans - Anderson
Aldridge - Gasol

That's what makes the most sense, tbh.

SAGirl
05-24-2017, 12:53 PM

Murray - Tony
Green - Manu/Hanga
Kawhi - Simmons
Bertans - Anderson
Aldridge - Gasol

It's realistic.
The real question mark for me is LMA. We shall see. I still expect Pop to find some Center to start next to him. Maybe I don't give Pop enough credit. Maybe I am jaded but LMA is still going to be a 4 and they will put Davis in the dunker spot which completely erases his best skill.

It all comes down to Lamarsha. If that is the plan^ better to find a legit center imo.

snickles
05-24-2017, 03:26 PM

well then put him at the 4 and surround him with guards.....

duncan2k5
05-24-2017, 03:43 PM
Where is this passing ability from Anderson ppl speak of? I think because they knew he was a pg, it warped their brain into thinking he is a good passer...Nothing these past couple years has shown he he is any more capable of high level passing than any other player on the team not named manu

duncan2k5
05-24-2017, 03:43 PM
Just because he is slow and fat like Dias doesn't mean he has the same ability

SAGirl
05-24-2017, 03:45 PM
Where is this passing ability from Anderson ppl speak of? I think because they knew he was a pg, it warped their brain into thinking he is a good passer...Nothing these past couple years has shown he he is any more capable of high level passing than any other player on the team not named manu
Blah ah blah
Seriously. Just look at his assist ratio etc. Ast/TO ratio, look at his rebounding, you can look at his stats and confirm that you are just a hate troll.:rolleyes

cjw
05-26-2017, 12:31 AM
Blah ah blah
Seriously. Just look at his assist ratio etc. Ast/TO ratio, look at his rebounding, you can look at his stats and confirm that you are just a hate troll.:rolleyes

I'm not a huge Anderson fan by any means, but I want some of whatever these people are smoking who think Bertans is exponentially more playable than Kyle.

SAGirl
05-26-2017, 01:49 AM
I'm not a huge Anderson fan by any means, but I want some of whatever these people are smoking who think Bertans is exponentially more playable than Kyle.
I have given up on debating about Kyle bc the hate is really subjective and not going to go away, but Kyle started 14 games some in Kawhi's stead, and a bunch if other games last year. Sure he has to improve aggression etc, but he has played so many roles and very little of the ones he does best. Can't ask someone to be consistent with no defined role who is playing off the ball. He's still developing, just 23 years old. I have no doubts in another team he would get at least bench rotation minutes. He's a solid player:Pop's words.

I have no desire to debate Davis either. He's got a lot less experience in Pop's system and is simply a terrific shooter who will hopefully break out next season.

I like him too and I want to see him play well, but yeah to assume he's going to be a starter when he was mostly benched against GSW is a long shot. Not going to read too much into it, but it's a huge leap to assume he's starting too.

What I think will happen Is that Pop finds a rim rolling C to start with LAMARCUS, but unlike last season, next season he may be more willing to play perimeter lineups more if he's opened his horizons and his mind more and it seemed by his end f season comments that he indeed intends to b more flexible. We shall see.

SnakeBoy
05-26-2017, 02:04 AM
(Unless KA's 3 point shot takes a huge leap this summer, but I know that's not likely)

He's improved his 3 point percentage by 5% every season. If he makes the same progress this summer he'll be at 42% next year.

SnakeBoy
05-26-2017, 02:06 AM
Kyle's biggest problem offensively is just being too passive but I think that has a lot to do with Pop.

szkorhetz
05-26-2017, 03:57 AM

What the difference betwwen a Center and a PF in the Spurs offense? Nothing I can see, TBH.. Even more, as Pau played more as a perimeter, stretch 5 guy.

bklynspursfan
05-26-2017, 10:16 AM
He's improved his 3 point percentage by 5% every season. If he makes the same progress this summer he'll be at 42% next year.

With him it's not as much as the % (though important) as it is actually attempting them. His attempts have been virtually the same the last 2 seasons.

He just has to be comfortable catching and shooting at times, and not thinking 2x imo. I know he can do other things, but this team needs shooters

cd021
05-27-2017, 02:45 PM
But offensively, out starters will continue to struggle from 3 (Unless KA's 3 point shot takes a huge leap this summer, but I know that's not likely) and it makes KA a guy they can cheat off to throw doubles at Kawhi. How many games this post-season did we shoot terribly from 3? Who exactly would Anderson's passing benefit? There aren't really slashers in there that he could find, LMA just camps on the outside, Green at the 3 usually, and Murray, idk. I feel like his passing would benefit more guys like Simmons (assuming he's here), maybe Pau, etc.. Those guys that you mentioned not being shooters probably benefits Anderson and his ability to find guys cutting to the basket and what not.

I'd rather have our starters be versatile enough to score from 3 and have guys who could get in the paint like Kawhi and hopefully Murray.

You brought up a valid point about floor spacing with the Murray, Green, Leonard, Anderson, LMA SL.
Murray is a sketchy shooter, as is Anderson (though I don't think it is nearly as big of a deal if he is a PF).

There are two options that would solve the lack of spacing regarding the starting lineup.

start Mills instead of Murray, or start Bertans instead of Anderson

Mills, Green, Leonard, Anderson, LMA
Murray, Green, Leonard, Bertans, LMA

Both units have three high volume, high percentage shooters with Anderson or Murray serving as wild cards from 3.

Murray's form actually looked pretty good last season and he shot 39% (9-23) on 3's
Anderson shot 37.5% (15-40) from 3, more importantly he shot 12-29 from the corners (41.4%)

Teams are going to leave Anderson open on corner 3's (which is currently the only type of 3's he should be taking he is 28-66 for his career from the corners during the RS 42% 3PT)

while opposing 4's are going to sag off when he is spotting up from there, as long as he continues shoot well from there, while also increasing his attempts he and the offense should be fine. Think Tony Parker; teams never really guarded him from the corners but he would consistently knock down 40% from the corners.

For example; Anderson plays 24 mpg, takes 1.2 3pt (all from the corner, doubling his attempts from last season) attempts per game while hitting 37.5% that's 1.368 Points Per Shot which is above average.

It's on Pop to add more motion to the offense which would also help utilize Anderson's play-making ability. I would also like to see him have more freedom by being able to bring the ball up the floor after grabbing defensive rebounds.

Would be my preferred lineup assuming that we don't get CP3 or Hill

Mills-Green-Leonard-Anderson-Aldridge
Murray-Simmons-Hanga (or FA)-Bertans-Lee

duncan2k5
05-30-2017, 08:55 AM
U guys are tripping about Kyle...It isnt in his nature to be aggressive... he has been in the league for years and cant shoot...He He gets dribbling violations, and is an an passer at best...Im tired of seeing our offense go to shit when he is in

noles1983
05-30-2017, 09:11 AM

Murray - Tony
Green - Manu/Hanga
Kawhi - Simmons
Bertans - Anderson
Aldridge - Gasol

:vomit:

dabom
05-30-2017, 12:10 PM
U guys are tripping about Kyle...It isnt in his nature to be aggressive... he has been in the league for years and cant shoot...He He gets dribbling violations, and is an an passer at best...Im tired of seeing our offense go to shit when he is in

:lol

MultiTroll
05-30-2017, 12:40 PM
he has been in the league for years and cant shoot...
He insist's on shooting while he is on the way down 90% of his shot attempts.
I get it, he's doing that backyard thing where it's 5 4 3 2 1...
He likes to get the defender airborne and then outlast him and shoot it over defender while he himself is going down.
Looks very cool when it works, and he has hit a ton also. But he's missed two tons.
Stop that silly shit now.
He also can hit the corner three. When he just goes up and shoots normal style.

cd021
05-30-2017, 02:28 PM
he has been in the league for years and cant shoot...
Im tired of seeing our offense go to shit when he is in

Anderson shot 37.5% (15-40) from 3, he shot 12-29 from the corners (41.4%) last season

He is 28-66 for his career from the corners during the RS 42% 3PT

The problem isn't that he can't shoot, it's that he doesn't shoot more. He took one 3 for every 25 minutes he was on the floor last season

dbestpro
05-30-2017, 02:58 PM
If the league is gonna continue to call the game and makes rules that make big men irrelevant, then they should just eliminate the PF and C positions, and just play 3 on 3.

tholdren
05-30-2017, 03:41 PM
If the league is gonna continue to call the game and makes rules that make big men irrelevant, then they should just eliminate the PF and C positions, and just play 3 on 3.

No, just dont play the traditional big man. Your 4 and 5 either need to abuse people from the low block or be able to pass and drive. Pop insistance on playing lma and pau and their shitty contribution proves what i have been saying since mcdyess