PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Small Fowards - the players - the targets

tbdog
05-23-2017, 08:28 PM
Refer to this thread for Chinook's salary and numbers (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266699)
Refer to this thread for Point Guard thread (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268767&p=9028124&viewfull=1#post9028124)
Refer to this thread for Shooting Guard thread (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268773&p=9028259#post9028259)

Spurs front office need to build a contender over the next 5 years while Leonard is a stud. Do they make a lot of moves this off season to continue the title contention? Or do they hold sail for the 2018 season, which appeared the most likely outcome prior to this season with the expiring contracts of Parker and Gasol, plus the opt renegotiation with LMA deal?

At the beginning of the season and throughout, we were calling for Spurs to pick up a SF. Instead we settle with a center in Anthony. Spurs were linked to Stanley Johnson earlier in the season and would assume they wanted a dedicated SF to backup Leonard. However in the playoffs Anderson and Simmons proved they are both capable of playing backup minutes at the 3. Anderson appears more of a full time 4 now and Bertans should never see minutes there. So do the Spurs need to fill this position? Well with Simmons staying, no, but if he goes, then yes. But I would assume the Spurs will fix their guard hole and live with this smaller one.

Top Range - 18mil+ to max contracts

Hayward
Gallinari
Porter

Gallinari and Spurs would be a love affair, but we are not paying big money when we have one of the best SF's running our team.

Outcome: It won't happen.

Midrange - 8 to 16 mil contracts

Gay
Tucker
Iguodala
Bogdanovic
Ingles
Muhammad
Cunningham

Some interesting names here but neither of them will move the goal post. Spurs will call Gay and ask him to take a Lee deal, and he will say No. Tucker would look for a starting role and perhaps stays in Toronto with Carroll looking like dead weight. Besides there are some decent 2's than can play the 3, like Roberson or Sefolosha.

Outcome: Won't be happening. I don't see any of these names to remain after a season or two. Some are too old, most are more small ball 4 these days, and we have 2 of them at a much cheaper price with Bertans and Anderson. We have Leonard, no need to spend much here.

Veterans and the raw - Min to low dollar contracts

Casspi
Luc Mbah a Moute
K.J. McDaniels
Dunleavy
James Young
Jeff Green

I have an interest in Mbah A Moute in the solid backup 3&D role but I wouldn't touch him near the midrange. Same as Casspi, who will want midrange money and both won't get it, and instead they will go for minutes. If Nets let McDaniels go, then he does not belong in SA.

Outcome: Unlikely. It all comes down to if the Spurs can retain Simmons. If not, they will probably look at someone in the SG list like Tyrke Evans and live with this backup hole.

Trade targets

Crowder - 6 mil
Covington - 2mil
MKD - 13mil
Stanley Johnson - 3mil
Ennis - 3mil
Lance Thomas - 6mil
McDermott - 3mil

Spurs were linked to Stanely Johnson earlier in the season which means they were not satisfied with Anderson and Simmons at the time. I have a lot of interest in Covington. Sixers may move him because they overcrowded in the forward spot, and they might be interested in Mills and Simmons and probably both. Sixers could sign them both outright, however the spurs may have to take Henderson or Bayless to acquire Covington. Thunder could be interested in Mills but would have to match salaries, and unsure if they can obtain a sign a trade involving McDermott.

Outcome: Unlikely. If the Spurs make a trade they will look to fill other positions of need and live with a lack of a full time backup. I would love to see Covington or McDermott in a Spurs uniform.

Note* yes spelling :(

raybies
05-23-2017, 08:31 PM
Hey thanks for these contributions man. Solid writeup.

Mike Dunleavy is interesting to me as backup three. Should be able to get him for the vet min or close

TheGreatYacht
05-23-2017, 08:32 PM
Deuce should sticky these tbh. These will be our FA tracker

MaNu4Tres
05-23-2017, 08:40 PM
Hanga for the price >

Covington would be amazing. Spurs would have to trade their 1st, which I wouldn't do.

Hayward would be nice too. But I don't see him giving up all that money. LA - Kawhi - Hayward - Green - Murray. Yes, please.

r0drig0lac
05-23-2017, 08:51 PM
Bring Hanga and Quincy Miller from Europe
RoCo is impossible
Spurs could use Rudy Gay or Jeff Green

MaNu4Tres
05-23-2017, 08:55 PM
Bring Hanga and Quincy Miller from Europe
RoCo is impossible
Spurs could use Rudy Gay or Jeff Green

Nah Spurs don't need Gay. They need low usage versatile wings that have value tied to the defensive end around Kawhi. Gay is the exact opposite of that lol.

r0drig0lac
05-23-2017, 08:58 PM
Nah Spurs don't need Gay. They need low usage versatile wings that have value tied to the defensive end around Kawhi. Gay is the exact opposite of that lol.

I believe Gay can be used more efficiently by Pop, but he would not come here anyway, and yes, Spurs do not need it, but athletic wings are never too much.

MaNu4Tres
05-23-2017, 08:59 PM
I believe Gay can be used more efficiently by Pop, but he would not come here anyway, and yes, Spurs do not need it, but athletic wings are never too much.

Gay only takes away touches from Kawhi, while being lost on defense. No thanks.

benefactor
05-23-2017, 09:01 PM
People still want Rudy Gay?:lol

Jesus

BackHome
05-23-2017, 09:04 PM
ANTIFA - Just Bring Hanga and call it a day and a good one at that. The dude can play SF and SG is a good defender has good handles can actually dribble the ball..cough cough..Green...

I. Hustle
05-23-2017, 09:05 PM

Bend over, I'll show you gay touches

coachmac87
05-23-2017, 09:10 PM

Plus he's coming off an Achilles lol

-21-
05-24-2017, 12:39 PM
No one interesting other than the trade options that are very unlikely.

DAF86
05-24-2017, 12:52 PM
I'm all in favour of giving Porter all the money he wants, tbh. If not, Bogdanovic would be nice at the right price.

jyra
05-25-2017, 06:27 AM
I think Chris Singleton would be a good 3&D option to take a look at especially if KA gets traded. He has vastly improved his shooting this past season, 50.4% FG% and 39.7% 3P% (43.6% in Euroleague play) on 3 attempts per game. His defense should still be good as well. Maybe he is more of a power forward offensively but on defense he should be fine at either position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RDYIWIs3lc

Chinook
05-25-2017, 11:11 AM
I think Chris Singleton would be a good 3&D option to take a look at especially if KA gets traded. He has vastly improved his shooting this past season, 50.4% FG% and 39.7% 3P% (43.6% in Euroleague play) on 3 attempts per game. His defense should still be good as well. Maybe he is more of a power forward offensively but on defense he should be fine at either position.

TJastal would be proud.

Real-talk, if he can defend on the perimeter he can be a useful tool in the box.

-21-
05-25-2017, 11:34 AM

Huh, I remember this guy... very interesting.

Ice009
05-25-2017, 11:43 AM
Isn't Chris Singleton the guy some posters here wanted over Kawhi? He was in the same draft, yeah?

Biggems
05-27-2017, 01:36 PM
I want Ennis

ace3g
05-27-2017, 04:53 PM
I just want a player that can guard multiple positions on the perimeter and can handle the ball/shoot a little.