PDA

View Full Version : Another improvement we need (to help get HCA back): New P.A. Announcer

UNT Eagles 2016
05-23-2017, 09:11 PM
We were spoiled over the long years for most of the TD era with one of the greatest of all time, Stan Kelly. When he left for WOAI, we lost an irreplaceable voice that contributed to one of the best HCA's over the Duncan era that significantly helped us win 4 championships and made us one of the hardest teams to beat at home. One of the best in the history of sports at getting the most out of the fans.

Then as the 2008-09 season, we were all suddenly shocked because we did not hear our familiar friend for the first time in well over a decade. Big Kev was a disappointment at first because he was not Kelly, but gradually he got better. (His replacement for much of the '09 season was awful and worse than college-level, but he was able to return by the next season.) He peaked near the end of his time with the Spurs, in 2011 and 2012. He was never quite Kelly, but he had a lovable flair of his own by the 2012 season and especially during that 20-game winning streak that led into the playoffs. Certainly an above average PA announcer was Big Kev, at least during the second half of his time. But he abruptly left after the 2012 bad ending, for some particular reason.

The 2013 season featured one abortion-level replacement that spanned the entire season. Mundane, boring, no energy -- you name it. Arguably the worst PA announcer we've ever had.

The one we've had since 2014 has been average at best, but average just is not good enough to get Spurs fans away from Whataburger and cheering loudly. The HCA with this guy has not been there, and every time the Spurs make a three pointer at home I want to cringe -- that "THREEEEEEEE" bellow is easily the most effeminate call in sports.

We'll never get another Kelly short of Kelly returning, that guy was a legend. But we need at least someone the caliber of Big Kev to usher in the Kawhi-dominant era. This current guy won't cut it, and as long as someone of his mediocre caliber is our P.A. announcer, the Spurs will continue to drop home games -- including playoff home games -- like the prison soap. He must be replaced.

Russ
05-23-2017, 09:15 PM
Don't forget the great Pat Tallman, the Spurs announcer even before Stan Kelly.

TheGreatYacht
05-23-2017, 09:22 PM
Yeah, that ginger is terrible.

Spurs should go after OKC's music guy. The one we have now is godawful.... his playlist consists of Selena, country music, old geezer music, and La Bamba. How are fans supposed to wake up? They already have to watch postup offense as it is :lol

UNT Eagles 2016
05-23-2017, 09:26 PM
Yeah, that ginger is terrible.

Spurs should go after OKC's music guy. The one we have now is godawful.... his playlist consists of Selena, country music, old geezer music, and La Bamba. How are fans supposed to wake up? They already have to watch postup offense as it is :lol
The defense music has held classic since the opening season in 2003 and I like it that way. The offense music needs to return to more classic tunes and less new age techno shit. More GSG, standard basketball offense jingles, and of course Rocky stuff near the end of close games. That's always classified the Spurs offense music.

What you're referring to is the timeout music? I guess more pop, party and disco music there would be good and would pump up the crowd more.

FkLA
05-23-2017, 09:38 PM
Twooo minutes. Twooooooo minutes.

ST used to hate Stan Kelly. I liked him though. I also love the "Threeeeee" call by the current ginger. His wife is battling cancer too if I'm not mistaken so it'd be bad form to let him go, tbh.

FkLA
05-23-2017, 09:45 PM
Stan Kelly does UTSA football games now btw. So he's not retired, I think the Spurs just decided to move on. What's funny is, they do Spurs "defense" chants on 3rd down now when UTSA is on defense. There was a chant suggestions thread on the UTSA message board and I suggested it, then shortly after they started using it at games. The athletic department looks at the boards so I'm pretty sure I had something to do with it, tbh. :claw

UNT Eagles 2016
05-23-2017, 09:46 PM
Stan Kelly does UTSA football games now btw. So he's not retired, I think the Spurs just decided to move on. What's funny is, they do Spurs "defense" chants on 3rd down now when UTSA is on defense. There was a chant suggestions thread on the UTSA message board and I suggested it, then shortly after they started using it at games. The athletic department looks at the boards so I'm pretty sure I had something to do with it, tbh. :claw

Funny I didn't even hear him watching the last UNT/UTSA game last fall.

UNT Eagles 2016
05-23-2017, 09:48 PM
Twooo minutes. Twooooooo minutes.

ST used to hate Stan Kelly. I liked him though. I also love the "Threeeeee" call by the current ginger. His wife is battling cancer too if I'm not mistaken so it'd be bad form to let him go, tbh.
Kelly was among the best in the league, maybe best after Mason in Detroit.

That "three" call by the current average guy is terrible. Sounds like a female is calling it. It's abominable.

As for the wife with breast cancer, can't use that as an excuse, and plus he can find work elsewhere easily. That sort of situation happens all the time.

apalisoc_9
05-23-2017, 10:06 PM
Spurs just needs better fan support.

Empty seats san antonio is now a well documented problem.