PDA

View Full Version : New Manu Article 5/24/17

ElNono
05-24-2017, 02:40 AM
I have to avoid making any decisions in the heat of the moment

SAN ANTONIO.- Honestly, everything was very weird. I felt like I was getting a tribute and I didn't know what to do, because I never announced anything and I haven't decided anything yet. When somebody would come along to tell me 'it was a pleasure to play with you' or 'it was an honor to play with you', it's like I was out of words. It's clear I'm fairly close to retirement and it's certainly a possibility, but I didn't get to the game expecting anything like that. I thought that by not saying anything about it would protect me from a situation like that. It was a mix of emotions. I think if I had already decided, it would've been a devastating blow, because I would've probably started crying right there and then. But because the situation is different, I didn't know how to react to what happened in the arena.

They were strange moments. Even heading to the bench when Pop subbed me out. I laughed a lot with Patty (Mills). He waited a minute or two, not sure how many, and he told something like... "why are they applauding so much? don't they know you're playing 3 more seasons?". I looked at him and I gestured that I didn't know what was going on. I made jokes that I was negotiating a 3 year deal, so he took it from there and played with it. The whole thing was hilarious.

Even Pop jumped right at it. When the people were chanting my name, he looked at me and told me to go back in. I think I had already taken my shoes off... I just looked at him. It was a good joke, because I was destroyed, I tried to not to show my general tiredness and pain. Once he sent me to the bench, I shut off. Pop told me I was going to play a lot, and he told me to prepare for that. I knew I was going to end up playing more than usual.

I know everybody is interested to know something that's not clear to me at this point. I think there was a lot of chatter about me this year, and not so much last year because Tim (Duncan) was in the same situation. So, whatever I decided then was obviously on a secondary level. Nevertheless, neither of us had said anything by the series' end, and it could've happened that I could've retired, or him or both. I felt that whatever I decided last year wasn't going to be very important. It's also real that last year I was more oriented towards continuing, although I didn't make a decision at that point because I understood I had to let a few weeks go by before deciding. And now it's the same thing: I have to avoid making any decisions in the heat of the moment, and let the emotions and frustrations go by for a while. We'll see what's going to happen now, but if the whole thing was set up to say goodbye, from Pop, to the people to my teammates, and even the opposite team, maybe they know something I don't.

It's also real that among the decision I make, there are matters that go beyond whether I have enough to keep going. I have to talk to the family, while I understand that with Many (Oroņo) we're not going to be debating this every day. We're probably going to talk about it in a given moment. Last year she said she would support me in anything I decide and I suppose this year won't me much different, I'm not expecting any surprises there. But realistically, we haven't talked much about it, because it wasn't time yet. At times during the season, when things don't go your way, you start thinking 'this is the end', when things go your way, you think 'why not?'. Now I'm going to take a good family vacation, we'll travel a lot, clean up my mind, and once we regroup, I'll probably have some idea what I want to do.

I feel there's more pressure from the surrounding environment than from anything I've said. If it'd be up to me, I wouldn't talk about it anymore because it looks like I've been retiring the past 3 years, but the reality is that I never retired. Time goes by and I get older, that's why there's some people that appear to assume that the moment is here for me to stop playing. It looks like I'm flirting with this whole retirement thing, but I only talk about it because people ask me about it. Otherwise, it would be a topic I wouldn't talk about.

What's clear to me is that this is a very personal decision, it's not just a matter of 'you can still help' or 'you still have some left in the tank'. I think I could keep going, because I could even play 5 mins a game if needed be. What's really going on is that this is a mental thing, to know if I want to put up with another whole season, start another preseason... it's a lot of things.

And honestly, after losing to the Warriors I went home and rested very well. They're the easiest losses to deal with. I had no regrets, we gave everything we had. It wasn't enough because they're better than us. We would've loved to take on them in different circumstances. But when plays out like this, I don't get too upset about it.

---

Original in Spanish here:

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/2026733-debo-evitar-tomar-determinaciones-en-caliente

dabom
05-24-2017, 02:43 AM
We're still up 23 on them. That hasn't changed for me too Manu. :toast

BillMc
05-24-2017, 02:50 AM
Kind of sounds like he feels he's being pushed out a little.

spursistan
05-24-2017, 03:10 AM
He's coming back, tbh..

Feels like Manu is encouraged by is own play to finish the postseason and still think he got something left in the tank along with sense of unfinished business the Kawhi injury provides to the team..

Best case scenario: TP and Manu announce prior to 2018 playoffs that this is IT for both..

silverblackfan
05-24-2017, 03:20 AM
Nono, thanks once again for the Manu update and translation!I really hope he comes back. Obviously he can still play great in short stints and still holds one of the keys to our offense while providing the 'heart' that most players just don't have. He is a fierce competitor and a hell of a writer. Funny article.

Texas_Ranger
05-24-2017, 04:06 AM
to me it sound like he'll be back and I don't mind it.

TheGreatYacht
05-24-2017, 04:27 AM
No pressure! It's not like you have a gigantic cap hold or anything. Just hang em up TOSB

hater
05-24-2017, 06:46 AM
Go away scrub.

Go the fuck away.

daledondale
05-24-2017, 06:56 AM
It seems that we gonna have Manu one more year. He should make it and annouce his retire after 2018 season, retiring playing at good level is the better choice.

Play Boban
05-24-2017, 08:07 AM
:cry

MultiTroll
05-24-2017, 09:17 AM
And honestly, after losing to the Warriors I went home and rested very well. They're the easiest losses to deal with. I had no regrets, we gave everything we had. It wasn't enough because they're better than us. We would've loved to take on them in different circumstances. But when plays out like this, I don't get too upset about it.
Pops slobbering Golden State is par for his course. Zero surprise there.
But Kawhi when asked about Goon Phuck Zaza saying before tape review "He was just contesting" and then after viewing "mmmm I'm just thinking about the next game".
And now this.
Highly disturbing.

sammy
05-24-2017, 09:47 AM
Come back Manu! You can still help our team! You are the heart and soul of this team and your court vision is just outstanding!

superbigtime
05-24-2017, 09:48 AM
Manu is a badass warrior and he is not ready to retire. He wants to play and to compete another season.

ducks
05-24-2017, 10:11 AM
if leonard was healthy I know he would retire. I am not sure because I think he thought they had a shot at winning it all this year

Pocho La Pantera
05-24-2017, 11:35 AM
One more year, just to watch the haters bitch about it.

Spur|n|Austin
05-24-2017, 12:02 PM
Kind of sounds like he feels he's being pushed out a little.

I got the same feeling right when the cheers started; it really hit when Patty jovially asked him "why is everyone standing up?". It was sort of cringy, especially considering he was one of our best contributors during these playoffs.

raybies
05-24-2017, 12:13 PM
The reverse jinx...

Hoops Czar
05-24-2017, 12:16 PM
He's coming back, tbh..

Feels like Manu is encouraged by is own play to finish the postseason and still think he got something left in the tank along with sense of unfinished business the Kawhi injury provides to the team..

Best case scenario: TP and Manu announce prior to 2018 playoffs that this is IT for both..

Of course he's coming back. The Spurs are holding out for 2018. Plus, the salary cap has never been higher and like last year, Ginobili wants a piece of that. First order of business is to call Brett Brown in Philly and have him offer up an obnoxious 1 year 18M/ deal so he can look like a hero when he accepts RC's offers of 1 year 15M. And this year, when the Spurs fly over the salary cap to pay Ginobili, he'll only cost them the MLE.

Hoops Czar
05-24-2017, 12:18 PM
Come back Manu! You can still help our team! You are the heart and soul of this team and your court vision is just outstanding!

If Ginobili is the heart and soul of the team, what does that make Leonard? Slave labor?

Amuseddaysleeper
05-24-2017, 12:27 PM
I would give me right arm for Manu to play one more season!

Canyonero
05-24-2017, 12:29 PM
No pressure! It's not like you have a gigantic cap hold or anything. Just hang em up TOSB

Go away scrub.

Go the fuck away.

Undeserving "fans" smh

ElNono
05-24-2017, 12:43 PM
Who would have thought Manu would retire after Parker, tbh?...

emanueldavidginobili
05-24-2017, 01:14 PM
Yeah it definetly feels like he feels that they are pushing him out. Every announcer NBA writer player everyone was giving his respects. I never seen anything like that for a player that never announced his retirement. Paul Pierce announced his retirement and still didn't get an ovation like that. EVERYONE was talking about him during and after the game.

kuato
05-24-2017, 02:27 PM
Manu needs an argentine teammate to play a whole season, then he will retire.

wildbill2u
05-24-2017, 02:30 PM
I would give me right arm for Manu to play one more season!

I would give your right arm too. Thanks for the great decision of a true fan.

Perry Mason
05-24-2017, 02:37 PM
Manu sounds a little butt-hurt, and a bit in denial.

Look, true Spur fans realize he was key for this playoff run in certain moments. We love him for that. But we cannot also easily say, "so it was better to have Manu and not someone else". That is a harder conclusion, since "someone else" would have received valuable playoff experience and an important year to learn the system and play with Kawhi.

Manu has to realize that for most games, he looks pretty poor. He's slow and reckless now in attacking the basket, and his shot is random. Fans are right to think retirement is near, and probably proper. The team has to move on. Don't feel bad about it Manu, count your money and live like el Rey in Argentina, just don't use their banks (use Colombian ones).

spursistan
05-24-2017, 02:49 PM
Manu sounds a little butt-hurt, and a bit in denial.

Look, true Spur fans realize he was key for this playoff run in certain moments. We love him for that. But we cannot also easily say, "so it was better to have Manu and not someone else". That is a harder conclusion, since "someone else" would have received valuable playoff experience and an important year to learn the system and play with Kawhi.

Manu has to realize that for most games, he looks pretty poor. He's slow and reckless now in attacking the basket, and his shot is random. Fans are right to think retirement is near, and probably proper. The team has to move on. Don't feel bad about it Manu, count your money and live like el Rey in Argentina, just don't use their banks (use Colombian ones).

Sup hater :lol

testies
05-24-2017, 02:49 PM
Lol hes so butthurt

spurs10
05-24-2017, 03:01 PM
We're still up 23 on them. That hasn't changed for me too Manu. :toast Ditto! :toast

Kind of sounds like he feels he's being pushed out a little. Hope not! :toast

TDomination
05-24-2017, 03:18 PM
Manu will be back and Pop can just play him every other game. Play him, rest him, play him, rest him, etc and he'll only have to play 41 games.

spursistan
05-24-2017, 04:03 PM
It can't be denied that Manu felt a bit awkward with fans and opposing players/coaches feting him as if he declared it he was done..Not sure he's type of guy who will let that decide it for him , but I'm genuinely getting more confident he'll be back..

GSH
05-24-2017, 04:20 PM
Thanks, Nono. Nothing like hearing things straight from the horse's mouth. :tu

People will still make up their own stories between now and whenever he announces something. But I believe he said exactly what he meant, and he really doesn't know yet.

spursistan
05-24-2017, 04:25 PM
Thanks, Nono. Nothing like hearing things straight from the horse's mouth. :tu

People will still make up their own stories between now and whenever he announces something. But I believe he said exactly what he meant, and he really doesn't know yet.

Other than that, he should really look out of the window of his house to see if TGY/Hater/Splits aren't out there with torches and pitchforks before tweeting.."I'm back"..

GSH
05-24-2017, 04:29 PM
Other than that, he should really look out of the window of his house to see if TGY/Hater/Splits aren't out there with torches and pitchforks before tweeting.."I'm back"..

With very few exceptions, I can't keep up with who hates who here. More to the point, I don't even try. When they same something that has some fact behind it, I don't care if they're a hater. Reality is the same, no matter who says it. When they just say "this guy sucks" with no reason, I don't care if it's the first time they've said it or the thousandth time. Stupid is the same, no matter who says it.

Hoops Czar
05-24-2017, 05:43 PM
With very few exceptions, I can't keep up with who hates who here. More to the point, I don't even try. When they same something that has some fact behind it, I don't care if they're a hater. Reality is the same, no matter who says it. When they just say "this guy sucks" with no reason, I don't care if it's the first time they've said it or the thousandth time. Stupid is the same, no matter who says it.

You're either a fan of nostalgia or you're a hater. :lol

Ginobili had his lowest eFG% (.491) of his career, tied for lowest TRB's (2.3) of his career with his rookie season, lowest assist totals since his rookie season (2.3), lowest VORP (1.3) and the lowest win shares of his career (3.0). He was slightly better in TOV% (16.5) than the two previous seasons but that's probably due to his significant decrease in USG% which was the lowest since his rookie season.Even with the bounce back year in the postseason, he had his 2nd lowest eFG% (.459) of his career, 2nd lowest WS (.5) and tied for the second lowest VORP (.3) of his career.

I mean, he's a Spur for life and I don't think many fans are hating on him but, most knowledgeable fans can see that he's been hanging on to the thin end of a rope for a few years now and he just doesn't have much to give anymore. Some fans (we'll call these fans haters for argument sake) would like to see Ginobili end his career on a high note (2017 playoffs) rather than struggle his was through another long NBA season at 40. I used to be big on nostalgia but unfortunately, I don't need to watch a player's career die on the court just because player fans don't want to let go of the past. 2005-2007 Ginobili isn't walking through those doors. Can he comeback for the league minimum and play the role of player/mentor for some of the youngsters? Yeah, he can but let's be honest, it's highly unlikely that he'd accept a league minimum contract and even more unlikely that an organization which prides itself on loyalty, would even consider such a low ball offer. It's just not worth going above the salary cap to hand out free money to a player who can't possibly come close to living up to his contract and in the process, sacrificing the MLE in the process.

MultiTroll
05-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Ginobili had his,, tied for lowest TRB's (2.3) of his career with his rookie season,
lowest assist totals since his rookie season (2.3),

per game is pretty meaningless when you factor in GNob had the lowest minutes per game of his career.

Per minute much more accurate
Assists: 5.1 better then half of all his seasons
TRB: 4.4 at the lower end but....

In the eyeball test, I saw all the testicles and great play I needed to see to judge Manu.
Bring back for another year.
Just don't pull some 14 million dollar bullshit again.

ElNono
05-24-2017, 06:23 PM

Ginobili had his lowest eFG% (.491) of his career, tied for lowest TRB's (2.3) of his career with his rookie season, lowest assist totals since his rookie season (2.3), lowest VORP (1.3) and the lowest win shares of his career (3.0). He was slightly better in TOV% (16.5) than the two previous seasons but that's probably due to his significant decrease in USG% which was the lowest since his rookie season.Even with the bounce back year in the postseason, he had his 2nd lowest eFG% (.459) of his career, 2nd lowest WS (.5) and tied for the second lowest VORP (.3) of his career.

I mean, he's a Spur for life and I don't think many fans are hating on him but, most knowledgeable fans can see that he's been hanging on to the thin end of a rope for a few years now and he just doesn't have much to give anymore. Some fans (we'll call these fans haters for argument sake) would like to see Ginobili end his career on a high note (2017 playoffs) rather than struggle his was through another long NBA season at 40. I used to be big on nostalgia but unfortunately, I don't need to watch a player's career die on the court just because player fans don't want to let go of the past. 2005-2007 Ginobili isn't walking through those doors. Can he comeback for the league minimum and play the role of player/mentor for some of the youngsters? Yeah, he can but let's be honest, it's highly unlikely that he'd accept a league minimum contract and even more unlikely that an organization which prides itself on loyalty, would even consider such a low ball offer. It's just not worth going above the salary cap to hand out free money to a player who can't possibly come close to living up to his contract and in the process, sacrificing the MLE in the process.

This is all good, but if we're going to have Joel Anthony for bench filler, I rather it be Manu, tbh

Hoops Czar
05-24-2017, 06:43 PM
per game is pretty meaningless when you factor in GNob had the lowest minutes per game of his career.

Per minute much more accurate
Assists: 5.1 better then half of all his seasons
TRB: 4.4 at the lower end but....

In the eyeball test, I saw all the testicles and great play I needed to see to judge Manu.
Bring back for another year.
Just don't pull some 14 million dollar bullshit again.

Maybe, but now let's look at Boban's stat line per 100 posessions... 29.9 ppg :wow/ 19.6 TRB (7.4 ORB):wow / 2.3 Blocks :wow/ 60 FG% WS/48 .325 :wow TS%.662 eFG% .603

We paid Ginobili 14M dollars and let Boban "Wilt Chaimberlain" Marjanovic get away? Precisely why I don't use per 100 possessions as a go to stat but duly noted on the minutes reduction for Ginobilli.

This is all good, but if we're going to have Joel Anthony for bench filler, I rather it be Manu, tbh

As would I. :lol

DarrinS
05-24-2017, 06:44 PM
Doesn't Manu realize that the fans did the chanting and standing ovation JUST IN CASE he decides to retire and that was his last game? Regrettably, they never got to do that for Tim, since his last game was in OKC.

Play Boban
05-24-2017, 06:49 PM
Maybe, but now let's look at Boban's stat line per 100 posessions... 29.9 ppg :wow/ 19.6 TRB (7.4 ORB):wow / 2.3 Blocks :wow/ 60 FG% WS/48 .325 :wow TS%.662 eFG% .603

We paid Ginobili 14M dollars and let Boban "Wilt Chaimberlain" Marjanovic get away? Precisely why I don't use per 100 possessions as a go to stat but duly noted on the minutes reduction for Ginobilli.

Play Boban tbh... :wow

diego
05-24-2017, 06:50 PM

All of the same can be said for Parker, do you want him to retire too?

Hoops Czar
05-24-2017, 07:05 PM
All of the same can be said for Parker, do you want him to retire too?

I would want him to move to the bench. But if Ginobili was in Parker's shoes (age 35), I'd be pleading with the organization to bring in some help and let Ginobili be the shooting guard he was brought in to be and alleviate some of the everyday pressures of trying to run the offense for the second unit. The PATFO doesn't care. Their idea of help is trying to convert a shooting guard with far less skills than a washed up Ginobili, and turn him into a pg.

They tried to turn Georg Hill into a pg, didn't work. They tried to turn Gary Neal into a pg, massive failure. They tried to turn Paddy Mills into a pg, massive failure. The organization is largely responsible for Ginobili's deterioration. Manu pours his heart and soul into every possession on the court and that dumb ass stick in the mud GM didn't give him any help..

picnroll
05-24-2017, 07:40 PM
Without his buddies Diaw and now quite possibly Mills might add weight to a decision to retire.

tholdren
05-24-2017, 08:21 PM
Who would have thought Manu would retire after Parker, tbh?...

Me. Parker does it to be famous, manu does it because he loves the competing. Manu wont retire because his need for going out with a ring, or at least getting beat by a better team with sa at full strength. Parker will be 700 pounds by the time he can actually rehab then he wont bc hes a pussy

therealtruth
05-24-2017, 09:28 PM

The 14M was for low balling him over the years.

spurs10
05-24-2017, 09:33 PM
Who would have thought Manu would retire after Parker, tbh?... :stirpot: Yeah....whodathunkit...:)

GSH
05-25-2017, 12:38 AM

I know you understand the cap, and I know you've looked at where the Spurs are likely to be. They are going to have to pay a healthy price for at least a couple of players, which means they will have to round out the roster with some "affordable" guys. And we all know that means guys that don't see the light of day in the playoffs, unless there is another string of injuries. And maybe not even then.

Manu isn't what he used to be, and we all understand that. And if he has to get paid like last year, it's not even close. But at the vet min, I would take him over just about anything else the Spurs could find for that price. I'd take him based on skills, without any consideration for how he used to play. All those stats you listed are true, but I don't think that means anything. Just compare him to other players at the same price, and not to who he used to be.

ducks
05-25-2017, 02:07 PM
think pop and spurs are ready to move on from him
but since he is so popular they are hoping he just retires
that might be way he is feeling pushed out

Old School 44
05-25-2017, 03:14 PM
Doesn't Manu realize that the fans did the chanting and standing ovation JUST IN CASE he decides to retire and that was his last game? Regrettably, they never got to do that for Tim, since his last game was in OKC.
This. As nice as Tim's retirement ceremony was, the fans didn't get the on-the-court send off. If Manu does retire, I hope he becomes the first international studio personality. Great writer, with great insight. Do it TNT. I can see Charles introducing his new colleague - GINOBILI!!!!!

DPG21920
05-25-2017, 04:20 PM
I thought for sure he was coming back despite a reduced level of play because he was healthy. But when Pop started him like that out of nowhere and played him all the minutes it was like a message which threw me off.

But Manu can keep cashing checks and playing 5 minutes like he said so I can definitely see him making as much money as possible until he actually breaks down.

Pocho La Pantera
05-25-2017, 07:04 PM
He's been great these series. He needs to retire though.

Hoops Czar
05-25-2017, 07:18 PM

No, but it's even more impressive when a fierce playoff rival's fan base rises and acknowledges one of the all-time greats with a standing ovation. IIRC, Tim got a nice ovation after game 4, not like Manu's but still.

SAGirl
05-25-2017, 07:55 PM
I thought for sure he was coming back despite a reduced level of play because he was healthy. But when Pop started him like that out of nowhere and played him all the minutes it was like a message which threw me off.

But Manu can keep cashing checks and playing 5 minutes like he said so I can definitely see him making as much money as possible until he actually breaks down.
Undecided though he may be, he's been probably giving signs that he's going to in fact retire prompting Pop to do that. Pop himself felt happy to have given him that honor specially as he said for a star that agreed to come from the bench to make the team better. Retiring is likely but not conclusive. I think the reduction in playing time has to be projected bc Spurs have players they need to develop and if they were to pay Simmons he's going to have a bigger role.

Dverde
05-25-2017, 08:03 PM
You're almost forty, it's time to move on with your life.

turkish spurs fan
05-25-2017, 10:54 PM
it is time to move on with your life, playing basketball in spurs.

DMC
05-26-2017, 12:26 AM
I'm bored with him already. Retire or don't who fucking cares.

:lol El

ElNono
05-26-2017, 12:59 AM
I'm bored with him already. Retire or don't who fucking cares.

:lol El

:lol