PDA

View Full Version : Republican candidate 'body-slams' Guardian reporter in Montana

baseline bum
05-24-2017, 08:56 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/24/greg-gianforte-bodyslams-reporter-ben-jacobs-montana
Republican candidate 'body-slams' Guardian reporter in Montana

Audio obtained of Greg Gianforte attacking a reporter on eve of a special election to fill a congressional seat vacated by a member of the Trump administration

KQwu4wff7lI

Julia Carrie Wong and Sam Levin
Wednesday 24 May 2017 21.39 EDT First published on Wednesday 24 May 2017 20.11 EDT

The Republican candidate for Montana’s congressional seat slammed a Guardian reporter to the floor on the eve of the state’s special election, breaking his glasses and shouting, “Get the hell out of here.”

Ben Jacobs, a Guardian political reporter, was asking Greg Gianforte, a tech millionaire running for the seat vacated by Ryan Zinke, about the Republican healthcare plan when the candidate allegedly “body-slammed” the reporter.

“He took me to the ground,” Jacobs said by phone from the back of an ambulance. “This is the strangest thing that has ever happened to me in reporting on politics.”

Jacobs subsequently reported the incident to the police. The Gallatin County sheriff’s office is investigating.

A statement by campaign spokesman Shane Scanlon blamed Jacobs for the altercation, saying that he “entered the office without permission, aggressively shoved a recorder in Greg’s face, and began asking badgering questions”.

“Jacobs was asked to leave,” the statement reads. “After asking Jacobs to lower the recorder, Jacobs declined. Greg then attempted to grab the phone that was pushed in his face. Jacobs grabbed Greg’s wrist, and spun away from Greg, pushing them both to the ground.

“It’s unfortunate that this aggressive behavior from a liberal journalist created this scene at our campaign volunteer BBQ.”

Scanlon’s account appears to be contradicted by audio of the abortive interview recorded by Jacobs. The audio does not capture Jacobs being asked to leave or lower his recorder, but does contain an apparent reference to the Guardian’s previous attempts to report on Gianforte. “I’m sick and tired of you guys,” Gianforte said. “The last guy who came here did the same thing. Get the hell out of here. Get the hell out of here. The last guy did the same thing. Are you with the Guardian?”

“Yes! You just broke my glasses,” Jacobs replied.

“The last guy did the same damn thing,” Gianforte said.

“You just body slammed me and broke my glasses,” Jacobs said.

“Get the hell out of here,” Gianforte yelled.

“The Guardian is deeply appalled by how our reporter, Ben Jacobs, was treated in the course of doing his job as a journalist while reporting on the Montana special election,” Guardian US editor Lee Glendinning said in a statement. “We are committed to holding power to account and we stand by Ben Jacobs and our team of reporters for the questions they ask and the reporting that is produced. The incident has been referred to law enforcement and we have confidence that it will be handled appropriately.”

The altercation took place at Gianforte’s campaign headquarters in Bozeman, Montana. Gianforte was in a side room with a local television news crew when Jacobs attempted to ask his question, according to Jacobs.

“I decided there was no harm in asking one question, and the worst thing that could happen was they would tell me to go to hell,” Jacobs said.

Jacobs’s account was partially confirmed by BuzzFeed News reporter Alexis Levinson, who wrote on Twitter that she had been in an adjacent room during the incident.

“This happened behind a half closed door, so I didn’t see it all, but here’s what it looked like from the outside – Ben walked into a room where a local tv crew was set up for an interview with Gianforte. All of a sudden I heard a giant crash and saw Ben’s feet fly in the air as he hit the floor. Heard very angry yelling (as did all the volunteers in the room) – sounded like Gianforte...”

Levinson later tweeted that Gianforte left the event without speaking and that the Gallatin County Sheriffs department was taking witness statements.

Levinson told the Guardian by phone that before the incident, she overheard Gianforte’s staff telling Jacobs that the campaign was upset with the Guardian’s previous reporting and that the candidate would likely not have time to talk to him. Jacobs then entered the side room to try to talk to Gianforte.

She said that the crash from the altercation was very loud and interrupted the entire office: “Everyone in the room heard it. Everyone in the room went silent.” She also said it wasn’t clear who might have directly witnessed the clash, adding “Ben walked out holding his glasses that were visibly broken and said, ‘He just body-slammed me’.”

Gallatin County sheriff Brian Gootkin confirmed to the Guardian that his department was “currently investigating” the incident and declined to comment further.

The special election has attracted national attention, and spending has reached $17m as the race has tightened. Democrat Rob Quist is a political novice and folksinger. Quist declined to comment on the altercation when approached by reporters on Wednesday.

Gianforte is a tech mogul who mounted an unsuccessful campaign for governor in 2016.

On 28 April, Jacobs reported on Gianforte’s financial ties to Russian companies that have been sanctioned by the US. Gianforte’s wealth is estimated at between $65m and $315m.

Last month, the Missoulian newspaper took Gianforte to task for his attitude toward the press. At an event hosted by the Advancing Conservatism Society, an audience member reportedly said: “Our biggest enemy is the news media. How can we rein in the news media?”

Gianforte responded by pointing at a reporter and saying, “We have someone right here. It seems like there is more of us than there is of him.” The Republican later told the Billings Gazette that his comments were a joke.

The Missoulian editorial board interpreted Gianforte’s statement as “demonstrat[ing] Gianforte’s agreement that news media are ‘the enemy’”. “While his apology is appreciated,” they wrote, “Gianforte needs to take pains to set a better example of civility from now on.”

monosylab1k
05-24-2017, 08:59 PM
Fake news, evil media had it coming, etc

djohn2oo8
05-24-2017, 09:00 PM
That reporter originally reported the dude for having ties to Russia lol

Reck
05-24-2017, 09:04 PM
These republicans are nothing but thugs. They're running a mafia like organization.

Reck
05-24-2017, 10:01 PM

You know you done fucked up when even Fox is calling you out. :lol

djohn2oo8
05-24-2017, 10:06 PM

boutons_deux
05-24-2017, 10:18 PM
Gianforte has publicly come out against the American Health Care Act, saying he would not have voted in favor of the version that passed the House, and, as Jacobs pointed out, that he was waiting to make further judgements after the CBO’s score.

Privately, Gianforte expressed (in a leaked audio tape) that he was happy the Obamacare repeal and replace process is in motion, w

hich Democrats took to mean, that the House passed the bill.

There is no explaining why Gianforte allegedly chose to physically assault Jacobs, but the context around it

clarifies a just how high the stakes are with health care for Republicans in vulnerable districts.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/5/24/15688624/montana-special-election-bodyslam-ahca

touchy touchy :lol

monosylab1k
05-24-2017, 10:39 PM
Election is tomorrow, and this guy is probably gonna still win :lmao

Mitch
05-24-2017, 10:47 PM
Hope he wins, tbh :tu

Chris
05-24-2017, 10:48 PM
"Body slammed" :lol what a faggot :lol

baseline bum
05-24-2017, 11:27 PM
Election is tomorrow, and this guy is probably gonna still win :lmao

Most likely. 250,000 votes are already in from mail and this district had 388,000 votes last time. Montana does have same day registration so maybe Quist can get a small bump from that though.

baseline bum
05-24-2017, 11:30 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/24/greg-gianforte-fox-news-team-witnesses-gop-house-candidate-body-slam-reporter.html

Greg Gianforte: Fox News team witnesses GOP House candidate 'body slam' reporter
By Alicia Acuna Published May 24, 2017 Fox News

The race to fill Montana's sole seat in the U.S. House of Representatives took a violent turn Wednesday, and a crew from the Fox News Channel, including myself, witnessed it firsthand.

As part of our preparation for a story about Thursday's special election to air on "Special Report with Bret Baier," we arranged interviews with the top two candidates, Republican Greg Gianforte and Democrat Rob Quist. On Wednesday, I joined field producer Faith Mangan and photographer Keith Railey in Bozeman for our scheduled interview with Gianforte, which was to take place at the Gianforte for Congress Bozeman Headquarters.

Faith, Keith and I arrived early to set up for the interview in a room adjacent to another room where a volunteer BBQ was to take place. As the time for the interview neared, Gianforte came into the room. We exchanged pleasantries and made small talk about restaurants and Bozeman.

During that conversation, another man — who we now know is Ben Jacobs of The Guardian — walked into the room with a voice recorder, put it up to Gianforte's face and began asking if he had a response to the newly released Congressional Budget Office report on the American Health Care Act. Gianforte told him he would get to him later. Jacobs persisted with his question. Gianforte told him to talk to his press guy, Shane Scanlon.

At that point, Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him. Faith, Keith and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the reporter. As Gianforte moved on top of Jacobs, he began yelling something to the effect of, "I'm sick and tired of this!"

Jacobs scrambled to his knees and said something about his glasses being broken. He asked Faith, Keith and myself for our names. In shock, we did not answer. Jacobs then said he wanted the police called and went to leave. Gianforte looked at the three of us and repeatedly apologized. At that point, I told him and Scanlon, who was now present, that we needed a moment. The men then left.

As part of our preparation for a story about Thursday's special election to air on "Special Report with Bret Baier," we arranged interviews with the top two candidates, Republican Greg Gianforte and Democrat Rob Quist. On Wednesday, I joined field producer Faith Mangan and photographer Keith Railey in Bozeman for our scheduled interview with Gianforte, which was to take place at the Gianforte for Congress Bozeman Headquarters.

Faith, Keith and I arrived early to set up for the interview in a room adjacent to another room where a volunteer BBQ was to take place. As the time for the interview neared, Gianforte came into the room. We exchanged pleasantries and made small talk about restaurants and Bozeman.

During that conversation, another man — who we now know is Ben Jacobs of The Guardian — walked into the room with a voice recorder, put it up to Gianforte's face and began asking if he had a response to the newly released Congressional Budget Office report on the American Health Care Act. Gianforte told him he would get to him later. Jacobs persisted with his question. Gianforte told him to talk to his press guy, Shane Scanlon.

At that point, Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him. Faith, Keith and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the reporter. As Gianforte moved on top of Jacobs, he began yelling something to the effect of, "I'm sick and tired of this!"

Jacobs scrambled to his knees and said something about his glasses being broken. He asked Faith, Keith and myself for our names. In shock, we did not answer. Jacobs then said he wanted the police called and went to leave. Gianforte looked at the three of us and repeatedly apologized. At that point, I told him and Scanlon, who was now present, that we needed a moment. The men then left.

To be clear, at no point did any of us who witnessed this assault see Jacobs show any form of physical aggression toward Gianforte, who left the area after giving statements to local sheriff's deputies.

As for myself and my crew, we are cooperating with local authorities. It is not clear if charges will be filed against Gianforte at this time.

Scanlon later issued a statement saying that Jacobs "entered the [campaign] office without permission, aggressively shoved a recorder in Greg's face, and began asking badgering questions."

Later, the statement added, "After asking Jacobs to lower the recorder, Jacobs declined. Greg then attempted to grab the phone that was pushed in his face. Jacobs grabbed Greg's wrist, and spun away from Greg, pushing them both to the ground. It's unfortunate that this aggressive behavior from a liberal journalist created this scene at our campaign volunteer BBQ."

ElNono
05-25-2017, 03:35 AM
Aging and retirement

Gianforte has outlined his position on retirement by using the Biblical example of Noah. He said, "There's nothing in the Bible that talks about retirement. And yet it's been an accepted concept in our culture today. Nowhere does it say, 'Well, he was a good and faithful servant, so he went to the beach... The example I think of is Noah. How old was Noah when he built the ark? 600. He wasn't like, cashing Social Security checks, he wasn't hanging out, he was working. So, I think we have an obligation to work. The role we have in work may change over time, but the concept of retirement is not biblical."

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

ElNono
05-25-2017, 03:36 AM
somebody bump the 'religion of peace' thread? :lol

boutons_deux
05-25-2017, 07:50 AM
https://scontent-dft4-3.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18671310_2029639537263682_678916292055531842_n.jpg ?oh=1b0fb29fc5c47bb301f8e9e341aa5c82&oe=59BAC449

pgardn
05-25-2017, 08:06 AM
Aging and retirement

Gianforte has outlined his position on retirement by using the Biblical example of Noah. He said, "There's nothing in the Bible that talks about retirement. And yet it's been an accepted concept in our culture today. Nowhere does it say, 'Well, he was a good and faithful servant, so he went to the beach... The example I think of is Noah. How old was Noah when he built the ark? 600. He wasn't like, cashing Social Security checks, he wasn't hanging out, he was working. So, I think we have an obligation to work. The role we have in work may change over time, but the concept of retirement is not biblical."

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

And they did flee from retirement facilities with hammer and nail...
To build a Great Wall Of Separation to bear the strain of human migration.

Book Of Manual Labor

(I can feel the shivers of astonished correlation in Cosmo's spine)

RandomGuy
05-25-2017, 08:41 AM
Last month, the Missoulian newspaper took Gianforte to task for his attitude toward the press. At an event hosted by the Advancing Conservatism Society, an audience member reportedly said: “Our biggest enemy is the news media. How can we rein in the news media?”

Gianforte responded by pointing at a reporter and saying, “We have someone right here. It seems like there is more of us than there is of him.” The Republican later told the Billings Gazette that his comments were a joke.

The Missoulian editorial board interpreted Gianforte’s statement as “demonstrat[ing] Gianforte’s agreement that news media are ‘the enemy’”. “While his apology is appreciated,” they wrote, “Gianforte needs to take pains to set a better example of civility from now on.”

Conservatives have made the truth their enemy, IMO.

boutons_deux
05-25-2017, 08:52 AM
Conservatives have made the truth their enemy, IMO.

but we must support the progressive/conservative equivalence of "motivated ignorance", existing on both sides. aka, OTOH bullshit

iow, progressives should be condemned for "motivated ignorance" in refusing listen to the lies, slander, hate, racism, xenophobia, bigotry, propaganda, paranoia of conservatives.

Progressives just gotta give conservatives a break here.

spurraider21
05-25-2017, 11:16 AM
Aging and retirement

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Spurminator
05-25-2017, 11:28 AM
Trigger warning

boutons_deux
05-25-2017, 11:35 AM
As pricktator Trash exhorted his goons, "rough 'em up"

ElNono
05-25-2017, 01:01 PM
And they did flee from retirement facilities with hammer and nail...
To build a Great Wall Of Separation to bear the strain of human migration.

Book Of Manual Labor

(I can feel the shivers of astonished correlation in Cosmo's spine)

:lol

Reck
05-25-2017, 01:08 PM
People who mailed their vote by mail calling in because they want their vote back. :lol

This is why you wait till the last minute.

boutons_deux
05-25-2017, 01:25 PM
Montana's biggest newspapers rescind endorsement of GOP candidate who violently assaulted a reporter (http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/5/25/1665903/-Montana-s-biggest-newspapers-rescind-endorsement-of-GOP-candidate-who-violently-assaulted-a-reporter)

Overnight, Montana’s three largest newspapers rescinded their endorsements of Gianforte, all offering hard-hitting op-eds. From The Missoulian: (http://missoulian.com/opinion/editorial/missoulian-rescinds-gianforte-endorsement/article_ab947a9d-9220-5dc5-9193-f1ae9ef03c60.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share)

Greg Gianforte should not represent Montana in the U.S. House of Representatives.

The Republican candidate for Congress not only lost the endorsement of this newspaper Wednesday night when, according to witnesses, he put his hands around the throat of a reporter asking him about his health care stance, threw him to the ground and punched him — he should lose the confidence of all Montanans.

Helena’s Independent Record: (http://helenair.com/news/local/an-ir-view-independent-record-withdraws-endorsement-of-gianforte/article_0d7d40b6-8d5d-587c-86f7-290a611b53db.html)

We cannot condone that kind of violence.

The reporter went to the hospital, and gianoforte has been cited for misdemeanor assault. And while we may not know all of the specifics of the incident until the investigation has concluded, we know that we can no longer support Gianforte’s candidacy.

The Billings Gazette (http://billingsgazette.com/opinion/editorial/gazette-opinion-we-re-pulling-our-endorsement-of-greg-gianforte/article_34d90b42-545b-5e10-9355-605b7c5cb11f.html) has never rescinded an endorsement before, but today is the day:

Although we're greatly troubled by this action against a member of the media who was just doing his job, to make this an issue of media intrusion or even a passionate defense of the role of a free press during an election would be to miss the point.

If what was heard on tape and described by eye-witnesses is accurate, the incident in Bozeman is nothing short of assault. We wouldn't condone it if it happened on the street. We wouldn't condone it if it happened in a home or even a late-night bar fight. And we couldn't accept it from a man who is running to become Montana's lone Congressional representative.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/5/25/1665903/-Montana-s-biggest-newspapers-rescind-endorsement-of-GOP-candidate-who-violently-assaulted-a-reporter?_=2017-05-25T06:02:24.003-07:00?detail=emaildkre

If gianforte wins, a recall? :lol

clambake
05-25-2017, 01:40 PM
no, i want this guy to win.

Adam Lambert
05-25-2017, 03:38 PM
remember when that canadian mayor was the craziest motherfucker in north american politics?

republicans: hold my beer

boutons_deux
05-25-2017, 04:14 PM
‘The Onion’ Invites Republican Candidate Greg Gianforte To Physically Assault Our Entire Editorial Staff

http://images2.onionstatic.com/onion/5734/2/16x9/1200.jpg

Given the important policies they oversee and the highly public nature of their work, it is to be expected that our government officials will at times come into conflict with the press, especially amid the tense political circumstances in which we now find ourselves. And it is not unusual for these tensions to reach an explosive flash point, as they did last night in Montana when Republican congressional candidate Greg Gianforte attacked a reporter from The Guardian for asking what was a shamefully antagonistic and prying question regarding the Republicans’ proposed healthcare bill.

In light of these events, our editorial board would like to state our unwavering support of Mr. Gianforte and invite him to physically assault every member of The Onion’s news staff.

It has always been the belief of this storied publication that elected officials and the press have important roles to play in our democracy: namely, that the former sets the policies that guide our nation, and the latter subserviently provides a mouthpiece to trumpet the will and intentions of the ruling class without question and without complaint. We here at The Onion are fully aware that our own reporters, like all members of the power-mad, out-of-control media, frequently overstep these sacred boundaries by scrutinizing the decisions and actions that those in mighty seats of authority, such as Mr. Gianforte, do not wish to discuss. And in such instances, it is important—imperative, even—that those who hold the reins of power put us in our place and punish us, preferably with considerable physical force, so that we never again commit such improper transgressions.

If any of our journalists have ever made Mr. Gianforte feel threatened in any way at all, whether by holding a recorder too close to his face, writing a story that did not paint him in a positive light, or disrespectfully seeking clarification on a point he or his party might have made,

we encourage him to use his fists, knees, elbows, or a blunt object of his choice to make it known through repeated physical blows how we have upset him.
To demonstrate our publication’s commitment to the solemn mission of maintaining the press’s proper subservience to the privileged and powerful, we invite—indeed, we encourage—Mr. Gianforte to visit The Onion’s headquarters at his convenience.

Upon entering our offices, he will promptly be directed to the rows of desks where our editorial staff produce their reportage so that he may assault each and every one of us for as long as he deems necessary.

Furthermore, The Onion would like to make it clear to Mr. Gianforte—as well as all other politicians who serve at all levels of government—that if at any time in the future you are ever asked a question by a member of our staff that you find unfair, intrusive, disparaging, or that simply makes you feel uncomfortable, please immediately channel all of your strength into shoving this individual out of your presence, preferably knocking them to the ground or against the wall, so that they may understand their error.

And if one of our reporters ever attempts to record an interaction that you do not wish to have documented, The Onion kindly suggests that you grab the camera or tape recorder from the journalist’s hands and throw it back into their chest or against a nearby wall as vigorously as you are capable of.

To further clarify just how he may treat our journalists, we ask that Mr. Gianforte refer to the following list of attacks that we have approved for his use, either individually or in combination, against any member of The Onion staff:

Slap
Kick
Punch to face
Punch to abdomen
Punch to back of head
Throw to ground
Chokehold
Hit with heavy object
Throat stomp
Grab by hair and smash face into tabletop
Suplex
While not a physically injurious attack, it should be noted that Mr. Gianforte is additionally allowed to spit on us.

The Onion believes strongly in the deferential role that the press must play in American democracy, and last night’s event in Montana was just the latest positive episode in the elegant dance between journalism and power that has gone on since this country’s founding. Without the vigilance and threats of physical violence from brave men and women like Mr. Gianforte, the press would surely become too brazen and powerful.

Mr. Gianforte, we hope that you accept our apology on behalf of the disgusting, disrespectful Guardian journalist who asked you that reprehensible question yesterday, and please know that we have readied a selection of heavy wooden bats for your use here in our offices and we eagerly await your reply.

http://www.theonion.com/article/onion-invites-republican-candidate-greg-gianforte--56117?utm_content=Main&utm_campaign=SF&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing

Chucho
05-25-2017, 04:25 PM
Hulkamania still running wild and bodyslammin' fake news, Brothers.

boutons_deux
05-25-2017, 04:34 PM
Who Is Greg Gianforte? Background on Montana Republican Accused of Assault

A Supporter of Creationism

Mr. Gianforte, who is originally from New Jersey, has been a supporter of creationism and was attacked during the governor’s race for seeming to question the theory of evolution (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/19/dinosaurs-roar-into-montana-governor-race-with-new-ad.html).

He has been a major benefactor of the Glendive Dinosaur and Fossil Museum, which explains the age of the dinosaurs in biblical terms (http://billingsgazette.com/news/features/magazine/dinosaur-museum-presents-biblical-view-of-origins/article_1c9ac218-bab0-11de-84f1-001cc4c002e0.html). :lol

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/25/us/greg-gianforte-facts.html

Just another billionaire prick with more money than brains.

boutons_deux
05-25-2017, 05:25 PM
REPUBLICAN HEALTH-CARE PLAN LACKS COVERAGE FOR INJURIES RESULTING FROM BODY SLAMMING

WASHINGTON —The health-care bill passed by House Republicans earlier this month offers no coverage for injuries suffered as a result of body slamming, according to a report issued on Thursday.

The report, released by the nonpartisan Center for Comprehensive Health Coverage,

warns of sharp increases in health-care costs for the nation’s body-slamming sufferers.

Costs associated with body slamming, such as X-rays to the elbow and other injured body parts, would

have to be paid for out of pocket under the G.O.P. plan, the report says.

In a separate finding, the report indicates that the Republican health-care bill’s vision-care option does not offer replacement eyewear in the case of glasses being smashed or otherwise demolished in an unprovoked body-slamming incident.

Finally, the report finds, the

G.O.P. plan offers no preventive treatment for the severely disturbed people who are the root causes of most body-slamming incidents.
“Medical studies have shown that the costs associated with body-slamming injuries could be

greatly reduced by putting the people who cause them in a place where they can do no harm to others,”

the report says.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/republican-health-care-plan-lacks-coverage-for-injuries-resulting-from-body-slamming (http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/republican-health-care-plan-lacks-coverage-for-injuries-resulting-from-body-slamming)

And once body slammed, BigInsurance considers you to have non-insurable medical condition, similar to having a vagina.

clambake
05-25-2017, 05:28 PM
thats funny

Blake
05-25-2017, 05:35 PM
Who Is Greg Gianforte? Background on Montana Republican Accused of Assault

A Supporter of Creationism

Mr. Gianforte, who is originally from New Jersey, has been a supporter of creationism and was attacked during the governor’s race for seeming to question the theory of evolution (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/19/dinosaurs-roar-into-montana-governor-race-with-new-ad.html).

He has been a major benefactor of the Glendive Dinosaur and Fossil Museum, which explains the age of the dinosaurs in biblical terms (http://billingsgazette.com/news/features/magazine/dinosaur-museum-presents-biblical-view-of-origins/article_1c9ac218-bab0-11de-84f1-001cc4c002e0.html). :lol

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/25/us/greg-gianforte-facts.html

Just another billionaire prick with more money than brains.

Of course he's a Christian. It's what Jesus would do

TeyshaBlue
05-25-2017, 05:44 PM
remember when that canadian mayor was the craziest motherfucker in north american politics?

republicans: hold my beer
Rob Ford! If only Chris Farley went into politics. :lol

hater
05-25-2017, 06:19 PM
Lol what a nutjob

Lol montana

Thread
05-25-2017, 11:53 PM
It's over. He mopped the fuckin' floor with that Quist faggot.

Reck
05-25-2017, 11:54 PM

I thought you self banned?

baseline bum
05-26-2017, 12:32 AM
Well that was a bust

monosylab1k
05-26-2017, 12:48 AM

And you can dish it, but you can't take it.

Reck
05-26-2017, 01:00 AM
Well that was a bust

Montana has a retarded law where pretty much the bulk of voting has to be done via mail. Last night's incident had no impact in the least.

I'm more interested in the Georgia special election anyways. Ossoff looks poised to take that running.

Trainwreck2100
05-26-2017, 01:59 AM
I'm happy he won only cause that moron from the guardian doesn't know what a body slam is.

SnakeBoy
05-26-2017, 02:42 AM
lol The Resistance couldn't even give this idiot a run for his money.

Thread
05-26-2017, 03:36 AM
I thought you self banned?

I did. Then you fucked up in California.

Thread
05-26-2017, 03:58 AM
Montana has a retarded law where pretty much the bulk of voting has to be done via mail. Last night's incident had no impact in the least.

I'm more interested in the Georgia special election anyways. Ossoff looks poised to take that running.

But, Media wanted that one last night. The whole thing was a set up Wednesday nite. Nary a peep was spoken about this race outside of MT. until they got the response Wednesday then it was a full court press to not change the votes, but, to energize Dems there and tamp down Repugs there. Shame them into staying home. It didn't work. People were GENUINELY pleased to see that fuck slammed like that. (We) have wanted to do that all our lives. We lived thru & climbed into this man's rage tree.

Now, they've been sending out polls ahead of the line for weeks down in GA.. Keeping it on the down low though. Keeping it calm and sneaking around whispering to get out the vote, don't aggravate the Repugs, etc. I hope Trump goes down to Georgia like Charlie Daniels in that song, the Devil goes down to Georgia. Media fancies Trump as the Devil. I hope he goes down there ahead of election day and socks it to 'em, lays it on thick, helps that Repug mop the fuckin' floor with that Ossoff faggot.

P.S., Recky, the next time you're up by 23 in California like we were in Massachusetts in '08---------don't fuck it up. tee, hee.

Up 23 & let 'em take your cookie right offin' the kitchen table in broad daylight.

rmt
05-26-2017, 05:00 AM
What happened in California?

pgardn
05-26-2017, 07:34 AM

Is Chucho over?

pgardn
05-26-2017, 07:36 AM

Thread AND Avante.

Wrasslin was never the same.

boutons_deux
05-26-2017, 07:39 AM
Repugs now using MT mail-in ballot disaster to stop mail-in ballots as part of their strategy of voter suppression (forcing black Dem voters to take a day off work, go stand in line for hours, to vote on rigged machines whose output will be fraudulently counted)

DarrinS
05-26-2017, 08:23 AM
:lmao

Clipper Nation
05-26-2017, 08:24 AM
Wonder if he regrets tweeting this?

Thread
05-26-2017, 08:27 AM

- "Zaza!!!"

- Andy Garcia - "Godfather III"

Thread
05-26-2017, 08:29 AM
I'm happy he won only cause that moron from the guardian doesn't know what a body slam is.

Kinda like that sweetheart that got leg swept & slammed in that video you used to post, Wrecky. Remember?

DarrinS
05-26-2017, 08:56 AM
Trump's fault - CNN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI2JL7Z1Jn0

Adam Lambert
05-26-2017, 09:06 AM

why would he, snowflake?

Chucho
05-26-2017, 11:36 AM
Good lord. Can't win twice rigged elections. Can't win an election where a fucking carny repub body slams a fake-news reporter with an unqualified, overly scrutinized and loathed repub President's much ballyhooed impeachment still looming.

The Facist Left, their agenda, abhorrent policy and leadership is being flat out rejected and losing GIFT WRAPPED elections is just a cherry ontop of their shit sundae. Holy shit, considering the most expensive and largest propaganda/media department in recorded history, an army of indoctrinated, dumb-as-fuck youth committing terrorism and suppressing free speech and opposing views, they just can't do shit right.

- Can't win fixed elections
- Can't prove their crazy fuck-nut "RUSSIA!" conspiracies
- EVERY failure post 11.8.16 is because "TRUMP! *derp*", but NEVER the successes
- ABC's HEAVY social justice agenda pushing blowing the fuck up in their faces with ESPN and Marvel comics taking HUGE L's. It's soooo bad, they cancelled one of their top 3 shows. MILLIONS in revenue lost to push an agenda and it's going to end up uncancelled?!!? LOL.
- LOLeftist Elitist Celebrities with more political visibility than 90% of the DemoKKKrat leadership.

The Repubs and POTUS aren't great, but holy shit, the Facist Left is taking fucking Ls from a bottom-shelf, rocky-as-fuck Right Wing. And...that's because of Trump, right? NOTHING to do with shitty Fascist Left policy and tactics, right? LOeffinL.

monosylab1k
05-26-2017, 11:36 AM

:lmao yeah he really regrets showing the restraint to not hit somebody.

boutons_deux
05-26-2017, 12:10 PM
Montana Congressional Candidate Greg Gianforte Has Close Ties with Extremist Pastor

Douglas Wilson, an Idaho pastor who once wrote, “one could argue that

the black family has never been stronger than it was under slavery (http://reformed-theology.org/html/books/slavery/southern_slavery_as_it_was.htm),”

and maintains (https://books.google.com/books?id=dme7-8lxiGUC&pg=PA37&lpg=PA37&dq=douglas+wilson+created+to+be+responsive+and+dep endent+to+a+man&source=bl&ots=8P6BAq-r0-&sig=sYUp4sWtWaYprDcQpZblQxFQdQY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiXkOf9_v_OAhVEdR4KHZe_BtAQ6AEITTAH#v=on epage&q=douglas%20wilson%20created%20to%20be%20responsiv e%20and%20dependent%20to%20a%20man&f=false) that

women are “created to be responsive and dependent to a man.”

Wilson and a co-author rewrote slavery’s violent history in a 1996 pamphlet called “Southern Slavery, As It Was.” They cite narratives that they claim show Southern slavery was “a life of plenty, of simple pleasures, of food, clothes, and good medical care,” and note that “one could argue that the black family has never been stronger than it was under slavery.”
In the same document, they claim “feminists, in rebellion against God, invert the order of the home established by God. They do so in a way that seeks to rob women of their beauty in submission.”

Defending the Confederacy as “right on all the essential constitutional and cultural issues surrounding the war,” Wilson has distinguished (https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:pFuoowbvjFQJ:https://www.au.org/blogs/wall-of-separation/chucking-democracy-colson-headlines-paleo-confederates-conference-in+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us) himself from neo-Confederates in this way:

“I would define a neo-Confederate as someone who thinks we are still fighting that war. Instead, I would say we’re fighting in a long war, and that [the Civil War] was one battle that we lost.”

He also declared his support (https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:pFuoowbvjFQJ:https://www.au.org/blogs/wall-of-separation/chucking-democracy-colson-headlines-paleo-confederates-conference-in+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us) for “execution for adultery” and the “exile” of “some homosexuals,” claiming that “sodomy is worse than slavery (https://archive.is/psFdE).”

On women and sexual violence, Wilson said (https://dougwils.com/s7-engaging-the-culture/110222.html) that women who refuse to walk with a male escort are complicit in their own rapes: “One consequence of rejecting the protection of good men is that you are opening yourself up to the predations of bad men.”

A man penetrates, conquers, colonizes, plants. A woman receives, surrenders, accepts. This is of course offensive to all egalitarians, and so our culture has rebelled against the concept of authority and submission in marriage. This means that we have sought to suppress the concepts of authority and submission as they relate to the marriage bed.

Rather than reject a right-wing activist propagating such extreme views on slavery, women, and homosexuality, Gianforte seems content with praising and funding (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/greg-gianforte-douglas-wilson-montana_us_57d19d76e4b03d2d45991adc) his endeavors.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/montana-congressional-candidate-greg-gianforte-has-close-ties-with-extremist-pastor/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=botb&utm_campaign=rightwingwatch

white male supremacy, racism, violent misogyny.

marital rape is not Biblical-ly possible, husband simply cannot rape his wife.

He owns her body to do with and when he pleases.

iow, just your typical Repug policies, explicit, or dog whistled to Repug white male Christian alpha dog wannbes.

rjv
05-26-2017, 01:04 PM
can N Korea practice their long range missiles on montana?

baseline bum
05-26-2017, 01:16 PM
can N Korea practice their long range missiles on montana?

No way, Montana has some of the best hiking in the US. The Beartooths are incredible.

rjv
05-26-2017, 01:19 PM
No way, Montana has some of the best hiking in the US. The Beartooths are incredible. well, there's that.

boutons_deux
05-26-2017, 01:25 PM
No way, Montana has some of the best hiking in the US. The Beartooths are incredible.

Paraphrasing the old saying about the French, "The only problem with Montana is the Montanans" (or Texans, or any red/slave state)

SnakeBoy
05-26-2017, 03:00 PM
Paraphrasing the old saying about the French, "The only problem with Montana is the Montanans" (or Texans, or any red/slave state)

Where are you from boutons?

Reck
05-26-2017, 03:08 PM

The resistence is not involved in places like Montana. It's like going to Alabama and trying to win a republican seat. :lol

I'll see you in June 20th though.

Clipper Nation
05-26-2017, 05:44 PM
"The Resistance"

http://i.imgur.com/OHuUGOC.jpg

Adam Lambert
05-27-2017, 09:56 AM
the simple solution is for reporters to start carrying concealed handguns to any interview with a republican politician in case theyre attacked.

Thread
05-27-2017, 10:03 AM
I'll see you in June 20th though.

She's gonna mop the floor with his faggot ass.

Reck
05-27-2017, 10:17 AM
She's gonna mop the floor with his faggot ass.

Hah. The odds aren't in your favor.

I bet you won't show your face that day.

Thread
05-27-2017, 11:19 AM
Hah. The odds aren't in your favor.

I bet you won't show your face that day.

ELE. She wins you leave. She loses I leave.

Reck
05-27-2017, 12:17 PM

Fine.

TSA
05-27-2017, 12:24 PM

Reck is a confirmed Welsher. Your bet is moot.

Thread
05-27-2017, 12:25 PM

Bend over. I'll show you moot.

baseline bum
05-27-2017, 12:29 PM

It's ok, cubby is a chickenshit too.

Reck
05-27-2017, 12:32 PM
Bend over. I'll show you moot.

:lol TSA gets owned again.

I dont honor bets to jokes like TSA. Thread is an OK dude, so we're good.

If you win, I'll honor it.

Chucho
05-27-2017, 12:36 PM
:lol TSA gets owned again.

I dont honor bets to jokes like TSA. Thread is an OK dude, so we're good.

If you win, I'll honor it.

LOL. Sandbagging off of Dale to downplay your welching...yah, yah, Im DMC or whatever, but youre a welch.

What a faggot.

Reck
05-27-2017, 12:40 PM
LOL. Sandbagging off of Dale to downplay your welching...yah, yah, Im DMC or whatever, but youre a welch.

What a faggot.

Do you get a google alert everytime TSA gets brought up? I swear your faggy ass always shows up to semen shield whenever TSA is getting shit on. :lmao

TSA
05-27-2017, 12:44 PM
It's ok, cubby is a chickenshit too.

:lol true.

Are there any active welchers still posting besides Reck?

Reck
05-27-2017, 12:46 PM
:lol true.

Are there any active welchers still posting besides Reck?

You, for one.

djohn2oo8 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=14870) destroyed you and you're still posting here. Why?

RandomGuy
06-02-2017, 11:43 AM

This idiot polled more than 10% worse than Trump's performance.

If that doesn't worry you, I'm not telling you why its significant. It will be more of surprise for you.

RandomGuy
06-02-2017, 11:47 AM
These republicans are nothing but thugs. They're running a mafia like organization.

7uIAzSuSC1Y

One has to wonder.

The silence on the right on this is deafening.

If a Democrat had done this, they would be screaming bloody fucking murder.

RandomGuy
06-02-2017, 11:56 AM
Good lord. Can't win twice rigged elections. Can't win an election where a fucking carny repub body slams a fake-news reporter with an unqualified, overly scrutinized and loathed repub President's much ballyhooed impeachment still looming.

The Facist Left, their agenda, abhorrent policy and leadership is being flat out rejected and losing GIFT WRAPPED elections is just a cherry ontop of their shit sundae. Holy shit, considering the most expensive and largest propaganda/media department in recorded history, an army of indoctrinated, dumb-as-fuck youth committing terrorism and suppressing free speech and opposing views, they just can't do shit right.

- Can't win fixed elections
- Can't prove their crazy fuck-nut "RUSSIA!" conspiracies
- EVERY failure post 11.8.16 is because "TRUMP! *derp*", but NEVER the successes
- ABC's HEAVY social justice agenda pushing blowing the fuck up in their faces with ESPN and Marvel comics taking HUGE L's. It's soooo bad, they cancelled one of their top 3 shows. MILLIONS in revenue lost to push an agenda and it's going to end up uncancelled?!!? LOL.
- LOLeftist Elitist Celebrities with more political visibility than 90% of the DemoKKKrat leadership.

The Repubs and POTUS aren't great, but holy shit, the Facist Left is taking fucking Ls from a bottom-shelf, rocky-as-fuck Right Wing. And...that's because of Trump, right? NOTHING to do with shitty Fascist Left policy and tactics, right? LOeffinL.

Montana has voted for democrats for president twice in the last 50 years, this wasn't "gift-wrapped", and given the nature of the election in that state, and the late timing, wasn't overly surprising.

The thing you should be saying is that this guy doesn't really deserve to be elected. That is what a decent person might say about someone who ignored civilized norms and wants to be a political leader.

What I find rather shocking is that there has been every opportunity for anybody on this board who considers themselves to be a Republican or right-ish to at least mildly condemn this guy, yet there has been nothing.

What does that say about the moral authority of the Republican party?

TSA
06-02-2017, 11:57 AM

If that doesn't worry you, I'm not telling you why its significant. It will be more of surprise for you.

Tell me why it's important in Montana and then tell me why conservative Montana farmers still vote Democrat.

RandomGuy
06-02-2017, 11:59 AM
Tell me why it's important in Montana and then tell me why conservative Montana farmers still vote Democrat.

I said I'm not spoiling it for him. or for you for that matter. :lol

TSA
06-02-2017, 11:59 AM
Montana has voted for democrats for president twice in the last 50 years, this wasn't "gift-wrapped", and given the nature of the election in that state, and the late timing, wasn't overly surprising.

The thing you should be saying is that this guy doesn't really deserve to be elected. That is what a decent person might say about someone who ignored civilized norms and wants to be a political leader.

What I find rather shocking is that there has been every opportunity for anybody who considers themselves to be a Republican or right-ish to at least mildly condemn this guy, yet there has been nothing.

You have no high ground to question anyone's moral authority after the shit the DNC pulled on Bernie :lol

RandomGuy
06-02-2017, 12:05 PM
[fails to condemn Giafante]

Someone else being morally deficient does not mean you have to be.

You deciding not to do the ethical thing is entirely your choice, not anyone else's.

My 11 year old understands this. Just sayin'

TSA
06-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Someone else being morally deficient does not mean you have to be.

You deciding not to do the ethical thing is entirely your choice, not anyone else's.

My 11 year old understands this. Just sayin':lol I, TSA, condemn Gianfante.

Do you, RandomGuy, condemn the DNC for their actions during the primaries?

RandomGuy
06-02-2017, 12:31 PM
“I am sorry for your problem. Have you thought about buying supplies with money that you earn?”

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/lawmaker-belittles-mom-asked-kid-medical-bill-article-1.2692426

RandomGuy
06-02-2017, 12:33 PM
:lol I, TSA, condemn Gianfante.

Do you, RandomGuy, condemn the DNC for their actions during the primaries?

I seem to remember doing so already, but sure I think that what they did was shitty.

It is in the same general ballpark as the shitty voter suppression the Republicans do all the time.

I would vastly prefer that the Democrats take the high-road as much as possible, because it makes outlining the difference between a partially morally bankrupt party and a completely morally bankrupt party a lot easier for the morons who think the two parties are equivalent.

RandomGuy
06-02-2017, 12:36 PM
While Nichols is a stay-at-home mom, her husband works two jobs to provide for their family of four.

Still, they quality for the Children’s Health Insurance Program — also called Children’s Medicaid — which has helped cover the cost of medical supplies for little Bella for the past three years. The 8-year-old has long suffered from Type 1 diabetes, which requires her to take daily insulin.

But Nichols said the in-network company she has long used to get insulin and other supplies for Bella recently outsourced their operation to another company — which is not in the Medicaid network.

Mississippi Representative Jeffrey S. Guice asked the concerned mom, "Have you ever thought about buying supplies with money you earn?"

That left the family paying $2,000 out of pocket for their daughter’s life-sustaining medical supplies.

Nichols called 23 suppliers in an attempt to find one covered by Medicaid and in the approved network, but had no luck.

Frustrated by the lack of options, Nichols emailed all 122 state representatives Monday.

"Is there someone in the legislature that can and will help these children stay healthy? They must have these medications and supplies which administer the medications to stay healthy and, quite honestly, alive!” she wrote.

Only three lawmakers wrote back, she said. Two were sympathetic and supportive — and then there was Guice's response

TSA
06-02-2017, 12:45 PM
I seem to remember doing so already, but sure I think that what they did was shitty.

It is in the same general ballpark as the shitty voter suppression the Republicans do all the time.

I would vastly prefer that the Democrats take the high-road as much as possible, because it makes outlining the difference between a partially morally bankrupt party and a completely morally bankrupt party a lot easier for the morons who think the two parties are equivalent.

I didn't vote for Gianfante. Did you vote for Hillary?

TSA
06-02-2017, 12:49 PM

Are you going to share your Montana insider knowledge or what? I think you are missing something if you think this last congressional race was indicative of how they'll vote in 2020.

Chucho
06-02-2017, 12:53 PM

What I find rather shocking is that there has been every opportunity for anybody on this board who considers themselves to be a Republican or right-ish to at least mildly condemn this guy, yet there has been nothing.

LOL.

The same can be said about Fagcist Leftists on ST too, regarding:

Rioting
Violence
Kathy Griffin
Benghazi
Bernie the Cuck Conspirator
Straight repression and denial of free exchange of ideas and opinions on college campuses
The sheer lunacy on campus colleges right now

Sounds like grasping and the 10:1 ratio that is becoming statistical fact in regards to what Leftists selectively ignore when pointing out an issue on the Right.

Not that morality had anything to do with my post, but relevancy to an argument matters not when you just have to stay behind your partisan line. But love the fact that the morality police still don't understand why they are taking Ls more consistently than the 6ers over the last 2 years.

Y'all losing and you're really, really, really reaching to prop up your side. Gotta do better than sticks and a whole bunch of nothing to prop up such a sagging foundation. Fascist Leftism is just a major turnoff to the majority of the country, especially when you try and play moral police with flawed and hypocritical logic.

TSA
06-02-2017, 02:51 PM
LOL.

The same can be said about Fagcist Leftists on ST too, regarding:

Rioting
Violence
Kathy Griffin
Benghazi
Bernie the Cuck Conspirator
Straight repression and denial of free exchange of ideas and opinions on college campuses
The sheer lunacy on campus colleges right now

Sounds like grasping and the 10:1 ratio that is becoming statistical fact in regards to what Leftists selectively ignore when pointing out an issue on the Right.

Not that morality had anything to do with my post, but relevancy to an argument matters not when you just have to stay behind your partisan line. But love the fact that the morality police still don't understand why they are taking Ls more consistently than the 6ers over the last 2 years.

Y'all losing and you're really, really, really reaching to prop up your side. Gotta do better than sticks and a whole bunch of nothing to prop up such a sagging foundation. Fascist Leftism is just a major turnoff to the majority of the country, especially when you try and play moral police with flawed and hypocritical logic.

Wake up, liberals: There will be no 2018 “blue wave,” no Democratic majority and no impeachment

http://www.salon.com/2017/05/27/wake-up-liberals-there-will-be-no-2018-blue-wave-no-democratic-majority-and-no-impeachment/

RandomGuy
06-02-2017, 02:59 PM
Wake up, liberals: There will be no 2018 “blue wave,” no Democratic majority and no impeachment

http://www.salon.com/2017/05/27/wake-up-liberals-there-will-be-no-2018-blue-wave-no-democratic-majority-and-no-impeachment/

It’s worth making two salient structural points that I think are beyond dispute, and then a larger, more contentious one. As my former boss David Daley has documented extensively, both on Salon and in his book “Ratfucked,” the extreme and ingenious gerrymandering of congressional districts locked in by Republican state legislators after the 2010 census virtually guarantees a GOP House majority until the next census and at least the 2022 midterms. Yes, the widely-hated health care law might put a few Republican seats in play that weren’t before. But the number of genuine “swing” districts is vanishingly small, and it would require a Democratic wave of truly historic dimensions to overcome the baked-in GOP advantage.

spurraider21
06-02-2017, 03:10 PM
I didn't vote for Gianfante. Did you vote for Hillary?was it legally possible for you to vote for giafante?

TSA
06-02-2017, 03:32 PM
was it legally possible for you to vote for giafante?

Do you always ask stupid questions you know the answer to?

I want to know if RandomGuy condemned the DNC for fucking Bernie and then turned right around and voted for Hillary.

DMC
06-02-2017, 03:37 PM
Do you always ask stupid questions you know the answer to?

I want to know if RandomGuy condemned the DNC for fucking Bernie and then turned right around and voted for Hillary.

Of course he did.

You know how that level of condemnation goes "yeah, I hope she straightens up and the DNC gets it together" ...

Enter Philo claiming no one actually said that, or challenging me to provide the actual post with that quote else I must retract it.

SnakeBoy
06-03-2017, 02:32 AM

Good article but lol @ those angry comments. How dare a progressive write an article accurately describing the current state of the Democratic party.

ElNono
06-03-2017, 03:18 AM
Good article but lol @ those angry comments. How dare a progressive write an article accurately describing the current state of the Democratic party.

I dunno about 'blue wave', but being perceived as the anti-Trump party matters (just like it mattered to be the anti-Obama party for GOP voters). Incumbency always has a cost, tbh.

The real question is, will it be enough? Because they certainly don't have much else going for them, and parading Shillary again sure ain't going to work.

boutons_deux
06-05-2017, 10:57 AM
Media Consolidation Is a Threat to Democracy

Montana recently held a congressional election, pitting a Republican businessman, Greg Gianforte, against a Democrat folk singer, Rob Quist. The day before the election, the businessman body-slammed Guardian reporter Ben Jacobs, and this was caught on audio tape.

A much-watched Montana television station, KECI, refused to run the story (http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/05/montana-nbc-affiliate-refused-to-cover-gianforte-body-slam.html) about the incident.

the refusal by KECI to report this crime was unquestionably a journalistic failure. It may come as a surprise, but

many Montanans rely upon local broadcast television for their news about Montana

, and this news sometimes informs their choices in the voting booth. This is true of the vast majority of Americans (http://www.journalism.org/2016/07/07/pathways-to-news/) as well.

Yes, broadcasting still matters. KECI was recently purchased by the Sinclair Broadcast Group (http://sbgi.net/).

But what is Sinclair, and why should we care?

Sinclair is a Maryland-based media conglomerate that now owns 173 TV stations in 81 cities across the nation.

It has long been a major contributor to political campaigns with a strong preference (http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000029062&cycle=A) for Republican candidates and a history of supporting right-wing causes.

In 2007, the FCC fined Sinclair for what it called “payola punditry” (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-10-18-2824427207_x.htm) related to conservative talk show host Armstrong Williams.

In December, Politico reported (http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/trump-campaign-sinclair-broadcasting-jared-kushner-232764) that Trump’s son-in-law,

Jared Kushner, claimed to strike a deal with Sinclair.

According to that report, “Kushner highlighted that Sinclair, in states like Ohio, reaches a much wider audience—around 250,000 listeners—than networks like CNN, which reach somewhere around 30,000.”

Shortly after the Republicans took over the White House and increased their power in Congress and the Supreme Court, the

Trump-appointed FCC chair, Ajit Pai, apparently sent a green light to Sinclair (https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-03-27/possible-tribune-suitor-sinclair-woos-fcc-s-pai-on-regulations) regarding its plans to take control of Tribune Media (http://www.tribunemedia.com/).

And in April, the FCC, newly dominated by Republicans, voted to

bring back an old media consolidation loophole called the UHF discount (https://www.fcc.gov/document/reinstatement-uhf-discount) (relevant when all TV stations were still broadcasting analog signals) that allows broadcasters like Sinclair to exceed congressionally mandated national TV audience coverage limits.

Pai’s reinstatement of this old rule is being challenged in court (http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/104108/groups-file-to-block-return-of-uhf-discount) by the Institute of Public Representation, but make no mistake about it—broadcast media consolidation is once again heating up, and we should all be very, very worried.

In May 2017, Sinclair announced a deal (http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/sinclair-tribune-merger-station-group-1202416416/) to add 42 TV stations to its empire by purchasing Tribune Media. This would give Sinclair stations in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, Denver and several other top-20 markets.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/media_consolidation_is_a_threat_to_democracy_20170 601

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribune_Media

Thread
06-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Media Consolidation Is a Threat to Democracy

Montana recently held a congressional election, pitting a Republican businessman, Greg Gianforte, against a Democrat folk singer, Rob Quist. The day before the election, the businessman body-slammed Guardian reporter Ben Jacobs, and this was caught on audio tape.

A much-watched Montana television station, KECI, refused to run the story (http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/05/montana-nbc-affiliate-refused-to-cover-gianforte-body-slam.html) about the incident.

the refusal by KECI to report this crime was unquestionably a journalistic failure. It may come as a surprise, but

many Montanans rely upon local broadcast television for their news about Montana

, and this news sometimes informs their choices in the voting booth. This is true of the vast majority of Americans (http://www.journalism.org/2016/07/07/pathways-to-news/) as well.

Yes, broadcasting still matters. KECI was recently purchased by the Sinclair Broadcast Group (http://sbgi.net/).

But what is Sinclair, and why should we care?

Sinclair is a Maryland-based media conglomerate that now owns 173 TV stations in 81 cities across the nation.

It has long been a major contributor to political campaigns with a strong preference (http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000029062&cycle=A) for Republican candidates and a history of supporting right-wing causes.

In 2007, the FCC fined Sinclair for what it called “payola punditry” (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-10-18-2824427207_x.htm) related to conservative talk show host Armstrong Williams.

In December, Politico reported (http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/trump-campaign-sinclair-broadcasting-jared-kushner-232764) that Trump’s son-in-law,

Jared Kushner, claimed to strike a deal with Sinclair.

According to that report, “Kushner highlighted that Sinclair, in states like Ohio, reaches a much wider audience—around 250,000 listeners—than networks like CNN, which reach somewhere around 30,000.”

Shortly after the Republicans took over the White House and increased their power in Congress and the Supreme Court, the

Trump-appointed FCC chair, Ajit Pai, apparently sent a green light to Sinclair (https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-03-27/possible-tribune-suitor-sinclair-woos-fcc-s-pai-on-regulations) regarding its plans to take control of Tribune Media (http://www.tribunemedia.com/).

And in April, the FCC, newly dominated by Republicans, voted to

bring back an old media consolidation loophole called the UHF discount (https://www.fcc.gov/document/reinstatement-uhf-discount) (relevant when all TV stations were still broadcasting analog signals) that allows broadcasters like Sinclair to exceed congressionally mandated national TV audience coverage limits.

Pai’s reinstatement of this old rule is being challenged in court (http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/104108/groups-file-to-block-return-of-uhf-discount) by the Institute of Public Representation, but make no mistake about it—broadcast media consolidation is once again heating up, and we should all be very, very worried.

In May 2017, Sinclair announced a deal (http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/sinclair-tribune-merger-station-group-1202416416/) to add 42 TV stations to its empire by purchasing Tribune Media. This would give Sinclair stations in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, Denver and several other top-20 markets.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/media_consolidation_is_a_threat_to_democracy_20170 601

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribune_Media

Trump is handling it.

tee, hee.

boutons_deux
06-12-2017, 07:42 PM
New Poll Finds 42 Percent of Trump Voters Think It’s Appropriate to Bodyslam Reporters

http://www.mediaite.com/online/new-poll-finds-42-percent-of-trump-voters-think-its-appropriate-to-bodyslam-reporters/

:lol Americans The Beautifulest

TSA
06-20-2017, 08:31 PM
Reck how are your special election predictions going? :rollin

:lol blue wave

Reck
06-20-2017, 08:33 PM
Reck (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=14412) how are your special election predictions going? :rollin

:lol blue wave

Is it over?

baseline bum
06-20-2017, 08:37 PM
Is it over?

GA-6 definitely is

Clipper Nation
06-20-2017, 08:40 PM
:lol Democrats
:lol Blew a record $26.2 million in Soros money on one runoff election
:lol Still losing
:lol Even the Lakers spend more wisely than the Dems
:lol Democrats

SnakeBoy
06-20-2017, 09:34 PM

How long do we have to wait for the surprise?

Mitch
06-20-2017, 10:22 PM
Is it over?

It was over when Ossoff couldn't crack 50% the first time, Reck - we both know this :lol

Spurminator
06-20-2017, 10:26 PM
I donated $10 or something to Ossoff's campaign and started getting bombarded with about a dozen OMG WE'RE GOING TO LOSE PLEASE DONATE emails per day before I unsubscribed. I saw a HOLY SHIT THE POLLS ARE EVEN Facebook ad on my feed several times a day.

I don't live in Georgia but if his Radio and TV campaigns were anywhere near as annoying as his digital campaigns, I can only imagine how many people it turned off. Sometimes a lot of money can be a bad thing, especially if all you're doing is trying to solicit more money with it.

DarrinS
06-20-2017, 10:29 PM
I donated $10 or something to Ossoff's campaign and started getting bombarded with about a dozen OMG WE'RE GOING TO LOSE PLEASE DONATE emails per day before I unsubscribed. I saw a HOLY SHIT THE POLLS ARE EVEN Facebook ad on my feed several times a day.

I don't live in Georgia but if his Radio and TV campaigns were anywhere near as annoying as his digital campaigns, I can only imagine how many people it turned off. Sometimes a lot of money can be a bad thing, especially if all you're doing is trying to solicit more money with it.

You don't even live there and you donated? :lmao

SnakeBoy
06-20-2017, 10:30 PM
My liberal FB friends are trying to console themselves by looking at the positives. It's the political equivalent of "at least we were ahead before Kawhi got hurt". It's sad, I feel kinda bad for them until I remember that they were emotionally invested in a single congressional seat in a state they don't live in.

Spurminator
06-20-2017, 10:31 PM

Do you think that's uncommon?

Spurminator
06-20-2017, 10:33 PM

It's sad, I feel kinda bad for them until I remember that they were emotionally invested in a single congressional seat in a state they don't live in.

You guys know this was a seat for the United States House of Representatives, not the Georgia State Legislature right?

You do realize, I hope, that the US House develops legislation that affects people outside of their district, right?

baseline bum
06-20-2017, 10:36 PM

What's weird about that? He wasn't running for Georgia's house, he was running for the US house to create and vote on national legislation.

DarrinS
06-20-2017, 10:39 PM
What's weird about that? He wasn't running for Georgia's house, he was running for the US house to create and vote on national legislation.

Ok

Reck
06-20-2017, 10:57 PM
My liberal FB friends are trying to console themselves by looking at the positives. It's the political equivalent of "at least we were ahead before Kawhi got hurt". It's sad, I feel kinda bad for them until I remember that they were emotionally invested in a single congressional seat in a state they don't live in.

The dems done ran out of participation trophies. They ought to shut up now.

SnakeBoy
06-20-2017, 11:10 PM

lol Freshman congressmen don't create shit and that one vote wasn't going to change anything. Liberals were acting like this was going to be the equivalent of the Tea Party getting Scott Brown elected. Proof that Duh Resistance was on the right track.

TSA
06-20-2017, 11:12 PM
It was over when Ossoff couldn't crack 50% the first time, Reck - we both know this :lol

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCzyn3ZVwAAceqS.jpg
Reck are you having election night flashbacks? :lol

TSA
06-20-2017, 11:13 PM
http://i.magaimg.net/img/sv3.jpg

Thread
06-20-2017, 11:15 PM
^The two broads and that chubby screwball on the left. I hate them. Agitators, especially that Gloria Borgers (second from the left).

Thread
06-20-2017, 11:17 PM
Big Daddy Trump:::

He'd fit right in on this Board. Can you imagine it?:lol

baseline bum
06-20-2017, 11:24 PM
lol Freshman congressmen don't create shit and that one vote wasn't going to change anything. Liberals were acting like this was going to be the equivalent of the Tea Party getting Scott Brown elected. Proof that Duh Resistance was on the right track.

Trumpcare got by on a lousy two votes.

SnakeBoy
06-20-2017, 11:26 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCzyn3ZVwAAceqS.jpg
Reck are you having election night flashbacks? :lol

ducks
06-20-2017, 11:27 PM
Every vote in D.C. Counts as divided this country is