PDA

View Full Version : (Spurs Offseason) Hypothetical but somewhat realistic moves - CP3 & Melo

tmtcsc
05-27-2017, 08:25 PM
There is a very real possibility that Carmelo Anthony gets bought out by the Knicks. He is holding them hostage with his no-trade clause and its become a test of wills between him and Phil. He clearly isn't part of their plans. Also, he has a 15% trade kicker. If he gets bought out, Carmelo could go to a team of his choosing and only ask for the vet minimum. What better destination and chance to play with CP3 who is one of his best players.

If San Antonio and Chris Paul happens, look out. Although I'm not a fan of Carmelo's, getting him for the minimum is a no-brainer. Check out the lineup possibilities:

* Ages will be at start of new season -

1. CP3 (32 yrs old) PG
2. Kawhi Leonard SG 26 years old
3. Carmelo Anthony SF (32 yrs old)
4. Lamarcus Aldridge PF (32 yrs old)
5. Some Center stiff to be named later? Just Rebound and set picks

Bench:

1. Dejounte Murray PG (21 years old)
2. Danny Green SG (30 years old)
3. Jonathan Simmons SF (28 years old)
4. Davis Bertans / Kyle Anderson PF (25 yrs old / 24 years old)
5. David Lee ? (34 years old)

End of Bench:

1. Bryn Forbes (24 years old)
2. Min. Player
3. Min. Player

A few assumptions to be made here - Patty leaves via FA, Dedmon leaves via FA, Pau is traded (Knicks or Lakers?) and Manu retires (he might want to come back at min. for this opportunity though) - Spurs will have veteran leadership with CP3 and wouldn't pay Manu what he got this year. TP is either traded or retires and Spurs use the stretch provision. Danny Green might need to be moved but it would be great to have him off the bench.

1. This has real possibilities.
2. No, I'm not high
3. Yes, I might throw up seeing Melo in a Spurs uni. - However, the offense Pop ran this year could work with him when KL2 is on the bench. No more doubling Aldridge.

NASpurs
05-27-2017, 08:37 PM
Just to play along, I would have:

1. CP3
2. Green
3. Melo or Kawhi
4. Kawhi or Melo
5. LMA

Stand
05-27-2017, 08:50 PM
You are dreaming if you think Melo is taking the minimum anywhere outside of possibly Cleveland.

Chinook
05-27-2017, 08:55 PM
Fuck getting Melo unless you get rid of LMA and Pau. Fuck getting Paul and Melo. The Spurs don't need a bunch of ISO guys or a ball-hog like Paul.

Russ
05-27-2017, 08:59 PM
How do you defend the Warriors with CP3 and Melo added to the group?

raybies
05-27-2017, 08:59 PM
Fuck getting Melo unless you get rid of LMA and Pau. Fuck getting Paul and Melo. The Spurs don't need a bunch of ISO guys or a ball-hog like Paul.

love how you articulated that. couldn't of said it better myself

BillMc
05-27-2017, 09:04 PM
If the Cavs get swept or are not competitive in the Finals, and Melo is indeed bought out, I bet he joins Cavs, so he can claim he's the difference maker if they win the following year. Kind of Durant like (no way Durant is a Dub if Warriors won last year.)

Don't want him on the Spurs.

Uriel
05-27-2017, 09:11 PM
Won't we have to get rid of Green as well to make the numbers work?

raybies
05-27-2017, 09:14 PM
it would be the end of the Spurs as we know it... my thoughts

Russ
05-27-2017, 09:16 PM
it would be the end of the Spurs as we know it... my thoughts

With LMA, Melo and CP3, it might also be the end of Pop. :lol

tmtcsc
05-27-2017, 09:34 PM
You are dreaming if you think Melo is taking the minimum anywhere outside of possibly Cleveland.

Why do you say that? Similar to Finley, NY would be fronting the bill for him. Aren't he and Chris close?

tmtcsc
05-27-2017, 09:36 PM
Won't we have to get rid of Green as well to make the numbers work?

I'm not sure. I don't know what Paul would want in salary. I know he's already made approximately 160 Million in his career already. Unfortunately, he's never been past the second round.

tmtcsc
05-27-2017, 09:37 PM
If the Cavs get swept or are not competitive in the Finals, and Melo is indeed bought out, I bet he joins Cavs, so he can claim he's the difference maker if they win the following year. Kind of Durant like (no way Durant is a Dub if Warriors won last year.)

Don't want him on the Spurs.

I think the Cavs are going to win in less than 7.

tmtcsc
05-27-2017, 09:39 PM

Chris Paul isn't a ball-hog, he's one of the best true pg's in the league. I'm not a fan of his on-court antics but he definitely wants to win. The Spurs could use more players who are hungry for a Championship.

tmtcsc
05-27-2017, 09:47 PM
With LMA, Melo and CP3, it might also be the end of Pop. :lol

Why? TP isn't coming back and we all saw what happened when the team lost Kawhi. No one but Manu could help create shots on offense. The Spurs were done. The team needs more players who either create shots for themselves or for others. We all saw what happened to Aldridge when he got doubled. He can't handle them.

The team needs more scoring and CP3 is key to all of that. Bring in Melo and you create even more possibilities for points. What would they really be losing?:

Gone -> Patty Mills, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Pau Gasol & Dwayne Dedmon. Possibly Green and or Anderson. Are all those guys irreplaceable at this point?

cjw
05-27-2017, 09:49 PM
Melo is not getting bought out. Two years left at over $25mm per year. I don't really blame him for his discontentment - heck, KP is pissed too. Management ranges from inept to uninvolved and just bank on suits buying up seats each year without caring about the product on the floor. Noah? Rose? Afflalo (last year)? List goes on of washed up names they bring on board hoping to sell tickets.

Play Boban
05-27-2017, 09:54 PM
I'd rather us get Gordon Hayward tbh.

tmtcsc
05-27-2017, 09:56 PM
Melo is not getting bought out. Two years left at over $25mm per year. I don't really blame him for his discontentment - heck, KP is pissed too. Management ranges from inept to uninvolved and just bank on suits buying up seats each year without caring about the product on the floor. Noah? Rose? Afflalo (last year)? List goes on of washed up names they bring on board hoping to sell tickets.

That's a whole other issue but I agree about the franchise. Phil is the one who needs to go. He has been extremely unprofessional with his treatment of Melo and inept at his job.

cjw
05-27-2017, 10:03 PM
That's a whole other issue but I agree about the franchise. Phil is the one who needs to go. He has been extremely unprofessional with his treatment of Melo and inept at his job.

I'm sure some people were there at the Spurs MSG game this year, but what a joke it was (besides the Spurs losing after clubbing all night). Game after the Oakley incident and James Dolan surrounded himself with literally every also ran that's ever played for the Knicks and plastered them on the Jumbotron. I almost felt sorry for Knicks fans by the end of the afternoon, but they're delirious anyway.

TheGreatYacht
05-28-2017, 02:20 AM
Would trade Green to make room for either

John B
05-28-2017, 08:34 AM
With CP3 in, I can't imagine who other ring chasers will come here. I'm hoping Davis when his contract expires

RD2191
05-28-2017, 09:07 AM
:lol

rasuo214
05-28-2017, 09:21 AM
That has potential disaster written all over it.

Spursfanfromafar
05-28-2017, 10:49 AM
I would try to get Paul George by trading LMA if the Spurs are chasing pipedreams.

DPG21920
05-28-2017, 10:51 AM
I would try to get Paul George by trading LMA if the Spurs are chasing pipedreams.

PG is damn good player but there is no way IMO PG goes to a team where everyone knows he's second fiddle. He's already shown disdain for Kawhi and he certainly won't go to a team with Kawhi and everyone now knowing Kawhi is the man.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-28-2017, 10:51 AM
Please.

Melo = NO
TP = won't retire

Spursfanfromafar
05-28-2017, 11:04 AM
PG is damn good player but there is no way IMO PG goes to a team where everyone knows he's second fiddle. He's already shown disdain for Kawhi and he certainly won't go to a team with Kawhi and everyone now knowing Kawhi is the man.

I know. And that's why it's a pipedream.

Ice009
05-28-2017, 11:33 AM

I don't recall PG having any disdain towards Kawhi. What has he said?

poop
05-28-2017, 01:32 PM
Melo = DO NOT WANT