PDA

View Full Version : The Quadruple Double Controversy That Nobody Talks About (Video)

Thomas82
05-29-2017, 06:55 AM
Here's a video that a friend shared with me about Tim Duncan's monster Game 6 of the 2003 NBA Finals, which talks about the other 2 blocks that he should have received credit for. This was a good piece, but the audio was bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQTSXD6lQtg

SASdynasty!
05-29-2017, 09:07 AM
Yep, I've looked into this pretty extensively. He should for sure have credit for 9. The 10th was a block he shared with DRob, who they credited it to but a case could be made that Duncan made contact first. I'll have to dig for it, but there is pretty HQ footage of that particular block somewhere (from a different angle I believe).

Essentially it comes down to statisticians screwing him and the league not reviewing it and crediting it. Not that we haven't been screwed by clock operators, etc before tbh.

DD
05-29-2017, 11:11 AM
let it go

Play Boban
05-29-2017, 11:42 AM
:cry

TimDunkem
05-29-2017, 12:19 PM
let it go

DMC
05-29-2017, 12:25 PM
Then you'll need to go through every playoff game, every RS game for any player who ever got close to see if getting one is even a big deal.

GSH
05-29-2017, 12:30 PM
It was a controversy 14 years ago. Maybe the next season. But now?

Thomas82
05-29-2017, 01:05 PM
let it go

This was a video shared with me by a friend of mine.....all I was doing is passing it along.

Spurtacular
05-29-2017, 02:44 PM
NBA should officially amend this given its historical significance.

Thomas82
05-29-2017, 03:50 PM
NBA should officially amend this given its historical significance.

+1

GSH
05-29-2017, 03:58 PM
This was a video shared with me by a friend of mine.....all I was doing is passing it along.

Fair enough. I'm sure there are people here who never heard about that footnote.

It happens. I watched Hakeem get screwed out of a quad, so it's not limited to Tim. The official scorers get things wrong all the time. If they only needed to adjust the official line by one block, then maybe they would have considered making that change. But if they adjust by two, everyone other than Spurs' fans would have gone nuts. I said at the time it happened that there was zero percent chance that the league was going to over-rule the scorer.

It was still a MONSTER game, especially in the Finals. Tim was so good at putting the whole team on his back. I miss watching him.

UZER
05-29-2017, 04:12 PM
And at the same time, how 3/2s did Russ get from his hometown scorers?

How many games did he have exactly 10 assists, or 10 rebs?

polandprzem
05-29-2017, 05:07 PM
Yea long time ago when Internet was not so common I counted more then 8 - and it coming out now? QL

that is nothing compared to what was going on on 70s. Many stats were not accurate tbh and some ppl are going through those games and making their own records on those games.

that's why IMO stats are only stats and do not measure what's important even with advanced stats now.
Every game is different vs different opponent vs different circumstances with minutes played and days of rest and sets of plays. Ex teams are avoiding to play agaist leonard cause he is a beast on defensive end

ElNono
05-29-2017, 05:27 PM
OP is talking about it

Play Boban
05-29-2017, 05:44 PM
:cry It still hurts. :cry

SpurPadre
05-29-2017, 05:57 PM
Ok, let's give this but only if he agrees to give his '05 Finals MVP to Manu, who deserved it more.

GSH
05-29-2017, 07:20 PM
Yea long time ago when Internet was not so common I counted more then 8 - and it coming out now? QL

that is nothing compared to what was going on on 70s. Many stats were not accurate tbh and some ppl are going through those games and making their own records on those games.

that's why IMO stats are only stats and do not measure what's important even with advanced stats now.
Every game is different vs different opponent vs different circumstances with minutes played and days of rest and sets of plays. Ex teams are avoiding to play agaist leonard cause he is a beast on defensive end

You don't post often, but you say a lot when you do. :tu

lefty20
05-29-2017, 08:06 PM
Ok, let's give this but only if he agrees to give his '05 Finals MVP to Manu, who deserved it more.
While we're at it, let's also fix the 07(Timmy) & 10 FMVP(Pau).

therealtruth
05-29-2017, 10:30 PM
Fair enough. I'm sure there are people here who never heard about that footnote.

It happens. I watched Hakeem get screwed out of a quad, so it's not limited to Tim. The official scorers get things wrong all the time. If they only needed to adjust the official line by one block, then maybe they would have considered making that change. But if they adjust by two, everyone other than Spurs' fans would have gone nuts. I said at the time it happened that there was zero percent chance that the league was going to over-rule the scorer.

It was still a MONSTER game, especially in the Finals. Tim was so good at putting the whole team on his back. I miss watching him.

Didn't Hakeem end up getting that quad a couple of games later?

Keepin' it real
05-30-2017, 12:04 AM
I'm outraged. And I'm not talking about fake social-media outrage. I mean REAL outrage.

Play Boban
05-30-2017, 12:37 AM
We should give Timmy Porker's undeserving 2007 FMVP while we're righting wrongs tbh. Talk about a complete screwup tbh... Porker wasn't even that good and was feasting on Boobie Gibson, who shouldn't have even had a roster spot in the NBA tbh. :lol

Ice009
05-30-2017, 08:31 AM

Manu did not deserve it more. At worst it could have been dual finals MVP, but no, Manu was not head and shoulders above Tim to say he was the sole MVP of the series. Tim was going up against one of the best defensive front courts in NBA history on two sprained ankles. He played great in game 5 (apart from the missed bunny at the end that could have won it in regulation) and got the Spurs back into game 7 after it looked like Detroit was going to blow the game open in the 3rd quarter. He got Detroit's bigs in foul trouble and got the Spurs the lead back which they never relinquished.

polandprzem
05-30-2017, 11:39 AM
You don't post often, but you say a lot when you do. :tu

hehe thx

I left this site when the mess was too much :)

Horse
05-30-2017, 12:31 PM
Those Motherfuckers!

therealtruth
05-30-2017, 07:37 PM
We should give Timmy Porker's undeserving 2007 FMVP while we're righting wrongs tbh. Talk about a complete screwup tbh... Porker wasn't even that good and was feasting on Boobie Gibson, who shouldn't have even had a roster spot in the NBA tbh. :lol

Don't forget a hobbled Larry Hughes. If Hughes had been healthy he would have shut TP down. He would have needed Vaughn to bail him out like Speedy Claxton before.

Manu did not deserve it more. At worst it could have been dual finals MVP, but no, Manu was not head and shoulders above Tim to say he was the sole MVP of the series. Tim was going up against one of the best defensive front courts in NBA history on two sprained ankles. He played great in game 5 (apart from the missed bunny at the end that could have won it in regulation) and got the Spurs back into game 7 after it looked like Detroit was going to blow the game open in the 3rd quarter. He got Detroit's bigs in foul trouble and got the Spurs the lead back which they never relinquished.

At best I think you could give Manu co-MVP but Tim went to work on sprained ankles against a frontcourt that limited Shaq the year before. I think if Manu had been more consistent in scoring in Detroit he might have had a chance.

SASdynasty!
05-31-2017, 08:00 AM
Haha what?! It would have been the 5th quadruple double of all time. And it would have come in a Finals closeout game. That will almost certainly never be done again.

SASdynasty!
05-31-2017, 08:03 AM
While we're at it, let's also fix the 07(Timmy) & 10 FMVP(Pau).
Lol, 07 Finals:

Parker: 25/5 on 57%
Duncan: 18/12 on 45%

SASdynasty!
05-31-2017, 08:04 AM
Lol, so which is it? Parker wasn't even that good or he was feasting on Gibson? Make up your mind and get back with me.

lefty20
05-31-2017, 02:16 PM
Lol, 07 Finals:

Sure we'll ignore the fact that one actually had to play defense as well, and did it quite well. While the other was going up against 2 D-League lvl players, both of whom were dealing ankle/foot injuries, iirc.

DaBears
05-31-2017, 03:55 PM
Here's a video that a friend shared with me about Tim Duncan's monster Game 6 of the 2003 NBA Finals, which talks about the other 2 blocks that he should have received credit for. This was a good piece, but the audio was bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQTSXD6lQtg

** If timmy D doesn't care about this why should we.. Its not our record that is missing... Let big TD enjoy his vaca and we should as well..

Thomas82
05-31-2017, 04:38 PM
** If timmy D doesn't care about this why should we.. Its not our record that is missing... Let big TD enjoy his vaca and we should as well..

I'll tell you the same thing I told another poster earlier.....a friend of mine shared this video with me and I was just passing it along.

SASdynasty!
05-31-2017, 05:17 PM
Sure we'll ignore the fact that one actually had to play defense as well, and did it quite well. While the other was going up against 2 D-League lvl players, both of whom were dealing ankle/foot injuries, iirc.
Hahaha yah Big-Z was such a force. What's sad is that Tim shot so poorly against him, while Parker shot lights out being guarded by Hughes, then Gibson, then Lebron.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-31-2017, 07:43 PM
Lol, 07 Finals:

Duncan had plantar issues that season, but yeah, Tony definitely was the FMVP. '05 FMVP could have (should have) gone to Ginobili if we really want to go there. '13 would have been Timmy's if the Spurs could have grabbed a rebound.

To someone else's point, however, I don't think Tim loses any sleep over any of this, nor do his teammates. I guess the fans do, though.

Play Boban
05-31-2017, 08:14 PM
:claw

therealtruth
05-31-2017, 11:41 PM
Lol, 07 Finals:

What's not mentioned. He was going against a hobbled Larry Hughes and Boobie Gibson.

TheGreatYacht
06-01-2017, 01:02 AM
Duncan 100% deserved the 2005 FMVP... Horry with a close second.

Phenomanul
06-02-2017, 11:20 PM
I for one would want to see the game line stats rectified... not that Duncan cares... maybe they should make it official during his HOF induction...

SASdynasty!
06-03-2017, 08:40 AM
What's not mentioned. He was going against a hobbled Larry Hughes and Boobie Gibson.
Go back and watch the series. They switched Lebron on to him 4 minutes into G1.

SASdynasty!
08-07-2017, 12:19 AM
Just found a hi-res slow-mo of Duncan's block that was recorded to Robinson. It's at 54:12 on the 2003 championship DVD. Add that to the clear block on Kittles that wasn't even recorded and it's a pretty indisputable quadruple double. Too bad the statisticians missed one of the greatest achievements in NBA history.

Skoobz
08-07-2017, 03:49 AM

:cry:cry:lol:lol