PDA

View Full Version : Amateur: Top 15 defenders in NBA history

ambchang
05-30-2017, 11:22 AM
http://www.goliath.com/sports/top-15-defenders-in-nba-history/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=outbrain&utm_campaign=GO_OBN_US_MOBI&cus_widget=007326843c41736a1fb5fbaa86855b77ca&utm_content=nba_premium_2017

Not entirely sure if it's meant to be in some order, but I find issues with the following players who made the list:
- Chris Paul
- Kobe Bryant
- Dwight Howard
- John Havlicek

Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Scottie Pippen, Bill Russell are four obvious omissions.

I can also make arguments for Dennis Johnson, Nate Thurmond, and Sidney Moncrief.

dylankerouac
05-30-2017, 11:46 AM
First part of that link starts with Goliath.com. Don't feed the trolls.

Mitch
05-30-2017, 12:41 PM
Take out #14 and the list improves a bit.

spurraider21
05-30-2017, 01:05 PM
Take out #14 and the list improves a bit.
you can do better than that

whitemamba
05-30-2017, 01:22 PM
http://www.goliath.com/sports/top-15-defenders-in-nba-history/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=outbrain&utm_campaign=GO_OBN_US_MOBI&cus_widget=007326843c41736a1fb5fbaa86855b77ca&utm_content=nba_premium_2017

Not entirely sure if it's meant to be in some order, but I find issues with the following players who made the list:
- Chris Paul
- Kobe Bryant
- Dwight Howard
- John Havlicek

Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Scottie Pippen, Bill Russell are four obvious omissions.

I can also make arguments for Dennis Johnson, Nate Thurmond, and Sidney Moncrief.

Didnt Kobe make first team all defense like 9 or 10 times, pretty respectable. Im not sure I put him ahead of Pippen though, im surprised scottie didnt make that list, He is easily better than Kawhi at this point of Kawhi's career, too young to be considered all time anything.Robinson got embarassed by Hakeem so badly, it ruined his rep as a defender, thats why he aint on that list. Remember this?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HJfqjczRmcY/VApECzE-hVI/AAAAAAAAJv4/yRqMOArsDgs/s1600/tumblr_mhxnddDXcy1renuivo1_500.gif

Mitch
05-30-2017, 01:26 PM
you can do better than that

The list could do better by taking out asperger boy.

spurraider21
05-30-2017, 01:31 PM
Didnt Kobe make first team all defense like 9 or 10 times, pretty respectable. Im not sure I put him ahead of Pippen though, im surprised scottie didnt make that list, He is easily better than Kawhi at this point of Kawhi's career, too young to be considered all time anything.Robinson got embarassed by Hakeem so badly, it ruined his rep as a defender, thats why he aint on that list. Remember this?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HJfqjczRmcY/VApECzE-hVI/AAAAAAAAJv4/yRqMOArsDgs/s1600/tumblr_mhxnddDXcy1renuivo1_500.gif
because one playoff series, and one particular highlight against a top 10 player of all time negates a career of defensive prowess? heck, for most of his career robinson did limit hakeem quite a bit

https://i.gyazo.com/c58daceedab10def75ecec46600fc064.png

unlike op i dont give a shit about some random list on goliath.com (tbh ambchang probably spends his free time googling kobe to find things to be upset about), but to act like robinson wasn't an all-time great defender because hakeem crushed him in one series is pretty retarded

kobe was a great defender in his youth, but he was still getting all defensive selections from 2009-2012 which were largely jokes tbh. he would still be an awesome man defender when he put the effort in (still remember that game where he shit on kyrie in a 4th quarter), but his effort was almost never there during those years, at least on defense. he was almost never defending team's best wing players (usually ariza or artest) and would always fall asleep off the ball. his defensive metrics were pretty awful those years.

spurraider21
05-30-2017, 01:37 PM
The list could do better by taking out asperger boy.
guess i was wrong. thought you were just being lazy. but cant fault you for doing your best

ambchang
05-30-2017, 02:19 PM

Kobe is overrated on a lot of things, clutch player, leader on a respectable winning team, his impact on a team's record, ... and being a lock down defender is one of them. He was actually really good early on in his natural 2nd fiddle role, playing next to Shaq, but he was just coasting on reputation after 2003, and basically got voted in due to his popularity more than anything else.

As for Robinson, no doubt he was destroyed by Hakeem, but he actually had to guard C and PF at the same time as Rodman was hanging underneath the basket trying to pad his rebounding stats. Shaq and Horace "held" Hakeem to 33ppg in the very next round with relentless double teaming, so Robinson actually did a decent job that series.

I agree with you on Kawhi, a little too early, and Bowen, Pippen, and even Artest should be considered a better perimeter defender than Kawhi from a career perspective. From a peak perspective, Kawhi is all-time material though, he just have to put in a few more years which he undoubtedly would, barring injuries.

hitmanyr2k
05-30-2017, 02:41 PM
I don't care about the order but Chris Paul is getting kicked off in favor of Moncrief. Dwight is getting kicked off in favor of Duncan or Robinson. Kobe is kicked off in favor of Pippen. The rest on the list a case can be made that they deserve to be there.

Arcadian
05-30-2017, 03:16 PM
Robinson would shit in Howard's cereal and force him to eat it. Faggot ass list.

Mitch
05-30-2017, 03:25 PM
guess i was wrong. thought you were just being lazy. but cant fault you for doing your best

Can't really pay much heed to the judgment of a guy that thinks aspergers deserves to be on the list, tbh :lol

Chris
05-30-2017, 05:12 PM
Dwight was a monster defender in Orlando. I remember.

Aztecfan03
05-31-2017, 04:26 AM

Most of the time he made it because of name recognition, not defense.

unleashbaynes
06-01-2017, 04:33 PM
Robinson would beat Howard's ass with a bible and force him to read it. Faggot ass list.

Fixed

But also fuck Howard being on that list.

DAF86
06-05-2017, 03:56 PM

Kobe is overrated on a lot of things, clutch player, leader on a respectable winning team, his impact on a team's record, ... and being a lock down defender is one of them. He was actually really good early on in his natural 2nd fiddle role, playing next to Shaq, but he was just coasting on reputation after 2003, and basically got voted in due to his popularity more than anything else.

As for Robinson, no doubt he was destroyed by Hakeem, but he actually had to guard C and PF at the same time as Rodman was hanging underneath the basket trying to pad his rebounding stats. Shaq and Horace "held" Hakeem to 33ppg in the very next round with relentless double teaming, so Robinson actually did a decent job that series.

I agree with you on Kawhi, a little too early, and Bowen, Pippen, and even Artest should be considered a better perimeter defender than Kawhi from a career perspective. From a peak perspective, Kawhi is all-time material though, he just have to put in a few more years which he undoubtedly would, barring injuries.

When you get b2b DPoY's, as a wing, there's no such thing as "too early" to be considered on an all-time great defenders list, tbh.

monosylab1k
06-05-2017, 05:31 PM
Another stupid list that thinks steals/blocks = good defense.

ambchang
06-05-2017, 05:46 PM
When you get b2b DPoY's, as a wing, there's no such thing as "too early" to be considered on an all-time great defenders list, tbh.

It's great but DPoY has been pretty much a joke for a while. Winning awards can also be a function of competition, defensive schemes and lately, narrratives.

Kawhi isn't a better defensively than say Pippen, and Pippen never won back to back. He's not equivalent to prime rodman yet both won b2b dpoy.

tonight...you
06-05-2017, 06:03 PM
It's great but DPoY has been pretty much a joke for a while. Winning awards can also be a function of competition, defensive schemes and lately, narrratives.

Kawhi isn't a better defensively than say Pippen, and Pippen never won back to back. He's not equivalent to prime rodman yet both won b2b dpoy.
Having seen all of them their entire careers, I respectfully disagree, but who cares.