PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Offseason Random Thoughts (Part 1)

raybies
05-30-2017, 07:41 PM
- If Tony Parker does indeed plan to come back in January, can you afford to pay Mills too? If you keep all three you might be forced to play small at the top. This is less than ideal. This situation is similar to when Patty didn't play cause of the shoulder injury and CoJo took his spot and really established himself. Can you afford to not play Murray at this point. PATFO has a tough decision this year on whether to stick with Tony or part with him. I think Mills contract situation should help the decision process immensely and if the rumors are true and Patty does get 10+ over a few years you have to pass. So this leads to the question what kind of backup do you need if Patty leaves? You can do a 1 year of Derrick Rose, but then what to do with Parker. A veteran pg that won't mind being a third string player would be ideal. Someone like Mack might work and the fact they run a similar offense in Utah is an added bonus.

-Is it really worth it to chase CP3 and what moves will we make that might lead us to believe that we will pursue him? I think it starts with the 1st round of the draft. If we draft and stash, trade down or trade all together I think it means PATFO believes they have a good chance. If they take someone like a domestic product then it's safe to say they aren't gonna go strong at CP3. I figure this cause the cap hit would most likely cause PATFO to have to trade another key player or waive one.

-Another thing to consider is if we sign CP3, would this put too much leverage in Aldridge's hands? Aldridge can almost demand a max or leave and I'm sure CP3 would want some clarification on the matter since Aldridge can opt out next year.

-What is the biggest position of need this year in the draft? I figure with history as our guide that we will stand pat for the most part and with Aldridge, Gasol, and likely Lee opting in, the rotation of bigs should be set leading me to believe that a guard or combo guard would be the biggest need. I severely doubt that Pop wants to roll with a rookie getting rotation minutes as a big. Most of the bigs we have drafted ride the pine for a year minimum at least and plus you already have Milutinov potentially waiting in the wings. If you could bring him over, he'd probably be more ready than any option in this year's draft.

-Also, do you look at seniors in this draft? I'm starting to think seniors are the new Euros. I'm looking at players that might be the next Brogdan or Draymond. Players that are more mature and more ready to play now. Can we afford to wait a few years at this point. I think the biggest emphasis on selections have to do with the ability to play on both sides of the ball. The more versatile the better.

SequSpur
05-30-2017, 07:52 PM
WTF? this post is stupid. It doesn't work that way dude. Look, do the math, the Spurs weren't going to beat Golden State with a brand new Ginobili or a Tony Parker. The tandem of Durant and Curry is devastating.

I've been saying this all the fuck along, the new Spurs are foolsgold dude. CP3 is not coming here so quit the bullshit. He is almost as washed up as Parker and Ginobili is. Look, Bertans is the new Bonner, Mills is terrible and only is good for a wide open three which is basically a layup done by everyone in the US that can put basketball shoes on. Look, I know a lot of you overrate your Spurs and Cowboy players and want to wish for the stars but let me tell you how it is.....

Mills is not good and isn't worth more than the average Joe shooting guard. This dude can't run the offense.

Ginobili is old, I mean come on, do the math.

Gasol is old, I mean come on, do the math. This dude needs to be persuaded to go fly a kite.

Parker is done, he was done before this injury.

Dedmon started half of the year and was sent to the dog house for whatever reason only that dementia carrying Popovich would know.

Dude, must we bring up slow mo? Fuck no, he needs to go to.

The only ballers we have are Kawhi, Aldridge, Murray, Forbes, Lee and my boy Simmons. The rest of these dudes need to get gone.

Dude CP3 isn't coming here, gtfo of here....

Stash and grab deez nutz....

SAGirl
05-30-2017, 08:01 PM
I like your last question. Malcolm Brogdon was an old senior last year. He's a 24 yrs old rookie this season.... yet there he was getting rotation and starter minutes in a young bucks team that made the playoffs and putting up an impressive rookie season for an underrated guard. A season ago, you could look at Norman Powell another senior that went in the second round taken by Toronto and who just had a very good sophomore season for them.

It's very possible to find good value in seniors I believe. You likely do not get a star but there are solid and even good role players to be found there.

raybies
05-30-2017, 08:18 PM
I like your last question. Malcolm Brogdon was an old senior last year. He's a 24 yrs old rookie this season.... yet there he was getting rotation and starter minutes in a young bucks team that made the playoffs and putting up an impressive rookie season for an underrated guard. A season ago, you could look at Norman Powell another senior that went in the second round taken by Toronto and who just had a very good sophomore season for them.

It's very possible to find good value in seniors I believe. You likely do not get a star but there are solid and even good role players to be found there.

Yeah i forgot to mention him. He's a perfect example. I can see going young for a higher ceiling, like a Murray type but I can also see finding an elite role player, with someone like Leonard, you might be able to win it all like that. I mean if you really think about Draymond is an elite role player like Iquodala was in Denver and Philly. But the think is if you find those types that can play both sides and have the experience don't you consider it more now imo. Powell, Brogdan, and Draymond all have something in common for starters and that's they can play both sides of the ball. This is the point I'm trying to make. Alot of these younger players have like one thing they are good at and need a few years to develop. Seniors, and by seniors i mean the elite ones that can play both sides, are severely underrated right now. Everyone wants to hit the next star in the draft but maybe you get a couple Powell or Brogdans in the draft and kind of build a little like that. It's mostly senior guards that are vastly underrated too cause if your big and you can do both that's likely lottery.

raybies
05-30-2017, 08:20 PM
WTF? this post is stupid. It doesn't work that way dude. Look, do the math, the Spurs weren't going to beat Golden State with a brand new Ginobili or a Tony Parker. The tandem of Durant and Curry is devastating.

I've been saying this all the fuck along, the new Spurs are foolsgold dude. CP3 is not coming here so quit the bullshit. He is almost as washed up as Parker and Ginobili is. Look, Bertans is the new Bonner, Mills is terrible and only is good for a wide open three which is basically a layup done by everyone in the US that can put basketball shoes on. Look, I know a lot of you overrate your Spurs and Cowboy players and want to wish for the stars but let me tell you how it is.....

Mills is not good and isn't worth more than the average Joe shooting guard. This dude can't run the offense.

Ginobili is old, I mean come on, do the math.

Gasol is old, I mean come on, do the math. This dude needs to be persuaded to go fly a kite.

Parker is done, he was done before this injury.

Dedmon started half of the year and was sent to the dog house for whatever reason only that dementia carrying Popovich would know.

Dude, must we bring up slow mo? Fuck no, he needs to go to.

The only ballers we have are Kawhi, Aldridge, Murray, Forbes, Lee and my boy Simmons. The rest of these dudes need to get gone.

Dude CP3 isn't coming here, gtfo of here....

Stash and grab deez nutz....
Nice mic drop. good post.

spursistan
05-30-2017, 08:23 PM
You should have prefaced this thread with "because I'm far too important to be be posting a random post in Robz's Offeason thread" ...:rolleyes

Seriously wtf? this like your 2nd or 3rd thread of its kind..Let's keep the discussion/ideas flowing from the original one..

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267754

raybies
05-30-2017, 08:25 PM
You should have prefaced this thread with "because I'm far too important to be be posting a random post in Robz's Offeason thread" ...:rolleyes

Seriously wtf? this like your 2nd or 3rd thread of its kind..Let's keep the discussion/ideas flowing from the original one..

seriously dude does it really matter? spurstalk members policing other members. when did that happen? i must of missed it. i'm just trying to contribute to a mostly dead site. forgive me

spurs10
05-30-2017, 09:12 PM
Yep will need a guard as priority! I'm not seeing anything crazy like gutting the team for CP3, but will need something.

SequSpur
05-30-2017, 09:57 PM

who the fuck are you?

raybies
06-22-2017, 11:44 PM
-

-Also, do you look at seniors in this draft? I'm starting to think seniors are the new Euros. I'm looking at players that might be the next Brogdan or Draymond. Players that are more mature and more ready to play now. Can we afford to wait a few years at this point. I think the biggest emphasis on selections have to do with the ability to play on both sides of the ball. The more versatile the better.

May of not got my players I wanted but the Spurs definitely went for seniors...

Snaq O'Meal
06-22-2017, 11:47 PM

PATFO obviously wanted immediate contributors. Hopefully, this is a new tact that sees the new guys getting more court time than rot away on the bench.

raybies
06-22-2017, 11:50 PM
PATFO obviously wanted immediate contributors. Hopefully, this is a new tact that sees the new guys getting more court time than rot away on the bench.

Yeah it made since this year to bring in cheap contracts that can potentially contribute especially if your trying to sign pricey players. White seems like a good kid and if Jaron can hit like 35% next year he'd be fine. He probably could do alot of what Iggy did this year. Iggy only averaged what 7 and 3. Just has to play defense, crash the boards, and occasionally hit the open 3 and he'd be fine.

SAGirl
06-23-2017, 04:33 AM
Deleted... double post

SAGirl
06-23-2017, 04:34 AM
I thought of you when I saw the age of the draftees. Good take. :toast