PDA

View Full Version : The Year 2020...

coachmac87
05-30-2017, 09:02 PM
The year 2020 IMO will be the year "The Spurs Era" will officially come to an end...Pop's contract will be up and he will probably finish his coaching career with the Olympics but mayb I'm wrong... I just think deep down that's the thought process of PATFO..shoot for a 6th ring in this 3 year window and life will go on with Spurs basketball..

Majority of the league has pretty much 2 options going forward..rebuild and wait for GSW to split up or wait patiently for LeBron to decline lol. Or you can swing for the fences and compete against the TWO teams who've made 3 consecutive Finals appearances. Boston Celtics have the best of both worlds..they came compete NOW yet build for the next 10 years with the lottery picks in their pipeline. I feel the Spurs are going to go ALL IN going forward..

Spurs are in a unique situation tbh.. "The Era" should be ending right now with the true foundation
of the past 15-20 years crumbling (Duncan/Manu retirements, Parker devastating injury) the only reason they are not in full rebuild mode is Kawhi Leonard..who the past 2 seasons has made a legitimate case of being the second best player in the world.....They cannot let this NEW WINDOW close and must take advantage of it.

Even though 2020 is the end game..the time to compete is NOW..starting this offseason. Which IMO is why they've been rumored going for CP3.. They gotta keep the momentum going and can't afford to take a step back. It's kind of the same logic they used in signing Gasol..yeah he's older and wasn't the ideal fit or long term answer..but signing him allowed PATFO to reduce the Post Duncan struggle and the obligation to compete (Kawhi, LMA). CP3 is 10x the player Gasol is and fits to what the team needs NOW in contention and grooming of Murray (Who BTW has a personal relationship with Paul).

Spurs will be exploring ALL options to contend/compete in this window and tbh the only player untouchable is Kawhi. Some suggest to kick the can down the road and make moves in the 18' offseason..which could happen..I just think they're swinging for the fence this year FIRST. I think letting go of Parker is more of a possibility then some think..and if Paul gives them the green light they won't say NO..No player not named Duncan is more then the franchise. Yes it may not be the way to go but Parkers contract can't hold Kawhi and the Spurs hostage...

This will be the most fascinating offseason in Spurs history good or bad tbh....The clock starts now

TimDunkem
05-30-2017, 09:03 PM
Paul isn't coming here.

apalisoc_9
05-30-2017, 09:05 PM
I've never enounctered a more terrible, vanilla, casual thread and Post by an OP in the last 7 years.

Should have just sticked to your shitty podcast.

7 paraghraphs of garbage. It's like the dumpster area of detorit. Not even just straight up trash..but a place where all the trash are collected. Garbage.

raybies
05-30-2017, 09:06 PM
Very interesting.

I like looking at this offseason from that perspective. kind of makes things alot more clearer.

raybies
05-30-2017, 09:08 PM
And I agree about Pop retiring 2020. Hopefully Coach Bud is back by then. I'm not sold on Messina.

Play Boban
05-30-2017, 09:10 PM
:lol

coachmac87
05-30-2017, 09:14 PM
Paul isn't coming here.

Probably not but they're gonna try..just like thru did with KD. If he hr stays in LAC they'll adjust accordingly

coachmac87
05-30-2017, 09:17 PM
I've never enounctered a more terrible, vanilla, casual thread and Post by an OP in the last 7 years.

7 paraghraphs of garbage. It's like the dumpster area of detorit. Not even just straight up trash..but a place where all the trash are collected. Garbage.

Good to know you've listened to my podcast and I'm living rent free bruh...

How about you continue making Kawhi "Fan Boy" threads..

apalisoc_9
05-30-2017, 09:21 PM

:lmao

Keepin' it real
05-30-2017, 10:06 PM
The year 2020

I prefer the year 2525.

http://images.45cat.com/zager-and-evans-in-the-year-2525-exordium-and-terminus-rca-victor-3.jpg

TheDoctor
05-30-2017, 11:18 PM
Probably not but they're gonna try..just like thru did with KD. If he hr stays in LAC they'll adjust accordingly

They didn't even try w/ KD. That was a formality, a pro-forma. Not even Kawhi went to that meet.

Spur|n|Austin
05-30-2017, 11:23 PM
Paul isn't coming here.

Where'd you hear that?

tholdren
05-30-2017, 11:26 PM
How is this thread not shut down. Shit post

raybies
05-30-2017, 11:38 PM
How is this thread not shut down. Shit post
if you think this post is crap I wonder what you think a good post is...

SAGirl
05-30-2017, 11:56 PM
if you think this post is crap I wonder what you think a good post is...
Some post hating on some Spur is a start :tu

BillMc
05-31-2017, 12:38 AM
2020? Sign a few replicants to short term contracts.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-31-2017, 12:53 AM
Unless Kawhi suffers a career altering injury or drops off the face of the earth he'll carry the Spurs even past 2020 and Pop.

coachmac87
05-31-2017, 07:50 AM
Unless Kawhi suffers a career altering injury or drops off the face of the earth he'll carry the Spurs even past 2020 and Pop.

Or how about signing an extension? His contract is up in a couple years and I believe the same time as Pops...who will be 74.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-31-2017, 08:26 AM
Or how about signing an extension? His contract is up in a couple years and I believe the same time as Pops...who will be 74.

Kawhi will sign the supermax extension next summer.

coachmac87
05-31-2017, 08:36 AM
Kawhi will sign the supermax extension next summer.

You don't know that for sure and if you're PATFO you can't just assume that...

ducks
05-31-2017, 09:21 AM
the year trump gets relected

MaNu4Tres
05-31-2017, 09:56 AM
Very short sighted and long winded post by OP.

MaNu4Tres
05-31-2017, 10:57 AM

Pop is 68. In 2023, Pop will be 74. The team will be in good hands, RC & Pop wouldnt hire an idiot to tear everything down. RC will still be here and Pop will prob still have his hand in a lot of decisions since he is the President of Spurs basketball. Theyre many bright basketball minds who can coach that arent named Pop.

coachmac87
05-31-2017, 12:08 PM
Pop is 68. In 2023, Pop will be 74. The team will be in good hands, RC & Pop wouldnt hire an idiot to tear everything down. RC will still be here and Pop will prob still have his hand in a lot of decisions since he is the President of Spurs basketball. Theyre many bright basketball minds who can coach that arent named Pop.

Maybe so but what's appealing NOW for free agents/players etc is they want to PLAY for Pop...with both Pop and Kawhi contracts expiring in next couple years just leaves a lot of unknowns..

I do think it's very possible Pop steps down from coaching once his contract expires though and he's hinted at with his own statements.

MultiTroll
05-31-2017, 12:58 PM
I do think it's very possible Pop steps down from coaching once his contract expires though and he's hinted at with his own statements.
Meh wasn't he on record as saying he would leave when Duncan left?
Although one would think after 2020 he would bail regardless.
Lets see if he can go better then .500 in the next 3 years playoffs. :depressed

coachmac87
05-31-2017, 01:12 PM
Meh wasn't he on record as saying he would leave when Duncan left?
Although one would think after 2020 he would bail regardless.
Lets see if he can go better then .500 in the next 3 years playoffs. :depressed

He did. But he also said he has obligations to stay throughout the LMA contract..obviously the emergence of a MVP candidate (Kawhi) helps too but unlike some on this board...I'm not gonna assume Kawhi is gonna stick around past his contract especially with the unknown of Pop

MaNu4Tres
05-31-2017, 02:01 PM
Maybe so but what's appealing NOW for free agents/players etc is they want to PLAY for Pop...with both Pop and Kawhi contracts expiring in next couple years just leaves a lot of unknowns..

People need to stop relying on Free Agency to save the franchise. That avenue has never been the godsend that has put SA over the top. And it wont ever really ever be. Why is that? Because Free Agency is less valuable than it ever has been before with the new CBA. Players, great players, are incentivized to stay with their teams. And then you have most of all young attractive free agents being restricted. Not only this, but its the one avenue where a team has to pay an expensive pric, which may be above market value, to acquire average talent.

Spurs need to keep plugging away at the draft ( this draft has a lot of value at end of 1st/ early 2nd, Id like them to find a way to attract another pick or two). Utilizing the the 1st round picks efficiently, finding undrafted free agent gems or 2nd round picks that can be solid role players is the key with the hopes of hitting on 1 or 2 that can be stars.

Just because Spurs may not be major players in free agency hypothetically doesnt mean this franchise is doomed by any stretch.

SpursBig3s
05-31-2017, 02:33 PM
I don't know why most say the plan is to wait until 2018. That crop of free agents is Boogie, Paul George, and nothing else. That free agent class is awful

coachmac87
05-31-2017, 02:40 PM
People need to stop relying on Free Agency to save the franchise. That avenue has never been the godsend that has put SA over the top. And it wont ever really ever be. Why is that? Because Free Agency is less valuable than it ever has been before with the new CBA. Players, great players, are incentivized to stay with their teams. And then you have most of all young attractive free agents being restricted. Not only this, but its the one avenue where a team has to pay an expensive pric, which may be above market value, to acquire average talent.

Spurs need to keep plugging away at the draft ( this draft has a lot of value at end of 1st/ early 2nd, Id like them to find a way to attract another pick or two). Utilizing the the 1st round picks efficiently, finding undrafted free agent gems or 2nd round picks that can be solid role players is the key.

Just because Spurs may not be major players in free agency hypothetically doesnt mean this franchise is doomed by any stretch.

It's not just Free Agency I agree but current NBA veterans that could get bought out traded etc. The Spurs are appealing to others cause of Pop and his culture etc. I think they'll lose that appeal once Pop calls it quits and especially if Kawhi goes elsewhere.

I agree the draft is the better route and that goes for every sport...but we're talking about kids that are 18-20 yrs old and at the later part of the rounds..very rarely they make immediate impacts and we know how Pop treats younger players. I'm not against drafting players but I feel Spurs are looking for immediate impact player to contend in this window right now..

It's all about contending these next 2-3 years while Kawhi is in his prime and under contract..pretty much gotta treat him like LeBron who im sure would take an experienced vet who can help win TODAY over a young pup at the end of the draft who's supposed to be the difference maker

DieHardSpursFan1537
05-31-2017, 04:04 PM
Even though 2020 is the end game..

Fuck off you pussy faggot. This thread is hot garbage

SAGirl
05-31-2017, 04:25 PM
It's not just Free Agency I agree but current NBA veterans that could get bought out traded etc. The Spurs are appealing to others cause of Pop and his culture etc. I think they'll lose that appeal once Pop calls it quits and especially if Kawhi goes elsewhere.

I agree the draft is the better route and that goes for every sport...but we're talking about kids that are 18-20 yrs old and at the later part of the rounds..very rarely they make immediate impacts and we know how Pop treats younger players. I'm not against drafting players but I feel Spurs are looking for immediate impact player to contend in this window right now..

It's all about contending these next 2-3 years while Kawhi is in his prime and under contract..pretty much gotta treat him like LeBron who im sure would take an experienced vet who can help win TODAY over a young pup at the end of the draft who's supposed to be the difference maker
LeBron took Kevin Love over Wiggins.

MaNu4Tres
05-31-2017, 04:33 PM

Its always been about contending. This team isnt that far away despite LA becoming an average starter, TP regressing further, and Pau being unplayable when it mattered most. By no means is this a win or die free agency situation for the franchise like your whole post implies. 2020 wont be THE END.

Even if Spurs whiff on FAs, they shld be better next yr despite LA, Pau & TP regressing more ( if they are still on the team). Murray, Simmons, Bertans, Kawhi will all be better and their 1st should be a solid contributor off the bench if they pick one of Bell, Adebayo or Wilson. One of those three would have an opportunity like Blair did his rookie year because there wont be proven depth there to block off minutes. Pop has played rookies when veteran depth hasnt been there. And it likely wont be this year in front court if Dedmon & Pau are off the team.

MaNu4Tres
05-31-2017, 04:37 PM
LeBron took Kevin Love over Wiggins.

Love was a young up and coming All Star who played a position of need for Cleveland. That was a no brainer because Wiggins played a position that was redundant. Your post implies Love was some old vet at the time. He wasnt.

SAGirl
05-31-2017, 04:45 PM
Love was a young up and coming All Star who played a position of need for Cleveland. That was a no brainer because Wiggins played a position that was redundant. Your post implies Love was some old vet at the time. He wasnt.
Nah I am not implying anything. Wiggins actually likes to play the SG spot as he's rather skinny and has played quite a lot of SG. Love was an established player, Wiggins while a talented 1st pick was going to take time to reach Love's stage of play if he did at all.

MaNu4Tres
05-31-2017, 04:57 PM
Nah I am not implying anything. Wiggins actually likes to play the SG spot as he's rather skinny and has played quite a lot of SG. Love was an established player, Wiggins while a talented 1st pick was going to take time to reach Love's stage of play if he did at all.

Let me ask..What does this have to do with my point? Im not getting off track but Love was a young All Star that provided better roster balance being a front court player and not a wing ( SG/ SF are essentially same my saying his take and point is way off by implying its now or never with CP3.

My whole take is based around saying his take and point is way off by implying its now or never with CP3 and Spurs have to go all in because 2020 is the end.

Joseph Kony
05-31-2017, 04:58 PM
pointless thread tbh....in 2013, no one was making threads about how in 3 years GS would be dominant and Lebron would be in cleveland. point is that so many variables involved and so much shit can change between now and then, its pointless to speculate about our "window" 3 years down the line. we have a top 3 player in the world and hes only 25....i think we'll be in good shape either way

spursistan
05-31-2017, 05:00 PM
No team that has a top 2 player in the world in his prime will kick the can down road..there are no guarantees 4 or 5 years from now even with Leonard himself (he is not injury-pone, but he is clearly not bulletproof healthwise).

Their window is to sneak one in between a Warriors/Cavs on the decline from mileage/age and before the rise of the next force in both conferences (Wolves? Bucks? Celtics?)..

SAGirl
05-31-2017, 05:07 PM
Let me ask..What does this have to do with either of points?

Im simply saying his OP is way off by implying its now or never with CP3.
I am quite neutral in this bc I myself preferred that Pop would have played the young players more this season to begin with. Coach was just making a point I think that players in win now mode like LeBron were looking for other win now players like Love instead of potential sometime down the road like Wiggins at the time.

Kawhi is younger than LeBron was at the time though with a larger window than LeBron has and he's not as popular as LeBron who has gotten the teammates he wants and even gotten them paid, probably a good reason everyone wants to play with him. Kawhi is not that and the Spurs are not Cleveland FO either. They have always built and developed through the draft. They have gotten him win now players to help but it's inescapable that they need to develop bc they are hemorrhaging depth and now it's going to get to the point of hemorrhaging young depth and that's not sound FO management... so I guess they are doing a little bit of both but they will need Murray to progress quickly and Keep developing others. As much as Pop doesn't like to rely on youngsters he's been having to develop them right now.

MaNu4Tres
05-31-2017, 05:12 PM
No team that has a top 2 player in the world in his prime will kick the can down road..there are no guarantees 4 or 5 years from now even with Leonard himself (he is not injury-pone, but he is clearly not bulletproof healthwise).

Their window is to sneak one in between a Warriors/Cavs on the decline from mileage/age and before the rise of the next force in both conferences (Wolves? Bucks? Celtics?)..
Im just glad Pop and RC didnt take on this advice by trading Tim for Pippen or Tony for GP.

Its not kicking the can at all. Kawhi window is large. Spurs will be perennial 55+ win top 4 team with real shots at taking on GS the next 5-10 yrs. Kawhi wont leave that. Keep developing youth, keep drafting well, be smart with undrafted FAs. 2020 is not the end.

coachmac87
05-31-2017, 05:22 PM
Let me ask..What does this have to do with my point? Im not getting off track but Love was a young All Star that provided better roster balance being a front court player and not a wing ( SG/ SF are essentially same my saying his take and point is way off by implying its now or never with CP3.

My whole take is based around saying his take and point is way off by implying its now or never with CP3 and Spurs have to go all in because 2020 is the end.

I said the Spurs era as we know it could end in 2020..I don't see how that's not realistic? Duncan, Manu, Parker will be retired and Pop contract will be up...

What happens between NOW and 2020 will determine if Pop sticks around or if Kawhi is still here. And regarding the Love/Wiggins comparison SA Girl mentioned is accurate. LeBron wanted Love over Wiggins because Love was an established player in the NBA ready to help contend. LeBron didn't have time to see what type of player he could become even though Wiggins ceiling was or is way higher then Loves...oh and Wiggins was not picked at 29 either

And I'm also not saying THIS offseason will be the make or break year but it will determine what direction they could be going forward..whether that's in 18' or the year after.

And this isn't a PRO CP3 thread I only mentioned him due to the Spurs rumored to go after a MAX 32yr old..kinda just goes along with my point that the Spurs are more focused on the next couple of years other then the next 4.

SAGirl
05-31-2017, 05:22 PM

This is a good take too. Spurs can't take anything for granted. Kawhi just needs a legit No 2 who is not going to fold. Spurs have always been good at developing and finding role players but they do need a legit second star and Lamacus has been disappointing there. That's why him playing solis defense etc wasn't enough.

coachmac87
05-31-2017, 05:28 PM
And don't think for a second that Kawhi could be enticed leaving SA just like Duncan was..Duncan stayed because of Pop and because they won and could continue to compete together..

I dunno if Kawhi will have that luxury once his contract is expired. I honestly hope that won't be the case but I'm not gonna be naive and assume Kawhi will be here for the next 5-10 years

SAGirl
05-31-2017, 05:46 PM

Thinking about this I remember how OKC assumed they would contend and eventually win for years and didn't act with a state of sufficient urgency. This is not like OKC which used to have a young talented core. Kawhi's young teammates are questionable for different reasons each and I do believe if one of them becomes a let's say top 20-30 player, considering their youth Pop is not letting that guy go... so the situations are different, what's similar is the sense of urgency small market teams need to have when they have a young top player in the league.

I think Spurs have exhibited that. They have gotten the best available players that they could get him. I would say the decline and retirement of the old big 3 is what has created a hole and that was inevitable. Father time does get everyone at some point.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-31-2017, 07:28 PM
Eventually someone will be right in predicting the 'window closing'. The league is currently so weak that the Spurs could legitimately be a top 8 team for the next three seasons even without adding any significant pieces. Vets in their twilight years will always be attracted to the Spurs 'system' I think.

But Kawhi can't put this team over the top by himself. The team makeup is already reminiscent of the David Robinson era where the Spurs only went as far as Big Dave could carry them. From a championship perspective, I think the window has already closed, unless, that is, the Spurs can upgrade in a hurry. Top 7 or 8, no problem, that's locked in as long as Kawhi is healthy and in his prime.

dabom
05-31-2017, 07:31 PM
Sign me up RC. :hat

coachmac87
05-31-2017, 07:35 PM
Sign me up RC. :hat

You're my guy

dabom
05-31-2017, 07:39 PM

John B
06-02-2017, 07:46 AM
Players like Anthony Davis who like a chance of championship and greatness will be knocking sooner than later. And with MVP Kawhi I see them going past 2020. Maybe Manu will be coaching then and TP part of the FO.

SASdynasty!
06-03-2017, 09:37 AM
I agree with the 2020 closing if Parker gets one more extension. Otherwise, 2018 tbh.

houston spurs fan
06-04-2017, 12:07 AM

Ordinarily I don't agree with this Filipina but she is spot on here. Useless thread.

coachmac87
04-15-2018, 12:58 PM
Pretty interesting stuff in this thread...

coachmac87
06-15-2018, 11:24 AM
Bump

BillMc
06-15-2018, 11:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUbWWXFQcck