https://youtu.be/Pnm4lTM5Oao

Splits

lefty
05-31-2017, 09:48 PM
Goid stuff on One and Done players too.

Agreed, skip NCAA

TDMVPDPOY
05-31-2017, 11:13 PM
the kent has to say whatever to protect the product...

06-01-2017, 06:30 AM

lefty
06-01-2017, 07:57 AM

ambchang
06-01-2017, 11:14 AM
I'd be interested in seeing the NBA using the G-league as some sort of farm system, that way, the league can get better look at prospects, and actually develop players in a controlled environment. There is no way the owners will go back to allowing straight out of HS to the NBA drafting. Too many variables, not enough data points to truly evaluate talent, and teams are not willing to put in million dollar investments into unknowns.

That said, NCAA would go crazy over this, as they would lose their free labour and main stream of revenue.

As for super teams, it's hilarious trying to see him twist the definition and play with semantics, he almost sounds like a Spurstalk poster there. The Warriors are a superteam and that is that. And the reasons they are a superteam are:
a) The one time jump in salary cap allows teams to sign big time players with that jump
b) The league turned a blind eye when clear collusion was taking place with on-court recruiting
c) The league changed the rules to pretty much disallow perimeter defense, which allowed teams of shooters and passers to be pretty much unstoppable. Once a team figures out all they need to do is find a stretch five who can defend, they dominate.

The league created this environment, and they are refusing to own out to it. It's a pity really.

Thread
06-01-2017, 11:42 AM
Goid stuff on One and Done players too.

Agreed, skip *NCAA

*That they're even in the process is a fuckin' disgrace.

06-01-2017, 12:11 PM
*That they're even in the process is a fuckin' disgrace.
I agree but you almost have to admire them :lol the fact that they've been able to run one of the biggest and most successful scams ever for this long, all done in broad daylight and with the publics approval is pretty remarkable tbh

Capt Bringdown
06-01-2017, 10:08 PM
NBA set attendance records this year. Ratings will likely be huge for the finals.
They're just playing by the numbers: there's more casual fans than basketball fans, and the casual fans apparently LOVE the super-team concept.
Don't expect superteams to go away anytime soon.

midnightpulp
06-01-2017, 10:34 PM
NBA set attendance records this year. Ratings will likely be huge for the finals.
They're just playing by the numbers: there's more casual fans than basketball fans, and the casual fans apparently LOVE the super-team concept.
Don't expect superteams to go away anytime soon.

Pretty much this. Casual fans have taken over as the primary fanbase for the NBA. It's why NBA is by far the most relevant sport on social media and also why the NBA builds its brand around storylines and stars.

I don't care about what Lebron has to say on twitter. I don't care about Draymond mouthing off to other teams. I just want basketball. But the casual fans need those aspects to stay engaged. Silver knows where the bread is buttered.

Clipper Nation
06-01-2017, 10:37 PM
That's not just an NBA thing, tbh. The MLB and college sports are the only ones still catering to diehards anymore.

With that said, casuals are fickle. They will tune out if the product keeps heading in this current direction and we don't start getting competitive playoff series and games again. Then the league will be facing a crisis.

lefty
06-01-2017, 10:38 PM
Mlb?
Sport ?

06-01-2017, 10:43 PM
Mlb?
Sport ?

midnightpulp
06-01-2017, 10:44 PM
That's not just an NBA thing, tbh. The MLB and college sports are the only ones still catering to diehards anymore.

With that said, casuals are fickle. They will tune out if the product keeps heading in this current direction and we don't start getting competitive playoff series and games again. Then the league will be facing a crisis.

NHL still caters to the hardcore, as well. The NFL is obviously an advertisement sideshow now that cares more about keeping fantasy players watching than actual football fans :lol

Basketball is trending toward the bombastic NFL aesthetic and I don't like it.

Clipper Nation
06-01-2017, 10:47 PM
NHL still caters to the hardcore, as well.
The NHL is just as guilty as the NBA and NFL of shoving certain players, storylines and markets down our throats all the time for the casual fans. The difference is that Gary Bettman is an idiot, so he sucks at it compared to those other leagues.

The NFL is obviously an advertisement sideshow now that cares more about keeping fantasy players watching than actual football fans :lol

Basketball is trending toward the bombastic NFL aesthetic and I don't like it.
I don't know about that. Nothing is more overblown, pompous or joyless than today's NFL.

tbdog
06-03-2017, 08:30 AM
It will be interesting if there are a lot of top heavy teams next season and a whole lot of turds. Imagine CP goes to Spurs. P George and Hayward go to Celtics. Griffin goes to Rockets. There will be 2 good East teams and three good west teams, and a whole lot of junk.

HarlemHeat37
06-03-2017, 02:46 PM
People used to love super teams in the 80s, tbh..obviously a major difference is that one of the 2 had Larry Bird and Kevin McHale as its best players:lol

DMC
06-03-2017, 04:37 PM
People used to love super teams in the 80s, tbh..obviously a major difference is that one of the 2 had Larry Bird and Kevin McHale as its best players:lol

Another difference is that you only had one or two stations who broadcast the games so the games you saw were the best players in the NBA most likely. These days you can watch every single NBA game so you naturally want to see some parity between the teams.

There's no real talent coming out of college or HS anymore. It's been too long since a transcendent talent like Durant or Lebron came along. Sure the league has some great young players like KAT and Embiid, but they are on shit teams that really don't get much play because they suck. That's why people like that will migrate to teams that need them. OKC didn't need Durant. They weren't going to win a ring. Presti was going to keep putting shitty role guys around him and letting Westbrook run amok on the floor. They are a fool's gold team with a ceiling installed by that type of offense.

I am not worried about super teams. If the market can bear it, it will survive. If not, it won't survive. I'm more concerned about the massive amount of shitty teams that end up in the lottery every year. Something needs to be done to get 1st round picks to middle of the road teams, not to the bottom dwellers where the high end talent will rot and not be developed for 4 or 5 years, and maybe get injured as we've seen so much of lately with Parker, Embiid, Randle and such.

Imagine KAT in Dallas or Houston, or even in Utah. Imagine Embiid with the Celtics or Spurs. By the time these guys become free agents, the hype surrounding them has often faded. Of course, the plus to having them on shit teams is that they get a lot of minutes.

Thread
06-03-2017, 09:14 PM
It's still incredible to realize that the Finals were tape delayed as late as '80.

DPG21920
06-04-2017, 01:06 PM
Another difference is that you only had one or two stations who broadcast the games so the games you saw were the best players in the NBA most likely. These days you can watch every single NBA game so you naturally want to see some parity between the teams.

There's no real talent coming out of college or HS anymore. It's been too long since a transcendent talent like Durant or Lebron came along. Sure the league has some great young players like KAT and Embiid, but they are on shit teams that really don't get much play because they suck. That's why people like that will migrate to teams that need them. OKC didn't need Durant. They weren't going to win a ring. Presti was going to keep putting shitty role guys around him and letting Westbrook run amok on the floor. They are a fool's gold team with a ceiling installed by that type of offense.

I am not worried about super teams. If the market can bear it, it will survive. If not, it won't survive. I'm more concerned about the massive amount of shitty teams that end up in the lottery every year. Something needs to be done to get 1st round picks to middle of the road teams, not to the bottom dwellers where the high end talent will rot and not be developed for 4 or 5 years, and maybe get injured as we've seen so much of lately with Parker, Embiid, Randle and such.

Imagine KAT in Dallas or Houston, or even in Utah. Imagine Embiid with the Celtics or Spurs. By the time these guys become free agents, the hype surrounding them has often faded. Of course, the plus to having them on shit teams is that they get a lot of minutes.

I argued the same thing years ago and came up with an easy solution.

LkrFan
06-04-2017, 01:06 PM

Pssst! Heads up yo! CP0 is eligible for $207M, just like that! :lol

DMC
06-04-2017, 01:27 PM
I argued the same thing years ago and came up with an easy solution.

I remember that and I've seen similar talk from other NBA folks but nothing from the NBA itself.

DPG21920
06-04-2017, 03:16 PM
I remember that and I've seen similar talk from other NBA folks but nothing from the NBA itself.

The arguments against that is "parity" which I think is sillly anyways. But it's especially silly in context of arguing against it because of parity while then having "super teams".

DPG21920
06-04-2017, 03:22 PM

Here's the thread: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207199&highlight=Odds

DMC
06-04-2017, 04:06 PM
I agreed with you there :lol

DPG21920
06-04-2017, 08:04 PM
I agreed with you there :lol

I know. Was just saying I agree with you as well and think that hits at the root of any "problem"

Clipper Nation
06-04-2017, 09:16 PM
Pssst! Heads up yo! CP0 is eligible for $207M, just like that! :lol
Psst, Heriberto - you're eligible for deportation:

http://i.imgur.com/NJTMyxe.jpg

Just like that. :downspin:

spurs10
06-04-2017, 09:50 PM
Everyone is going to tune out because no one cares if R.C. Durbeta gets his ring or not. 2007 was high drama compared to WWE/NBA. Ticket sales will wane and television is bound to lose viewership.

DMC
06-04-2017, 11:03 PM
Yeah if the Spurs don't win, it's really not even worth having an NBA any more.

mudyez
06-05-2017, 06:47 AM
Actually thats the first Finals I'm not watching since 1993.

And I have league pass. KD ruined the league for me.

lefty
06-05-2017, 07:57 AM
Actually thats the first Finals I'm not watching since 1993.

And I have league pass. KD ruined the league for me.
Det triple OT game

Strategic
06-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Don't believe shoving parity down these players' throats is a good option for the league.

JoeTait75
06-05-2017, 11:20 AM

Sports fans have a tendency to favor management over labor. They don't like it when the players themselves take the lead in forming super teams but they have no problem with owners and front offices doing it. The Celtics and Lakers formed their '80s super teams by taking advantage of financially struggling and inept franchises (Lakers getting the #1 picks in the 1979 and '82 drafts from the New Orleans Jazz and the Cavaliers for peanuts, Celtics getting Parish and McHale from the Warriors for Joe Barry Carroll). I don't see why that's any more right or wrong than players doing the same thing, but whatever.